PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Fall 2009 Speculation

sherwinzadeh
Jul 5, 2009, 12:48 PM
After the 13" MacBook got promoted to the Pro line, and the MacBook line itself looking pretty week with just one model, I think we're going to see a whole new line of MacBooks this fall. I thought it would be fun to throw around some speculation on what Apple might do.

I think Apple will reposition MacBook as the answer to the "Netbook" phenomenom. It will NOT be a Netbook but it will be priced low enough ($799) so people would have at least some choice in the Apple world.

Features:
* 12" Screen
* NO Optical drive. External option.
* Built-in battery
* Same Core 2 Duo and nVidea graphics
* SD Card Slot. (I think they'll ship software on SD)
* NO Firewire
* Yes on all other specs like Wifi, Bluetooth, iSight
* White plastic, but redesigned

Would love to hear your thoughts on how Apple will "redefine" the Macbook line like it just did the Macbook Pro line.

Best,

Sherwin Zadeh
Artamata, Inc.
Check out my iPhone App: Artist's Touch (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=298606069&mt=8)

BlizzardBomb
Jul 5, 2009, 12:54 PM
Seriously doubt fall will produce any new notebook models.

skye12
Jul 5, 2009, 01:05 PM
I think you may be right. Awful lot of rumors about a netbook coming out.
And I still think some sort of cheaper iphone will emerge too.

techfreak85
Jul 5, 2009, 01:07 PM
ya they just got updated, idk if theres going to be any upgrading.
maybe like larger hdd/slightly fater processer if anything.

crackbookpro
Jul 5, 2009, 01:12 PM
Seriously doubt fall will produce any new notebook models.

He has a good point about this fall, but I do think your speculation of an $800 model might come true...

I'm thinking near the end of 09 or 1st quarter of 2010.

CrackBookPro:cool:

techfreak85
Jul 5, 2009, 01:17 PM
the white mac book will either the only one upgraded, or it will be discontinued. with the aluminum MBP line just becoming the MacBook Line.

Jack Flash
Jul 5, 2009, 01:25 PM
the white mac book will either the only one upgraded, or it will be discontinued. with the aluminum MBP line just becoming the MacBook Line.

You think that Apple, having just rebranded the 13" MacBook to MacBook Pro, is going to move it back to being a MacBook?

techfreak85
Jul 5, 2009, 01:27 PM
You think that Apple, having just rebranded the 13" MacBook to MacBook Pro, is going to move it back to being a MacBook?

not immediately, but i think thats a long term thing. like next year.

iMacmatician
Jul 5, 2009, 01:39 PM
After the 13" MacBook got promoted to the Pro line, and the MacBook line itself looking pretty week with just one model, I think we're going to see a whole new line of MacBooks this fall. I thought it would be fun to throw around some speculation on what Apple might do.

I think Apple will reposition MacBook as the answer to the "Netbook" phenomenom. It will NOT be a Netbook but it will be priced low enough ($799) so people would have at least some choice in the Apple world.

Features:
* 12" Screen
* Built-in battery
* NO Firewire

Would love to hear your thoughts on how Apple will "redefine" the Macbook line like it just did the Macbook Pro line.If they will go this route…I think these specs are not far from what would happen. They might go with CULV if they want lower power, and I'm sure the case will be thinner.

Vulcan
Jul 5, 2009, 02:04 PM
An update this November seems very likely. Save 2008, the MacBook has always been updated in May and November. This year seems like it will be a regular given the last update to the MacBook was in May. What will we see? Well...

The white MacBook style is going to get offed. Styles on Apple computers normally only last for 3 years, the white MacBook style is going into four (three years and three months to be exact). It's time for it to get going.

Anyway, so when Apple throws out the MB, what's going to happen? Many people say that will simply be the end of the MacBook Pro line. Everything else will be called a MacBook, which seems to make sense. However, that leaves one problem: what to do with the MacBook Air? Drop that too because it doesn't fit into a single line? The everything in one group idea calls for dropping way too much and may actually hurt Apple's sales.

