PDA

View Full Version : MacWorld New York Keynote 2002

arn
Jul 8, 2002, 06:38 PM
MacWorld NY Keynote to be broadcast (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwny02/) in Quicktime:

Watch Apple CEO Steve Jobs deliver the Macworld Expo keynote address from the Jacob K. Javits Center in New York. See the live webcast right here on July 17 at 9am ET exclusively in QuickTime. It's an event you won't want to miss.

Backtothemac
Jul 8, 2002, 07:33 PM
I wonder if Apple will start with the hype this week? Beyond the rumor sites.....

shadowfax0
Jul 8, 2002, 09:43 PM
If someone could PLEASE save the keynote for me I'd be truly greatful, post it on KDX (AmbitiousLemon, you have a server, think you might be able to post it there?) Otherwise please send me a PM and just hold on to it, so I can get back to you and give you my email, or whatever, THANKS!!! :D

Rower_CPU
Jul 8, 2002, 09:55 PM
I'm still waiting to see if TechTV announces that they are broadcasting it...

billiam0878
Jul 8, 2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

Same here. Beats the streaming webcast doesn't it! ;)

Bill

Nipsy
Jul 8, 2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by shadowfax0
If someone could PLEASE save the keynote for me I'd be truly greatful, post it on KDX (AmbitiousLemon, you have a server, think you might be able to post it there?) Otherwise please send me a PM and just hold on to it, so I can get back to you and give you my email, or whatever, THANKS!!! :D

You can ususally get these from Apple long after the speech has ended. Someone here will post a link to the stream, which will be saved on Apple/Akamai servers for you to watch when you've got time.

iH8Quark
Jul 9, 2002, 12:10 AM
I've got $20 on Steve wearing a black shirt and jeans. :D

fuge
Jul 9, 2002, 12:25 AM
For the first time in history Mr. Jobs will wear a white mock turtleneck to show off the now PowerMac line which will all be in a stunning white case.

-fuge

jayscheuerle
Jul 9, 2002, 08:54 AM
Can anyone out there actually view these things? We've got a T1 line at work and if I do get the stream (BIG if), then it's practically unwatchable & the sound kicks in and out. It's easier to read a play by play....

DavPeanut
Jul 9, 2002, 12:39 PM
I cant get RT streaming video, even though I can watch 300k sec. quality prerecorded video from apple quicktime immediatly after I click on it. Then I go to Nick.com, and I get an error.

nickgold
Jul 9, 2002, 01:40 PM
Does anybody know if Tech TV will air the keynote live? I think they've done this in the past, correct?

Rower_CPU
Jul 9, 2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by nickgold
Does anybody know if Tech TV will air the keynote live? I think they've done this in the past, correct?

They haven't announced it yet...:(

job
Jul 9, 2002, 02:30 PM
Didn't TechTv bash the last keynote?

Rower_CPU
Jul 9, 2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by hitman
Didn't TechTv bash the last keynote?

Hardly...Chris Breen from MacWorld magazine was there providing play-by-play analysis...

I think you're probably confusing it with Dvorak's diatribes.:p

blackpeter
Jul 9, 2002, 04:13 PM
I'm sure TechTV will cover it. They've done it for the past 3 MW's, so I'd say it's become a kind of tradition for them.

audiopainter
Jul 9, 2002, 04:53 PM
Let's not forget about the Apple Stores. Last MW I watched the keynote live from the International Plaza in Tampa, Florida surrounded by other mac fans. It was great! Plus, if Apple unveils a product available immediately, you will really be one of the first to get it (before supplies run out in the store) or use it.:cool:

Rower_CPU
Jul 9, 2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by audiopainter
Let's not forget about the Apple Stores. Last MW I watched the keynote live from the International Plaza in Tampa, Florida surrounded by other mac fans. It was great! Plus, if Apple unveils a product available immediately, you will really be one of the first to get it (before supplies run out in the store) or use it.:cool:

Good point, and welcome to the forums!

I prefer watching it from home, since I have to be in at work immediately afterwards...but watching it at the local Apple Store would be great fun under different circumstances!:)

job
Jul 9, 2002, 05:42 PM
I think you're probably confusing it with Dvorak's diatribes.:p

Oops. :D

Rower_CPU
Jul 9, 2002, 09:36 PM
Here's an email I just got from the TechTV folks regarding the keynote:
Hey folks, I bugged and bugged, and finally someone gave me a hint.
_
I am told the keynote will be in it's entirety, but I cannot promise it will be totally uninterrupted._I also do not have the schedule as yet._ I hear whispers of Brent Larson again, and he did a fine job for you last time.
_
I hope you enjoy the coverage

Cindy Wakeman/WUGNET
for TechTV Audience Feedback
feedback@techtv.com
http://www.techtv.com
_

Sounds like a confirmation to me!:D

King Cobra
Jul 9, 2002, 10:41 PM
>(iH8Quark)I've got $20 on Steve wearing a black shirt and jeans. :D

>(fuge)For the first time in history Mr. Jobs will wear a white mock turtleneck to show off the now PowerMac line which will all be in a stunning white case.

