Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyprospect

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2004
i have a p4 3.0 gig.I want to switch gradually or used both platforms.i was thinking maybe an i book or a pb 12. i will probably surf and try out ilife.I want this first mac to be worth it and last long.i hear the ibook has problems with its board.and suggestions :confused:

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
The iBook G4 does not have a problem with it's logic board (at least not the one you're probably thinking of). It is the iBook G3 that is currently in some wham fangled logic board apocolypse. You should be plenty good with an iBook G4. I've had mine since November and haven't had any issues with it (although I did have my first Kernal Panic on Friday when I tried to do ip over firewire (4 to 6) with a whacky Windows XP laptop; I blame it on the XP laptop... :))

If you want a laptop I'd go with an iBook and if you want a desktop, either an eMac or iMac. Of course if you want to go seriously into it go for the Powerbook/Powermac lines. But for just your basic needs you'll be okay with one of the consumer models. I edit video on my iBook a decent amount and it's well over bearable to do. For something that will take a long time (like recompressing video) just do it overnight or while you're at work.

mwpeters8182

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2003
Boston, MA
I've got a 12" iBook G3, and I love it, no logic board problems as of yet (crossing my fingers). It's been everything I've needed it for, and then some. I'm sure the G4 iBook is a good deal faster, so I think that would be an excellent first choice, especially if you are thinking portable.

If you want a solid desktop, the eMac would be adecent option too. For the price, it's a pretty solid system. I'm looking into getting one myself.

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
I suggest you go to a store and check out the 12" iBook...

that's a nice machine in a very compact package... should be perfect for your needs.

if you switch over to Mac completly, you can still buy a desktop then... in that case you would also have the nice iBook as a portable that you can carry around whenever you like (due to it's small size and weight :)), and have the processing power at home on your desktop...

how nice would that be ;)

niiiiiiice, nicenicenice...

vSpacken

nyprospect

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2004
I noticed that very rarley you hear anything about the 12 ibook .ive seen a 12 g3 ibook but never tried it.

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
my roommate has one (the G3 12") and I think that machine is fantastic :)

I really like the small size and the price is really good too...

I wouldn't pick the 14" iBook because of the size and the same screen resolution, the 12" is perfect and it's more than enough for what you said you'd like to to.

vSpacken

dopefiend

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
nyprospect said:
Will prices drop for the ibook?

Nah, your not going to get an iBook for less than 1,000, that I am for sure on.

If your looking for a cheap laptop though, Apple is probably not who you should be going for though ;)

Get a G5.

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
nyprospect said:
Should i wait for the convention? Will prices drop for the ibook?

I doubt that there will be any price drops or updates to the iBooks. Buy it now, you won't regret it.

Best wishes,
JOD8FY

sockeatingdryer

macrumors regular
May 28, 2004
Athens, GA, USA
Look for the 'e' or the 'i'

If this is your first Mac... eMac/iMac or iBook.
It really doesn't matter about the 'Power' family, unless you are into high-end work with graphics, movies, science, etc. or just want that power in the same sense people want an SUV. You will be wowed anyway.

If you want to really save some dough, get the eMac (I am an eMac eVangelist). If you want that LCD (I didn't, besides that LCD doesn't justify that difference between the 'e' and the 'i' considering the same specs.).
If you want portability, get the iBook.

nyprospect

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2004
Im an alpha male and just having a powerbook justifies that lol.to be honest i always wanted a mac but i didnt have the money .i have a pc now intel p4.i wanted to try out the osx but i dont know if i should spit out 2k.man this sux

paulypants

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Buffalo, NY
12" ibook and 12" powerbooks are both great machines, i have used both (i have a 12" powerbook) and the speed difference isn't very noticeable unless your doing some heavy duty stuff, but even then for the $$ the 12" ibook is a sweet deal--if i were you I'd go with that...

good luck,
-pants

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
for me personally, i wouldn't get anything less than the powerbook... the display quality is better, it's faster, the graphics are better, and it looks cooler.
but i have a hard time settling on anything when i know there is something better out there.

