PDA

View Full Version : Large and politically motivated signatures

Wes
Jun 9, 2004, 03:10 PM
Cutting to the chase, is there an option not to view signatures? I'm constantly seeing massive election signatures and it's getting on my nerves.

Political discussions are put in their respective forums this is dragging the debate out into the rest of MR.

edesignuk
Jun 9, 2004, 03:16 PM
Here here!! Get 'em out of my face!

Savage Henry
Jun 9, 2004, 03:17 PM
;)

Everyone is allowed an opinion, although I think some opinions don't have to be so large.

I also think you could have provided a copy of the "Vote Kerry" as well to show that your request is not politically motivated either.

szark
Jun 9, 2004, 03:27 PM
Cutting to the chase, is there an option not to view signatures? I'm constantly seeing massive election signatures and it's getting on my nerves.

User CP -> Edit Options -> Scroll to "Thread Display Options" box -> Uncheck "Show Signatures"

Enjoy! :)

Wes
Jun 9, 2004, 03:28 PM
Great thanks!

brap
Jun 9, 2004, 03:33 PM
User CP -> Edit Options -> Scroll to "Thread Display Options" box -> Uncheck "Show Signatures"

Enjoy! :)

Singatures are on the whole good. Some witty folk out there (as opposed to mine, it's just boring). I don't want to have to hide them all just because a few people want to shout their message from the roof, so to speak.
:(

MacDawg
Jun 9, 2004, 03:42 PM
I suppose it will pass as the election passes... so it is a temporary phenomena, but will probably be replaced by something else equally if not more obnoxious. To me, the political statement is not so bad... it is the LARGE PRINT that glares at you and distracts from everything else.

Wes
Jun 9, 2004, 03:44 PM
Isn't the election this November? Hmm it's going to be a long summer without signatures, which usually contain interesting stuff.

arn
Jun 9, 2004, 03:44 PM
Large/obnoxious sigs are not allowed. Will be edited.

Please report any with the report button.

arn

Wes
Jun 9, 2004, 03:46 PM
Thanks arn! I see you've even edited mine for me ;).

edesignuk
Jun 9, 2004, 03:46 PM
Nice one Arn :cool: :D

Krizoitz
Jun 9, 2004, 04:05 PM
I don't know how feasible this would be, not knowing the details of the forum setup, but maybe it would be possible to limit signatures to the standard size of text. Maybe even make them completely plain text (maybe with links enabled). I suppose it does limit some people who use color and such, so it may not be the best idea, but I think limiting size would be great.

job
Jun 9, 2004, 04:09 PM
I don't know how feasible this would be, not knowing the details of the forum setup, but maybe it would be possible to limit signatures to the standard size of text. Maybe even make them completely plain text (maybe with links enabled). I suppose it does limit some people who use color and such, so it may not be the best idea, but I think limiting size would be great.

Isn't it already limited?

Heh, it's funny, I've turned off sigs and avatars under my options. It makes for a much more enjoyable to browse the forums.

Flowbee
Jun 9, 2004, 04:14 PM

I would go a step further and propose limiting the number of lines of text allowed... to maybe 3 or 4 max. I think since the re-design of the site, the sigs have started getting a little out of control.

Don't get me wrong, I like sigs; I just don't like when they distract from the content of the forum.

gorkonapple
Jun 9, 2004, 04:27 PM
You may want to put a post on the main page stating why they are not allowed and that it is not a politically motivated reason. I personally was able to ignore them, but they WERE annoying and havig to look at that from now to November would be a pain. Also, state ridiculous ones lwith large graphics and will be deleted with impunity.

rainman::|:|
Jun 9, 2004, 05:42 PM
it kind of reminds me of the old terminal days, people's .plan files would get exceptionally long... mine was several thousand lines at one point :eek: but thankfully i got over that. But inevitably, in that case we had to go to a 5 line limit, which sucked. People should be able to keep these things in check, by themselves.

i don't really understand the need for signatures that are more than a couple of lines long...

paul

Mac-Xpert
Jun 10, 2004, 02:58 AM
I'm happy to see those big obnoxious sig's go away. Being a European I don't care at all who vote's for Bush or Kerry. Some of these sig's got to be so big that they took more space than the messages from those individuals.

