Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DonSqueak

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2006
who in ther right mind buys an iPhone and doesn't put a screen cover on it immediately anyway. i never even touched my screen to try out the coating b4 i put a cover on. My original iphone had the same screen cover on for 2 years

I was actually wondering who in their right mind puts a screen cover on the iPhone's nigh indestructible screen. Never needed one and not one scratch on the thing. Prefer not to have small bubbles of air or dust and hair collecting edges of protective film.

DotComCTO

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
who in ther right mind buys an iPhone and doesn't put a screen cover on it immediately anyway. i never even touched my screen to try out the coating b4 i put a cover on. My original iphone had the same screen cover on for 2 years

I had a screen protector on my 2G iPhone for 2 years, and while it was ok, it attracted a ton of fingerprints and the plastic got scuffed (it needs replacing). Now I've been using the 3GS since 6/19, and I really like the feel of the screen without the plastic protector. So I'm running without one now. I *do* have the Contour Showcase on the 3GS (hard shell plastic case), and I keep that clipped into its holster (which keeps the screen protected). Thus far, everything is holding up quite nicely.

My feeling is that Apple went through all this effort to devise a "better" screen, so why not use it as intended (with some care, of course)?

:cool:

--DotComCTO

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
This is the reason I decided to go with a screen protector after first saying I wouldn't.

I do believe this guy used it excessively. I mean everything needs a break. I think too much of the same motion resulted in heat and result he got. Don't believe it's his fault, but at same time don't think it's an issue with normal usage.

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
I had a 2G iPhone for a year and then a 3G iPhone for a year and have never used a screen protector, and neither have ever had a single scratch. I put it in whatever pocket I have, jeans, coat, whatever. The only thing I do is make sure I carry my keys in another pocket.

I don't see the need for a screen protector at all, the only things they achieve is making the phone uglier, and making the screen harder to use because they up the resistance and your finger no longer glides as well.

jmdilley

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2008
I don't have plastic covers on my couch, but I do have a screen cover on my iPhone, first original and now 3Gs.

Maybe the screen will scratch, maybe it won't. Replacing a screen is cost prohibitive, so I'd rather not take the risk. I'd rather keep the screen in perfect condition so that when a new model comes out that I'd like to get (like the 3Gs), I can put it up on eBay with a perfect screen.

Cases are another story in my opinion. I'm not so sure they don't do more harm than good in some situations. My dad, for example, put his 3G in a case the day he bought it. Took it out 1 year later to take pictures for eBay, and there were plenty of scratches on the back of the 3G from dirt that got into his "protective" case and scratched his phone.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Why would Apple tout the new oleophobic - oil/fingerprint resistant - coating as a feature if the screen wasn't really meant to be touched? :confused:

Rootus

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2008
Portland, OR
My guess is we'll find out that just like the supposed "heat discoloration" of white 3GS iPhones, this will turn out to be nothing. It's unlikely that Apple didn't spend a significant amount of time with testers trying really hard to damage the new screen through excessive usage.

maokh

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Seattle, WA
I have been having trouble with my oleophobic coating. I was waiting for something to be posted about this, looks like im not the only one.

I have many scratches on it just from general pocket usage. They are only visible in direct sunlight though. Non oleophobic coated iphones did just fine in my pocket before. Honestly, i dont care that much ... its just a phone.

topher2889

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2007
Wisconsin
Why would Apple tout the new oleophobic - oil/fingerprint resistant - coating as a feature if the screen wasn't really meant to be touched? :confused:

My thoughts exactly. Naked First gen iphone ftw, no scratches on glass. What are people afraid of with all these covers? Live a little

mocciat

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Northern California
Maybe its a bad screen protector...HAHHAAH...Just like the "overheating" that was really discoloration from a third party case. Which when cleaned with rubbing alcohol came right off. I mean really? I will wait to pass judgement until it is substantiated.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
I've had my 1st gen iPhone since the first day (2 years!) It's used heavily, for everything from games to the net to standard PDA usage...well over 6 gb of data download (on EDGE no less) and over 30,000 minutes of phone usage, and I have only one 3/8" scratch on the phone from an inadvertent mix of keys and iPhone in the same pocket.

Never had a case or screen protector, and by far, this phone looks better than any phone I've ever had. Even the back, which has survived quite a few free falls to concrete (even metal deck on a construction site) doesn't look bad.

If this proves to be a problem with the new coating, it will be a big disappointment, since the screen quality has been one of the highlights of my ownership of this phone to date.

Mr. Zorg

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
I don't see the need for a screen protector at all, the only things they achieve is making the phone uglier, and making the screen harder to use because they up the resistance and your finger no longer glides as well.
I use one not for the protection as much as for the anti-glare it offers. With the one I have ( http://www.powersupportusa.com/product/show/antiglare-film-for-iphone-3g ) finger glide isn't an issue, it's very smooth. As for making the phone uglier, you can't even tell mine has one on (except the screen isn't glossy). If you put them on poorly, they are ugly. I can be tricky to get on right, but when you do, oh so nice...