Lee Tom

Amani

macrumors member
May 31, 2004
Sacramento, CA
I also have an ibook g3 and I use it more than I use my powerbook g5. If you're talking about doing serious ilife work though, you might consider a desktop or a g4 laptop. iLife applications need power, and while I've used iLife applications (mainly iPhoto and iMovie) on my ibook, they don't always perform as well as on my g5.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
vollspacken said:
I suggest you go to a store and check out the 12" iBook...

that's a nice machine in a very compact package... should be perfect for your needs.

vSpacken

I read this post but still don't know if we know nyprospect's needs yet. Besides surfing what else are your needs. Size does matter on a Mac. For extreme portability get a 12" iBook or powerbook depending on your needs. If you want to get into portability and eventually run a much larger monitor at home when you get full on to the mac then 12" might be ok, but for everyday use and when you don't need to tote it around every day or don't mind a little extra size/weight then get a 14" or 15" for the extra screen size. I suggest trying it out for 20 minutes and do some real tasks (multiple) on a 12 inch machine before buying...it is pretty small if you ask me. Works great if you are constantly on the run, but small none the less. If you can't try one out at an apple store or comp. usa, then at least find a 12 inch PC or mask your current compter monitor to 12" and see if you can stand it for very long. Just my opinion though. would be helpful if we knew more what you want to do with it beyond the iLIfe and surfing...what about digital pics, videos, etc. What about if you dive fully into Mac...is the chosen machine going to suit your needs then?

Don't forget macs really hold their resale value as well so even if you don't enjoy it as much as you think you would have, you are not out very much cash in resale value...even after two or three years.
Good luck and let us know what else you need to know.

Johnny

nyprospect

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 3, 2004
Hi flyfish I should have been a bit more elaborate.Besides ilife and surfing ,I dont know yet.I heard some "switching" stories about being inspired to create content.Im not going to be crunching numbers seriously but you never know.I want a system that is reliable and can last me a few years.i can do one of 2 things,buy a mac ibook 14" or g5 and use it with my monitor.Sell my pc for parts.
i paid close to 1k for my pc and it wont even sell for 500.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
nyprospect said:
Hi flyfish I should have been a bit more elaborate.Besides ilife and surfing ,I dont know yet.I heard some "switching" stories about being inspired to create content.Im not going to be crunching numbers seriously but you never know.I want a system that is reliable and can last me a few years.i can do one of 2 things,buy a mac ibook 14" or g5 and use it with my monitor.Sell my pc for parts.
i paid close to 1k for my pc and it wont even sell for 500.

I would think the ibook. The only reason right now to get a G5 would be major number crunching, major video or picture manipulation, gaming (very limited on the Mac of course)

I guess you could sell your monitor for a little bit more cash, pay for most of the iBook and then decide in a year or two if a much more powerful machine is needed. You could keep the monitor to use on the ibook if you so desire, but I don't think (???) the ibook supports anything besides monitor mirroring...the p-book support two separate desktops which is really cool if you have not seen it. One menu bar, two screen to put windows on and the mouse just moves between the two screens. Really nice to give you much more real estate to work on.

If in fact you will be "inspired" in a year or two the macs by then will be so much better anyway you will probalby want to be inspired to buy one then so go with what works best for now and has some room to grow. I got a DVD burner this time and love it. DIdn't think I would use it much but now I am using it for all sorts of stuff. The iBook has a build to order option for only $180 more for DVD burner. also, get the larger hard drive which is pennies on the dollar and you will probably need it soon enough.

Good luck.

Johnny

javabear90

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Houston, TX
If i were you I would get an iBook however, I would wait until July. the month of June seems to hold lots of new product anouncments. :cool:

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
I had planned on being a gradual switcher as well...
and initially thought (albeit breifly) about the 12" Powerbook...

but then realised if I had something new, which one me over, and hopefully was going to be far superior to use - then I'd be more likely to use the Powerbook over the PC / old Windows laptop - as they were what I was trying to run away from...

Then couldn't decide between the 15" and 17" Powerbook!

Only had my first ever Powerbook four days - and am very glad I went for the 17"!

Have been portable with it already - and is great... but for the most part it will sit on either desk (at work or home) or on table / couch... and I'm very glad of the extra screen real estate!!!!
Especially with the benefits of Mac OS X!!!!
WOW I'm in love - and an instant Mac snob!
Had to go back to the PeeCee yesterday and hated it!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.