I'm happy Arn fixed this.

MightyB
Jun 10, 2004, 08:01 AM

arn

Thanks ARN!

keysersoze
Jun 10, 2004, 10:18 AM
it kind of reminds me of the old terminal days, people's .plan files would get exceptionally long... mine was several thousand lines at one point :eek:

AHHH .plans! Those were the days. A friend of mine spent countless hours reading all of her friend's plans daily... it bugged the ever-living !#@$ out of me. Here's to short sigs!

virividox
Jun 10, 2004, 11:12 AM
some sigs are quite funny :) others are retarded

kylos
Jun 10, 2004, 12:42 PM
I have a rather lengthy sig. When mr updated the forums, they put a cap on sig length. I thought my sig took up too much space, but couldn't shrink the font size to make it more reasonable on screen. Asked for a special override to let my sig stay, albeit smaller, so it's not visually distracting. I think a physical size (area) limit might work better to reduce distracting sigs. Probably not a simple matter, though. :)

windowsblowsass
Jun 10, 2004, 12:56 PM
good to see sigs are going to be regulated when i first showed up here last year around wwdc my sig was immediatly requested to be modified and noe i can see why keep up the good work

i hope they remain very polite like this one

Valhalla525
Jun 10, 2004, 03:06 PM
...What I really get a kick out of with political signatures and bumper stickers telling me to "Vote This" or "Vote That" is the entire premise of the thing.

What do these people expect that I'm so mindless that I'm going to say, "Oh, you know, I was a die-hard Nader supporter, but now that I've seen this priceless piece of artwork attached to the bumper of this Buick in front of me, I feel that I must vote for Bush!"

Wouldn't people prefer that others be an educated supporter of their favorite candidate, instead of being swayed by a big, colorful signature with bold lettering?

Beware the power of stupid people in large groups.

Val

Flowbee
Jun 10, 2004, 04:06 PM
What do these people expect that I'm so mindless that I'm going to say, "Oh, you know, I was a die-hard Nader supporter, but now that I've seen this priceless piece of artwork attached to the bumper of this Buick in front of me, I feel that I must vote for Bush!"

Actually, political bumper stickers aren't necessarily meant to change people's minds, but rather to inspire people who already believe the message of the sticker. Seeing the message "Vote Smith" several times a day helps remind people that if they support Smith, they need to go to the polls and vote for her on election day.

Valhalla525
Jun 10, 2004, 04:23 PM
Actually, political bumper stickers aren't necessarily meant to change people's minds, but rather to inspire people who already believe the message of the sticker. Seeing the message "Vote Smith" several times a day helps remind people that if they support Smith, they need to go to the polls and vote for her on election day.

Interesting. I see your point.

Hmm ... would they really be considered "supporters" if they aren't going to actually go to the polls and vote for the candidate...?

Just a thought. Feel free to disregard. :rolleyes:

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 10, 2004, 04:28 PM
This is for the most part a open forum (thanks Arn) though i would like to be able to say in my signature the Republican Party is going backward and far right the fact that Arn doesnt want political signatures is probably the right thing to do to avoid a bunch of fighting,bickering and endless argument. Still think we shouldnt have no parties at the expense of the American Tax Payer. We are getting soaked by both sides. Outlaw those parties and just vote for the man. :D

arn
Jun 10, 2004, 05:19 PM
It's not so much the "Vote Bush" or "Vote Kerry" sigs that are the problem...

it's the bold, 20 point ones... I'm not editing every political sig... but the ones that are "in your face" or otherwise purposefully inflammatory will be edited/removed.

arn

Flickta
Jun 11, 2004, 12:10 AM
Now my sig is an example for all. And I did that myself! How cool I am...

