Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoshBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Hoping someone could help and give some insight. I currently have the following -
macbook 13inch, macbook pro 15inch, Imac 24inch, apple TV and two iphones. I have an airport extreme that has a 1TB drive running off it that all the computers can see and I have a mobileme account.

Is it worth me getting a mac mini and running leopard server on it? what benefit will it give me?

Thanks for your advise in advance.

JoshBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Sydney, Australia
well it comes down to the fact that at the moment i have shared media and storage through the HDD attached to the airport and there is only me and my girlfriend using it all. To say you dont know what it does so you dont need it is not constructive to what I am asking. I am asking with all those items that I own what is the benefit of running a server?

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
To say you dont know what it does so you dont need it is not constructive to what I am asking

Still have no idea what you want to do? Do you want to host the media from the mac mini? Mac OS X server can do lots of things.

Your airport extreme is a good server for you already but if you like to show off that you have Mac OS X Server running in your house...

Here is an example set up:

Set up the mac mini with AFP services.

Create a folder and put your media in there.

Connect to it.

Does everything like you have now put now the extra cost of a Mini and 10 client Mac OS X Server license.

JoshBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Still have no idea what you want to do? Do you want to host the media from the mac mini? Mac OS X server can do lots of things.

Your airport extreme is a good server for you already but if you like to show off that you have Mac OS X Server running in your house...

Here is an example set up:

Set up the mac mini with AFP services.

Create a folder and put your media in there.

Connect to it.

Does everything like you have now put now the extra cost of a Mini and 10 client Mac OS X Server license.

Awesome, thank you. This is why i was confused? I was looking at it going "well I get to do all that except the account management"
Thanks for letting me know.

Cheers

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Rumor has it that 10.6 server is suppose to support the iPhone some how.

I spent 30 minute trying to figure out wtf to do with your apple tv and iPhone. Both would need to be hacked to even get AFP services.

I did think about account services but seem too much of an over kill.

Maybe come back and remake the thread when 10.6 comes out and it might have something for the iPhone.

JoshBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Rumor has it that 10.6 server is suppose to support the iPhone some how.

I spent 30 minute trying to figure out wtf to do with your apple tv and iPhone. Both would need to be hacked to even get AFP services.

I did think about account services but seem too much of an over kill.

Maybe come back and remake the thread when 10.6 comes out and it might have something for the iPhone.

You are right. 10.6 has a lot for the iPhone with push etc but I don't think I can justify the spend to get just a few things....

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Required? No. Wanted? Perhaps. Cool toy factor? Yes. Benefit from having a server? Yes. (buy a domain) Required. No. Wanted? I said yes.
:)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
the MacMini would be a great idea, it allows for ALOT more expandability then the Time Capsule and allows for it to be used and interacted with a lot more.

you should really think about connecting the mini up to a TV, so you can watch movies directly off it without any troubles.

i wouldnt worry about OSX Server, it is a bit of overkill in your situation.

goodluck

JoshBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I should mention that I do have a website for my business but that is currently hosted through MobileMe. Thanks for all the input. As you can tell I love spending money so I will ponder on this and try to decide what is best for my ego :)

JoshBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Sydney, Australia
one more question

the bigger the better i say!

Well one more question before I make up my mind... As I noted I have the 24inch Imac, this is what organises all my photos, music (music is held on the TB HDD attached to the Airport Extreme) The macbook is for the loungeroom and the macbook pro is for what ever I want it for.
Can I run Leopard Server on the Imac and still run the Imac with all its programs as I do today? So in other words I have it as the server but can stil jump on it and open up photoshop to do some work on or Iworks, email etc?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Yes! Yes! Yes!

Well one more question before I make up my mind... As I noted I have the 24inch Imac, this is what organises all my photos, music (music is held on the TB HDD attached to the Airport Extreme) The macbook is for the loungeroom and the macbook pro is for what ever I want it for.
Can I run Leopard Server on the Imac and still run the Imac with all its programs as I do today? So in other words I have it as the server but can stil jump on it and open up photoshop to do some work on or Iworks, email etc?

yes of course!!!! OSX Server runs EXACTLY the same as normal OSX, it looks darn similar and everything. the differences are more 'under the hood', it has extra services that allow you to set up mail servers, manage other computers and whatnot. you can install whatever software you want onto it (installing software on a small server wont effect it, in large organisations its generally not as needed).

i am still wondering why you want to install OSX server, seems like a waste because you wont benefit that much....

JoshBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Sydney, Australia
yes of course!!!! OSX Server runs EXACTLY the same as normal OSX, it looks darn similar and everything. the differences are more 'under the hood', it has extra services that allow you to set up mail servers, manage other computers and whatnot. you can install whatever software you want onto it (installing software on a small server wont effect it, in large organizations its generally not as needed).

i am still wondering why you want to install OSX server, seems like a waste because you wont benefit that much....

I guess the reason I want to look at having it is to manage all 3 computers, 2 iphones and the apple TV as simple as possible. I also want to be able to selectively back up parts of them and manage a shared calender service. I think I just need to go into the apple store and see if they can demo what all my options are and how it will benefit me, still slightly confusing but thats all the fun i guess. I also wanted to create and run a family type private web hosting page was another reason. My home business is run by another company but with family all over the country I thought it would be great if family members could access a blog or webpage I host and add photo's, video and comments etc through it. And as another user said, the bigger the better LOL then again my mobileme delivers on some of those fronts, decisions decisions.......

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I guess the reason I want to look at having it is to manage all 3 computers, 2 iphones and the apple TV as simple as possible. I also want to be able to selectively back up parts of them and manage a shared calender service. I think I just need to go into the apple store and see if they can demo what all my options are and how it will benefit me, still slightly confusing but thats all the fun i guess. I also wanted to create and run a family type private web hosting page was another reason. My home business is run by another company but with family all over the country I thought it would be great if family members could access a blog or webpage I host and add photo's, video and comments etc through it. And as another user said, the bigger the better LOL then again my mobileme delivers on some of those fronts, decisions decisions.......

i said the bigger the better :p

all those things you mentioned are possible from normal OSX, but if you are willing to give Server a go then go for it! its very easy to use.

JoshBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2008
Sydney, Australia
If you're gonna fork out the $500 for the 10-user licence, just throw in the money for a Mac Pro, I say.

Dont tempt me my wife will leave me LOL :D

Now that you say it.... it would help with my photography business and now that I am doing video..... stop,.... can't... wife will... kill.....me..... i'm going down to apple LOL

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
Yes, I am.

I would recommend in your case to not bother. You can still host websites on the plain ol' Mac OSX. Mac OSX comes with a static web server built in and you can add a dynamic server for free (MAMP is a great free solution).

In your case, Mac OSX Server is a frivolous purchase. You don't need it, period.
If you still want to buy it, wait until Snow Leopard Server this September. It comes in at $500 for the unlimited license version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.