PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3GS Oleophobic Screen Coating Wearing Off?

MacRumors
Jul 6, 2009, 01:43 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/07/06/iphone-3gs-oleophobic-screen-coating-wearing-off/)

iFun.de reports (http://www.iphone-ticker.de/2009/07/03/iphone-3gs-probleme-mit-oleophobischer-beschichtung/) [Google translation (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.iphone-ticker.de%2F2009%2F07%2F03%2Fiphone-3gs-probleme-mit-oleophobischer-beschichtung)] on an Apfeltalk forum thread (http://www.apfeltalk.de/forum/3gs-anti-fett-t239720.html) in which an iPhone 3GS user shows an apparent wearing off of the device's oleophobic screen coating. In addition to the initial post containing an image of the issue, a second post (http://www.apfeltalk.de/forum/p2399030.html) later in the thread compares the screen condition before and after cleaning.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/07/06/144110-oleophobic_wear_500.jpg

The area of wear on the user's iPhone 3GS apparently corresponds to his heavy use of Flick Fishing (http://www.freeverse.com/games/game/?id=4567), which utilizes a circular motion on the lower portion of the screen to reel in fishing line.

The oleophobic screen coating (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/10/more-wwdc-tidbits-iphone-3g-s-oleophobic-screen-find-my-iphone-live/) on the new iPhone 3GS is designed to be fingerprint-resistant, simplifying the cleaning process in comparison to older iPhone models and allowing the screen to remain clearer during use.

Article Link: iPhone 3GS Oleophobic Screen Coating Wearing Off? (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/07/06/iphone-3gs-oleophobic-screen-coating-wearing-off/)

runeasgar
Jul 6, 2009, 01:49 PM
that could be bad. could result in lots and lots of replacement costs for apple.

macjram
Jul 6, 2009, 01:53 PM
Looks like a Click Wheel

Next-Gen technology haha

ashimashi
Jul 6, 2009, 01:54 PM
my phone already has so many scratches on it! I do like the coating but I don't like how it scratches so easily!!! :(

iHateMacs
Jul 6, 2009, 01:54 PM
It's going to have a finite life. If some saddo wants to twirl his finger 24/7 then he's to blame. I'm sure in normal use the coating would easily stand up to reasonable use for the life of the phone.

DerfBWH
Jul 6, 2009, 01:57 PM
It's going to have a finite life. If some saddo wants to twirl his finger 24/7 then he's to blame. I'm sure in normal use the coating would easily stand up to reasonable use for the life of the phone.
That's crazy, that's like saying it's not the fault of the manufacturer when a mouse breaks if he's using the mouse to do some non-supported application.

crees!
Jul 6, 2009, 02:00 PM
Seems like this guy needs to pick up a different hobby :D

QCassidy352
Jul 6, 2009, 02:01 PM

no way he's used the iphone more in 2 weeks than it was meant to be used in 2 years. this is a problem.

toxictrix
Jul 6, 2009, 02:03 PM
Damn he must play that game a lot. I enjoy the peace of mind with a screen protector though.

Sayer
Jul 6, 2009, 02:04 PM
How dare Apple not produce an indestructible surface that can withstand some German guy's OCD on a fishing game.

iOrlando
Jul 6, 2009, 02:06 PM
so some random fool in some random forum post a picture of i dont know what and it deserves a mention on macrumors... come on...standards relaxed today or something?

gkarris
Jul 6, 2009, 02:10 PM
the screen's not the only thing "phobic"... :eek:

LOL...

Eidorian
Jul 6, 2009, 02:11 PM
so some random fool in some random forum post a picture of i dont know what and it deserves a mention on macrumors... come on...standards relaxed today or something?You should see some of the other slow news days.

I've had a few games kill my Gamecube controllers with repetitive actions.

Rychiar
Jul 6, 2009, 02:14 PM
who in ther right mind buys an iPhone and doesn't put a screen cover on it immediately anyway. i never even touched my screen to try out the coating b4 i put a cover on. My original iphone had the same screen cover on for 2 years

healeydave
Jul 6, 2009, 02:21 PM
I wish they wouldn't mess with a design that wasn't flawed in the first place.

I had 3 iPhones since the very first version, passed one onto the missus and upgraded to the 3g.

I have never put so much as a screen protector on any of them, its not needed.

People get paranoid that they are going to scratch the phone or something with no evidence.

I saw a video when the first iPhone came out, around the time of the first "will it blend" video, drop testing the phone etc. The guy pulled out a set of keys and scrapped across the glass on the first gen phone and there was not so much as a mark!

Sure enough, my 3g which is now over a year old still looks like new, I knew I was never going to simulate intentional screen scraping with keys like that guy did even with the phone in constant pocket use!

Why people tarnish their phones with those horrible screen protectors is beyond me, they always peel a bit or get contamination in and make the phone look worse. As for that Oleophobic coating, I wish Apple would give the option not to have it because I'm not that interested in that when I come to the end of my 3g contract in a few months and plan to get the 3gs.
I may consider waiting for the next iPhone and skip the 3gs in the hope that Apple drops the coating too.

BobVB
Jul 6, 2009, 02:21 PM
I am incredulous, oleophobic glass coatings (http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP1555249.html) are pretty thin residuals. My 3GS seems just as scratch resistant as the plain glass was and I've no signs of wear like this despite extensive playing of games with set control points.

But if it is happening there will be many more reports so I'll keep an open mind.

Beklim
Jul 6, 2009, 02:23 PM
who in ther right mind buys an iPhone and doesn't put a screen cover on it immediately anyway. i never even touched my screen to try out the coating b4 i put a cover on. My original iphone had the same screen cover on for 2 years

Who in their right mind would buy a screen cover for their iPhone when it shouldn't be necessary. I never even touched my screen with a cover on it and still it hasn't got a single scratch on it despite of heavy use for almost exactly a year.

I win? :)

Seriously. You. Do. Not. Need. Screen. Covers.
If you do, Apple has screwed up.

iphones4evry1
Jul 6, 2009, 02:29 PM
Here we go again.
Everyone panics, the media issues reports of massive recalls, Apple's stock goes down, and then next Monday someone will say "A level 3 engineer determined it was because of a 3rd party carrying case that the customer was using."

Note to the person who took this photo: Maybe you shouldn't carry abrasive objects in the same pocket of your pants that you keep your iPhone in.

How dare Apple not produce an indestructible surface that can withstand some German guy's OCD on a fishing game.

LMAO !!!!!! :D:D:D

I have never put so much as a screen protector on any of them, its not needed. I saw a video when the first iPhone came out, The guy pulled out a set of keys and scrapped across the glass on the first gen phone and there was not so much as a mark! Why people tarnish their phones with those horrible screen protectors is beyond me, they always peel a bit or get contamination in and make the phone look worse. As for that Oleophobic coating, I wish Apple would give the option not to have it because I'm not that interested in that when I come to the end of my 3g contract in a few months and plan to get the 3gs.

Same here. My 3G phone, which I have now had for 12 months has zero scratches on the screen and I do not have a screen protector. Also, I'm not extra careful with my phone. To me, function comes before fashion. I wish Apple had stuck with the same screen for the 3GS that was on the 3G. They can then sell oleophobic screen protector sheets as an option and make more money ... or at least, put the protector in the box and let the customer make the decision whether they want to put it on their phone.

BobVB
Jul 6, 2009, 02:30 PM
Who in their right mind would buy a screen cover for their iPhone when it shouldn't be necessary.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing - its glass - its 'nigh indestructible' unless you work as a diamond cutter or way too much bling on your hand grabbing for it.