Chip NoVaMac
Jun 11, 2004, 07:46 AM

arn

Sounds like you all will be busy...

Chip NoVaMac
Jun 11, 2004, 07:51 AM
good to see sigs are going to be regulated when i first showed up here last year around wwdc my sig was immediatly requested to be modified and noe i can see why keep up the good work

i hope they remain very polite like this one

A bit much IMO. A bit like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

But then again, maybe we should the regulate "offensive" handles. Oops, looks like you would have to find a new name there buddy.... :)

jesuscandle
Jun 11, 2004, 10:14 AM

There's also the idea that this is just one piece of the puzzle. If I see a tv ad, and then a piece on the news, then I walk by a political rally, then I get a flyer at more door, then I see a forum sig, I start to feel that candidate X "is absolutely everywhere."

And we all know people want to feel like they belong to the winning team. So, as a piece of a much broader puzzle, a forum sig can be useful at actually swaying people to join the team.

pianojoe
Jun 13, 2004, 05:51 PM
Actually, political bumper stickers aren't necessarily meant to change people's minds, but rather to make a point. I learn a lot about a poster from his "Vote for XYZ" signature. It's up to him wether he wants to embarrass himself in public.

Living on a different continent, it's very enlightening to see which political issues are met with concern, and which are taken lightly. This provides a more realistic image than, let's say, CNN Europe's coverage. :rolleyes:

Chip NoVaMac
Jun 13, 2004, 06:24 PM
So what are the "new" final (if any) rules on signatures (and maybe "handles")?

windowsblowsass
Jun 13, 2004, 10:55 PM
So what are the "new" final (if any) rules on signatures (and maybe "handles")?
you better not make convince them to make me chang e my name :D

socbyset
Jun 13, 2004, 11:36 PM
There's also the idea that this is just one piece of the puzzle. If I see a tv ad, and then a piece on the news, then I walk by a political rally, then I get a flyer at more door, then I see a forum sig, I start to feel that candidate X "is absolutely everywhere."

And we all know people want to feel like they belong to the winning team. So, as a piece of a much broader puzzle, a forum sig can be useful at actually swaying people to join the team.

yep.. it is all about the bandwagon effect.. except in the case of obnoxious stuff like the sigs in question one assumes that it could have the opposite effect.

Krizoitz
Jun 14, 2004, 03:13 AM
Still think we shouldnt have no parties at the expense of the American Tax Payer. We are getting soaked by both sides. Outlaw those parties and just vote for the man. :D

I can understand your sentiment, but the first ammendmant protects right to assemble, so the gov't would have a hard time outlawing groups even if they wanted to.

rueyeet
Jun 15, 2004, 03:42 PM
And we all know people want to feel like they belong to the winning team. So, as a piece of a much broader puzzle, a forum sig can be useful at actually swaying people to join the team.I suspect it might have more to do with the propensity human beings have for stating their opinions to all comers, but maybe that's just me. :)

I've seen forums that allow graphics in the signatures, and usually you could reduce a thread from several pages to one just by disabling signatures. It's not that the messages are political, but that they're just so glaringly BIG. As a rule, any sig that takes up more space than your average post is probably too much (yes, I know mine's a bit tall right now, but that's why it's in small print--and we won't go into the length of my posts). :D

Beware the power of stupid people in large groups."No one of us is as dumb as all of us." -- despair.com

Chip NoVaMac
Jun 15, 2004, 06:06 PM
you better not make convince them to make me chang e my name :D

If you want regulation on one side, should it not appear on all sides?

Not that I object, but your handle can be offensive to some. So pick your battles wisely they say. :)

King Cobra
Jun 15, 2004, 07:08 PM
And if you live in/near western Maine, and you're surrounded by rednecks that are the only people available to be hired to do something...Never understimate the willingness of "Mainers" to give up returning phone calls in order to go fishing. In other words: The large groups up here are "Mainers," and they suck, because they are idiots, they don't return your phone calls, they are slow, they don't do jobs correctly (way less correct than the avg. person), they never show up on the day they say they'll show up (the first time) to do a job, and every job that you hire them for spawns months before completion, as supposed to the one week span I'm used to from being in New Jersey. Example: We (the household) ordered a generator in October 2003...it's June 2004, and it still hasn't been hooked up!!! So...absolutely, as Valhalla525 put it...