I see the MacBook being replaced by a tablet. Something about 80% the size of a 13" MB screen (just because I'm looking at one right now) that runs OS X in a touch like interface. Sell it for $700-$800 and it will be a hit. So that would change the line to tablets, ultra-portables, and notebooks from consumer/pro. Not a bad trade off.

Edensuko
Jul 5, 2009, 02:43 PM
I do think a new whitebook is on its way. Not a super spec bump obviously, but a cosmetic one, thats still plastic but maybe unibody style. The upper case one part just like the aluminum one, and the bottom cover another. This could reduce the palm rest cracking by a lot margin.

No built in battery for this one, as it would cannibalize the "pro" feature of long lasting battery. Maybe an SD slot.

Keep the specs the same, no worries there. And count me in :D

thegoldenmackid
Jul 5, 2009, 02:47 PM
I do think a new whitebook is on its way. Not a super spec bump obviously, but a cosmetic one, thats still plastic but maybe unibody style. The upper case one part just like the aluminum one, and the bottom cover another. This could reduce the palm rest cracking by a lot margin.

No built in battery for this one, as it would cannibalize the "pro" feature of long lasting battery. Maybe an SD slot.

Keep the specs the same, no worries there. And count me in :D

Apple seems to be just updating the White MacBook whenever they wish and not necessarily announcing these updates.

Richard1028
Jul 5, 2009, 02:51 PM
Nothing will happen other than maybe a cheap, "me too" netbook. I think their prices have hit rock bottom on the macbook/pro line and won't get any lower.

With Windows 7 due out Apple will continue to focus on the OS long after snow leopard.

Shake 'n' Bake
Jul 5, 2009, 03:18 PM

Features:
* 12" Screen
* Built-in battery
* NO Firewire

Would love to hear your thoughts on how Apple will "redefine" the Macbook line like it just did the Macbook Pro line.

Best,

Sherwin Zadeh
Artamata, Inc.
Check out my iPhone App: Artist's Touch (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=298606069&mt=8)

1. Sure, and throw in a 14'' as well. Woah, deja vu.

2. No likely. Many people still use those.

3. Likely to increase the price and anger many, but will extend battery life.

4. Sounds good; Apple always likes to stay a year behind.

5. Pretty likely, but software will not be on an SD card as long as the SD slot uses a USB interface, it will be one of the slowest things you've ever experienced.

6. Maybe for rev. a, but it will come back as long as we've got target disk mode. Or they'll add a bunch of USB ports and modify TDM.

7. Nope. It'll have 802.11y (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11y-2008), USB 3.0, whatever the next BT is, 5 MP iSight.

8. How can you redesign it?

MacMini2009
Jul 5, 2009, 03:38 PM
Well I think there has to be a low-end Laptop like the Mac Mini is the low-end desktop. New Macbooks maybe around $600-$800, maybe redesign, tablet, etc.

iDAG
Jul 5, 2009, 04:21 PM
The MacBook should be priced at $599, $799, & $999 with the right features of course. Start with 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo with 2 (maybe 1) GB DDR3 with integrated graphic of some kind and that starts the beginning of the end for Microsoft. :cool:

thegoldenmackid
Jul 5, 2009, 04:22 PM
Can someone draw me a case redesign. Seriously, what is that going to look like.

MacMini2009
Jul 5, 2009, 04:24 PM
Can someone draw me a case redesign. Seriously, what is that going to look like.

Maybe Apple should just make Macbooks yellow so there is no more discoloring ;)

Tallest Skil
Jul 5, 2009, 04:32 PM
Features:
* 12" Screen
* Built-in battery
* NO Firewire

1. Nope.
2. MacBook Air.
3. Already have that.
4. Nope, Arrandale.
5. NO THEY WILL NOT SHIP STUFF ON SD.
6. Nope.
7. Yes.
8. Nope.

Shake 'n' Bake
Jul 5, 2009, 04:34 PM
1. Nope.
2. MacBook Air.
3. Already have that.
4. Nope, Arrandale.
5. NO THEY WILL NOT SHIP STUFF ON SD.
6. Nope.
7. Yes.
8. Nope.