I will see if I can make my coating 'defect' - I mean obviously it would be covered under warranty - I'm still skeptical though - glass coating technology is pretty far along - if the coatings on my glasses doesn't wear after years of wiping I doubt a properly done one on the iPhone will either.

mattwolfmatt
Jul 6, 2009, 02:31 PM
Who in their right mind would buy a screen cover for their iPhone when it shouldn't be necessary. I never even touched my screen with a cover on it and still it hasn't got a single scratch on it despite of heavy use for almost exactly a year.

I agree. You don't need screen covers. No issues at all with my ipod (almost 2 years) and my iphone (almost 2 weeks). I keep them in my pockets all the time (making sure there are no keys or change in the same pocket, of course.)

earnjam
Jul 6, 2009, 02:31 PM

Agreed. I had original iPhone for 2 years and have had 3gs since day 1.

No screen covers. No cases. No scratches on either screen for me.

The back of the original iPhone was a different story...definitely had a few scratches and dings, but the screen was still immaculate.

meagain
Jul 6, 2009, 02:34 PM
There have been plenty reports of scratching in comparison to the 3G. Plenty.

I put a Power Support Crystal Shield on ours and I can't tell the difference IMO. In fact, this shield seems to glide better.

Our 2 3Gs were totally babied and there are hairlines in the glass when looked at under light.

optophobia
Jul 6, 2009, 02:38 PM

it wasn't designed for a cover so "who in ther right mind " is a bit strong. And if you must no, I have owned iphones from release day, never used covers, and never had scratches, and I think I am in my right mind...

djdole
Jul 6, 2009, 02:40 PM
I didn't trust the coating from the get-go.
Mine still looks spectacular with it's anti-reflective screen protector. :D

MacTheSpoon
Jul 6, 2009, 02:46 PM
This would be a problem. It looks like it's something that is only visible when the phone is turned off, so at least there's that. Still, it shouldn't be happening, period.

I hope that this guy just got a defective unit.

And my original iPhone has just two teeny scratches on its screen, after a couple years with no protector used. Needless to say there is no wear pattern on the glass, either. The scratch-resistant glass is really excellent.

DonSqueak
Jul 6, 2009, 02:46 PM

I was actually wondering who in their right mind puts a screen cover on the iPhone's nigh indestructible screen. Never needed one and not one scratch on the thing. Prefer not to have small bubbles of air or dust and hair collecting edges of protective film.

DotComCTO
Jul 6, 2009, 02:47 PM

I had a screen protector on my 2G iPhone for 2 years, and while it was ok, it attracted a ton of fingerprints and the plastic got scuffed (it needs replacing). Now I've been using the 3GS since 6/19, and I really like the feel of the screen without the plastic protector. So I'm running without one now. I *do* have the Contour Showcase on the 3GS (hard shell plastic case), and I keep that clipped into its holster (which keeps the screen protected). Thus far, everything is holding up quite nicely.

My feeling is that Apple went through all this effort to devise a "better" screen, so why not use it as intended (with some care, of course)?

:cool:

--DotComCTO

OneMike
Jul 6, 2009, 02:49 PM
This is the reason I decided to go with a screen protector after first saying I wouldn't.

I do believe this guy used it excessively. I mean everything needs a break. I think too much of the same motion resulted in heat and result he got. Don't believe it's his fault, but at same time don't think it's an issue with normal usage.

maverick808
Jul 6, 2009, 03:10 PM
I had a 2G iPhone for a year and then a 3G iPhone for a year and have never used a screen protector, and neither have ever had a single scratch. I put it in whatever pocket I have, jeans, coat, whatever. The only thing I do is make sure I carry my keys in another pocket.

I don't see the need for a screen protector at all, the only things they achieve is making the phone uglier, and making the screen harder to use because they up the resistance and your finger no longer glides as well.

jmdilley
Jul 6, 2009, 03:21 PM
I don't have plastic covers on my couch, but I do have a screen cover on my iPhone, first original and now 3Gs.

Maybe the screen will scratch, maybe it won't. Replacing a screen is cost prohibitive, so I'd rather not take the risk. I'd rather keep the screen in perfect condition so that when a new model comes out that I'd like to get (like the 3Gs), I can put it up on eBay with a perfect screen.

Cases are another story in my opinion. I'm not so sure they don't do more harm than good in some situations. My dad, for example, put his 3G in a case the day he bought it. Took it out 1 year later to take pictures for eBay, and there were plenty of scratches on the back of the 3G from dirt that got into his "protective" case and scratched his phone.

locust76
Jul 6, 2009, 03:30 PM
Looks like he held a lighter to his old 3G

mavis
Jul 6, 2009, 03:34 PM
who in ther right mind buys an iPhone and doesn't put a screen cover on it immediately anyway. i never even touched my screen to try out the coating b4 i put a cover on. My original iphone had the same screen cover on for 2 yearsWhy would Apple tout the new oleophobic - oil/fingerprint resistant - coating as a feature if the screen wasn't really meant to be touched? :confused:

Rootus
Jul 6, 2009, 03:40 PM
My guess is we'll find out that just like the supposed "heat discoloration" of white 3GS iPhones, this will turn out to be nothing. It's unlikely that Apple didn't spend a significant amount of time with testers trying really hard to damage the new screen through excessive usage.

maokh
Jul 6, 2009, 03:57 PM
I have been having trouble with my oleophobic coating. I was waiting for something to be posted about this, looks like im not the only one.

I have many scratches on it just from general pocket usage. They are only visible in direct sunlight though. Non oleophobic coated iphones did just fine in my pocket before. Honestly, i dont care that much ... its just a phone.

Bickity
Jul 6, 2009, 03:59 PM
One person, does not make a problem.

topher2889
Jul 6, 2009, 04:04 PM
Why would Apple tout the new oleophobic - oil/fingerprint resistant - coating as a feature if the screen wasn't really meant to be touched? :confused:

My thoughts exactly. Naked First gen iphone ftw, no scratches on glass. What are people afraid of with all these covers? Live a little

mocciat
Jul 6, 2009, 04:18 PM
Maybe its a bad screen protector...HAHHAAH...Just like the "overheating" that was really discoloration from a third party case. Which when cleaned with rubbing alcohol came right off. I mean really? I will wait to pass judgement until it is substantiated.

penguy
Jul 6, 2009, 04:20 PM
I've had my 1st gen iPhone since the first day (2 years!) It's used heavily, for everything from games to the net to standard PDA usage...well over 6 gb of data download (on EDGE no less) and over 30,000 minutes of phone usage, and I have only one 3/8" scratch on the phone from an inadvertent mix of keys and iPhone in the same pocket.

Never had a case or screen protector, and by far, this phone looks better than any phone I've ever had. Even the back, which has survived quite a few free falls to concrete (even metal deck on a construction site) doesn't look bad.

If this proves to be a problem with the new coating, it will be a big disappointment, since the screen quality has been one of the highlights of my ownership of this phone to date.

dacreativeguy
Jul 6, 2009, 04:21 PM
That looks more like the iphone is overheating and melting the screen!!!! :)

Mr. Zorg
Jul 6, 2009, 04:37 PM
I don't see the need for a screen protector at all, the only things they achieve is making the phone uglier, and making the screen harder to use because they up the resistance and your finger no longer glides as well.
I use one not for the protection as much as for the anti-glare it offers. With the one I have ( http://www.powersupportusa.com/product/show/antiglare-film-for-iphone-3g ) finger glide isn't an issue, it's very smooth. As for making the phone uglier, you can't even tell mine has one on (except the screen isn't glossy). If you put them on poorly, they are ugly. I can be tricky to get on right, but when you do, oh so nice...

