PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk REASON-(all things Reason)

mikes70mustang
Jul 7, 2009, 01:44 AM
I don't see it discussed much, if at all, in this area. So I thought I would make a thread about reason stuff. I'll start by saying that I have been using reason for about a year and its awesome. I honestly don't think you can max out the possibilities of this program. I use it mainly for making drum loops. I usually pan my instruments,redrum, dr.rex, etc. to the left and pan a rim tap to the right. That way I use a L/R split and can send a click to the aviom and still have sound for the house. I still have not gotten a MIDI keyboard for reason use, but plan on doing so soon.

So anyway- i would like to open it up for discussion. Set-up, use, tips, tricks, good downloads, Reason 5.0 talk....etc.

Chairman Plow
Jul 7, 2009, 12:57 PM
I've been using it pretty extensively myself. So much that my trusty MPC is collecting dust. There are many that would have you believe that Reason is not for making sample-based Hip Hop beats. I beg to differ. Recycle, Redrum, the NN-XT and a good controller will be your best friends. Coming from the MPC line, I prefer the MPD32.

(For the record, I do NOT limit myself to just sampling.)

mikes70mustang
Jul 7, 2009, 01:59 PM
Just look at the orkester demo. If you can make that in reason then you can make just about anything. If you have all the refills you could bascially create a band out of thin air and make it sound real.

Len.non
Jul 10, 2009, 01:24 AM
ive been using reason for about a year now coming from fl studio and i love it.. the combination with recycle is perfect when it comes to samples and switching up/chopping, along with the nn-xt.... it can easilt replace 2 to 3 thousand dollars worth of studio equipment because an NN-XT can be set up to work like an ASR 10 and you can also use nn-xt for different sound and sample libraries... its amazing, id have ot say my 3 favorite pieces in reason are thor/nn-xt/dr rex

what are your favorites?

Chairman Plow
Jul 10, 2009, 02:35 PM
what are your favorites?

I'd have to go with Subtractor, Redrum, Thor and the NN-XT.

You can create SICK bass patches in Subtractor.

I have a large library of drum samples that I have saved from various pieces of gear that I've used over the years. From my first (ASR-10) to my most recent (Roland MV-8800) and my favorite (MPC 2500). All chopped, EQ'ed and compressed the way I want them. I saved them in wav format and load them in Redrum, and stack them (and modules) as I see fit.

Thor: nuff said.

NN-XT: You said the same thing I told one of my friends... when I tried it with a keyboard controller it felt just like my old ASR.

c-Row
Jul 15, 2009, 08:06 AM
I stopped paying attention after 3.0, but with Renoise finally supporting Rewire as well, Reason might come handy again.

Here's something I put together in Reason. Strange IDM/Chill Out electronica :D

http://www.myspace.com/thomastouzimsky