I agree with all your points, but the MB doesn't have a built-in battery. Maybe you meant the MBP?

mariov
Jul 5, 2009, 04:49 PM
The MacBook should be priced at $599, $799, & $999 with the right features of course. Start with 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo with 2 (maybe 1) GB DDR3 with integrated graphic of some kind and that starts the beginning of the end for Microsoft. :cool:

Now THAT would be nice. :)

$599 will be the killer price.

But i don´t think that´s gonna happen.

jdm111
Jul 5, 2009, 06:19 PM
The white MacBook style is going to get offed. Styles on Apple computers normally only last for 3 years, the white MacBook style is going into four (three years and three months to be exact). It's time for it to get going.

Incorrect, The white MacBook got its design from the iBook G4 which got its design from the 2nd gen iBook G3 which was introduced in 2001. So that's 8 years.

Sun Baked
Jul 5, 2009, 06:23 PM
Probably join the education iMac at the 899 price point.

iMacmatician
Jul 5, 2009, 06:24 PM
4. Nope, Arrandale.Depends on how far down Arrandale goes and what price level of CPU Apple decides to use.

iDAG
Jul 5, 2009, 06:27 PM
Now THAT would be nice. :)

$599 will be the killer price.

But i don´t think that´s gonna happen.

$599 would be great and that's what I hope they do. In my opinion Apple needs to at least get it down to $699 or $799.

aleksandra.
Jul 5, 2009, 06:34 PM
Speed bump? Possible.

Price drop? Not impossible.

Case redesign? No way.

Edensuko
Jul 5, 2009, 07:29 PM

Picture the unibody enclosure. Now on white and plastic instead of metal.There you have what i want.

This way you avoid the palmrest cracking. It can be done with a single "press" instead of milling of course to cut prices.

neteng101
Jul 5, 2009, 08:14 PM
A better panel would be a start - that is the signal worse element in the whitebook currently, and under $500 PC laptops have better screens. Not expecting glass and all, just something better than washed out and incredibly bad viewing angle. The display is a disgrace, I shake my head each time I see a whitebook screen at the Apple store.

Edensuko
Jul 5, 2009, 11:52 PM
A better panel would be a start - that is the signal worse element in the whitebook currently, and under $500 PC laptops have better screens. Not expecting glass and all, just something better than washed out and incredibly bad viewing angle. The display is a disgrace, I shake my head each time I see a whitebook screen at the Apple store.

I went to the Apple store about a month ago and found the macbook´s display quite bearable. Specially compared to the then crappy and even glossier alu macbook display. Havent compared the new MBP screens but i bet the results wont be different, mainly because the gloss in the alu macs is too glossy.

Does anyone knows if i can buy a third party screen and put it in a white macbook? a better one of course.

sherwinzadeh
Jul 6, 2009, 12:43 AM
I see the MacBook being replaced by a tablet.

As much as I and many people on this forum would love a tablet, I don't think Apple will create one to replace the MacBook line. We're in the biggest recession since the Great Depression and Netbooks are gaining a lot of popularity and mindshare. Apple will not make a Netbook but they have to have lower priced regular laptops. I see $799 but could go lower.

I'm not saying they WON'T make a tablet... just not to replace the MacBook.

Actually, I don't think they will release a tablet anytime soon. It's a product trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. If you're on the road, you have your iPhone with you at all times. The only time that's not good enough is if you need:
a) to type long emails or documents
b) a larger screen
c) faster horsepower and desktop apps

For all of these situations, a laptop is an ideal tool.

Furthermore, creating a tablet means that Apple has to support yet another version of OS X. OS X Mac, OS X iPhone, and OS X tablet. I think they won't do it at this point. It's too much fragmentation at this point... (we're getting off topic so I'll stop here)

Sherwin Zadeh
Artamata, Inc.
Check out my iPhone app: Artist's Touch (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=298606069&mt=8)

sherwinzadeh
Jul 6, 2009, 12:48 AM

Cheaper than $99? I think any cheaper and it's it'll be a "free phone"

thegoldenmackid
Jul 6, 2009, 12:50 AM
Picture the unibody enclosure. Now on white and plastic instead of metal.There you have what i want.

