PDA

View Full Version : Fed Ex question (will they deliver if I am not home?)

Gherkin
Jun 5, 2004, 04:51 PM
My Powerbook is due for delivery on Monday by 10:30 AM.

If I am not home at the time of delivery, will they just leave it on my doorstep, or is there a signature required?

If it matters at all, I live in a more rural area that isn't exactly known for crime.

titaniumducky
Jun 5, 2004, 04:57 PM

If I am not home at the time of delivery, will they just leave it on my doorstep, or is there a signature required?

If it matters at all, I live in a more rural area that isn't exactly known for crime.

They can't leave it without a signature.

plus_c
Jun 5, 2004, 04:57 PM
I would think that for an item that valuable, they would require a signature. I know that I would NOT want FedEx leaving a PB on my front doorstep, no matter how safe the neighborhood is - that's just asking for it to be stolen before you ever see it.

This may not be an option for you, but when I had my iPod repaired, I picked it up from my local DHL distribution center since I couldn't be at home to sign for it. Maybe it wouldn't be too much inconvenience for you to ring up FedEx and ask to do the same? To me, being able to keep it from being stolen outweighs any inconvenience incurred in going to the FedEx distro center.

meta-ghost
Jun 5, 2004, 05:08 PM

depends on your address. you should give it to me and i'll check...

flyfish29
Jun 5, 2004, 05:31 PM
I think they will deliver it when you are not home..but to be sure let me know where you live and when deliver is expected and I will make sure they leave it in a secure place for you to pick it up. :D :D :D

No really, there is no way they will I don't think...but often Fed Ex delivers late in the day or very early so maybe you can call the local distribution center and arrange for a time you are home. If not, then you may have to have it shipped to your place of work, but you would probably have to contact apple to arrange them to receive it back and reship it.

Johnny

Gherkin
Jun 5, 2004, 05:43 PM
Well I work at Wendys (ha), so no, I'm not going to have it delivered there.

I don't even work the day it's supposed to come, but I'm also not going to sit at home all day waiting for Fed Ex (almost everytime I order something and it is shipped Fed Ex or UPS it is delivered a day later than the ETA).

I guess I should just call Fed Ex and see what they say. I've never ordered something this expensive, but in the past, I've never had a delivery that they required a signature.

Bhennies
Jun 5, 2004, 06:21 PM
Well I work at Wendys (ha), so no, I'm not going to have it delivered there.

I don't even work the day it's supposed to come, but I'm also not going to sit at home all day waiting for Fed Ex (almost everytime I order something and it is shipped Fed Ex or UPS it is delivered a day later than the ETA).

I guess I should just call Fed Ex and see what they say. I've never ordered something this expensive, but in the past, I've never had a delivery that they required a signature.I'm almost positive that they will not leave it on primary delivery attempt. You may, however, be able to sign the back of the slip for them to leave it second time around (that's how UPS does it). Either way, GOOD LUCK! Enjoy the PB! :)

fistful
Jun 5, 2004, 07:07 PM
I'm almost positive that they will not leave it on primary delivery attempt. You may, however, be able to sign the back of the slip for them to leave it second time around (that's how UPS does it). Either way, GOOD LUCK! Enjoy the PB! :)

yup, that's how it goes. I received my pb just over a week ago, I was not home for the first delivery attempt. They left a note on the door that if I signed the package would have been left at the door. If no one was home on the second attempt I would have had to pick it up at their warehouse, luckily I was there on the second attempt! :)

johng723
Jun 5, 2004, 07:17 PM
actually fedex did leave my pb on my front doorstep when they delivered it to me. I left to go to the market for like 10 min and when I got back it was there. But it might be because I live in a pretty suburban neighborhood with a pretty much 0% crime rate

James L
Jun 5, 2004, 11:19 PM
just phone them and work out the details, they are cool about it. I have asked them not to just leave a package, and to get my sig first. I have had it delivered to a workplace and gave them the names of the 2 people at the front office that could sign for it, etc.

They are usually pretty good about working out the details of delivery.

Cheers!

virividox
Jun 6, 2004, 04:04 AM
actually fedex did leave my pb on my front doorstep when they delivered it to me. I left to go to the market for like 10 min and when I got back it was there. But it might be because I live in a pretty suburban neighborhood with a pretty much 0% crime rate

wow your lucky it didnt get stolen, even if its 0% crime rate i would have called fed ex up and gotten mad that they just left it without a signature and prior consent

crazzyeddie
Jun 6, 2004, 09:46 AM
What I've heard is that a lot of FedEx's package delivery policy depends on the sender (probably how much they pay, if its insured, etc...). I know that whenever I get anything from Apple, FedEx has always required a signature, even if the package is only worth $50.

TimDaddy
Jun 6, 2004, 10:25 AM

You should have been quiet for a few days, then started calling Apple and Fedex asking when your powerbook is going to be delivered. ;) They left my iPod on my porch in 2002. It wasn't even in a brown wrapper, just an iPod box with a label stuck to it! At the time, the neighborhood was outside the city limits with almost no police patrols! I should have tried for a second one free to sell!

Gherkin, do you work the next day? If you miss them the first day, they should leave a notice. Then, you will know for sure that it will arrive the next day and stay home for it then. If you have anything to do around the house, that can keep you busy unti it arrives. Also, does anyone know if you can contact them and authorize a neighbor to accept it if you aren't home?

jemeinc
Jun 6, 2004, 10:37 AM
I just got a new eMac & the Fed Ex driver left it... He concealed it a little so it wasn't visible from the street- but it sat on my front door step from 1:30 till 4:30...Not sure how I feel about that- on the one hand it does seem a little risky- on the other it did work out fine & save me all kinds of aggravation...

latergator116
Jun 6, 2004, 11:22 AM
Every time something gets delivered to my house, they require a signature. If I am not home, they will leave a note on my door. They would never leave anything at my front door because it would proably be swiped up in 5 minutes. I guess it depends on where you live, though.

sockeatingdryer
Jun 6, 2004, 11:41 AM
I got my eMac yesterday, and I was in the house.
No door bell, nothing. He just left it in front of my door.

SilentPanda
Jun 6, 2004, 01:41 PM
Here is all you should have to do.

Just make a little note saying something to the effect of:

"Fedex,
Please leave the package that is to be delivered today, Monday, June 7th, on my doorstep.

Thanks,
"

Then print your name and sign your name, stick it on your door.

Both UPS and FedEx have always left packages on my doorstep when I did this. At worst they won't leave it and you'll have to get it later.

crazzyeddie
Jun 6, 2004, 02:48 PM
Here is all you should have to do.

Just make a little note saying something to the effect of:

"Fedex,
Please leave the package that is to be delivered today, Monday, June 7th, on my doorstep.

Thanks,
"

Then print your name and sign your name, stick it on your door.

Both UPS and FedEx have always left packages on my doorstep when I did this. At worst they won't leave it and you'll have to get it later.

Agreed, that always works for me.

Gherkin
Jun 6, 2004, 03:42 PM
yea I called Fed Ex and that's what they told me to do.

Well, one more day and I'll have my Powerbook. Can't wait.