PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Mac Mini to HDMI TV

rgarjr
Jul 20, 2009, 10:40 PM
This question is probably floating around this forum.

The mini has mini DVI and mini display outputs to a monitor. What is the best way to go to HDMI to a HDTV? I know for the audio, you need to hook up a 3.5mm to RCA audio jacks or S/PDIF. I think I've read here that on the new minis, the DVI wont fork if you want HDMI.

GoCubsGo
Jul 20, 2009, 10:42 PM
This is what you want.
Mini display to HDMI. (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2) It will not do audio though.

keysersoze
Jul 21, 2009, 08:40 AM
I use Mini-DVI to HDMI to the TV and then an optical cable (w/mini-plug) to my receiver for sound.

It works very well.

Edit: And I have a 2009 Mac Mini

hitekalex
Aug 16, 2009, 03:51 PM
Have you seen this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5969&seq=1&format=2

mpshay
Aug 16, 2009, 05:38 PM
Have you seen this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5969&seq=1&format=2

Now all they need to do is start shipping them.

I've been perfectly happy with mini DVI to HDMI and a separate cable for audio going to the optical audio in on my receiver. Using this same approach on both current & previous gen Minis

RasterScan
Aug 16, 2009, 08:53 PM
It too use a DVI to HDMI converter. Works fine.
Now all they need to do is start shipping them.

I've been perfectly happy with mini DVI to HDMI and a separate cable for audio going to the optical audio in on my receiver. Using this same approach on both current & previous gen Minis

hitekalex
Aug 17, 2009, 12:29 PM
I've been perfectly happy with mini DVI to HDMI and a separate cable for audio going to the optical audio in on my receiver.

Agree this should be fine if you're using a receiver. But there are many TV's with integrated speakers that don't have a discrete Optical-Audio input (as is the case with the original poster).. that's where this Monoprice converter comes handy.

On a slightly different note.. how do you people with Mini's get AC3 passthru via optical audio output? Do you use Plex.. or Quicktime/Frontrow with Perian?

mpshay
Aug 18, 2009, 06:39 PM
I use plex for all my movies. The only thing played through frontrow in our house are kid movies and my 5 year-old could care less about ultimate sound quality

ljonesj
Oct 20, 2009, 01:16 PM
? can you hook up the mini dvi to regular dvi adapter then to hdmi adapter and get it to work i hope to get a mini in the near future

ljonesj
Dec 5, 2009, 10:53 PM
i have my mini hooked up to my hd tv with the mini dvi to dvi then dvi to hdmi adapter and it works gfeat

ljonesj
Dec 5, 2009, 10:54 PM
i have my mini hooked up to my hd tv with the mini dvi to dvi then dvi to hdmi adapter and it works great

some one delete this it double posted

Taguchi
Dec 11, 2009, 09:04 AM
I'm really sorry...I'm new to this forum and can't figure out how to start a new thread. But it is somewhat related to this one...

In the past I used my macbook pro hooked up to my sony DVR via an rca cable and then watched on my Vizio. I was able to record to DVD that way...I watch slingbox on my computer

I now have a mac mini hooked up to my Vizio and I have two problems. 1) I can not seem to hook it directly to my DVDR (like I had my mbp) and 2) in the 1080p mode the slingbox looks strange!

Because the slingbox is not HD quality...I would like to just use the mini DVI to rca adapter I have to go into the DVDR...but when I try it, it does not read the computer.

Samsung TV
Dec 12, 2009, 12:05 PM
I've followed the steps others have listed to hook my MacBook to s Samsung TV. The signal is flowing through because i can see the my Desktop picture on the TV.
Question: How do I make adjustments so dvd's, internet or NetFlix (or any application) will feed through to the TV?

TheZA
Dec 12, 2009, 09:09 PM
I've followed the steps others have listed to hook my MacBook to s Samsung TV. The signal is flowing through because i can see the my Desktop picture on the TV.
Question: How do I make adjustments so dvd's, internet or NetFlix (or any application) will feed through to the TV?

Under displays in system preferences you have to change the mode to "mirror" rather than extended screen.

broad
Dec 13, 2009, 11:13 PM
you dont want to do that though...only in "spanning mode" can you take advantage of the full resolution of both displays

TheZA
Dec 13, 2009, 11:52 PM
you dont want to do that though...only in "spanning mode" can you take advantage of the full resolution of both displays

Spanning mode, is that like extended display? Is that what he is trying to do? I think he is just trying to view his movies and and internet on the TV.

Look, in system preferences, under monitor, if in expanded display, either drag your browser or DVD player to the extreme right or left (depending on how your display preference is configured) to get it to show on the TV. If in mirrored mode, your TV will show what is on your laptop screen.

lonestarsmoker
Dec 14, 2009, 02:48 PM
I don't to hijack this thread but I recently connected by iMac to a TV with partial success. When viewing the computer on the TV the application icons appear on the bottom of the tv screen but the menu bar does not appear on the top. Does anyone have any ideas what might be my problem. I have already set the monitors in the mirror mode.

Thanks
Dan

sahajesh
Dec 21, 2009, 02:07 PM
I don't to hijack this thread but I recently connected by iMac to a TV with partial success. When viewing the computer on the TV the application icons appear on the bottom of the tv screen but the menu bar does not appear on the top. Does anyone have any ideas what might be my problem. I have already set the monitors in the mirror mode.

Thanks
Dan

Hi,

You may have overscan enabled in Display preferences, alternatively check your TV picture settings as you may need to set it to 'Just Scan' or '1:1' as it may be set to '16:9'.