This way you avoid the palmrest cracking. It can be done with a single "press" instead of milling of course to cut prices.

Umm..yeah, not so much...

nineohtoo
Jul 6, 2009, 04:26 AM
I agree with the OP. With one MacBook and a handful of Pros, I see apple adding something else to the line with a more attractive price point, and maybe even better portability. Apple has mentioned they like the idea of a netbook(which the air is not), but wouldn't do one unless they can do it right/better than the current offerings. I would rule out a tablet because there is hardly a market for one. My money is also on smaller MacBook without an optical drive due out within the next year(I want to say fall, but I wouldn't count on it).

One thing is for sure, they're not going to get rid of the MacBook as it's their highest selling model.

Schraiber
Jul 6, 2009, 12:15 PM
I don't see a major upgrade for any notebook lines until Arrandale. We might see minor speed increases across lines in fall, but it would be foolish to do a major overhaul with new microarchitecture so close.

I definitely see a price drop though. Apple needs to be more competitive in the sub-1000 dollar notebook market. Everyone I know who has bought a laptop recently has spent about 600 bucks on a Windows machine. I also really hope that they make 4GB standard at the 999 price point---it's REALLY not that expensive!!

It'd also be nice to see discrete graphics options for the macbook. Who knows.

Richard1028
Jul 6, 2009, 04:23 PM
Apple needs to be more competitive in the sub-1000 dollar notebook market. Everyone I know who has bought a laptop recently has spent about 600 bucks on a Windows machine.Well, for this to happen the mac community needs quit returning their notebooks 5-6 times and demanding new ones because the logo has a blemish or the keys get shiny. :D

Really, with all the after-purchase crap Apple has to deal with I'm surprised the mac line costs what it does. It's the customer service after the sale that mac folks are buying. (But those $600 PC people don't think about this).

So... I would really not like to see prices get slashed again. This would mean something else would have to get cut.

Schraiber
Jul 6, 2009, 06:05 PM
Well, for this to happen the mac community needs quit returning their notebooks 5-6 times and demanding new ones because the logo has a blemish or the keys get shiny. :D

Really, with all the after-purchase crap Apple has to deal with I'm surprised the mac line costs what it does. It's the customer service after the sale that mac folks are buying. (But those $600 PC people don't think about this).

So... I would really not like to see prices get slashed again. This would mean something else would have to get cut.

I thought that was why they overcharged for an extended warranty that doesn't even cover accidentals =p?

Richard1028
Jul 6, 2009, 08:32 PM
I thought that was why they overcharged for an extended warranty that doesn't even cover accidentals =p?Yeah, for those idiots that purchase the $250 extortion fee directly from Apple I guess.

But I don't know too many of those idiots. :)

sherwinzadeh
Jul 6, 2009, 09:15 PM
I don't see a major upgrade for any notebook lines until Arrandale.

Maybe for the Pro, but I picked Fall 09 because their Macbook lineup is so lacking currently. The Pro lineup is probably the best they've ever had. And let's not forget we're in a recession. Most people have no clue what Arrandale is. They just want a sub $1000 notebook and Windows netbooks are sub $500. There's a huge gap here.

Richard1028
Jul 6, 2009, 09:34 PM
Maybe for the Pro, but I picked Fall 09 because their Macbook lineup is so lacking currently.You're putting too much stock into the "Pro" name.

To the average consumer, Apple basically has 5 laptops to offer, one to fit everybody. They don't need any more.

sherwinzadeh
Jul 7, 2009, 01:08 AM
You're putting too much stock into the "Pro" name.

I don't mean just the name... I mean the line and price points. The MacBook is just $200 cheaper than the 13" Pro. It doesn't really make sense to get it. It's obviously just something to hold us over until they release the new MacBook line at much lower prices.

