PDA

View Full Version : Found and Apple display

markjones05
Jun 6, 2004, 10:03 PM
I found this apple display like the one shown in the picture on the side of the road and picked it up. It looks like it may still work but the cord that plugs into your machine is cut off half way down. Is this worth keeping? Can it be repaired?

Sun Baked
Jun 6, 2004, 10:08 PM
They probably threw it out, that monitor suffered a high rate of failure soon after the warranty expired -- somewhere around 99.9% over the long haul.

There are some sites that show you what parts need to be repaired, after the snap, crackle, pop moves into complete failure.

Cool monitors, but they do need some TLC.

krimson
Jun 7, 2004, 09:04 AM
All you'd really need to do right now is just splice in a new 3 prong plug. Once you've done that, plug it in and see if it works.. if not, put it back where you got it, and wipe your fingerprints off.
Dont know about NY, but i believe it's illegal to throw monitors in the trash here.

TBR
Jun 7, 2004, 09:24 AM
God it's rare enough to see another working mac over here in 'sunny' England, never mind at the side of the road.

applemacdude
Jun 7, 2004, 09:37 AM
A monitor is almost NEVER worth fixing...

virividox
Jun 7, 2004, 10:40 AM
A monitor is almost NEVER worth fixing...

crt have dusts which has been linked to certain diseases. wouldnt touch old monitors

7on
Jun 7, 2004, 12:13 PM
Sounds like a school. When schools generally throw out monitors/computers they cut all the cables to dissuade people taking them and/or selling them. Not my campus though, they have an auction :)

jeremy.king
Jun 7, 2004, 01:17 PM
All you'd really need to do right now is just splice in a new 3 prong plug. Once you've done that, plug it in and see if it works.. if not, put it back where you got it, and wipe your fingerprints off.
Dont know about NY, but i believe it's illegal to throw monitors in the trash here.

It was the video cable that was cut, not the electric plug. IIRC, that was a VGA monitor so splicing, while still doable, is a little more complicated.

krimson
Jun 7, 2004, 02:00 PM
hmm... must have misread that.. yeah, toss the thing, it's really not worth it.. unless you want to either open it up and replace the entire cable or splice 15 tiny 24(or 18)awg wires.

markjones05
Jun 9, 2004, 09:23 PM
on the curb.

superbovine
Jun 9, 2004, 11:45 PM
Sounds like a school. When schools generally throw out monitors/computers they cut all the cables to dissuade people taking them and/or selling them. Not my campus though, they have an auction :)

heh that kinda sucks. they good at least donate them which would actually better because they could just call someone to donate them and they would come pick them up.

Makosuke
Jun 10, 2004, 05:23 AM
The lead and other toxics in CRTs make them difficult and expensive to dispose of--I think it's $25 where I live--so NOBODY wants one, even if it's old but working. No doubt that's why somebody dumped it off beside a road--no fees for that!

Sorry you got stuck with a bum monitor, but hey, the case is sort of retro-cool, so maybe you can pay to have the CRT discarded properly and use the case for a fishtank or something.

Sun Baked
Jun 10, 2004, 08:24 AM
People will gladly haul away any computer equipment you might have free of charge: just leave the stuff in a car with the window rolled down.

Of course they may demand your CDs and car stereo as a tip while they're at it. ;)

AssassinOfGates
Jun 10, 2004, 09:52 AM

Auction, heh. My school just gives em out for free. They gave away 75 15" Dell and 17" Cybervision monitors in one day :cool:

markjones05
Jun 10, 2004, 07:22 PM
Anybody want a 17" apple crt monitor in need of fish? i'll start the bidding at 1 cent plus shipping and handeling. :)

jknight8907
Jun 14, 2004, 09:44 PM
That would make a sweet fish tank. Put acrylic over where the monitor was..... then when they got too big, just plug it in, and you've got a fish-boiler.

PowerMacMan
Jun 14, 2004, 09:50 PM
WOW! I never knew that CRT's are so dangerous! I'm going to tell my dad we NEED an Apple Display! :D

Or the new ones whenever they come...

tjwett
Jun 16, 2004, 09:43 AM
usually when someone cuts the wire on an appliance it's to tell potential garbage pickers "Hey! This thing is broken. Beware."