Sahajesh

mdorett
Dec 21, 2009, 08:56 PM
I have just connected my Mac Mini to my LCD TV via HDMI converter, however the quality of picture is quite poor. I also have a PC hooked up to the same TV via a RGB connection and the quality is pretty good.

Does anyone know what the problem can be?

TIA

rgarjr
Dec 21, 2009, 08:58 PM
What kind of HDMI converter do you have? I'm running my 09 Mini with the mini displayport to HDMI and looks great.

mdorett
Dec 21, 2009, 09:31 PM
What kind of HDMI converter do you have? I'm running my 09 Mini with the mini displayport to HDMI and looks great.

Thanks for reply. I am using a brand called Capdase. The cable looks like this:
http://www.hdtvsupply.com/mini-dvi-to-hdmi.html

jincongz
Dec 22, 2009, 05:41 PM
I have just connected my Mac Mini to my LCD TV via HDMI converter, however the quality of picture is quite poor. I also have a PC hooked up to the same TV via a RGB connection and the quality is pretty good.

Does anyone know what the problem can be?

TIA

Are you running at your TV's native resolution?

itsjustmeee
Dec 22, 2009, 08:18 PM
I'm wondering if I can get some advice. For some reason, I'm having a hard time picturing my potential setup if and when I get a mac mini instead of an apple tv. So, I have a sony bravia tv and getting a sony 5.1 surround system with a dvd player in a few days. The output of the surround system will be hooked up with an hdmi cable so I'm all set there. The output of the tv will be hooked up with the optical out and into the the surround. Now comes the part I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around. If I get a mini dvi to hdmi cable for the video out of the mac mini, I'm still trying to figure out how to get 5.1 out of the mini as well. The surround system has 1 Coaxial Audio Digital Input, Optical Audio Input (being used by the tv), and a Digital Media Port (Input). Any ideas as to how I can make this happen?

Man, it sure would be a lot easier if they just would've put an hdmi on the back of the mini!

mdorett
Dec 22, 2009, 08:59 PM
Are you running at your TV's native resolution?

Well there is 1080i which looks ok but the colors are pretty bad. However the fonts are extremely small so I run at 720p which makes the fonts more readable but the colors are still bad.

abclone
Jan 26, 2010, 03:18 PM
This is what i chose to use, it has a digital audio and mini display port to HDMI solution, just ordered it, i will post my experience once I receive it:
http://kanexlive.com/products/item.aspx?id=3495

dekinseattle
Jan 26, 2010, 06:30 PM
this from monoprice.com works like a dream ...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=6331&seq=1&format=2

highly suggest it!!

this runs out of my Mini - an HDMI cable connects it to the Sony 7.1 Receiver with 3 HDMI inputs - sound is great for everything running from the Mini (ie all my handbreak rips that are on the Drobo running on the Mini via Plex) ... I haven't spun an actual DVD in my DVD player in like 3 years now ... everything runs through Handbreak

I use to stream everything via :apple:TV but I upgraded recently to a Mini, Drobo and Plex ... I have a few items still on the iMac thus those are streaming through :apple:TV to watch them but that is so I can sync them to one of my iPods for the gym ...

elek86
Mar 30, 2010, 08:54 AM
This is what i chose to use, it has a digital audio and mini display port to HDMI solution, just ordered it, i will post my experience once I receive it:

please do post your experience you had.

elek86
Mar 30, 2010, 09:01 AM

Guys can you also please clarify if there's bigger loss of video/sound quality when connecting via MiniDVI or DisplayPort?

abclone
Mar 30, 2010, 10:46 PM
Updated link, seems that kanexlive.com link won't come up(as of this posting),
http://www.amazon.com/Kanex-iAdapt-DisplayPort-Channel-Digital/dp/B0031QH1BG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1270006229&sr=8-1

First things first, this is a Mini DisplayPort & Toslink Audio to HDMI Adapter. So if you have an older mac mini, it won't work(Check your specks), for me it works great.
A few caveats:
You must configure the monitor initially with a standard monitor. I plugged it in initially and nothing showed up on the t.v. When i checked the Display settings it was PAL format (in U.S., not the correct format). I had to adjust the settings a bit to get the output to look okay on the tv (using the computer monitor the entire time).
Be sure to set up the Display for everyone username on the computer because if/when you restart the mini, you will have issues with the display outputting a format that won't show up (i used VNC login from my iphone to reset, otherwise you would have to set up the computer monitor again to do this).

Also be sure to change the TV output to the primary monitor before disconnecting the monitor. Once it was set up, it has been great.

Kanex has instructions on its website detailing how to set up the adapter but the part about setting all users adapters output to be the same was not in there ( found that out the hard way everytime I restarted my mac mini, until I decided to try setting it up that way just to see if it would solve the problem).

I don't have surround sound set up for my television, so i cannot comment on the audio other than it sounds fine through my existing system.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
abclone

P.S. I would go with the Mini Display Port as it is capable of higher resolutions

jshand40
Apr 26, 2010, 08:12 AM
Hi, good to see someone else is using the kanex adapter. I find it works great. And have no problems using it also.

saneman1
Jun 22, 2010, 05:54 AM
Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Female Adapter Cable for Apple Macbook, Macbook Pro, iMac, Macbook Air, Mac Mini Laptop
Price: $7.12
www.amazon.com
There is no audio, but I use my RCA DVD Home Theater System that plugs into the audio out and I'am getting 5.1 surround, hurray me! Anyway, good hunting.