MacAndy74
Jul 6, 2009, 04:39 PM
Makes me think. Is Apple going to fix this sort of screen problem under warranty or Apple Care? Or will they say it's 'wear and tear'? :confused:

aperry
Jul 6, 2009, 04:45 PM
I had a 2G iPhone for a year and then a 3G

You guys are too funny. Here's a newsflash: glass can scratch and there are plenty of common scenarios that can scratch your iphone!

My 3G simply slid from the passenger car seat onto the floor of the footwell, face down. The footwell is basically a cloth rug, but of course it was dirty. The fall was less than 1 foot. Anyway, I was left with a distinct 1-inch scratch on the glass screen, one which never would have happened had I been using a screen protector.

There's also pocket change, common grit, keys, etc etc. Make sure not to "wipe you phone clean" on dirty pants!

Anyway, you guys may choose not to use them, but for many people there's a very real need for these things! And if you think you "shouldn't" need one, try using that logic at the Apple store when you ask to exchange your scratched iPhone.

Aaron

badsetup
Jul 6, 2009, 04:52 PM
It's like saying: I drove my car across America 3 times and my tires have no tread left on them. There is something wrong with the tire.

Really funny. :D Those Flick Fishing Marlins can be tough.

Saladinos
Jul 6, 2009, 05:03 PM
It's like saying: I drove my car across America 3 times and my tires have no tread left on them. There is something wrong with the tire.

Really funny. :D Those Flick Fishing Marlins can be tough.

No, it's like driving your car to the end of the road and the tires having no treads left.

This device is operating out-of-spec and he should be entitled to a warranty replacement. So far, this is an isolated issue. If more reports emerge, we can start thinking about larger scale action.

Any Apple Store employee would see that the device is out-of-spec and would replace it on the spot. The fact that he still has the device is evidence that he has not contacted Apple about a replacement, reducing the credibility of the idea that this is a production issue.

compuguy1088
Jul 6, 2009, 05:08 PM
There have been plenty reports of scratching in comparison to the 3G. Plenty.

I put a Power Support Crystal Shield on ours and I can't tell the difference IMO. In fact, this shield seems to glide better.

Our 2 3Gs were totally babied and there are hairlines in the glass when looked at under light.

My first generation iphone was mostly used up until this point without a case, the screen has a few hard to see scratches, otherwise it is still in great condition.

I've had my 1st gen iPhone since the first day (2 years!) It's used heavily, for everything from games to the net to standard PDA usage...well over 6 gb of data download (on EDGE no less) and over 30,000 minutes of phone usage, and I have only one 3/8" scratch on the phone from an inadvertent mix of keys and iPhone in the same pocket.

Never had a case or screen protector, and by far, this phone looks better than any phone I've ever had. Even the back, which has survived quite a few free falls to concrete (even metal deck on a construction site) doesn't look bad.

If this proves to be a problem with the new coating, it will be a big disappointment, since the screen quality has been one of the highlights of my ownership of this phone to date.

Wow! I can barely crack 500 megabytes of data usage of edge.......

freesonwang
Jul 6, 2009, 05:21 PM
What's with the apologetics for Apple? The guy has a problematic/defected iPhone - even if he was playing a fishing game 24/7 - because it's only been a few weeks. All we can do is hope that this is a singular case.

dwsolberg
Jul 6, 2009, 05:29 PM
I think one person with a problem doesn't mean anything. We've all done bone-headed things, and we don't know the situation here.

Maybe the phone hasn't been cleaned and it's just oils. Maybe he has some sort of weird acidity to his skin. Maybe he was wearing gloves that are somewhat abrasive. Maybe one out of a million phones got released from manufacturing with a defect. Maybe it's a hoax.

NewSc2
Jul 6, 2009, 05:41 PM
As for that Oleophobic coating, I wish Apple would give the option not to have it because I'm not that interested in that when I come to the end of my 3g contract in a few months and plan to get the 3gs.
I may consider waiting for the next iPhone and skip the 3gs in the hope that Apple drops the coating too.

The Oleophobic coating, imo, is one of the best features of the 3GS. One rub against a shirt and it looks like it's been cleaned with solution and a microfiber cloth.

I babied my old 2G iPhone, and by the end of the life it did have a couple slightly noticeable hairline scratches. I'm pretty sure Apple's tested the coating to the point where it should withstand normal use, but I'll keep an open mind.

John T
Jul 6, 2009, 06:05 PM
How these idiots who claim they've scratched their screens beats me! It must be an absolute miracle that their car's glass windscreen is not covered in scratches!

CrackedButter
Jul 6, 2009, 06:06 PM

there must be enough people who don't use and screen protection for Apple to apply the new coating to the phone in the first place. I don't have a screen protector for mine, just a case. This is a phone not some precious rare object that has to be kept in pristine condition so it's as new as the day you got it. What other possessions does a person own and treat in the same way?

I don't want to add bulk to my phone and those film protectors are impossibly hard to apply properly, plus they leave a sticky residue after a period of time even though the manufacturer says it doesn't. My itouch was sticky after I had taken the film off.

Blacklabel34
Jul 6, 2009, 06:07 PM

Sure enough, my 3g which is now over a year old still looks like new, I knew I was never going to simulate intentional screen scraping with keys like that guy did even with the phone in constant pocket use!

Why people tarnish their phones with those horrible screen protectors is beyond me, they always peel a bit or get contamination in and make the phone look worse. As for that Oleophobic coating, I wish Apple would give the option not to have it because I'm not that interested in that when I come to the end of my 3g contract in a few months and plan to get the 3gs.

well put, couldn't agree more. I have both iphones (1st gen & 2nd gen) since the beginning. Never put a case or screen protector on either. Half the time my keys end up in the same pocket as my iphone (I can't help it) and I rarely get a blemish here and there. I can live with it. But they are hardly noticeable. I'm actually impressed with the quality of the screen (thank you apple). I don't have the newer 3GS but I'd be interested in seeing what the fuss is all about over this new coating. If it comes off with minimal use maybe apple just expects that most people will buy a screen protector anyways and never experience the product the way it was intended. Ohhh well. :D :apple::apple:

MacFly123
Jul 6, 2009, 06:57 PM
Huh, the oleophobic coating is pretty cool... Hope this wearing out isn't normal case scenario! :(

shortcrust
Jul 6, 2009, 07:14 PM

this one post says all you need to know about these forums;)

retroneo
Jul 6, 2009, 07:40 PM
Hmmm. Saucepan manufacturers have been able to stop oleophobic coatings from coming off saucepans for years.

There should be a solution to this...

mixel
Jul 6, 2009, 08:04 PM
I kept my iphone 3G in a case until the 3GS was announced. I agree with a lot of people's sentiments here I think.. I'm not planning on ever reselling it, so what am I actually protecting it against minute cosmetic damage for? Im making it bulkier and uglier to keep it immaculate for what purpose? If it's never outside of the case (as it was until a couple of weeks ago) it seems.. silly.. I'd never see it's shiny undamaged-ness anyway. Schrodinger's iphone.. It could've looked like anything inside that case, how does it make any difference?

