PDA

View Full Version : computer to computer transfer via USB

NusuniAdmin
Jun 4, 2004, 05:44 PM
Can you do computer to computer transfer via USB? I know you can do this with firewire. The reason I ask is when i get my new emac i dont want to have to spend 30+ bux on a firewire card for my beige (plus a stupid cable). And since i already have usb card on it, a usb to usb transfer would be great. The reason i am doing this, for you curious ones, is because i am going to install 10.1 and 10.2 on my beige and ill have 10.3 on my emac. This will be for my software testing and such. Ill probly also make a partiton on the beige hd for backup of my emac files, so a direct connection would be nice.

The only ways I have thought of doing this is a usb to usb transfer, or get a usb zip (which i am going to need anyways, i have tons of things backed on zip, but current drive is scsi). I would use cd-r but dont want to waste that many of them (guess i could always do multi-session burns, although I have had terrible luck with those). And cd-rw....i have had horrible luck with them, they have NEVER worked for me at all (and i've tried several different brands).

Horrortaxi
Jun 4, 2004, 06:37 PM
Good news/bad news. The good news is that you can network 2 computers via USB. The bad news is that you'll need a special cable for it, which will probably cost more than a firewire card. Plus it's a hell of a lot slower.

Just get the firewire card.

solvs
Jun 4, 2004, 06:39 PM
Use ethernet. Much faster. Get a cross-over cable (though I've heard you don't need them, regular will work. I still prefer cross-over). I suppose USB could work, but even if it did it would be painfully slow.

NusuniAdmin
Jun 4, 2004, 06:45 PM
Never thought of ethernet....thnx

mklos
Jun 4, 2004, 07:12 PM
Use ethernet. Much faster. Get a cross-over cable (though I've heard you don't need them, regular will work. I still prefer cross-over). I suppose USB could work, but even if it did it would be painfully slow.

I will say that FireWire will be much faster than Ethernet, unless its gigabit ethernet. If your networking 1 Macs together you don't need a crossover cable because Macs have a special ethernet port in them that crosses the signal over when needed. It works too! I've tired it!

Espnetboy3
Jun 4, 2004, 08:14 PM
I have my g4 powermac on a router , which hooks up my mac , two ps2's and soon to be my brothers new g5 hopefully in August. When my friend brings his pc over to transfer major film we shoot i hook him up via ethernet cable and becaseu the router is like networking our computers we transfer at like 800-5mb/s

Counterfit
Jun 4, 2004, 09:27 PM
I suggest getting a 100BaseT card for the Beige I got this one (http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=301595&pfp=srch1). it works, and it's less expensive than any of the FireWire cards there. It's also much faster than the 10BaseT that's built in on the beige, not to mention going by USB ;)