What are you two bullsh!!ting about now? The color of Steve's clothes? You two must really be out there... :D

Guys, regarding the Expo using streaming Quicktime...I managed to capture a lot on the San Fransisco Expo with 28.8k dial-up. I lost the video much more often than the sound (but with *****ty dial-up this "foolish mortal" won't have better luck! :D).

szark
Jul 9, 2002, 10:58 PM

I prefer watching it from home, since I have to be in at work immediately afterwards...but watching it at the local Apple Store would be great fun under different circumstances!:)

I thought about the Apple Store too, but if it starts at 9 am ET that would be 6 am here -- somehow I don't think they'd open that early... ;)

sinbushar
Jul 10, 2002, 08:34 AM
other than the upgrades in their various lines...the keynote is definately gonna be devoted to switching PC-users to Apples, this is a guarantee...

adel

gropo
Jul 10, 2002, 10:31 AM
I'm getting up "butt crack" early in the morning and riding my pretty Raleigh over to the SoHo 'Gap-ple' in an attempt to suckle the big-screen 'electronic teete' in there... Maybe I'll get lucky, maybe not.

Mr. G4
Jul 15, 2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by szark

I thought about the Apple Store too, but if it starts at 9 am ET that would be 6 am here -- somehow I don't think they'd open that early... ;)

I think it's 9:00 am PS:D

mmmdreg
Jul 15, 2002, 09:06 PM
I'll be up for a latish night here in Sydney to watch it..

G4scott
Jul 15, 2002, 09:44 PM
I have Road RUnner cable internet access, and it works fine for streaming the keynote. I just start the stream, and set it for full screen mode, bust out the popcorn, drinks, and my big foam finger that says "Apple is #1" This year, I might hook up my computer to the TV and listen with 5.1 surround sound... :D

Okay, so maybe I don't have the big foam finger, but the rest is true... My only problem is that my new band director wants all of the officers, which includes me, to be at the band hall to get to know each other, and do stuff to get ready for the coming school year. This wouldn't be bad, if it wasn't half way through the keynote! I think I'll take my trusty iBook, though, and connect at school, assuming that the network is up (which it usually is during the summer) and our network nazi hasn't found a way to block streaming content...

Does anyone know how to set up a router/computer to work kind of like a proxy server, where I can set it up to use one port from the school (a proxy server), and have that port set back to port 80 when it gets to the server (which would be my computer) and sent out to the internet? It would be really cool, because I'd make a ten-thousand dollar computer that our school district bought basically worthless... Even though this last paragraph doesn't have anything to do with the keynote, any help would be appreciated...

pgwalsh
Jul 16, 2002, 07:42 PM
So, will SJ be sporting a beard or not? Anyone placing bets?

Rower_CPU
Jul 16, 2002, 08:12 PM
Looks like Apple put the smackdown on people broadcasting the keynote:
Mac Enthusiasts;
_
I, like you, have been wondering why there was nothing on our site about the MacWorld schedule._ I've been bugging those in house every day, and getting told we plan to carry it, and are making arrangements.
_
I got the final word today._
_
I'm very sorry to tell you we are not carrying Steve Jobs Keynote from Mac World in New York on Wednesday. Apple will not allow us to air it live or in it's entirety. I was not given reasons, just told that._We will be doing stories on it during Tech Live._ I know that's not much, but right now it is all we have to offer.
_
We had assumed we'd be covering it as in the past, and I was told to let you know we planned to._ We DID try very hard to get this coverage for our Mac Enthusiasts._
_
I didn't want you all hunting around looking for the coverage, so am sending emails again to let you know.
_
Cindy Wakeman/WUGNET
for TechTV Audience Feedback
feedback@techtv.com
http://www.techtv.com

GRRRRRR! I hope the stream is in MPEG4...and decent quality...

IndyGopher
Jul 16, 2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Mr. G4

I think it's 9:00 am PS:D
I'm not sure if you're kidding.. but in case you aren't... you're misinformed. The keynote is at 9am EDT, which is indeed 6am PDT.

For people in areas of the world where time is taken seriously, and not toyed with as it is in most of the U.S. (i.e. the daylight savings time fiasco) "Eastern Time" is GMT-4 currently. Never mind that Eastern Time is supposed to be GMT-5... Don't ask why, you'll just think even less of Americans.

szark
Jul 16, 2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by IndyGopher

For people in areas of the world where time is taken seriously, and not toyed with as it is in most of the U.S. (i.e. the daylight savings time fiasco)...

Are you in that section of Indiana that doesn't follow Daylight Savings? If so, Kewl!

I'm in Arizona, and we (just about the entire state) don't follow Daylight Savings either.

Also, I discovered that my Apple store IS opening at 6:00 am for the Keynote, so I'll be there! :D

IndyGopher
Jul 16, 2002, 09:50 PM
Yes. The massive majority of Indiana does not do DST. A few counties in each corner of the state do their own thing... but since almost 25% of the entire state's population lives within 40 miles of Indianapolis, that doesn't account for many people.

mmoore00
Jul 16, 2002, 11:24 PM
Cool, IndyGopher! I'm from Columbus! Indiana is definately a strange but cool state.

I am really looking forward to iTunes 3 (if it comes) and I hope it brings with it AAC MPEG-4 Audio! I want my 10GB (2000 songs) iPod into a 10GB (5000 songs) iPod!

Peace!

Whoops! Don't look at my sig file below, forgot to add by new iMac Flat Panel (Combo).