Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple of my eye

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Fresno, Ca
As cool as the AE is, slim devices ( http://www.slimdevices.com/ ) has a much cooler wireless network option for playing music ( and full iTunes compatibility as well! ). Their device comes with a remote, display for song info and a beautiful design. It unlike to AE is not a wireless base station however.

Attachments

• homepagegraphic.gif
    homepagegraphic.gif
    29.5 KB · Views: 370
  • remote_small.jpg
    remote_small.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 3,056

Thom_Edwards

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2003
i looked at the site, and i can't find anything stating "full itunes compatibility". i see that it can use the itunes library, but it does not use itunes (the application) in *any* way. also, it mentions it will play aac files, but i couldn't find any statements about drm, itms, etc.. please, if i missed something or read something wrong, correct me.

also, how is this "cooler" than apple's offering? for $70 less, i can also do a printer share and use it as a wireless router for 10 users. the remote is nice, but how close do you have to be to that screen to read the led display?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
yeah and the wired version costs 200 and the wireless costs 280, the Airport Express is better by far because it has more features and is cheaper

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
For me, $280 is a little hard to justify for a device that only streams music (only 802.11b, in fact). At $130, AEx is a portable wirless base-station (802.11g) with printer sharing and audio out (analog and digital). There will be remotes and displays on the market soon enough, for those who need them.

You headline should be: Airport Express is not the *only* answer for WiFi Audio.

denisg

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2004
Newton, MA
doesn't handle Fairplay (DRM) AACs

Apple of my eye said:
As cool as the AE is, slim devices ( http://www.slimdevices.com/ ) has a much cooler wireless network option for playing music ( and full iTunes compatibility as well! ). Their device comes with a remote, display for song info and a beautiful design. It unlike to AE is not a wireless base station however.

SLIMs stuff is good, but it can't handle protected AAC files.

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
denisg said:
SLIMs stuff is good, but it can't handle protected AAC files.

Then what's the point? That makes it useless...

edit: Now that I think about it, my library doesn't have any protected AACs from the iTunes music store. It would be useless, though, if I decided to buy a couple. I want it to be able to play all, not some, of my songs.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Slim's device is too expensive for me, even if it DID handle protected AAC audio.

I wonder how long it might take Belkin or Griffin or someone to design some kind of plug-in USB dongle for AE Express that would be a receiver for a remote control (and, of course, a pass-through USB port so you could still hook up a printer). Kind of like the NaviPod, where the unit plugs into the iPod and you can control it from across the room. This is assuming, of course, that the AE Express provides reciprocal communication with iTunes.....

fozy

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2003
Aspen, CO
Wireless Navigation

The squeezebox apparently provides wireless navigation of the music library which would be very cool but does it provide for itunes streaming allowing for navigation on the itunes host computer?

agentmouthwash

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2003
To each his own...

I would rather have the Airport Express. I already have a stereo system
with optical out and I can't wait to stream music from my powerbook to
that stereo. I don't need a remote because my bluetooth cell phone controls my itunes playlists and volume.

I really don't care about viewing the song titles on that little box. Plus
Airport Express will play my protected AAC files.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
agentmouthwash said:
I would rather have the Airport Express. I already have a stereo system with optical out and I can't wait to stream music from my powerbook to that stereo.

Why would it matter if your stereo had an optical out? That would go to a DAT deck, Minidisc etc. Did you mean optical in?

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
I have just pucrahsed and set up my airtunes and its very very cooL! I also set uo sailing clicker on my PDA (via bluetooth) whoch is very good apart from the fact it uses bluetooth....My Powerbook is in my study, and my lounge is about 20 feet away, and bluetooth just doesnt reach that far! Is there any software that will use WIFI rather than bluetooth? I have searched high and low but there is nothing....well ihope i am wrong of course. Any help would be brilliant.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
marknicholls said:
I have just pucrahsed and set up my airtunes and its very very cooL! I also set uo sailing clicker on my PDA (via bluetooth) whoch is very good apart from the fact it uses bluetooth....My Powerbook is in my study, and my lounge is about 20 feet away, and bluetooth just doesnt reach that far! Is there any software that will use WIFI rather than bluetooth? I have searched high and low but there is nothing....well ihope i am wrong of course. Any help would be brilliant.
Since it's a PB, why not just move it to the lounge??

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
But see, a Laptop is a great reason for having an AE. I'm in a college dorm, and I'd love to be able to eliminate 3 wires that strap my computer down, my printer, my ethernet, and my stereo. Now if only I could get wireless ipod syncing/charging as well as a wireless turbo mouse...
*sigh*

On a completely different note, I'm now opening an "AE for poor college student" fund.

Tyler Z.

Toppa G's

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
The exurbs, MN
Earendil said:
I'm in a college dorm...

A lot of colleges will not allow students to set up any kind of wireless networks in them. Obviously, there are many ways to keep them hidden from the Networking people, but worthy to note anyway.

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
daveL said:
Since it's a PB, why not just move it to the lounge??

I have a study, and i really ccant be bothered to move my laptop into another room every time i want to play some music!

All sorted now anyway, i have been abke to extend the bluetooth range thanks to a 10M USB cable, and now my lounge has 100% bluetooth coverage, so im using a sony PDA as a remote. Its a very cool setup

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
mashinhead said:
i think http://www.sonos.com got it right. i'm gonna have to get one of those. A GREAT idea

Agreed, especially the controller looks very slick. Two problems, though: doesn't play drm-ed files, and you have to use the amplifier built into the "zone player" (as opposed to the much better amplifier you may already have).

agentmouthwash

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2003
I love sitting on my couch surfing the net and listening to music from my powerbook to airport express. I wouldn't want anything else. my powerbook
tells me what song i'm listening to and controls the volume. Why have another box for this?

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
the future said:
Agreed, especially the controller looks very slick. Two problems, though: doesn't play drm-ed files, and you have to use the amplifier built into the "zone player" (as opposed to the much better amplifier you may already have).

looks cool and it sounds like it gets the job done (did i miss anything about protected AAC files?!) notice how the hand held controler emulate an iPod except sideways. i think apple nees to put an airport extreme card into the iPod color then you can have similar controls!!! that or someone should come out with an external wifi atatchement so then older pods could be hooked up as well. im trying to get my 1st gen iPod to hold out long enough for wifi to hit the new pods!

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
TiVo is better than this if you are streaming MP3 -- it can also handle JPEG, though alas AAC is currently not possible.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
the future said:

True, but you can use an speakers of your choice. and each boxe takes not only two speakers but a sub. Its designed to circulate around the house as opposed to be on one location.

PS. what are drm-ed files/

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
mashinhead said:
PS. what are drm-ed files/
DRM stands for "digital rights management" and DRMed files are files which have DRM applied to them which limits their use in some way. Here, we are talking about AAC files with DRM, which is every AAC file bought from the iTunes Music Store (although not ones you rip yourself). DRM AAC files are also known as "protected" AAC files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.