PDA

View Full Version : Broadband speeds

nesbitt_a
Jun 2, 2004, 11:46 AM
Guys, need some advice. I'm sharing in a flat of 4 guys next year at university, my powerbook, windows laptop, and two windows desktops. We're gonna be running a wireless network - and have been offered broadband at 750k, 1.5mb and 3mb.

Any ideas?

jeremy.king
Jun 2, 2004, 12:28 PM
Get whatever you feel is the best value, since you are sharing the connection, I assume you are sharing the bill :D

Get a router as well, if you don't already have one. Easiest way to share the connection.

What other ideas are you looking for?

nesbitt_a
Jun 2, 2004, 12:45 PM
Get whatever you feel is the best value, since you are sharing the connection, I assume you are sharing the bill :D

Get a router as well, if you don't already have one. Easiest way to share the connection.

What other ideas are you looking for?

We'll probably go for the 1.5mb. Seems to be best value. We have the router etc all sorted.

Cheers.

blue&whiteman
Jun 2, 2004, 01:04 PM
We'll probably go for the 1.5mb. Seems to be best value. We have the router etc all sorted.

Cheers.

yes. get the highest speed you can since 4 will be using it. I have a 5mb line which I am the only user and it seems slow at times. I say slow meaning 100k and under. I normally get 500+ sometimes even over 600 KB per sec.

about the networking.. I know a group of 4 guys that are roomies together in a house. 3 of them have systems but there are 4 systems. the use a router, ethernet hub and lots of long cables. its a hassle to setup but cheaper and more secure vs wireless. they are all pc and all runs fine.

krimson
Jun 2, 2004, 01:09 PM
unless you guys are going to be "sharing" large files alot, 750k should be more than enough...