Saying that, I'm finding some games a lot harder to grasp in portrait orientation without the case to hold onto, so i can see a good argument for cases for gamers.. Never had a screen protector though, never thought i needed one. The coating really shouldn’t be coming off like that. :( That could be pretty embarrassing for apple. If i'd rubbed a hole in it like that I'd start looking into how to safely remove the rest of the coating.. The standard 3G glass isnt that bad for smudges..

djgamble
Jul 6, 2009, 08:08 PM
no way he's used the iphone more in 2 weeks than it was meant to be used in 2 years. this is a problem.

True... I've never played the game, but the 3GS is new!
I'm guessing he's an extreme case (has sweaty fingers or something and takes the game really seriously, so twirls more than needed...etc) but still! This shouldn't bust the guy's iPhone in 2 weeks! It's not his that some weird type of screen coating that I've never heard of falls off!

Dagless
Jul 6, 2009, 08:10 PM

In other news the iPod Touch my mother got for Christmas a couple of years ago is in perfect condition. My DS that has been 'touched' since 2006 is in perfect condition. My 5.5G iPod doesn't scratches on the back and none of my stuff is damaged. I don't keep them in cases either...

Shasterball
Jul 6, 2009, 08:14 PM

Apple made the phone. Apple approved the app!!!! How can Apple escape having to replace the phone? I don't think they can.

Shasterball
Jul 6, 2009, 08:15 PM
Who in their right mind would buy a screen cover for their iPhone when it shouldn't be necessary.

In fact, I was told by Apple to NOT put a screen cover on!

studiomusic
Jul 6, 2009, 08:21 PM
He could have used a drill or dremel tool to try and reel the fishies in faster... thus, the wear and tear...?

phaggard
Jul 6, 2009, 09:40 PM
I kept my iphone 3G in a case until the 3GS was announced. I agree with a lot of people's sentiments here I think.. I'm not planning on ever reselling it, so what am I actually protecting it against minute cosmetic damage for? Im making it bulkier and uglier to keep it immaculate for what purpose? If it's never outside of the case (as it was until a couple of weeks ago) it seems.. silly.. I'd never see it's shiny undamaged-ness anyway. Schrodinger's iphone.. It could've looked like anything inside that case, how does it make any difference?

Saying that, I'm finding some games a lot harder to grasp in portrait orientation without the case to hold onto, so i can see a good argument for cases for gamers.. Never had a screen protector though, never thought i needed one. The coating really shouldn’t be coming off like that. :( That could be pretty embarrassing for apple. If i'd rubbed a hole in it like that I'd start looking into how to safely remove the rest of the coating.. The standard 3G glass isnt that bad for smudges..

I wasn't ever planning to sell my 1st gen Iphone until I sold it for $480 and bought my 3G for $199. I was never going to sell my 3G until I sold it for $395 and bought my 3GS for $199. At least for me, never say never.

kingtj
Jul 6, 2009, 09:57 PM
I bought a screen protector for my original iPhone, since it seemed like everyone was doing it and recommending it. Honestly, it was a big waste of $20 or so.

I realized from all the informal tests in people's youtube videos and everything else that even keeping an unprotected iPhone in one's pocket with a full set of keys wasn't scratching up the glass screen.

So when I bought my 3G? I passed on the screen protector. I bought a Slider case for it, mainly because it's the model with a built-in 2nd. battery to double the time between recharges - but the screen has nothing on it, and so far, no scratches at all! I think smudges and fingerprints actually wipe off easier than they did when they got on the plastic film protector sheet!

Willm
Jul 6, 2009, 10:14 PM

Thanks for your comments. I was initially concerned. The new iPhones have only been out a few weeks and several have already had this issue. :( I was imagining what my display could look like after a year or more. However, you learn something new everyday, and I feel much better. :) As long as I don’t misuse my 3GS by playing those addictive games too much, I’ll be fine.

Just to clarify, if the “saddo” used his iPhone normally, the coating wouldn’t be messed up and would easily stand up for the life of the phone, and it wouldn’t be his fault. Is that right?

I love my iPhone and want to preserve it as best as possible. I Googled like crazy but wasn’t able to find any definition of “normal use.” Well, that was until today. ;) Any more details and guidelines for normal use would be really helpful and appreciated. Please elucidate us.

When I say us, I mean developers as well. This way, they can develop applications that hold up to the “normal test.” To play it safe, they may want to stay away from the swiping motion and from developing anything that iPhone lovers might be inclined to play or use frequently. Heck, even Apple needs to be careful! Calculator, texting, or swiping through photos could be used (or misused ;) ) so often the oleophobic coating wears off.

Even Apple Marketing and Legal should take note. When they tout the amazing apps and the iPhone as the best handheld gaming system ever, they should let consumers know that it does need to be used/played according to normal use, and, if it’s not, serious blemishing can occur which would drastically affect one’s enjoyment of the device and ability to read its display, and, as importantly, that this misuse is not covered under warranty.

Anyway, thanks again!

deannnnn
Jul 7, 2009, 12:50 AM
The differences of opinion here are actually really interesting...

wackymacky
Jul 7, 2009, 01:40 AM

What is the piont of a special coating on the screen if you have to put a screen protector on it?

Defeats the whole purpuse doesn't it.

locust76
Jul 7, 2009, 01:54 AM
I think the people here who don't use cases and swear their iPhones dont have a single scratch need glasses. My old iPhone 3G was caseless for about 2 weeks and the backside had all sorts of scratches all over it, just from being in my pocket!

I guarantee that if you drop your naked iPhone on the concrete, you will have all kinds of damage and scratches. Maybe the cheap plastic backing will crack or your trim will dent or chip. Heaven forbid it fall and hit the face. In that case, you WILL have scratches on the face, maybe even pits and chips. Your best hope is that the screen doesn't outright shatter.

I use cases because:
A) I can see, and therefore can see how easily the iPhone body gets scratched up

and

B) I don't feel like paying through the nose for a replacement phone if I drop it or it falls, whereas the 20 bucks to replace a broken case is more reasonable

admanimal
Jul 7, 2009, 02:07 AM
Hmmm. Saucepan manufacturers have been able to stop oleophobic coatings from coming off saucepans for years.

However, those coatings aren't required to be see-thru nor thin enough to allow a touch screen to work beneath them.

Lordedmond
Jul 7, 2009, 03:15 AM
peoples fingers differ

a young lady will have soft finger pads ( clean ones ) :D

a builder /mason will have very rough pads ingrained with sand ext. ( and dirty ) :eek:

so how do you blame the coating when the tool used to perform on it varies so much

a dusty/grimy phone would scratch evan with clean fingers , these things are tools to use not to be put in a glass case

JadeKyle
Jul 7, 2009, 06:55 AM
I have electronic screen OCD. I have used every possible screen protector in the book. With my original iPhone I used a screen protector for months, while my wife used none on hers. After a few weeks, I was looking at scratches all over my protector and my wifes screen had none. I realized that I was willing to look at tons of scratches on my protector every day, why not try going without. After months my iPhone had not one scratch. Now because Apple wanted someone in the Sahara with no access to water to be able to keep the screen clean on their pantleg...I used my 3GS for 2 days before I got my first scratch on this "great" new screen surface. I was livid. I bought a Zagg, and realized that Apple could not have made this very outweighed descision on their own. I suspect the screen protector lobby is stronger than you would think. I think Apple blew this one. Was it really that difficult to clean the old glass-like surface? Were people complaining about how hard this was? Hope they go back to glass without "oil-resistance" on the next model.

JadeKyle
Jul 7, 2009, 07:00 AM
I bought a screen protector for my original iPhone, since it seemed like everyone was doing it and recommending it. Honestly, it was a big waste of $20 or so.

