PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Europe Tomorrow

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
Jun 14, 2004, 01:16 PM
MSN posts (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5156356/) more confirmation that the iTunes Music Store is coming to Europe tomorrow (June 15th).

The announcement will be made on June 15, said sources familiar with the necessary licensing negotiations between Apple and music labels.

Apple has announced (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/06/20040607071448.shtml) a music press event for tomorrow, and the European iTunes launch has been widely rumored.

clonenode
Jun 14, 2004, 01:18 PM
I wonder if Apple will tie-in a new iPod announcement with this one.

liketom
Jun 14, 2004, 01:18 PM
i'll be there downloading my legal music

DMann
Jun 14, 2004, 01:20 PM
Hopefully, this will have a similar impact
in Europe as it did here!

Gianrico
MSN posts (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5156356/) more confirmation that the iTunes Music Store is coming to Europe tomorrow (June 15th).

Apple has announced (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/06/20040607071448.shtml) a music press event for tomorrow, and the European iTunes launch has been widely rumored.

I's a bad thing to see an european ITMS without all the Europe countries and without a release forecast for the others.

VERY BAD !!!!

dogsbody
I shall also be there downloading my music. As will, hopefully, one of my recent converts from work who I gave a CD with itunes for Win XP on (he has dial-up). He says he stayed up til 2am and ripped his entire CD collection....high praise indeed. Just need to get him to flog his flawed Vaio tower and buy a dual 2.5 now....he already bought a 23" display for the damn Vaio for Chrissakes....what a waste.

nuckinfutz
Jun 14, 2004, 01:22 PM
I's a bad thing to see an european ITMS without all the Europe countries and without a release forecast for the others.

VERY BAD !!!!

So I guess you gave this story a negative then huh ;)

Bring it on Apple. Kock'em down one by one.

Trowaman
Jun 14, 2004, 01:24 PM
I'll say it in advance,

Welcome to wide world of iTunes, Europe!

May I enjoy your European "hits" as you enjoy our American "hits" in this world wide store.

Stike
Jun 14, 2004, 01:24 PM
Saving Taxes?

0.99 € or bust!

Dare to go higher, and you lose...

HenMaster6000
Jun 14, 2004, 01:25 PM
I'm curious. I assume that these localized versions of iTMS will carry the music solely of that country, but do you think it's possible for someone from the US to buy a German song, for instance? Or will iTMS encompass the entire collection? If the former is true, how will apple advertise their massive collection (ie "We have 2,000,000 songs around the world")?

porky
Jun 14, 2004, 01:25 PM
As long I can buy music from Belgium it's ok. Hey, Luxemburg is next to us so... Otherwise I need to drive a little and go to an internet café :)

macridah
Jun 14, 2004, 01:28 PM
I hope there will be other news besides the iTunes launch. I just got use to multiple announcements because last week was apple went crazy a released so many other announcements. Imagine after june 28 ... boy o boy

Veldek
Jun 14, 2004, 01:30 PM
Rumors say the price will be between 1.05 € and 1.19 €. If this includes taxes then this is a good price. At this point I will buy songs.

BakedBeans
Jun 14, 2004, 01:31 PM
So I guess you gave this story a negative then huh ;)

Bring it on Apple. Kock'em down one by one.

knock um down?????

i think not well in the uk at least english are not( unfortunatly) not as honest as the guys in the states, in my opinion IT WILL FLOP

pkradd
Jun 14, 2004, 01:31 PM
The reason for localized stores is simple. Different countires have different taxes, regulations concerning music fees - both for song copyrights, artists royalites as well as label payments. You will only be able to buy from the country you are living in (as long as there is an iTMS there). Since most American artists have their product licensed around the world there should be no problem getting the local version of an album along with artists popular to a particular country. It is a massive undertaking to get this going and Apple should be congratulated for their efforts. Of course not everyone will be satisfied but its a start. You still have the option of buying CDs if you like.

