Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hardrock121

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
Alrite, I have searched enough before opening up thi thread, so I humbly request ppl here to assist me in my misery.

All I am trying to do is install windows xp sp3 in boot camp. So I created a partition 32gb. start bootcamp assistant, slipped in the windows xp sp3 cd ( slipstreamed version). So after a days effort installed xp on the the 32 gb partition.

NOw I boot into windows, inserted the mac install disk which has windows support drivers, double click it, it threw error message, windows installer must be updated. Since I dont have any n/w drivers, I download installer 3.1 on another pc, and installed it on this mac. Now when I dbl click the cd drive, it says, Boot camp needs windows xp sp2 or vista. But I have sp3. Searched a while, found that i probably need to install bootcamp 2.1. My laptop is under a month old, still I assumed it has bootcamp 2.0 and downloaded 215mb bcupdatexp.exe file from apple support website. Now when I double click this file, nothing happens at all. No window comes up, it just sits there. I check the processes in task manager it shows up there, but vanishes after 5 -6 secs.

Now I manually installed the drivers for some hardware from the cd, just by dbl clicking the applications files in drivers folder. But some are still missing. Also sometimes on boot up it shows some dlls couldnt be found eg navcpl.dll. Shutdown gets stuck sometimes and starts behaving wierd.

In windows update it found sp2 as an update, that made no sense. So I started installing that, after about 11 min, it throws an error saying I need additional 4 mb of space to install. I have 28 GB free on that partition. It doesnt go any further.

I would highly appreciate if someone can really help me out here.. as I am loosing patience. How am I supposed to solve this issue? How to update the boot camp? How to get the hardware working properly?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

My laptop : Macbook pro 13" , 2.26 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HD.

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
You need SP2 to install XP (then you can update to SP3, afterwards, with boot camp 2.1); I didn't think you could ebven get SP3 to install.

Frankly, I had a perfectly fine XP SP2 running on my iMac then I 'updated' to SP3 (and boot camp 2.1) and had nothing but problems; I ended up deleting XP and installing Windows 7 RC instead. I am now going to wait for Snow Leopard AND Win 7 (commercial release) then do a clean install of both.

But, enough about me.....

My advice to you is to delete the new partition via Leopard, create a new partition, install XP SP2 (create a slipstreamed XP SP2 version with nlite), and enjoy..... skip SP3 totally IMO.

hardrock121

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
i understand i need sp2.. but my understanding is sp3 is inclusive of sp2.... thats why they say...in boot camp install pdf.. that u need sp2 or later.. so technically if i m using sp3... it should have sp2 in it..but somehow i think thats missing...since windows update found sp2 as an update.

Now I finally got to start the sp2 install by doing the registry hack...this way the "additional 4mb space required" error is gone.

I will see what happens after sp2 install is complete..probably thats the reason nothings working as of now... once sp2 installs i ll try installing the boot camp drivers and try again...

I m surprised no one ran into this issue yet??

animaxcg

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
you will want to uninstall all the drivers you installed manually then reinstall them. when sp2 is done installing. i have got around a lot of stuff like this before with windows on mac

hardrock121

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
sp2 installed succesfully and i was able to run the windows support dvd drivers...so things are all good now..except the vollume seems waay to low...the right clk works, the function keys work...

Now on windows update i see sp3 as an option for update...whichagain baffles me..since i created the slipstream with only sp3 on it.. i chkd the version of windows after i installed and it said sp3 .... looks like nlite didnt create the clipstream proplery of something...

Now should i update to sp3 or just take it easy?? any suggestions?

hardrock121

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
no dll errors so things are neat and clean...

only two minor snags....volume too low and tackpad is too sensitive...icant get thru the start button the moment i hit it and start moving my finger it collapses.....there has to be some setting...

hardrock121

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
infact boot camp v2.1 was already installed so only sp3 needs to be installed....tempted to go ahead

hardrock121

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
is it possible to install windows xp on a flash drive and boot windows off it while powering on mac??? anyone has any clue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.