I realized from all the informal tests in people's youtube videos and everything else that even keeping an unprotected iPhone in one's pocket with a full set of keys wasn't scratching up the glass screen.

So when I bought my 3G? I passed on the screen protector. I bought a Slider case for it, mainly because it's the model with a built-in 2nd. battery to double the time between recharges - but the screen has nothing on it, and so far, no scratches at all! I think smudges and fingerprints actually wipe off easier than they did when they got on the plastic film protector sheet!

This is what I was just referring to. You need an open faced case to protect the back and edges, but if the glass screen was exposed, it didn't scratch. The new coating requires a protector and thus, ruins the purpose of having the coating. Nice going Apple, way to ruin one of the iPhone best attributes.

Shasterball
Jul 7, 2009, 08:04 AM
I've had my 1st gen iPhone since the first day (2 years!) It's used heavily, for everything from games to the net to standard PDA usage...well over 6 gb of data download (on EDGE no less)...

You are a very patient person. :)

ratbatblue
Jul 7, 2009, 08:30 AM

I have seen iPhones with scratches on their screens that could've been prevented if something like the PS Anti-glare had been installed. I've ended up (once) with a scratch on my protector that might have left a slight scratch on the screen if the protector hadn't been there. I carry my phone, without a case, in a pants pocket, by itself. I also have a soft cloth underneath it on any hard surfaces I lay the phone on, and I don't, ever, lay it face down on anything. The aforementioned scratch on my screen protector came from, near as I can determine, the phone slipping slightly underneath the backpack I carry my laptop in, while it was on the seat of my car. I assume the metal (or plastic) ring around a ventilation hole did that scratch.

I don't care what anyone says. Not every iPhone's screen is impervious. I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to declare anyone out of their right mind for not using a screen protector, but I wouldn't go without one, myself.

alFR
Jul 7, 2009, 09:36 AM
The new iPhones have only been out a few weeks and several have already had this issue. :(

Really? AFAIK this wear pattern (not scratches, a large area of coating apparently worn off) is an isolated issue at this point, with just the single report referred to at the start of this thread. Do you have a link to back up your claim, or are you just trolling?

dbsmith7
Jul 7, 2009, 11:00 AM
Actually, the coating on my phone is wearing off as well. Albeit not as extensive as mister swirly fingers but as apposed to the first days of use, fingerprints are more noticeable

thewhitehart
Jul 7, 2009, 11:15 AM
I'm glad I came across this thread. I just had a Mr. Bean moment trying to apply a fresh screen protector to my iPhone. Everything was perfect except for a tiny speck of dust to the left of the screen. I just had to fix it - so I lifted the protector and wiped the screen with some toilet tissue. Of course, thousands of toilet tissue threads accidentally got stuck to the sticky part of the protector. I peeled it on and off, wiped it with a wet cloth, and five minutes later was washing it in the sink under hot water and calling it the c word repeatedly. Needless to say it isn't sticky anymore.

After I destroyed the screen protector I just bought I was curious about whether I needed one or not. I came across the YouTube video of the guy abusing the screen with a key. So I tried the same thing with my iPhone. No scratches.

I am now convinced that the screen protector is unnecessary. This Ars Technica article (http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2007/07/iphone-review.ars/13) pretty much proves it.

mattster16
Jul 7, 2009, 11:17 AM
I had a 1st gen iPhone and never used a screen cover (or even a case) the entire time I had it. I never got a single scratch on the screen and I would leave it laying on the coffee table, in my pocket all the time, in my cars center console. So I really don't think screen protectors are necessary.

This whole oleophobic thing is making me think I should use a screen protector. It was at the back of my mind even before I read this post. I have some Power Support films that came with the case I bought for my 3GS which are supposed to be some of the best. Maybe I should use them...???

futch
Jul 7, 2009, 11:17 AM

I have a iPhone 3G and have never put a screen protector on it. It has no scratches and is in the same condition i bought it. Screen protectors aren't a necessity. They do serve a purpose to some extent, but if you don't throw your phone around and use it normally you will have no problems without one.

Seems silly that you truly believe that if someone "touches" the screen before putting a protector on immediately is possibly out of their mind. Its a phone, meant to be used as a phone, and in 2 years (1 for some) you will get a new one.

groovyds
Jul 7, 2009, 11:26 AM

I had 3 iPhones since the very first version, passed one onto the missus and upgraded to the 3g.

People get paranoid that they are going to scratch the phone or something with no evidence.

I saw a video when the first iPhone came out, around the time of the first "will it blend" video, drop testing the phone etc. The guy pulled out a set of keys and scrapped across the glass on the first gen phone and there was not so much as a mark!

I totally agree!

wozzinator
Jul 7, 2009, 11:41 AM

I'm using it in a normal fashion however I'm noticing that it's getting harder and harder to clear the screen of fingerprints which is starting to worry me. Since I don't have service here (at work) I use it to listen to music and it's getting pretty noticeable on the lower half of the screen. I have a feeling this oleophobic screen is not going to last my 2 year contract :(

GutBomb
Jul 7, 2009, 01:12 PM
I've got a ton of scratches on my 3GS screen. Never used a screen protector on the 3g or original model and never had any scratches. It's unfortunate. I just have the phone in my pocket, with the screen pointing inwards. I don't even really understand the point of the coating. The non-coated screens of the original and 3G phones were just as easy to clean. one swipe on my shirt, or even just putting it in my pocket cleaned anything off of the screen. It seems as if the coating was a fix for a problem that didn't really exist.

I wonder if the scratches will go away if I buff off the coating.

aperry
Jul 7, 2009, 02:48 PM
I am now convinced that the screen protector is unnecessary. This Ars Technica article (http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2007/07/iphone-review.ars/13) pretty much proves it.

Actually, that article proves that the iPhone screen can be scratched by putting it inside a plastic bag containing a set of keys and a stone. And is this a surprise? NO. The fact is, abrasive materials that get trapped and rubbed onto the glass will scratch it. That's a fact. It could be beach sand in your pocket or dirt on the pants you use to wipe your oleophobic screen clean, maybe the metal tab by the pocket of your jeans or a spec of sand that happens to be under it when you accidentally place your iPhone face-down on a table.

Sounds like there are several of you lucky enough to have avoided this so far, so kudos to you. But I've seen a ton of iPhones with scratches and as someone with a degree in mechanical engineering I'm really not surprised! I'll spend the $5 and avoid the risk.

ifonehacks
Jul 7, 2009, 04:57 PM
I wonder if it would be possible for Apple to ditribute a touch up spray or something of the like to that the user could apply it them self as needed if something like this happened rather then Apple spending the money to have the person ship the phone to them and then back for service.

ifonehacks
Jul 7, 2009, 05:01 PM
Actually, that article proves that the iPhone screen can be scratched by putting it inside a plastic bag containing a set of keys and a stone. And is this a surprise? NO. The fact is, abrasive materials that get trapped and rubbed onto the glass will scratch it. That's a fact. It could be beach sand in your pocket or dirt on the pants you use to wipe your oleophobic screen clean, maybe the metal tab by the pocket of your jeans or a spec of sand that happens to be under it when you accidentally place your iPhone face-down on a table.

Sounds like there are several of you lucky enough to have avoided this so far, so kudos to you. But I've seen a ton of iPhones with scratches and as someone with a degree in mechanical engineering I'm really not surprised! I'll spend the $5 and avoid the risk.