Stike
Jun 14, 2004, 01:32 PM
I'm curious. I assume that these localized versions of iTMS will carry the music solely of that country, but do you think it's possible for someone from the US to buy a German song, for instance? Or will iTMS encompass the entire collection? If the former is true, how will apple advertise their massive collection (ie "We have 2,000,000 songs around the world")?
There is already German music available in iTMS. Just search for "Roy Black" or "Stefanie Hertel" - those are the abominations of German not-so-popular music. (mostly listened to by old people and people who have no taste ;) )
They recently added some German music. But they have a ton still to add. Let´s see how this plays out...

musicpyrite
Jun 14, 2004, 01:33 PM
Muahahah!!! One more step to Apple's world domination!!!!

I hope they have new iPods with this too. :)

RHutch
Jun 14, 2004, 01:34 PM

VERY BAD !!!!

You make it sound like there won't be access to the iTMS for all countries in Europe, but the article doesn't say that. Most countries won't have their own localized version of the store, but they will still have access to the iTMS. It seems better than nothing. Are the other download services in Europe providing localized stores for each country?

Veldek
Jun 14, 2004, 01:35 PM
Hardmac said, though there are only three localized versions, the rest of Europe will have access to a generic English one.

RHutch
Jun 14, 2004, 01:36 PM
knock um down?????

i think not well in the uk at least english are not( unfortunatly) not as honest as the guys in the states, in my opinion IT WILL FLOP

Lots of people have predicted failures for Apple. What makes you so special?

BakedBeans
Jun 14, 2004, 01:38 PM
Lots of people have predicted failures for Apple. What makes you so special?

alot of things make me special rhutch

i hope it takes off but in my opinion it will not

and apple have failed.... lots,

FunkyChicken
Jun 14, 2004, 01:45 PM
And iTMS Canada is coming when Stevie J? :confused:

JDOG_
Jun 14, 2004, 01:46 PM
I think the 100 million mark is just around the corner if they open up the store to the rest of the world (Europe).

I'm excited to see/hear the announcement :)

MacSA
Jun 14, 2004, 01:46 PM
......not a very encouraging story over at Mac World

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=8905

James Craner
Jun 14, 2004, 01:49 PM
I have been looking forward to this for soooo long. Apart from my car I listen to all my music via iTunes or iPod these days. Apple's encoding rate is slightly lower than I normally use, but I think I can live with it. Roll on Tuesday.

BakedBeans

well done for spotting that one

g4cubed
My questions are will it have more european artist or the same venue as the U.S. itunes? And does Canada get one as well?

mrzippy
Jun 14, 2004, 01:52 PM
knock um down?????

Well that does not count me, as at €1.19 a song I would happily part with money - that is around 79p

Then again 99% of my iTunes library is from my own CDs, the odd few are old songs that I only have on tape or LP - I intend to buy these on ITMS when available.

I am still not sure I would buy albums on ITMS, depends on the price as I can buy most chart CDs at £8.99 from www.cd-wow.com with free shipping. I would not pay similar or more for a download compared to a CD, as you get lower quality audio (compared to a CDDA audio) and no artwork or physical CD.

As for singles, or odd old songs I like I would 100% happily buy on ITMS.

FightTheFuture
Jun 14, 2004, 01:53 PM
and apple have failed.... lots,

this all depends on the continuing success of the ipod. if you have an ipod you WANT to use iTunes right? i doubt any pc-ipod owners have said "what, i can't use this with winamp?" so maybe its time for a 4th gen iPod. my fingers are crossed cause i'm gonna be in the market soon! how about a built in 2+ megapixel camera steve? ::wishful thinking::

Jack White
Jun 14, 2004, 01:53 PM
I don't like this whole Tuesday thing. new music comes out here on a Monday, and Apple better update then.

