PDA

View Full Version : G3 iBook

Cam59
Jun 6, 2004, 05:42 PM
My sister wants to buy an iBook but does not want to spend $1100 for the new version. Instead we found a brand new G3 800MHz at macmall.com for $740. I have no idea if this computer is ok for her, all she does is email, aim, word, and a few basic games. She will keep this computer for at least 3 years. Is this a good deal or should she save up and go for the G4. Thanks.

Spock
Jun 6, 2004, 06:51 PM
My sister wants to buy an iBook but does not want to spend $1100 for the new version. Instead we found a brand new G3 800MHz at macmall.com for $740. I have no idea if this computer is ok for her, all she does is email, aim, word, and a few basic games. She will keep this computer for at least 3 years. Is this a good deal or should she save up and go for the G4. Thanks.

Check the special deals in the Apple Store You can get a iBook G4 pretty cheap I think the cheapest I have seen is $799 for the 800G4

wide
Jun 6, 2004, 08:53 PM
That is not a good deal. The G4 is already an old processor, so getting a G3 would definately not be preparing for new software releases (i.e. Tiger). That computer will last three years for her, but you might as well spend $50 extra and get an Apple refurbished G4. I hear they are good quality computers and Apple makes them like-new with their "stringent refurbishing process". You can always get an iPod & iBook cleaner to get rid of the scratches on the back of the notebook's screen.

latergator116
Jun 6, 2004, 09:29 PM
That is not a good deal. The G4 is already an old processor, so getting a G3 would definately not be preparing for new software releases (i.e. Tiger). That computer will last three years for her, but you might as well spend $50 extra and get an Apple refurbished G4. I hear they are good quality computers and Apple makes them like-new with their "stringent refurbishing process". You can always get an iPod & iBook cleaner to get rid of the scratches on the back of the notebook's screen.

Im skeptical of their "stringent refurbishing process" because my iBook came with a lose cable (basically, the computer wouldn't charge). But, worst case scenario, you can get it fixed since it comes with a one year warranty.

When I got my iBook, it was in almost perfect condition. They must have replaced the top and bottom case because there was not one scratch.

jemeinc
Jun 6, 2004, 10:19 PM
I would highly recommend avoiding the G3 iBooks at all costs... That one was a clunker- it happens... I'm sure there are people who will tell me how great they are, I respect that... But from my experience, & reading the experiences of others- the chances of problems are pretty good... I would NEVER, in good faith, recommend someone buy a G3 iBook... That's just my opinion thopugh....