Shake 'n' Bake
Jul 7, 2009, 01:13 AM
I don't mean just the name... I mean the line and price points. The MacBook is just $200 cheaper than the 13" Pro. It doesn't really make sense to get it. It's obviously just something to hold us over until they release the new MacBook line at much lower prices.

Good reasoning. Maybe the MacBook will be like the iMac G3 in terms of price: Pretty reasonable, then the bottom drops out of the price, then it is back up to pretty reasonable by the iMac G4 (IMO, the iMac G4 is the best looking computer ever made).

sherwinzadeh
Jul 7, 2009, 11:54 AM
(IMO, the iMac G4 is the best looking computer ever made).

I agree. I never had one but I recommended it to everyone I knew.

sherwinzadeh
Jul 9, 2009, 01:25 AM
Apple seems to be just updating the White MacBook whenever they wish and not necessarily announcing these updates.

Well, I do think that recently they have be responding to the Microsoft Laptop Hunters Ads -- and the economy in general. I think the latest updates in the Pro line were a bit early and unexpected given that new Pros were released just this last Winter.

Btw, did you guys see the new Laptop Hunters ad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO7b5mACOA4)? They went for look for the best computer for "Under $1500" to "Under $700"... I think it's more support that Apple will be responding with lower priced laptops, aka a new line of Macbooks.

MacMini2009
Jul 9, 2009, 01:49 AM
Well, I do think that recently they have be responding to the Microsoft Laptop Hunters Ads -- and the economy in general. I think the latest updates in the Pro line were a bit early and unexpected given that new Pros were released just this last Winter.

Btw, did you guys see the new Laptop Hunters ad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO7b5mACOA4)? They went for look for the best computer for "Under $1500" to "Under $700"... I think it's more support that Apple will be responding with lower priced laptops, aka a new line of Macbooks.

That laptop hunter ad where that designer or something was looking at a Macbook Pro 15in and didn't want to get it because it only had 2GB of RAM, now it has 4GB RAM standard, just another reason why to get a Mac :D

t0ddl3s
Jul 9, 2009, 02:44 AM
apple will probably add two more macbooks to the current line, redesigned, with integrated graphics, and then upgrade all the pros (including the 13") to have discrete graphics.

t0ddl3s
Jul 9, 2009, 02:47 AM
on the laptop hunter ad at the end it says "Microsoft - Life without walls", then why the hell do we need Windows?!?!

nineohtoo
Jul 9, 2009, 05:19 AM
^ I like windows, but that was good. I'm gonna use that next time my friends pick on me for switching back to OS X.

sherwinzadeh
Jul 10, 2009, 05:09 PM
Features:
* 12" Screen
* Built-in battery
* NO Firewire

Seth Weintraub of ComputerWorld (http://blogs.computerworld.com/is_apple_trading_sd_cards_for_dvds_in_macbooks) seems to be agreeing with my speculation that future MacBooks will drop the optical drive and ship software on SD Cards!

matthewscott661
Jul 11, 2009, 01:20 AM
I hope those who say the MacBook line will get dropped completely are wrong. I like the distinction between the Professional and Consumer models.

Things I would like to see.

1) Tweak the case. Plastic is fine and it keeps cost down, but go back to the iBook style where the top and bottom case met on the side, not the top. This would help solve the cracking issues from the screen hitting it.
2) More than one size. That's what great about the MBPs. There was always a screen size option, and now there are three options. A 13", 15", and maybe in the future a smaller one, too.
3) Bring back the BlackBooks. They were just really sexy IMO.
4) Lower price. I'm sick of hearing people say that the only reason they don't own a mac is the price. We've got a great thing here, and we should make it available to as many people as possible.

Good?

iMacmatician
Jul 11, 2009, 08:26 AM
Seth Weintraub of ComputerWorld (http://blogs.computerworld.com/is_apple_trading_sd_cards_for_dvds_in_macbooks) seems to be agreeing with my speculation that future MacBooks will drop the optical drive and ship software on SD Cards!Interesting bit right here.