BakedBeans
Jun 14, 2004, 01:54 PM
Well that does not count me, as at €1.19 a song I would happily part with money - that is around 79p

Then again 99% of my iTunes library is from my own CDs, the odd few are old songs that I only have on tape or LP - I intend to buy these on ITMS when available.

I am still not sure I would buy albums on ITMS, depends on the price as I can buy most chart CDs at £8.99 from www.cd-wow.com with free shipping. I would not pay similar or more for a download compared to a CD, as you get lower compressed quality and not artwork or physical CD.

even though you can download them for free???

i like you have most of the music from my own cds, but thats just because i like to have the case and sleeve (plus im good for the cash)

Kalomir
Jun 14, 2004, 01:57 PM
do you think it's possible for someone from the US to buy a German song, for instance? Or will iTMS encompass the entire collection?

Well, do you think it's possible for a European to buy on the US store ?

BakedBeans
Jun 14, 2004, 01:58 PM
this all depends on the continuing success of the ipod. if you have an ipod you WANT to use iTunes right? i doubt any pc-ipod owners have said "what, i can't use this with winamp?" so maybe its time for a 4th gen iPod. my fingers are crossed cause i'm gonna be in the market soon! how about a built in 2+ megapixel camera steve? ::wishful thinking::

yeah ive got my full collection on ipod.... and i use itunes....

im in favour of a 4th gen aswell

Gren
Jun 14, 2004, 01:58 PM
I saw a bus-stop poster advert for the itunes music service today near Morrgate tube.

mrzippy
Jun 14, 2004, 02:00 PM
even though you can download them for free???

i like you have most of the music from my own cds, but thats just because i like to have the case and sleeve

I have never really been into MP3 downloading for free, I am one of the few who don't agree with piracy, if I download an album it is only to see if I like it, and if I do I always buy the original CD (partly as like you I am good for the cash).

I also like to have the case and sleeve, but I suppose it depends how much I like the music ie. I would happily buy a download of a Kylie album on ITMS but I would have to have the CD of the Evanescence album.

If no-one supports good bands, we will end up with no good music is the future.

BakedBeans
Jun 14, 2004, 02:03 PM
I have never really been into MP3 downloading for free, I am one of the few who don't agree with piracy, if I download an album it is only to see if I like it, and if I do I always buy the original CD. Also like you I am good for the cash.

I also like to have the case and sleeve, but I suppose it depends how much I like the music ie. I would happily buy a download of a Kylie album on ITMS but I would have to have the CD of the Evanescence album.

i agree but im not saying that i download for free i was just putting what i think will happen across...and i think depending on how they do it, that it will flop

the best way to support good bands is to buy there cds...and go to there concerts (you cant download that for free)

asif3
Jun 14, 2004, 02:03 PM
Well, do you think it's possible for a European to buy on the US store ?

Sorry, but that has no relevance. Europe doesnt even have a store, so of course we can buy american songs. I personally think Apple will have one big library, but localsied homepages, becuase each country has its own charts, right?

mrzippy
Jun 14, 2004, 02:12 PM
i agree but im not saying that i download for free i was just putting what i think will happen across...and i think depending on how they do it, that it will flop

the best way to support good bands is to buy there cds...and go to there concerts (you cant download that for free)

In a way I think the BPI should step up their fight on piracy via prosecutions like in the US, that would give people the incentive to buy legal downloads.

I DO NOT agree with copy protection on CDs, I listen to music mainly on my Mac in iTunes. Why should I be forced to used a proprietary player and lower quality audio? A good example is BMG releases in the UK that show a red dash next to Mac compatibility - it's a CD for God sake, why should I need to check my computer specification?

Anway I have never found a copy protection that actually works on a Mac, the BMG releases just mount as two disc, one the CD Audio the other is the Windows data track. The red dash must mean, ah it does not affect Macs :)

If recored compaies did not spend what I imagine is millions on trying to copy protect their CDs, they could sell music at lower prices. I personally think most people fell CDs are overpriced, if they were cheaper they would buy legal versions instead of downloading for free.