$5? I bought 3 good screen portectors on eBay for $.99 and that included shipping and 3 micro fibers. So screen protectors are very cheap and I agree they are well worth it.

tabasco70
Jul 7, 2009, 07:30 PM
its a thin layer of this oleophobic material, coating the screen.
It's not a screen protector or anything, just meant to keep fingerprints off. Meaning that it's probably not tough enough to endure the fanatic twirling fingers of a Flick Fisher, as seen in this pic.
I'm guessing, seeing that nobody else has complained, the owner of that phone either plays Flick Fishing waaaay too much, or pushes to hard on the screen or something.
Through normal use i'm sure the coating will last and if you're worried though don't repeatedly rub in the same place over and over.

rstansby
Jul 7, 2009, 08:13 PM

Wow, if I don't behave exactly like you I must be out of my mind.

Thanks for sharing your worldly wisdow with those of us who are less fortunate.

rstansby
Jul 7, 2009, 08:29 PM
its a thin layer of this oleophobic material, coating the screen.
It's not a screen protector or anything, just meant to keep fingerprints off. Meaning that it's probably not tough enough to endure the fanatic twirling fingers of a Flick Fisher, as seen in this pic.
I'm guessing, seeing that nobody else has complained, the owner of that phone either plays Flick Fishing waaaay too much, or pushes to hard on the screen or something.
Through normal use i'm sure the coating will last and if you're worried though don't repeatedly rub in the same place over and over.

How will I unlock the phone? That requires rubbing in the same place repeatedly.

equlizer
Jul 8, 2009, 12:00 AM
i put a screen protector on the day i got it. The protector does already have a few scratches but thats fine. I peeled it off today just to check and the screen itself is prestine! I will always use a screen protector, just maybe get a better one than what i have right now ;)

iluvgr8tdeals
Jul 8, 2009, 04:43 AM
I've got a ton of scratches on my 3GS screen. Never used a screen protector on the 3g or original model and never had any scratches. It's unfortunate. I just have the phone in my pocket, with the screen pointing inwards. I don't even really understand the point of the coating. The non-coated screens of the original and 3G phones were just as easy to clean. one swipe on my shirt, or even just putting it in my pocket cleaned anything off of the screen. It seems as if the coating was a fix for a problem that didn't really exist.

I wonder if the scratches will go away if I buff off the coating.

They added the coating because many people complained about the smudges and fingerprints that were being left on the iPhone 2g and 3g.

Drinahn
Jul 8, 2009, 06:09 AM

I don't, for one. All the covers are crap, and if you just look after your phone in a dedicated pocket and avoid dropping it or kicking it across streets, it won't scratch or have issues.

My iPhone classic has a couple of marks around the edges where I've dropped it, my new 3G S has not a single mark yet.

Regarding this guy and his flick fishing - how long are his fingernails? Strikes me that he's doing something weird.

Drinahn
Jul 8, 2009, 06:52 AM
I totally agree!

You're both mad.

Have you even touched the 3G S display? The "coating" doesn't look any different, and it doesn't feel any different. The screen is just a bit less finger printy. You really hope Apple will give you a "please let me put more finger prints on it" option?

I tried to scratch my classic's screen with my keys, it didn't scratch.

I'll try right now with my 3G S... nope, it doesn't scratch either. Woopdeedoo.

GutBomb
Jul 8, 2009, 09:16 PM
They added the coating because many people complained about the smudges and fingerprints that were being left on the iPhone 2g and 3g.

Read what I said RIGHT AFTER what you bolded. I don't understand the point of the coating because it doesn't PREVENT fingerprints, it just makes them easy to clean off with one swipe, but in my experience it's no easier to clean than the old one. One swipe on my shirt, pants, or inside of my pocket and my 3G screen was clean. And since it wasn't treated with some coating it didn't have a million scratches all over it either.

grue
Jul 8, 2009, 10:28 PM

It's a piece of glass. I've been carrying an iPod touch in my pocket with my keys and god knows what else for almost two years, no scratches of note.

John T
Jul 9, 2009, 04:03 AM
It's a piece of glass.
Exactly! I wonder how many people have scratches all over their car windscreens!

I'm convinced there are some people who, with little effort, can destroy/deface anything! :D

iluvgr8tdeals
Jul 9, 2009, 04:13 AM
Read what I said RIGHT AFTER what you bolded. I don't understand the point of the coating because it doesn't PREVENT fingerprints, it just makes them easy to clean off with one swipe, but in my experience it's no easier to clean than the old one. One swipe on my shirt, pants, or inside of my pocket and my 3G screen was clean. And since it wasn't treated with some coating it didn't have a million scratches all over it either.

I read it. The coating was supposed to prevent the fingerprints, or to significantly reduce their effects. It was also supposed to reduce/eliminate scratches. This thread has many new iPhone 3Gs owners saying this http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=725621&page=11

I only have the iPhone 3G, and cannot comment on the iPhone 3GS. However, majority of the owners of the new iPhone 3GS seemed to make it look like, due to the new oleophobic screen coating, fingerprint issues were a thing of the past.

Thanks for letting us know that it is not the case! (and that you actually need a case, pun intended)

aperry
Jul 9, 2009, 09:11 AM
It's a piece of glass. I've been carrying an iPod touch in my pocket with my keys and god knows what else for almost two years, no scratches of note.

Yes we know, it's been mentioned a dozen times on this thread alone. Keys won't easily scratch the iPhone glass. Thanks. But I guarantee you that abrasives found in common sand and dirt will scratch it under the right conditions, primarily when it's trapped against the glass. So since you're all about testing and proving things to us, try this: Go outside and get a pinch of dirt and then drop it on a table surface. Now press your iphone's glass against it with a little force and move it around. Better yet, try rubbing your newly dirtied screen with a dirty cloth. Now look closely under a halogen light.

That is what can scratch the iPhone. Many of you have the confidence that this will *never* happen to your phone. Great, congrats to you and good luck. And for most of us that scenario can be avoided 99.9% of the time with a little care and who knows, maybe that's good enough. But for many of us (including myself), a scratch pops up and it's clear that we've been burned by that .1% where an abrasive was trapped against the screen. And if you're like me and you care about keeping your screen in pristine condition, that new little scratch is an eyesore each and every time I look at the thing.

But you know, like someone said a couple of posts above, apparently the key to all this is to "avoid dropping it". Thank you for that insightful bit of wisdom.

Willm
Jul 9, 2009, 10:25 AM
Really? AFAIK this wear pattern (not scratches, a large area of coating apparently worn off) is an isolated issue at this point, with just the single report referred to at the start of this thread. Do you have a link to back up your claim, or are you just trolling?

Lol. Trolling?

Okay alFR, try reading in this very thread or an article on www.iPhoneAlley.com. “While self-baking iPhone 3GSs turned out not to be cause for alarm, a new issue with the 3GS is being reported by multiple users that might be a little harder to explain away.” (Since you’re having a hard time believing here’s the link: http://www.iphonealley.com/news/oleophobic-coating-wears-off-3gs.

Let's try not to take what I said out of proportion. Any level of issues (1, a few, or several) after such a short time may be cause for concern. The iPhone is marketed as a gaming system among other things requiring frequent screen tapping and gesturing.

Are you under the impression that anything Apple or any other company puts out is perfect and the materials used will never have issues? Sometimes things don't hold up as expected. This might not be one of those times. But, it might be.

I love my iPhone 3GS and all of my other Apple products. I just don't think nor expect that everything Apple and Steve does is perfect.

Tonezorz
Jul 9, 2009, 10:47 AM
Used my 3G screen-protector-less for a while, and eventually used a power support anti-glare, for my own OCD tastes. This cover stayed on the screen till I had to send it in for repair, and the screen was (of course) flawless.