--
About time we crack down on some of these poltiical signatures...I find them most annoying because they give politically-focused posters an incentive to "catch" the signature by the eye, quote it, and reply to it outside of the Political forums. I would prefer to have 100% of any politically-related discussion/signatures stay in the political forums and have 0% of it leaked out. But I don't see that happening ever.

TimDaddy
Jun 16, 2004, 04:08 AM
Interesting. I see your point.

Hmm ... would they really be considered "supporters" if they aren't going to actually go to the polls and vote for the candidate...?

Just a thought. Feel free to disregard. :rolleyes:

Also, many people may write a candidtate such as Nader off as a nutjob or something. If they drive by their doctor/lawyer/accountant's house and see a Vote Nader sign in the front yard, they may just take another look at him. Maybe not change their mind, but think of them as a serious option instead of just focusing on the party that has trained them to think. I supported a local candidate last year and my family thought I was nuts. I was wearing one of his t-shirts at the doctor's office and my doctor informed me that he, too, is a "Gatewood Man". Most of my family is too lazy to vote, but they quit ragging on the man after they heard that our doctor supported him. My parents even took the time to read about him on the internet, and read his own site, and started speaking favorably about him. If one person's support alone convinces another person to change their mind, that person probably needs help. But, it may cause many people to consider that "basket case" as a viable option upon finding out that someone of a higher degree of intelligence supports them.

Chip NoVaMac
Jun 16, 2004, 02:52 PM
--
About time we crack down on some of these poltiical signatures...I find them most annoying because they give politically-focused posters an incentive to "catch" the signature by the eye, quote it, and reply to it outside of the Political forums. I would prefer to have 100% of any politically-related discussion/signatures stay in the political forums and have 0% of it leaked out. But I don't see that happening ever.

Maybe it is time to crack down on needless profanity too.

themadchemist
Jun 16, 2004, 06:50 PM
A bit much IMO. A bit like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

But then again, maybe we should the regulate "offensive" handles. Oops, looks like you would have to find a new name there buddy.... :)

I agree. windowsblowsass, I am truly offended by your handle. How dare you have the word...the word...I can hardly bring myself to say it...

w-w-windows...I can you have 'windows' in your handle?

Yech!

iBook
Jun 17, 2004, 03:43 PM
I have to say that I don't mind the political signatures -- the legitimate ones anyway. By "legitimate," I mean signatures that include links to real candidates and real organizations.

The one signature that I've objected to includes a link to a bogus Web site supposedly run by a candidate for one of the two major parties. It's supposed to be a parody site, but none of the "jokes" are the least bit plausible, realistic or humorous.

I believe passionately in free speech. I also believe in the responsibility that goes along with free speech.

Make fun of a candidate's stated positions and documented actions. God knows the average politician provides enough material to support a dozen Web sites.

But setting up a URL and printing juvenile, outlandish statements neither advances the democratic process nor entertains. It seems to be the way of much political discourse in these United States: Instead of meaningful dialogue, we get invective and name-calling.

Sun Baked
Jun 17, 2004, 06:27 PM
There is only ONE reason to have a big and annoying signature...

Because it takes people's minds off the fact that the member really doesn't have anything else to say. ;)

sushi
Jun 19, 2004, 11:06 AM
I agree. windowsblowsass, I am truly offended by your handle. How dare you have the word...the word...I can hardly bring myself to say it...

w-w-windows...I can you have 'windows' in your handle?

Yech!
Go get 'em! :D

Personally, I think windowssucksass is more acceptable! :eek:

On a serious note, like windowsblowsass's handle. Good one!

Sushi