Anyway I think ITMS Europe has got a good chance, I know several people who will use it as long as the price is right.

dashiel
Jun 14, 2004, 02:12 PM
knock um down?????

i assume you're use of "not not" was an error and you actually meant the english are less honest than americans. just where did you come up with that conclusion?

mmmbop
Jun 14, 2004, 02:18 PM

It could become more public as well, if the MTV dispute with the indies over video use fees was anything to go by:
Media Guardian story (http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,7493,1176976,00.html)

I think MTV backed down in this case.

Hopefully the hold-up won't become the main story and spoil the rest of the publicity.

fartheststar
Jun 14, 2004, 02:39 PM
My questions are will it have more european artist or the same venue as the U.S. itunes? And does Canada get one as well?

Yeah. I am from Canada. The only music service here is Puretracks.com. Sony has a "buy a big mac at McD's" and get a free song. Well the promotion is using Puretracks in Canada which doesn't have Mac Support. Bring on iTunes Canada!

Kalomir
Jun 14, 2004, 02:39 PM
Europe doesnt even have a store, so of course we can buy american songs

I just meant it depends on your credit card location, that's all

dontmatter
Jun 14, 2004, 02:40 PM
Selling itunes music outside the US comes on the same news day as realnetworks selling video content online? While video content is bigger news for advancing technology, etc., I have a feeling apple's news is a heck of a lot bigger on the buisness side. Selling a product that's done wonderfuly in a new market is a heck of a lot better than selling a new product in a form that's not all that practical.

autrefois
Jun 14, 2004, 02:43 PM
There is already German music available in iTMS. Just search for "Roy Black" or "Stefanie Hertel" - those are the abominations of German not-so-popular music. (mostly listened to by old people and people who have no taste ;) )
They recently added some German music. But they have a ton still to add. Let´s see how this plays out...

I'm very glad there is FINALLY going to be iTunes Europe. I wish I were there for the big event...

As for French music, there is only a VERY limited selection on the US store, so I really hope at some point we will be able to download music from any iTunes store in the world.

If this happens tomorrow it would be perfect timing, to correspond with the upcoming Fête de la musique (music festival)! :)

I know rights and royalties make this an unlikely situation, but one can always hope, right?

Kalomir
Jun 14, 2004, 02:44 PM
As for French music, there is only a VERY limited selection on the US store, so I really hope at some point we will be able to download music from any iTunes store in the world.

Depends on the credit card because taxes are different

rog
Jun 14, 2004, 02:50 PM
Why is Apple doing this? Europeans should have to take a vacation to the US like everybody else if they want to access the iTMS. This will promote tourism and help our battered economy. Now they will have no reason whatsoever to come here. This makes me want to jump out my window.

Porchland
Jun 14, 2004, 02:54 PM

Availability of iTMS in a country is NOT the same thing as license to distribute a particular song in that country. I am sure there will be some correlation, but iTMS Spain doesn't mean Spain-based acts; it means iTMS is available in Spain to distribute whatever Apple is licensed to distribute in Spain.

autrefois
Jun 14, 2004, 02:55 PM

Depends on the credit card because taxes are different

I wish my carte bleue were still valid... :(

Neuro
Jun 14, 2004, 03:02 PM
knock um down?????

That's an ever-so-slightly sweeping generalisation. I think most people are quite willing to part with their money, regardless of location, if the product, presentation and quality are good. The Apple offering certainly is, so I'll be using it, probably quite a bit when I can get my iPod mini.

asif3
Jun 14, 2004, 03:03 PM
Does anyone know if this event is going to be streamed or anything?

Veldek
Jun 14, 2004, 03:09 PM
Does anyone know if this event is going to be streamed or anything?

I think we already knew if it was.

diego
Jun 14, 2004, 03:14 PM
I think the 100 million mark is just around the corner if they open up the store to the rest of the world (Europe).

