PDA

View Full Version : confused about wireless

lazyboy922
Jun 9, 2004, 01:05 PM
How exactly does it work? I mean I have dsl right now, so can i just go out and buy an airport base station, hook the dsl up to that and then have wireless?

Sorry this is such a dumb question, but im just not clear on how it works.

thanks,

Don

7on
Jun 9, 2004, 01:12 PM
buy an airport base station, hook the dsl up to that and then have wireless?

yes, granted you have a computer with a wireless card. (i.e. Airport card)

lazyboy922
Jun 9, 2004, 01:34 PM
the only problem is that my pc doesnt have an airport card, is there a way to hook both of them up? my powerbook would be using the wireless.

jeremy.king
Jun 9, 2004, 01:35 PM
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/wireless-network.htm

Flowbee
Jun 9, 2004, 01:49 PM
the only problem is that my pc doesnt have an airport card, is there a way to hook both of them up? my powerbook would be using the wireless.

1) You connect your dsl modem to your wireless base station with a network cable.

2) You connect your pc to the base station with a network cable. The pc connects to the internet thru the base station. (you could also buy a wireless adaptor for your pc and connect to the basestation wirelessly)

3) You install an airport card in your notebook. The notebook then connects to the internet wirelessly through the base station.

lazyboy922
Jun 9, 2004, 01:55 PM
thanks for the help, flowbee, will a wireless acess point from say, belkin, still be able to communicate with apple's airport? or does it have to be specific apple wireless base?

Also, which type of network cable to i buy, i mean, I believe there are two kinds?

hvfsl
Jun 9, 2004, 02:20 PM
thanks for the help, flowbee, will a wireless acess point from say, belkin, still be able to communicate with apple's airport? or does it have to be specific apple wireless base?

Also, which type of network cable to i buy, i mean, I believe there are two kinds?

Firstly, any wireless access point should work with a Mac that has an airport hard.

Secondly get at least CAT5 ethernet cable. You want the normal kind (not the crossed).

Flowbee
Jun 9, 2004, 04:07 PM

I use a Netgear wireless router to connect my 2 Macs, a PC, a Tivo, and an Xbox. You don't specifically need Apple's "Airport" base station.