Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klyau6

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
DC
Greetings--

I recently bought my first apple computer, and was wondering what the mac equivalent was to ctrl+alt+del for windows machines. i ask this becuase my computer will just keep showing the spinning color wheel every now and then and it won't stop and it bugs the hell out of me.

thanks!

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
On a Mac it's called force quit, and the keyboard shortcut is command-option-escape. Alternatively, you can choose "Force Quit..." from the Apple menu.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
additionally, if you need to close an invisible process, you can open an app called "Activity Monitor". it resides in the utilities folder of your applications folder. good luck, welcome to the mac, and if you have any more questions, we're happy to help!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
klyau6 said:
Greetings--

I recently bought my first apple computer, and was wondering what the mac equivalent was to ctrl+alt+del for windows machines. i ask this becuase my computer will just keep showing the spinning color wheel every now and then and it won't stop and it bugs the hell out of me.

thanks!

Welcome to the dark side! :)

You may find that you're short on RAM when you see the rainbow cursor for any length of time. It's somewhat typical of brand new machines, as they're rarely outfitted with enough memory.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
if you really want to know what's going on under the hood, open the terminal app and type "top" in there. you will see a lot of useful information, if you can read it ;)

(it quits by pressing the 'q' key, if someone wonders...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.