Hmm Europe is NOT the rest of the world, in Mexico and Latin America are a lot of Apple costumers who would be really happy with an iTunes Music Store (including me of course).

asif3
Jun 14, 2004, 03:22 PM
I think we already knew if it was.

Yeah, I was just wondering if they will maybe just post the speech on the site in the afternoon- after all, they did post the US music event from when they announced iTunes for windows.

We shall see in just 14 hours time!

nsb3000
Jun 14, 2004, 03:26 PM

Good for Apple!

The Cheat
Jun 14, 2004, 03:29 PM

Then why are you listening to Kylie Minogue and Evanescence? :confused:

Sorry, but somebody had to say it. :(

The Cheat
Jun 14, 2004, 03:31 PM
Yeah. I am from Canada. The only music service here is Puretracks.com.

Nope. Napster is available in Canada, also. Though, it doesn't support Macs either... :rolleyes:

mrzippy
Jun 14, 2004, 03:34 PM

:rolleyes:

nsb3000
Jun 14, 2004, 03:34 PM

While The EU does contain about 350 Million inhabitants, it is, not "the rest of the world"... :-)

LaMerVipere
Jun 14, 2004, 03:37 PM
New iPods PLEEEEEEEASE! I have money and am ready to spend! :)

LaMerVipere
Jun 14, 2004, 03:40 PM

HAHAHA :p :D :p

I applaud you good sir!

g4cubed
Jun 14, 2004, 03:41 PM
I personally think Apple will have one big library, but localsied homepages, becuase each country has its own charts, right?

That would be great :D

Mtn Tamale
Jun 14, 2004, 03:46 PM
I thought this wasn't a rumor anymore, since Steve said iTunes Europe was launching June 15 at NAB.

wowser
Jun 14, 2004, 03:50 PM
So what will people be buying as their "celebratory purchase"? I think I'll get some Bowie (if that's available)

~Shard~
Jun 14, 2004, 03:59 PM
Good to hear - it's about freakin' time! I appreciate all the difficulties and hoops Apple has had to jump through to make iTMS Eurpoe a reailty, and I'm glad it's finally being announced.

Now give me my iTMS Canada! ;) :cool:

fraggle
Jun 14, 2004, 04:05 PM
Availability of iTMS in a country is NOT the same thing as license to distribute a particular song in that country. I am sure there will be some correlation, but iTMS Spain doesn't mean Spain-based acts; it means iTMS is available in Spain to distribute whatever Apple is licensed to distribute in Spain.

Hmm, as far as I remember there is a rule (at least for "real" goods) that once it has enetered the EU there is no law against importing it in any other EU country. This has occasionally been useful for getting DVDs from the UK that have not been released in Germany... Could this apply to somgs from iTMS, too?

jettredmont
Jun 14, 2004, 04:07 PM
i assume you're use of "not not" was an error and you actually meant the english are less honest than americans. just where did you come up with that conclusion?

Dude, come on. In almost every movie the bad guy has a british accent. It's obvious.

Stike
Jun 14, 2004, 04:14 PM
Hmm, as far as I remember there is a rule (at least for "real" goods) that once it has enetered the EU there is no law against importing it in any other EU country. This has occasionally been useful for getting DVDs from the UK that have not been released in Germany... Could this apply to somgs from iTMS, too?
The EU is a free-trade union. You can im- and export any number of goods without paying custom fees... as far as I know. The company has only to pay the local sales tax... which is very low if Apples Music Store really resides in Luxembourg.
This could be true. I just hope they make the 0.99 cent price point.

spreeblick
Jun 14, 2004, 04:24 PM
1. If Apple really starts its iTunes store tomorrow in Germany as well as in other countries, they have a very hard time behind them, and maybe even ahead of them. German copyright laws are a lot stricter and more complicated than in other countries, and German record company executives are a lot more afraid of losing their distribution control to computer manufacturers than the men in grey of some other countries. Also, there have been very hard negotiations regarding licensing and copyright prices, rumor has it that Apple still is not willing to pay what the GEMA asks for because that would result in a very high price per single song. So negotiations seem to be going on. In fact, I only believe a German iTunes store if I see it tomorrow. And I can easily imagine some people still negotiating while I type.

