Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Hi,

I just purchased my new Macbook Pro. However I am not too familiar with the OS. I have used macs before but on a very basic level. Ideally I would like to transition majority of my time on Mac OS.

However I still need to use Windows OS because of some particular software that are specific to XP or Vista.

I am trying to make my computer triple boot. Would like to add XP and Vista(maybe switched to 7). Anyone have this set up?

Would like to use Bootcamp but I have notice different versions and never used the program before. Initial setup I have made two separate partitions. I am all new to this so any tips on the best approach would be great.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
You will need three partitions on your hard drive and have an OS installed on each one. Boot Camp assistant will not be able to do this for you.

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Via disk utility I made 3 partition when I installed Mac OS X.

I now have 2 spare partition which I plan to put XP and Vista.

However I am sure what is next. Do I use the same Bootcamp program for both XP and Vista installations?

Any help on the steps would be great.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
First of all, make sure that you make a backup of your Mac OSX partition, because there is a chance something may go terribly wrong.

It should be as simple as popping in the two Windows install disks and telling the installer to install to the Windows partitions.

Keep in mind that you will need to have the Windows partitions formatted in FAT-32 or NTFS (with MacFUSE) before attempting this, and you will have to make a copy of your XP install CD because a default XP install CD doesn't work out of the box.

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
When installing the Windows systems be sure to install them in chronological order, starting with the oldest one. If you do not you may run into boot issues as an older MBR doesn't always play nice with a newer OS.

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Ok. First speed bump.

When I first installed Mac OS, I made 3 partition (via Disk Utility) Mac OS X journaled and the rest MS-DOS.

I just started Bootcamp Assisstant and it says "StartUp Disk Cannot be partition, The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows."

Does this mean I should of NOT partition my HD?

Do I need to reinstall everything and put Mac OS X under one journaled single drive. How will I be able to partition the main drive after?

If anyone can lead me to a step by step tutorial/link it would be very helpful.

Also I notice it talks about installing one MS OS. Will I have a problem installing XP & Vista?

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
I just started Bootcamp Assisstant and it says "StartUp Disk Cannot be partition, The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows."

Does this mean I should of NOT partition my HD?
I answered this already:
You will need three partitions on your hard drive and have an OS installed on each one. Boot Camp assistant will not be able to do this for you.

Do I need to reinstall everything and put Mac OS X under one journaled single drive. How will I be able to partition the main drive after?
GUID supports on the fly partitioning so long as you don't have to move data around. You don't need to reinstall everything.

Also I notice it talks about installing one MS OS. Will I have a problem installing XP & Vista?
No.

oculus42

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2002
Maine
you will have to make a copy of your XP install CD because a default XP install CD doesn't work out of the box.

A Windows XP Install CD that includes Service Pack 2 does work. I have successfully installed XP SP2 under Boot Camp several times.

OatmealRocks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
UPDATE: This should help for XP CDs with NO SERVICE PACK included.

My installation was pretty good with only one hiccup when trying to install SP3 in XP.

Below is the steps of my install.

1) Disk Utility - Deleted other partitions and created one startup disk
2) Bootcamp - Created new partition for XP
3) Inserted XP CD - Mine was only XP w/no service pack
4) Completed Installation
5) Transferred SP3 file (USB Key)
6) Do this in Registry Editor - "If you don't do this. You will get a insufficient memory error" when trying to install SP3
A. Click Start – Run – Type “regedit” and press enter.

B. Navigate to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\Software
\Microsoft
\Windows
\CurrentVersion
\Setup

C. In the right pane, Right-click and select New – String value

D. Name it as “BootDir” and set its value to “C:\”

7. Install SP3
8. Insert MAC OS X CD and Run setup.exe (in windows)

DONE!

Thanks everyone.

razor-sex

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
Manchester
How ever bad people make vista out to be it is safer than xp. I would recommend vista any day. Make the most of your MPD hardware. :apple:

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
I dont like XP but its one stupid software that only works on that platform.

If the apps are not CPU/GPU intensive, you might want to look at virtualization software. Currently there is VMware Fusion, Parallels, and the free Virtualbox from Sun. This might be a nicer alternative since you wouldn't need to reboot every time you needed to access the app.

I'm always in Fusion using various Windows apps like Word and Access, and I keep my small BootCamp partition for the occasional gaming session.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.