I've never put one on my iPod touch, and have 4 or 5 decent scratches on the screen, all of which can be seen / FELT easily. I treated both the same, and I treat them very well. Never putting them in the same pocket as anything else, never dropped, etc.

There's just conditions beyond control that cause things like that, unless you were to literally eat sleep and breath protecting your device.

After seeing that the coating has some potential (even POSSIBLE potential) to be scratched / wear off more easily than the standard glass screen, I WILL be using just a screen protector right out of the box. This in my opinion is too big a risk for the long-term, to have your screen end up looking like junk because the coating is wearing off or has picked up a lot of scratches.

I don't understand why people must argue about it. The bottom line is some people aren't as distressed by things like scratches / worn off coatings than others. In my opinion a screen where the entire point of the device is the screen, it deserves protection.

Oh, and if you think screen protectors are junk / look bad / peal / what have you, buy some quality ones. You get what you pay for.

kapnclinton
Jul 9, 2009, 11:17 AM
Eh, I think all the "Screen protector! No screen protector!" stuff is a load of crap. I use a flip case. It adequately protects my back and screen, it's not obtrusively ugly, and I've never had scratches. I've used the same case (new in both cases) for my 3G and 3GS, the 3G never scratched and I've yet to see scratches on the 3GS. The space between the flip cover and the screen is sufficient enough to not let it get scratched easily, and it protects it from me dropping it like a moron.

Your move.

danb77
Jul 9, 2009, 06:37 PM
My oleophobic coating appears to have rubbed off in two small patches on my 3GS. I am no Flick Fishing addict, and have used the phone rather lightly, and taken good care of it.

If this is not a common problem, I may take it into the Apple Store. Anyone else done this? Success?

iJules
Jul 10, 2009, 01:57 AM
I like the oleophobic coating... when I went to buy the 3GS (my first iPhone but not my first iPod) and found out that this was a feature on the new generation it was sorta like an extra bonus to me.
:apple:

I had a screen protector on there but I noticed it never cured like on other phones or my iPod touch, so I took the hint and removed it.

StealthRider
Jul 10, 2009, 05:21 PM
I baby my 3G, but never put a screen protector on until the glass was scratched on one of the edges. Never dropped it, etc., but the Genius said it wasn't a crack...so now it's screen protectors all the time.

labman
Jul 10, 2009, 05:32 PM
Teflon can wear off if used enough or abused any coating can! ;)

NaSsAsSaN
Jul 11, 2009, 10:21 AM

You've obviously have never used (or witnessed) the Power Support Crystal Film Set sold at your local apple retailer or apple store. I've had one on each of my 3 generations of iPhones, and will continue to use them. They are invisible to the eye, and give the screen a fantastic anti-glare, anti-fingerprint feel. With this on my LCD, I don't need any oleophobic coating. And as far as peeling and contamination, that is because whoever applied the protector did a horrible job. My 3GS has no bubbles, peels, or contamination. Just sheer, trustworthy protection. check it out, you won't be disappointed.

beerfromaroot
Jul 11, 2009, 12:20 PM

I have had an iPhone 3GS since launch and I use it normally everyday. I don't excessively use specific gestures more than others, but my oleophobic screen wore off about 1-2 weeks ago. It now gets about the same if not more fingerprints than my old iPhone 3G. It is an issue that I will be taking up with Apple. The feature is great for the first month or so but after that there's no use. They shouldn't be advertising a feature that only works for a month.

healeydave
Jul 12, 2009, 04:35 AM
You've obviously have never used (or witnessed) the Power Support Crystal Film Set sold at your local apple retailer or apple store. I've had one on each of my 3 generations of iPhones, and will continue to use them. They are invisible to the eye, and give the screen a fantastic anti-glare, anti-fingerprint feel. With this on my LCD, I don't need any oleophobic coating. And as far as peeling and contamination, that is because whoever applied the protector did a horrible job. My 3GS has no bubbles, peels, or contamination. Just sheer, trustworthy protection. check it out, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the advice, from what you say, I would certainly put this at the top of the list should I ever need to re-consider my stance on screen protectors.

Currently, that would however require a dramatic change in my current experience with these phones over the last few years.

I don't doubt that some people have managed to damage their screens, thus giving them an opposite opinion. Quite how is still beyond me if anyone has watched the video of the guy trying to scratch the screen intentionally!

I do however think the vast majority of people who have screen protectors and swear by them, are not doing so through a bad experience where-by they have previously scratched an iPhone screen!

I watched people in stores on launch day buying their first iPhones and picking up a bunch of accessories at the same time, including screen protectors.

They have simply purchased one as a preventative measure, and have no evidence to believe that without the screen protector that it was indeed necessary. Short of being able to time travel and re-live that time without the screen protector its impossible for them to know :-)

All I can say is I made a conscious decision not to bother with screen protectors, which I do not currently regret. That is based on having 3 iPhones since the very first launch and no problems with any of them when it comes to scratching or damaging the screen through normal usage.

TroyBoy30
Jul 12, 2009, 09:56 AM
I would rather be safe than sorry

same reason I carry a gun. Better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have it!

kdarling
Jul 12, 2009, 01:57 PM
It's just optical quality glass. That means it's clear. It's not tempered glass, or anything strong (or safe when shattered).

Like all glass, sand/silica in your pocket will scratch it. Anyone who wears glasses or real sunglasses knows that tiny scratches eventually show up, no matter how careful you are.

A nice shield takes away nothing from the experience or feel. I agree with the person who said that those who don't like protectors, must not have installed them correctly. Mine's been on for almost two years, and still looks and works great. You can't even tell it's on unless you look very carefully.

swindmill
Jul 12, 2009, 04:35 PM

A lot of people, myself included, use anti-glare screen covers because they are virtually finger print resistant and glide much better than the glass.

litopine
Jul 14, 2009, 10:58 AM
Yeah I was thinking the same thing - its glass - its 'nigh indestructible' unless you work as a diamond cutter or way too much bling on your hand grabbing for it.

I will see if I can make my coating 'defect' - I mean obviously it would be covered under warranty - I'm still skeptical though - glass coating technology is pretty far along - if the coatings on my glasses doesn't wear after years of wiping I doubt a properly done one on the iPhone will either.

I've NEVER put a screen protector on mine and it is completly fine. :apple:

stomachdoc
Jul 14, 2009, 09:37 PM
This would be a problem. It looks like it's something that is only visible when the phone is turned off, so at least there's that. Still, it shouldn't be happening, period.

I hope that this guy just got a defective unit.

And my original iPhone has just two teeny scratches on its screen, after a couple years with no protector used. Needless to say there is no wear pattern on the glass, either. The scratch-resistant glass is really excellent.

My 3GS has some hairline scratches already.....neither my 3G or my original iPhone had ANY glass scratches after all of their use....and I never used a case, kept them in my pocket with car keys, etc.

I suspect these are scratches in the coating, rather than the glass itself.

John T
Jul 15, 2009, 04:54 AM
In my opinion, people who keep complaining about scratches on the the screens of their iPhones really must learn how to look after their possessions!

As has already been said, glass is one of nature's hardest materials - pretty well next to diamond - to all intents and purposes, is pretty well impervious to scratching. How many people have scratches all over their windows or car windshields? :D

As far as the oleophobic coating is concerned, surely there's nothing revolutionary in this? This and other coatings have been used in optical glass applications for years (i.e. spectacles and cameras) and is not just a simple "coating" that can rub off because it is fused onto the surface of the glass and effectively becomes part of it.