2. If Apple adds Europe and offers a worldwide catalogue, they have made the impossible possible. I doubt that, even Apple can't do that. :) The fact that Apple could start iTMS in any country at all was based on making the record company executives understand that they (Apple) will stick to one of the most important "old world" record industry principles: Locally restricted (or constrained) content. There will be localized catalogues, I am very sure, and the value, the size of that catalogue will make iTMS successful in Europe - or not.

3. I want a portable WiFi-Mac the size of the Newton MP2100's screen running OS X and a docking station so I can use it as my main computer. I am sick and tired of using Palms and PocketPCs (yes, PocketPCs, they work well with Macs these days but they contain the ugly M-word) and I have no use for an iPod while knowing that there could be so much more in that tiny package.

4. Thanks for listening.

5. Excuse any grammar/spelling mistakes, I am a tourist.

jtquick2001
Jun 14, 2004, 04:27 PM
will there be an international webcast? If so I would think that apple will release something more then just the Eruo-itunes. If you remember when they released the itunes for windows the us got a new version of itunes. I would also hope (and pray) for new hardware. The ipod has the potential to have some cool stuff.

1. The new firewire format
2. color screen
3. 60 to 80 gig hard drive.

just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Soire
Jun 14, 2004, 04:28 PM

Ha! :D

Windowlicker
Jun 14, 2004, 04:30 PM
Saving Taxes?

0.99 € or bust!

Dare to go higher, and you lose...

i really really wish they reach the 0.99€ too. because they WILL lose if it's much higher.

millar876
Jun 14, 2004, 11:43 PM
BBC News 24's buisness section just said

"apple computers is planing a major sake up of internet music downloads today with the release of its iTunes music store in the UK"

and in the UK at least companies have to inform the markets of their activities (ones that may afect share price) beafore the close of markets on the previous trading day.

1.29 euro or 99p, SIGN ME UP 2 MAX OUT MY VISA.

Windowlicker
Jun 15, 2004, 01:59 AM
while this is good news, from my point of view the sentence that claims that the service will come first to UK, France, and Germany isn't that promising. of course it's good for apple to start on the area that has most of the customers, but it would be much nicer for customers in EUROPE (not just in uk, france and germany) if the service launched europe wide right away :P

i've been waiting for this for quite some time and i'm still not getting it!! mrrh!

grigio60
Jun 15, 2004, 03:06 AM
Why is Apple doing this? Europeans should have to take a vacation to the US like everybody else if they want to access the iTMS. This will promote tourism and help our battered economy. Now they will have no reason whatsoever to come here. This makes me want to jump out my window.

Sorry: even if I came to US as a tourist, still I couldn't buy anything on iTMS. For the very plain reason that to do that I'd need a billing account for my credit card located in US. That's killing your argument.

By the way, from Europe right now I *can* access iTMS, I *can* look at Music Videos and Movie Trailers, I *can* listen to previews. The only thing I can't do is buy. I don't need to come to US to do that.

By the way, the way you expressed your idea makes me change my mind about going on vacation to US. I prefer helping "my" European battered economy - my country first. Sorry. :)

Belly-laughs
Jun 15, 2004, 03:28 AM
Sorry: even if I came to US as a tourist, still I couldn't buy anything on iTMS. For the very plain reason that to do that I'd need a billing account for my credit card located in US. That's killing your argument.

By the way, from Europe right now I *can* access iTMS, I *can* look at Music Videos and Movie Trailers, I *can* listen to previews. The only thing I can't do is buy. I don't need to come to US to do that.

