PDA

View Full Version : Unibody Macbook Glass Panel Peeling Off

betafrog
Jul 27, 2009, 11:49 AM
Bought my Unibody Macbook last november and recently I noticed that it would no longer close properly, You would close it but it would spring open a few mm's because the magnets would no longer keep the screen closed.

Now today I open my macbook to find that the glass plate at the front of the screen has started to detach itself...

http://img253.yfrog.com/img253/7027/s6s.jpg

Has this happened to anyone else? Haven't rung apple yet but not a happy camper...

Sun Baked
Jul 27, 2009, 11:54 AM
It happens, some of the adhesives on the glass just fail for some reason.

On a VW Golf I used, the fixed rear quarter panel window on the side that always face the sun the adhesive turned gooey and began to fail. Of course for that car the repair was worse than the problem.

NewMacbookPlz
Jul 27, 2009, 01:45 PM
To the local Apple Store with thee!

Joshtee93
Jul 28, 2009, 03:41 AM
I'm having the same issue with my Macbook. Very irritating.
What do apple do about this issue? I mean will they replace the Macbook or what?

Pixellated
Jul 28, 2009, 04:11 AM
Definitely take it to the store, that bit is actually meant to be sealed, so if they have to replace the lid for some reason, they actually replace the whole display. That is definitely not normal.

applebook
Jul 28, 2009, 04:54 AM
I'm having the same issue with my Macbook. Very irritating.
What do apple do about this issue? I mean will they replace the Macbook or what?

I doubt it when some glue will do the trick.

betafrog
Jul 28, 2009, 05:05 AM
I wish there was a local Apple Store for me to bring it into...

Have phoned the local service centre though and it will take 7 working days to repair!!! WTF!! :mad:

betafrog
Jul 28, 2009, 05:06 AM
I doubt it when some glue will do the trick.

Well I've heard before that if you crack the glass you have to replace the entire display so I wonder if this will be similar... Considering the magnets are gone as well I would hope they don't just glue it back in..

andalusia
Jul 28, 2009, 06:35 AM
I wish there was a local Apple Store for me to bring it into...

Have phoned the local service centre though and it will take 7 working days to repair!!! WTF!! :mad:

Man, that's unlucky. Send it off on a Monday so you don't have to wait extra weekends too :D

guneves
Jul 28, 2009, 11:09 AM
That is really bad man!!
I just hope my macbook unibody won't have a similar problem. Have you ever had any impact on your case?

Please let us know how well they solved your problem (how and how long it took).

rjstanford
Jul 28, 2009, 11:14 AM
As far as I can tell, the difference between the shiny and matte screens is that the shiny screen has the extra cover on it (and costs more money). Losing the shiny protector shouldn't hurt anything beyond getting you a matte screen. Of course, YMMV. And yes, they should completely handle it for you.

dutchlady123
Aug 7, 2009, 08:59 PM
Many thanks to ur post. I love it.:eek:

demande simulation pret personnel en ligne (http://simulationpretpersonnel.com) - Pret personnel en ligne et de comparer les meilleurs taux afin de... La demande de prÍt personnelen lignedemande simulation pret personnel en ligne (http://simulationpretpersonnel.com)

Ivan P
Aug 7, 2009, 09:14 PM
As far as I can tell, the difference between the shiny and matte screens is that the shiny screen has the extra cover on it (and costs more money). Losing the shiny protector shouldn't hurt anything beyond getting you a matte screen. Of course, YMMV. And yes, they should completely handle it for you.

As you can see from the photo, it's exposing the internals of the iSight and the ambient light sensor - you can clearly see the parts that Apple doesn't intend you to see in normal use.

guneves
Aug 7, 2009, 11:08 PM
As you can see from the photo, it's exposing the internals of the iSight and the ambient light sensor - you can clearly see the parts that Apple doesn't intend you to see in normal use.

So, you did not call or take your box to Apple yet? No good news?
A friend of mine droped his MacBook Pro last week and broke the hole screen =P He ended up changing it himself. Apple made quote around AUD$1.500,00, so he just bought a screen on eBay for $250,00.

But your case is different. They must fix it for you.
Please let us know about your progress!
Hope you have good news soon :)