ZipZap
Jul 19, 2009, 07:04 AM
I am a bit confused and perhaps those here can clarify.

Prior to the release of the 3GS...were there reports & threads regarding scratched iphone glass?

Seems to me that all of this started with the release of the 3GS, and with reports that the coating is fragile and wears off.

If this is the case, then this is a major Apple flaw and the phones affected should be replaced with non-coated units.

I loved the idea of the coating, but if it introduces more problems...then its not worth it.

Frankly I am baffled as to how Apple could engineer this solution. One would think they would put the new coated glass through rigorous testing. I mean 1ish months past the launch and the issue surfaces? That should have easily come to light if proper engineering and tested were performed.

I for one want a plain glass replacement (at apples expense).

John T
Jul 19, 2009, 12:00 PM
Prior to the release of the 3GS...were there reports & threads regarding scratched iphone glass?

Seems to me that all of this started with the release of the 3GS, and with reports that the coating is fragile and wears off.

If this is the case, then this is a major Apple flaw and the phones affected should be replaced with non-coated units.

Yes - there were plenty! The "moanerati" have been whittering on about scratched screens on their 3G's for ages!

Before coming to any unwarranted conclusions, remember that all items respond to the way they're treated! ;)

ZipZap
Jul 20, 2009, 09:05 AM
I guess I just did not pay attention cause I never heard much about the glass scratching in normal use.

In any case, if the O-coating wears off, the phone will be replaced by apple.

Since this is a systemic issue (product defect), and one identified during the warranty period...I would have to believe that apple will always have to repair the issue....or replace the glass so the issue is 100% remediated.

They remain silent on the issue for legal reasons I am sure. If you also want to blame the scratching on the coating...you will have to provide some evidence that the coating is more susceptible to scratching. Since the phones seem to scratch before the coating....good luck with that.

I have seen no testing or industry information indicating that the coating wears off or is scratch prone but since it rubs off....I would guess it is scratch prone.

aperry
Jul 20, 2009, 02:33 PM
I guess I just did not pay attention cause I never heard much about the glass scratching in normal use.

In any case, if the O-coating wears off, the phone will be replaced by apple.

Since this is a systemic issue (product defect), and one identified during the warranty period...I would have to believe that apple will always have to repair the issue....or replace the glass so the issue is 100% remediated.

They remain silent on the issue for legal reasons I am sure. If you also want to blame the scratching on the coating...you will have to provide some evidence that the coating is more susceptible to scratching. Since the phones seem to scratch before the coating....good luck with that.

I have seen no testing or industry information indicating that the coating wears off or is scratch prone but since it rubs off....I would guess it is scratch prone.

I don't think anyone has ever seen a 3G phone scratch the same way that the 3GS is scratched in the photo in the first post of this thread. It's one thing to see some random scratches on the screen (which there are plenty of examples), but to see a whole area become worn and "dull" is something that hasn't been seen prior to this.

aperry
Jul 20, 2009, 02:38 PM
In my opinion, people who keep complaining about scratches on the the screens of their iPhones really must learn how to look after their possessions!

As has already been said, glass is one of nature's hardest materials - pretty well next to diamond - to all intents and purposes, is pretty well impervious to scratching. How many people have scratches all over their windows or car windshields? :D

As far as the oleophobic coating is concerned, surely there's nothing revolutionary in this? This and other coatings have been used in optical glass applications for years (i.e. spectacles and cameras) and is not just a simple "coating" that can rub off because it is fused onto the surface of the glass and effectively becomes part of it.

It just take a little sand and some pressure to scratch glass. Not very hard to do if you're not very careful.

armoguy94
Jul 20, 2009, 03:37 PM

Apple is the one who accepted the application, after all.:cool:

Apple. Think Smart.:apple:

Scenicroadways
Jul 20, 2009, 04:32 PM
Apple states right in the manual, that the screen coating will wear off with regular use.

John T
Jul 20, 2009, 05:34 PM
Apple states right in the manual, that the screen coating will wear off with regular use.
In actual fact, Apple say:

"Please note that the ability of this coating to repel oil will diminish over time with normal usage, and that rubbing the screen with an abrasive material will further diminish its effect and may scratch your screen."

Not quite the same thing as "wearing off"! :)

Scenicroadways
Jul 20, 2009, 05:44 PM
In actual fact, Apple say:

"Please note that the ability of this coating to repel oil will diminish over time with normal usage, and that rubbing the screen with an abrasive material will further diminish its effect and may scratch your screen."

Not quite the same thing as "wearing off"! :)

true :-) but it does seem to show that this "coating" really is just a coating that wears down/off or diminishes with normal use. Seems like it would just turn into the regular glass once it does though, and not really be a problem.

ZipZap
Jul 20, 2009, 09:10 PM
The photo on the 1st post is not scratching...so lets me clear about that.

Apple does not say wear off....it says the ability to repel will diminish.

Apple will just claim that your finger was not clean but had some abrasive on it. So who knows if they will make good on replacements should the damage happen.

I for one would like a replacement unit without a coated screen, or acknowledgement from apple of the problem and a guarantee it will be fixed for free should the coating wear off as shown in slide one.

Gee....I thought apple was suppose to be this engineering powerhouse...why else would anyone pay their inflated prices....seems they aint such good engineers afterall:

Overheating
Screen Wearing
Bad battery life
Buggy OS

California
Jul 21, 2009, 01:58 AM
Why people tarnish their phones with those horrible screen protectors is beyond me, they always peel a bit or get contamination in and make the phone look worse.

? My original iPhone has had two screen protectors and a clear hard plastic case on it since day two when I dropped it on accident and realized i was going to probably drop it again at some point. It looks wonderful even in the clear case. My iPhone has remained perfect since; no peeling, no dents, no scratches no problems -- screen immaculate.

healeydave
Jul 21, 2009, 02:21 AM
It just take a little sand and some pressure to scratch glass. Not very hard to do if you're not very careful.

I've had 3 iPhones since the original launch, all 3 have had no screen protection and have been fine (including my current phone which is over 12 months old).

I now know why I haven't had any issues, I don't walk round with a pocket full of sand, I wear clean clothes and I don't work in the sand blasting industry, phew!

.............only kidding :-)

Whilst true I don't believe glass protectors are necessary, seeing how vast and opinionated this thread has become, I think people should simply make their own mind up, perhaps based on their job and type of usage (e.g. will you be doing a lot of commuting with the phone in your pocket etc.).

Just don't blindly buy a screen protector because you think you have to treat your iPhone with cotton wool, they are pretty tough and resilient with no protection!

zahi745
Aug 4, 2009, 08:20 AM
there are screen protectors for a reason. now instead of protect your iphone screen from scratches it's...protect your iphone screen from scratches and prevent the oleophobic coating to wear off...only $14.99 for 2 screen protectors..comes in glossy as well as matte.

but seriously dont spend your time on here go to apple and see what they tell you and report back here on the details!!!!:apple::apple::apple:

ZipZap
Aug 5, 2009, 05:23 PM
What troubles me is that apple did not ship a protector with the phone as they have done in the past.

I sure would like to use my phone without one..I just worry that the o-coating will wear off and apple will not fix.

ed724
Aug 13, 2009, 12:33 PM
Fingerprints, big deal. Glad I put a screen protector on mine. SWEET!!!

fishstacks
Aug 13, 2009, 04:34 PM
Stay tuned for the iPhone 3Gc, where c stands for coating!