By the way, the way you expressed your idea makes me change my mind about going on vacation to US. I prefer helping "my" European battered economy - my country first. Sorry. :)

I think he was having a laugh. :rolleyes:

displaced
Jun 15, 2004, 03:41 AM
I think he was having a laugh. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I thought so to. First laugh of the day -- which is a tough thing to do considering the lousy air conditioning at work's just died...

*drip*

Anyway, looking forward to getting home and buying from the iTMS. I'd try it at work, but iTunes doesn't like the company's web proxy... :(

johngordon
Jun 15, 2004, 03:43 AM

I am still not sure I would buy albums on ITMS, depends on the price as I can buy most chart CDs at £8.99 from www.cd-wow.com with free shipping. I would not pay similar or more for a download compared to a CD, as you get lower quality audio (compared to a CDDA audio) and no artwork or physical CD.

same here pretty much. my credit card is at the ready tho' to buy a whole heap of odd tracks from when i was younger but didn't have the albums - a lot of predictable classics by artists i wouldn't buy whole albums by, or odd tracks from the 80s that i can buy individually without having to buy any of those compilation albums with 70% crap on them.

whole albums are another thing tho for the reasons you say - but i can see me reading reviews of stuff, and maybe downloading odd tracks off albums that sound as tho' i might like them tho' - then maybe go out and buy the cd.

i've tried the whole kazzaa thing, and just got fed up with it to be honest, and since having the PB, itunes and the ipod i've been buying cds like i haven't for many years. i think that while kids will still go down the kazzaa route, i think there's a huge market for people in their 30s and 40s who have the disposable income, who are chomping at the bit for something like ITMS.

Iain

Melle
Jun 15, 2004, 03:46 AM
Am I looking to much into things when I look at the Apple RSS-feed "iTunes 25 Just Added Albums" (edit, link: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wpa/MRSS/justadded/limit=25/rss.xml), and I'm seeing a bunch of Swedish, German and Italian albums (along with a bunch of US) just added?

BTW... Previously, going on holiday to the US *did* enable you to buy tunes from iTMS. All you had to do was buy a gift certificate and come up with a fake US address. Worked for me!

Savage Henry
Jun 15, 2004, 03:49 AM
Barely hours to go and I am buzzing. But I'm so busy at work this will be my only post before I miss the event.

So the last thing I want is for it to be a predictable turn of events with nothing other than the iTMS Euro-style being announced because I don't want to be let down when I eventually find out. iPods g4 would be nice, but I think he'll save that for WWDC.

It's like Christmas ... only much better ... and without the relatives. ;)

MacQuest
Jun 15, 2004, 04:23 AM
11:00am in London is what time in California? :confused:

It's late, I'm tired... and yes, I'm lazy. ;)

TMA
Jun 15, 2004, 04:36 AM
11:00am in London is what time in California? :confused:

It's late, I'm tired... and yes, I'm lazy. ;)

Erm at the time of writing this post... 25 minutes away.

Unfortunatly i'm due at work at 11 so i'll miss the show :(

Jack White
Jun 15, 2004, 04:48 AM
iTunes still shows 'not supported in your country'

Not for long!!

Jack White
Jun 15, 2004, 04:51 AM
the last thing I want is for it to be a predictable turn of events with nothing other than the iTMS Euro-style being announced

Prepare to be disapointed.

johngordon
Jun 15, 2004, 04:59 AM
it might be a huge dissapointment to you guys over in the US, but over here *nothing other* than ITMS Europe is *huge* and great news! :D

and having just bought an iPod i don't there's any need whatsoever for new ones right now...

Iain :D

TMA
Jun 15, 2004, 05:01 AM
It's 11 !!

:) :)

I am now starting to constantly reload itunes and click the iTMS butten :)

Woooohooo come on!

Bakey
Jun 15, 2004, 05:03 AM
It's 11 !!

Woooohooo come on!

Right with ya buddy!! [Just heard the chimes of the office clock finish bang on 11am...]

Jack White
Jun 15, 2004, 05:03 AM
It's 11 !!

