Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronald

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
the Netherlands
May the 25th i ordered a new 17"PB G4 1.5 GHz 128MB Vram, 5400 rpm harddisk. I received an e-mail from the apple store that my PB is shipped the 28th of may. So far so good.

Like all people who ordered an apple i checked the apple site many times a day to see when it's gonna arrive. Today i got a question about my order so i decided to call the apple store. After giving them my web order number the person i spoke to cheerfully said: "ah i see, it's a refurb. You've ordered a refurbished 17" PB". I'm like, "no way! I didn't order a refurd but a brand new PB!". AfteHaving said this there is a moment of silence. He asked me if i could give him the webordernumber again because he problably had the wrong ordernumber. I give him the number and he says it's the same number. He mutters and then he says "ah i see, it is a new 17" PB".

My concern is that the are sending me a refurb while i ordered and paid for! a new one. Does any of you know if there is any way of making sure that i will get a new PB instead of the refurb? Ofcorse apple says it's a new one. They will probably deliver on wednesday, is there any possibility of me checking something like data in the PB which may point out that parts have been replaced of that it went through some extra tests? Of is there suppose to be a label of another mark of any kind placed on the PB or in the delivery box that says it's a refurb? Maybe somebody who has ordered a refurb knows what the marks of recognition of a refurb are?

Many thanx!

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
ronald said:
May the 25th i ordered a new 17"PB G4 1.5 GHz 128MB Vram, 5400 rpm harddisk. I received an e-mail from the apple store that my PB is shipped the 28th of may. So far so good.

Like all people who ordered an apple i checked the apple site many times a day to see when it's gonna arrive. Today i got a question about my order so i decided to call the apple store. After giving them my web order number the person i spoke to cheerfully said: "ah i see, it's a refurb. You've ordered a refurbished 17" PB". I'm like, "no way! I didn't order a refurd but a brand new PB!". AfteHaving said this there is a moment of silence. He asked me if i could give him the webordernumber again because he problably had the wrong ordernumber. I give him the number and he says it's the same number. He mutters and then he says "ah i see, it is a new 17" PB".

My concern is that the are sending me a refurb while i ordered and paid for! a new one. Does any of you know if there is any way of making sure that i will get a new PB instead of the refurb? Ofcorse apple says it's a new one. They will probably deliver on wednesday, is there any possibility of me checking something like data in the PB which may point out that parts have been replaced of that it went through some extra tests? Of is there suppose to be a label of another mark of any kind placed on the PB or in the delivery box that says it's a refurb? Maybe somebody who has ordered a refurb knows what the marks of recognition of a refurb are?

Many thanx!

I would think it is highly unlikely that it is a refurb. My refurb came in somewhat dirty (first one- they replaced after I had issues with that one) so that might be one way to know. I got all the books, wires all twist tied up, etc so it would be very difficult to know for sure. I think the refurb. boxes are not the same...if I remember right, they are black and tan printing instead of full color white boxes. At least my 17 " iMac refurb was in a black and tan box...don't iMacs usually come in white boxes when new?

they change the serial numbers when refurb, but don't think the serials are special numbers, just new ones.

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
Ronald,

If you ordered on May 25 (like me) there is no way on heaven or Earth that you'll be receiving a refurb - that would have to be the fastest stock turnover imaginable. Especially since in the lesser territories like our own, the Powerbooks have only just begun shipping (let alone the CTO Powerbooks).

I would not worry about it. If it's refurbed, you'll know by checking "About this Mac" in the Apple Menu.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
if it was a refurb, you'd know by the box. my refurb came in the standard box, but was dirty and banged up.

on another note, ignoring what was said above (which is very good advice/common sense), even if it was a refurb, you would prolly never know. i bought a refurb emac, and if i hadn't known it was a refurb, i *never* would have guessed. it was absolutely perfect, came with all documentation, discs, etc. but the shipper did say that it was a refurb, so if you look at the invoice, it will say very clearly. oh, and my emac was puuurrfect - not a single problem - no scratches, no nothin...

matt

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
It's against the law to sell refurbs as new. I seriously doubt Apple is engaging in this practice.

dopefiend

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
DGFan said:
It's against the law to sell refurbs as new. I seriously doubt Apple is engaging in this practice.

^---- Yup, they would be looking at a big lawsuit.

ronald

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
the Netherlands
thanx for all of your (very fast!) reactions! You really reassured me. I think it's correct that it highly unlikely that this order is to be a refurb because the just started delivering them. Now i also know that a refurb i easily recognized. There won't be a problem then i think. pfff!

And if they do send me a refurb and as some people said: there is nothing wrong with a refurb, i will just be asking them for some extra goodies! of a big lawsuit ofcorse! I guess i fits to say that the people who gave me the idea of accusing them will be rewarded if i win the case. Let's say new PB G5's for everyone that helped me so far? seems fair? :D :D

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
refurb comes in a different box. otherwise, your PB should come in a brand new box with a seal. it's supposed to be illegal to re-seal the box once opened (reason for the re-stocking fee... once open, it's a refurb, even if the machine hasn't been used at all), so if it's sealed in the original box, i'd think it's 99% likely to be brand new.

just thinking... it's possible maybe apple puts refurb and BTO in similar category? dunno, maybe the category said refurb/BTO or something. who knows...

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
dopefiend said:
^---- Yup, they would be looking at a big lawsuit.