The SD card has become part of Apple's MacBook strategy. It should be arriving on the MacBook Air and the regular MacBook at the next updates...and it might even take the place of the DVD drive on the next MacBook.After reading that report I too have to agree. The removal of the (large) optical drive means there is a lot of room for other components. Apple could make the notebooks thinner (if nothing else stops them from doing so), or go the power route and add a faster processor/GPU or a 2nd HDD. The battery could be made larger too.

Interesting how it says the MacBook may drop the optical drive… I wonder what will happen to the MacBook Air then… merged (as lower-end to MacBook Pros)? dropped? made even thinner?

opinioncircle
Jul 11, 2009, 08:27 AM
Cheaper than $99? I think any cheaper and it's it'll be a "free phone"

Well maybe not the $99 price. But definitely the monthly plans...

5280m
Jul 11, 2009, 09:07 AM
Dropping the optical drive from a consumer machine would be retail suicide. It wont happen.

sherwinzadeh
Jul 12, 2009, 01:36 AM
Dropping the optical drive from a consumer machine would be retail suicide. It wont happen.

I disagree. Netbooks don't have optical drives and are growing in popularity. Also Apple likes to push the adoption of new standards and they like to push the adoption of dropping standards. They were first to drop the 3.5" drive.

sherwinzadeh
Jul 12, 2009, 01:42 AM
Interesting how it says the MacBook may drop the optical drive… I wonder what will happen to the MacBook Air then… merged (as lower-end to MacBook Pros)? dropped? made even thinner?

I always thought the Air is like a "concept" car. They built a dream system and a lot of it's components are slowly slowly going into more mainstream laptop lines. And it's been happening:
1) Precision Aluminum Uni-body.
2) Built in, non-removable battery.
3) SSD Option

Next up...
4) Remove optical drive.

SkyBell
Jul 12, 2009, 01:52 AM
I don't see why people can't see the MacBook being redesigned with plastic as the main material still. Most laptops during the '90's were plastic, and they got redesigned pretty often. There's no reason why Apple couldn't come up with a new plastic design for the MacBook.

SkyBell
Jul 12, 2009, 01:55 AM
I always thought the Air is like a "concept" car. They built a dream system and a lot of it's components are slowly slowly going into more mainstream laptop lines. And it's been happening:
3) SSD Option

Next up...
4) Remove optical drive.

I sold my iBook G4 for a netbook - and let me say, the optical drive is the thing I miss most about it. (The other being decent wireless reception.) Optical media is still the main data transfer method of choice. There are way too many people who use their optical drive enough to the point that an external would be a pain for them to use and carry around.

iMacmatician
Jul 12, 2009, 07:06 AM
3) SSD OptionDon't forget the multi-touch trackpad.

I sold my iBook G4 for a netbook - and let me say, the optical drive is the thing I miss most about it. (The other being decent wireless reception.) Optical media is still the main data transfer method of choice. There are way too many people who use their optical drive enough to the point that an external would be a pain for them to use and carry around.My iBook's optical drive broke last year and since then I rarely miss it. Even after getting my MacBook Pro, I only use the optical drive for watching DVDs (and burning one CD or so). On the other hand, removing the optical drive could mean a second HDD and a bigger battery, two things I would really like on a notebook.

southerndoc
Jul 12, 2009, 08:42 AM
I would rather Apple remove the optical drive and make the battery bigger. Without the optical drive, we might see battery life approach 12 hours.

Hard drives are usually big enough that you can copy a DVD now. So if you could use an external optical drive to copy the DVD to your hard drive if you wanted to watch a movie on a plane.

t0ddl3s
Jul 13, 2009, 06:21 PM
If Apple removed optical drives from the MacBook, that would in turn make an optical drive a 'pro' feature. Apple would be laughed at.

matthewscott661
Jul 13, 2009, 10:41 PM
If Apple removed optical drives from the MacBook, that would in turn make an optical drive a 'pro' feature. Apple would be laughed at.

I think maybe they could move towards an optical drive as an option. Maybe people could choose between an optical drive or a second HDD/SSD.

sherwinzadeh
Jul 13, 2009, 11:33 PM

I don't think so... again look at Netbooks which don't have optical drives...they're gaining in popularity ...and for many people like students it's becoming their primary computing device.