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
Makes me think. Is Apple going to fix this sort of screen problem under warranty or Apple Care? Or will they say it's 'wear and tear'? :confused:

aperry

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I had a 2G iPhone for a year and then a 3G

You guys are too funny. Here's a newsflash: glass can scratch and there are plenty of common scenarios that can scratch your iphone!

My 3G simply slid from the passenger car seat onto the floor of the footwell, face down. The footwell is basically a cloth rug, but of course it was dirty. The fall was less than 1 foot. Anyway, I was left with a distinct 1-inch scratch on the glass screen, one which never would have happened had I been using a screen protector.

There's also pocket change, common grit, keys, etc etc. Make sure not to "wipe you phone clean" on dirty pants!

Anyway, you guys may choose not to use them, but for many people there's a very real need for these things! And if you think you "shouldn't" need one, try using that logic at the Apple store when you ask to exchange your scratched iPhone.

Aaron

badsetup

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
Kind of a joke I think...

It's like saying: I drove my car across America 3 times and my tires have no tread left on them. There is something wrong with the tire.

Really funny. :D Those Flick Fishing Marlins can be tough.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
It's like saying: I drove my car across America 3 times and my tires have no tread left on them. There is something wrong with the tire.

Really funny. :D Those Flick Fishing Marlins can be tough.

No, it's like driving your car to the end of the road and the tires having no treads left.

This device is operating out-of-spec and he should be entitled to a warranty replacement. So far, this is an isolated issue. If more reports emerge, we can start thinking about larger scale action.

Any Apple Store employee would see that the device is out-of-spec and would replace it on the spot. The fact that he still has the device is evidence that he has not contacted Apple about a replacement, reducing the credibility of the idea that this is a production issue.

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
In the Sub-Basement of Solitude
There have been plenty reports of scratching in comparison to the 3G. Plenty.

I put a Power Support Crystal Shield on ours and I can't tell the difference IMO. In fact, this shield seems to glide better.

Our 2 3Gs were totally babied and there are hairlines in the glass when looked at under light.

My first generation iphone was mostly used up until this point without a case, the screen has a few hard to see scratches, otherwise it is still in great condition.

I've had my 1st gen iPhone since the first day (2 years!) It's used heavily, for everything from games to the net to standard PDA usage...well over 6 gb of data download (on EDGE no less) and over 30,000 minutes of phone usage, and I have only one 3/8" scratch on the phone from an inadvertent mix of keys and iPhone in the same pocket.

Never had a case or screen protector, and by far, this phone looks better than any phone I've ever had. Even the back, which has survived quite a few free falls to concrete (even metal deck on a construction site) doesn't look bad.

If this proves to be a problem with the new coating, it will be a big disappointment, since the screen quality has been one of the highlights of my ownership of this phone to date.

Wow! I can barely crack 500 megabytes of data usage of edge.......

freesonwang

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2009
What's with the apologetics for Apple? The guy has a problematic/defected iPhone - even if he was playing a fishing game 24/7 - because it's only been a few weeks. All we can do is hope that this is a singular case.

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
I think one person with a problem doesn't mean anything. We've all done bone-headed things, and we don't know the situation here.

Maybe the phone hasn't been cleaned and it's just oils. Maybe he has some sort of weird acidity to his skin. Maybe he was wearing gloves that are somewhat abrasive. Maybe one out of a million phones got released from manufacturing with a defect. Maybe it's a hoax.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
As for that Oleophobic coating, I wish Apple would give the option not to have it because I'm not that interested in that when I come to the end of my 3g contract in a few months and plan to get the 3gs.
I may consider waiting for the next iPhone and skip the 3gs in the hope that Apple drops the coating too.

The Oleophobic coating, imo, is one of the best features of the 3GS. One rub against a shirt and it looks like it's been cleaned with solution and a microfiber cloth.

I babied my old 2G iPhone, and by the end of the life it did have a couple slightly noticeable hairline scratches. I'm pretty sure Apple's tested the coating to the point where it should withstand normal use, but I'll keep an open mind.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
How these idiots who claim they've scratched their screens beats me! It must be an absolute miracle that their car's glass windscreen is not covered in scratches!

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America

there must be enough people who don't use and screen protection for Apple to apply the new coating to the phone in the first place. I don't have a screen protector for mine, just a case. This is a phone not some precious rare object that has to be kept in pristine condition so it's as new as the day you got it. What other possessions does a person own and treat in the same way?

I don't want to add bulk to my phone and those film protectors are impossibly hard to apply properly, plus they leave a sticky residue after a period of time even though the manufacturer says it doesn't. My itouch was sticky after I had taken the film off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.