Yep. And I should know! I got money from the class-action Packard Bell lawsuit. Yes, I had one of those
:)

ronald

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
the Netherlands
"Yep. And I should know! I got money from the class-action Packard Bell lawsuit. Yes, I had one of those "

I don't know about the class-action Packard Bell Lawsuit. Why the lawsuit and what did you get? You made me very curious. You think it's safe that i already contact the best laywer i can find to represent me? Is such a lawsuit profitable? :rolleyes:

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
ronald said:
I don't know about the class-action Packard Bell Lawsuit. Why the lawsuit and what did you get? You made me very curious. You think it's safe that i already contact the best laywer i can find to represent me? Is such a lawsuit profitable? :rolleyes:

I believe PB was taking working parts from DOA/returned systems and putting them into computers they were selling as new.

The lawsuit wasn't a big deal. I think I got $5 or something. One of those situations where the only people who make out are the lawyers (thus, my impending attendance at law school :D )

ronald

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
the Netherlands
aah well, that 5 bucks (in my case about 4 Euro's) isn't really worth it. It's always the laywers who make the money! I'm glad too i started law school about 2 years ago! :D :D
Hopefully soon i will be able to buy the entire apple product line just because is make too much money! Can you see it? a top of the line PB, iBook, PowerMac, Apple Display, iMac, eMac and all the nice gadgets and toys that you can buy for this line-up!..................................... I will definately make a new thread when it's that time! :eek:

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
DGFan said:
I believe PB was taking working parts from DOA/returned systems and putting them into computers they were selling as new.

The lawsuit wasn't a big deal. I think I got $5 or something. One of those situations where the only people who make out are the lawyers (thus, my impending attendance at law school :D )

Never really any winners other than lawyers in class action lawsuits.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
My refurb was in PERFECT shape. You couldn't even tell the eMac had been used. The only exception was the keyboard which lacked the shiny, perfect whiteness of a new one.

If your PB comes in a black suitcase-like-cardboard-thing with a pictures of the PB on it and a seal across the opening, it's new. My refurb came in a brown Apple box.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
OziMac said:
Ronald,

I would not worry about it. If it's refurbed, you'll know by checking "About this Mac" in the Apple Menu.

How would you know...I have a refurb and it says nothing in the about this mac about refurb. Nothing on the software would that i know of. In fact the hardware doesn't have any refurb marking either...just a new serial number seal.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
hmm... i'll have to check mine when i get home. i'm pretty sure that the sticker inside of the cd tray of my emac states that it's a refurb. again, not that it really matters ;)

and mine came w/a new kb, mouse, and everything, in the sealed plastic baggies : ) i think mine had possibly never been opened before.

imagine my horror when i turn it on and the image is rotated a few degrees CCW... i was horrified! that is, until i found the pref. pane that let you change that. i was sooo happy - i was worried i was gonna have to send that mother back! (68 lbs shipping weight!)

but i love it dearly.

again, not that any of this matters, since we've decided you're not getting a refurb :) just like sharing my really positive story ;)

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
mkaake said:
hmm... i'll have to check mine when i get home. i'm pretty sure that the sticker inside of the cd tray of my emac states that it's a refurb. again, not that it really matters ;)

and mine came w/a new kb, mouse, and everything, in the sealed plastic baggies : ) i think mine had possibly never been opened before.

Mine came with a used keyboard and mouse, but was all bagged and twist tied like new. I know they were used cause they were very dirty, scratched, etc.

I don't have a sticker inside my cd tray...I got mine in Oct. last year so I wonder if that is a new thing?

By the way- Ronald, let us know how your new mac ends up looking, etc when you get it please.

Johnny

KevCo

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2003
The serial number sticker on my G5 said REFURB on it. Other than that it looked brand new. The keyboard/mouse/cables/books all were clean and new wrapped in plastic. It was in a normal retail box with a refurb sticker added. The box was pretty beat up, but I assume that was because I chose the cheapest shipping. (It actually showed up at my house in a rented moving truck...seriously).

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
KevCo said:
The serial number sticker on my G5 said REFURB on it. Other than that it looked brand new. The keyboard/mouse/cables/books all were clean and new wrapped in plastic. It was in a normal retail box with a refurb sticker added. The box was pretty beat up, but I assume that was because I chose the cheapest shipping. (It actually showed up at my house in a rented moving truck...seriously).

funny about the truck...kind of sketchy being delivered by a rented truck. You have to wonder if the reason it is refurb. is this: Some delivery man dropped it off the truck...took it home cause it was damaged goods and they always get the damaged goods...and then realized it was not working so sent it back to apple, and Tadah! You have yourself a refurb. computer with a crappy box.

The other scenario is this: The fed ex truck crashed, box damged, but they rent a truck to deliver them anyway.

Of course I know Fed Ex often rents extra trucks when needed though it is still very funny to think about the possibilities.

I don't have a refurb sticker on my iMac...but the box says reconditioned Macintosh on it.

Johnny

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
flyfish29 said:
How would you know...I have a refurb and it says nothing in the about this mac about refurb. Nothing on the software would that i know of. In fact the hardware doesn't have any refurb marking either...just a new serial number seal.

Because if it's a 1.5GHz G4, it's no refurb (unless it's poor Aswitcher's, but that's a 17" in Australia anyway).

Mkaake, I agree with you completely - my eMac is refurbed, and there was nothing whatsoever to suggest it was, everything came out of the box (the normal white box too) like new. Only the fact that I knew it was refurbed (and to a lesser extent, that it was an older model with unusual specs) evidenced is refurbished-ness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.