According to Engadget, Apple is redefining what the term "Pro" means in their notebooks. For example, the 13" Pro doesn't have dedicated graphics and there's now even an entry point 15" Pro model without dedicated graphics. Also Engadget mentioned in one of the recent Podcasts that an Apple spokesperson told them that they consider the 13" Pro to still be an entry point product...and it definitely is priced as one. So "Pro" doesn't really mean "For Advanced Professional People" but more like "Best of the Bread".

What kind of message does the MacBook line currently make?... "$200 cheaper for plastic"....? I don't think that tells a story the way Apple likes their products to. And while I don't think Apple will create a Netbook with the Atom processor specs and all, I do think they will retarget MacBook as an inexpensive entry level notebook line primarily targeted for K-12 students. For the most part, these students need to run iLife, and surf the web. In this economy it's difficult for a parent to justify $1000+ for a laptop for their K-12 kids. Especially when Windows machines, as crappy as they are, can be as low as $299.

I am changing my timing from Fall 2009 to Winter 2010, though. I agree with someone that commented that it's too close to their last notebook announcement. They'll probably do an iPod announcement in the Fall and the new MacBook line after the New Year.

Edensuko
Jul 14, 2009, 12:32 AM
Gimme a Tablet, with the same specs as the whitebook, the same ports and all, just get rid of the keyboard and get a wacom screen on it. ill buy it for 800, hell even 900 if they do it right.

I could not care less for optical drives since i have a desktop i can borrow it from.

matthewscott661
Jul 14, 2009, 09:33 PM
but at least I can dream.

Needing to brush up on photoshop before I go back to school in the fall, so I threw this together.

Shake 'n' Bake
Jul 14, 2009, 09:38 PM

Needing to brush up on photoshop before I go back to school in the fall, so I threw this together.

Nice scaling job.

There won't be a 15''. It'll dig into MBP sales so much I can't even describe it.

If there are more than one size it'll be 12'' and 14'' (woah, deja vu) or 12'', 13'', and 14''.

akutad
Jul 14, 2009, 09:41 PM
I think you may be right. Awful lot of rumors about a netbook coming out.

I doubt a cheaper iPhone will come out. iPhone 3G is already cheap at $99.

Vulcan
Jul 15, 2009, 09:07 AM
Nice scaling job.

There won't be a 15''. It'll dig into MBP sales so much I can't even describe it.

If there are more than one size it'll be 12'' and 14'' (woah, deja vu) or 12'', 13'', and 14''.

I disagree. If a 15" MB would kill 15" MBP sales, then why doesn't the 13" MB kill the 13" MBP sales?

iMacmatician
Jul 15, 2009, 12:02 PM
Nice scaling job.

If there are more than one size it'll be 12'' and 14'' (woah, deja vu) or 12'', 13'', and 14''.A 15" would "dig into MBP sales so much" but a 14" wouldn't?

Tallest Skil
Jul 15, 2009, 12:04 PM
I disagree. If a 15" MB would kill 15" MBP sales, then why doesn't the 13" MB kill the 13" MBP sales?

It DOES. Because it's CHEAPER.

Shake 'n' Bake
Jul 15, 2009, 12:07 PM

The specs are lower.

A 15" would "dig into MBP sales so much" but a 14" wouldn't?

The 14'' would be small enough that it couldn't get the components of the MBP and it would be plastic so it wouldn't be as good a heat conductor.

matthewscott661
Jul 15, 2009, 01:30 PM
I don't understand why it matters that it would cut into sales of another model. The point should be to give people more of a choice about what kind of computer they want to use.

If Apple is really worried about people always buying the most expensive one, then why don't they just have one laptop and one desktop? Because that's silly.

Shake 'n' Bake
Jul 15, 2009, 04:22 PM
I don't understand why it matters that it would cut into sales of another model. The point should be to give people more of a choice about what kind of computer they want to use.

