Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crowdaddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
East Ontario
Has anyone had any success with a tv tuner card out there? I haven't found a decent one yet and the ones i have tried out have beel really finicky.

windowsblowsass

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
pa
well the fcc mandated that cable boxes have to have firewire now so you might want to wait for your tv providor to get some but i think the ati all in wonders are supposed to work well

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Did you try AlchemyTV from Miglia? If so, why do you think it's not good? I want to buy this card together with my Rev. B power Mac, so I would appreciate your opinion.

king_leonidas

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2003
GREECE
i have the alchemy tv/dvr pci card on my powermac G5 2.0 dual,about 6 monthes now.works perfect without any problem.you can watch tv,record tv program in your mac or with Svideo in of alchemy to import vhs movies in your mac,to watch or record them and after to burn a dvd.
Excellent card for me! :)

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
king_leonidas said:
i have the alchemy tv/dvr pci card on my powermac G5 2.0 dual,about 6 monthes now.works perfect without any problem.you can watch tv,record tv program in your mac or with Svideo in of alchemy to import vhs movies in your mac,to watch or record them and after to burn a dvd.
Excellent card for me! :)

How's the picture quality? Is it comparable to a TV?

crowdaddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2004
East Ontario
wheres the best place to get it? Does it require anything more than a cable tv subscription plus the alchemy hardware?

king_leonidas

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2003
GREECE
crowdaddy said:
wheres the best place to get it? Does it require anything more than a cable tv subscription plus the alchemy hardware?
go to http://www.miglia.com and buy from their online store,like me.No, noithing else from hardware,but if you want to record a vhs tape you need a svhs or a/v cable.and of cource you must install the alchemy tv software from the cd who shiped with card.it's very simple and easy to use and works perfect with panther.try it and you'll remember me.

king_leonidas

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2003
GREECE
see my attachment with a photo from a tv channel with alchemy tv tuner

Attachments

• STAR_0002.jpg
    STAR_0002.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 159

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
wesleyJ said:
can i get a TV tuner for a powerbook g4???

you would need an external (firewire, preferably) device, but yet. i know formac has something that would work, and then there's eveTV. of course, these are much more expensive than the miglia.

AppleJustWorks

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2004
New York
Can you pause live tv?

Can you pause T.V. with the AlchemyTV? I was looking at the EyeTv 200 which is MUCH more money, although it says you can pause tv..

I am looking to buy one for my G5...

king_leonidas

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2003
GREECE
AppleJustWorks said:
Can you pause T.V. with the AlchemyTV? I was looking at the EyeTv 200 which is MUCH more money, although it says you can pause tv..

I am looking to buy one for my G5...

yes you can pause t.v

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.