If Apple is really worried about people always buying the most expensive one, then why don't they just have one laptop and one desktop? Because that's silly.

That's why you won't be in charge of a company anytime soon.

Apple needs to go back to the four boxes strategy. Or better yet, do six boxes: A cheap laptop and desktop, a mid-range desktop and laptop (desktop is iMac and mini tower), and a high-end laptop and desktop. The structure fell apart with the G4 Cube.

vertigo78
Jul 16, 2009, 12:01 AM
the 15" mb just doesn't make any sense. it cuts into the sales of not only the current 15" mbp but also the 13" mbp, which i think is there best selling laptop right now, since it would be in the exact same price range. the specs would have to differ a lot for someone to pick the 13" mbp over a 15" mb. and they can't go much lower with the base 13" mbp being 2.26ghz with 2gb of ram and 160 of hd space. if you go any lower than those specs apple would need to price it at an even lower price which would cut into their mbp sales even more. apple is all about profit margins. they'll never join what they call the race to the bottom.

i can see them making a netbook/tablet to take over the macbook name. priced some where in the $700-900 range. this wouldn't cut into the mbp sales since it wouldn't have a physical keyboard or lack much power to do anything but surfing the internet, light email and word processing, and media consumption.

sherwinzadeh
Jul 16, 2009, 01:10 AM

Nice job on the Photoshop but I also don't think they'll do a 15". It's just not Apple's style to have so much overlap between product lines and they like to keep things "minimal".

I think the main focus of the next gen MacBook will be significantly lower prices and an "answer" to NetBooks...not necessarily a NetBook but something that will attract you away from NetBooks. That's gotta be a 12" device and ONLY a 12" device. Any larger and Apple will want you to go Pro.

Infact.... they may even call it MacBook Mini. They may drop the whole MacBook on it's own. There will the the MacBook Mini, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air.

GoHack
Jul 25, 2009, 11:56 PM
This is just a guess on my part, but w/Snow Leopard being released in the Fall, Apple is going to have their hands full w/it's release, due to guaranteed problems that some people will encounter w/it's installation on systems already out there.

Apple would be smart to wait until at least the beginning of next year, when everything calms down w/the Snow Leopard OS upgrade before going to any all new system(s).

sherwinzadeh
Jul 26, 2009, 11:39 PM
This is just a guess on my part, but w/Snow Leopard being released in the Fall, Apple is going to have their hands full w/it's release, due to guaranteed problems that some people will encounter w/it's installation on systems already out there.

Apple would be smart to wait until at least the beginning of next year, when everything calms down w/the Snow Leopard OS upgrade before going to any all new system(s).

Or you could argue with your same logic that with Snow Leopard coming this fall Apple would like to push people away from older machines and may introduce new lower cost MacBooks. Keep in mind also that Snow Leopard only runs on Intel Macs.

applebook
Jul 26, 2009, 11:52 PM
I don't think so... again look at Netbooks which don't have optical drives...they're gaining in popularity ...and for many people like students it's becoming their primary computing device.

Do you have any proof to back up your statement?

BTW, Apple has officially stated that the plastic 13" MacBook design will be around for a very long time. End of discussion. If Apple introduces another size to the "MacBook" name, it will have the same body (just different size) design as the current whiteBook.

applebook
Jul 26, 2009, 11:53 PM
Or you could argue with your same logic that with Snow Leopard coming this fall Apple would like to push people away from older machines and may introduce new lower cost MacBooks. Keep in mind also that Snow Leopard only runs on Intel Macs.

Jobs has already said that Apple is not in the low-end market. Do not expect a $700 notebook unless it's a NETbook, in which case, Apple is still targeting the higher-end netbook segment.

sherwinzadeh
Oct 20, 2009, 12:31 AM
New MacBooks coming tomorrow? http://www.macrumors.com/2009/10/19/rumors-of-new-apple-hardware-tomorrow-swirling/
Let's see how accurate our speculation was!!!

Features:
* 12" Screen
* Built-in battery
* NO Firewire

Best,

Sherwin Zadeh
Artamata, Inc.