Woooohooo come on!

theres probably some guy sitting in front of the 'Activate iTMS Europe' button with his finger poised on it...

martijnvandijk
Jun 15, 2004, 05:05 AM
I've got all the apple stores and all the mac rumors sites open and hitting refresh all the time... :rolleyes:

TMA
Jun 15, 2004, 05:05 AM
theres probably some guy sitting in front of the 'Activate iTMS Europe' button with his finger poised on it...

Think he would be interested in an iTMS gift voucher to help 'speed things along' ? :)

I was supposed to set off for work 5 minutes ago but I'm giving this untill 11:30 to see if I can catch it come online

johngordon
Jun 15, 2004, 05:08 AM
don't do that - it'll only come online the minute you step out the door - you know that!

i'm stuck at work til 4, so hopefully it'll be up by then. just hope they keep it down to 89p....

Iain

TMA
Jun 15, 2004, 05:14 AM
This german site seems to be doing some live coverage:

http://www.macnews.de/

Babelfish translation says:
Soon geht's loosely: Large crush, many press people, some stand. Now music from the Sixties runs. Handys are to be switched off.

Jack White
Jun 15, 2004, 05:18 AM
This german site seems to be doing some live coverage:

http://www.macnews.de/

Babelfish translation says:
Soon geht's loosely: Large crush, many press people, some stand. Now music from the Sixties runs. Handys are to be switched off.
is there an english one anywhere?

TMA
Jun 15, 2004, 05:20 AM

Can't find one, but using http://babelfish.altavista.com/ on that site gives some results.
I think he's just announced it now. Still not live yet though (keeps trying)

Gee4orce

Google translation (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.macnews.de%2F&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools)

Jack White
iTunes Music net curtain comes: As expects: Germany, France and UK!! 62 per cent of the total market for music, 22 per cent global.

TMA
Jun 15, 2004, 05:24 AM
"US price: 99 cent: And in Europe? We wait..."

No we dont wait!! argh!! come on!!

stuBCN75
Jun 15, 2004, 05:29 AM
I am English but now live in Barcelona.

When do you think it will be available in Spain ?

I have a UK bank account and billing address i can use. Can i still shop in the ITMS UK store ?

Does the ITMS know that i am in Spain and not in the UK ?

forgive me if these are stupid questions :-)

Jack White
Jun 15, 2004, 05:30 AM
yay! iMix! looks like we're getting everything the US one is

johngordon
Jun 15, 2004, 05:32 AM
79p!!! result!!

josepho
I English but now live in Barcelona.

I have a UK bank account and billing address i can use. Can i still shop in the ITMS UK store ?

As long as you have a UK billing address I think you'll be okay!

Suerte!

Colonel Panik
UK: 79p, DE: 99c, including taxes...!

yogi477
79p Songs. Yes!

Jack White
79p!!! result!!

:eek: yes please!

jassa
Yessss 79p a song
£7.99 an album

jMc
Jun 15, 2004, 05:33 AM
Woohoo! Poison certificates! :p

jx

ETA: I know - 'gift' is German for 'poison'...

Bakey
Jun 15, 2004, 05:33 AM
I English but now live in Barcelona.

Not a stupid question at all my friend; I would assume you could use the iTMS UK store as iTunes has always stated the need for a US billing address, ie. your not physically in the US but can still purchase due to the funds being in a US bank account/credit card. So with this I would guess the UK store [and the rest] will work in the same manner.

HTH!! [Hope I'm right!!!!]

TMA
Jun 15, 2004, 05:34 AM
Result!

:) :) :)

79p a song £7.99 an album is all good :)

Jack White
Jun 15, 2004, 05:34 AM
wow. those are pretty good prices. not good enough to beat play, cd-wow, but very nice nonethless.

Jack White
Jun 15, 2004, 05:35 AM
At present only in three European Union states: UK, France and Germany. Expansion then probably in the autumn into other countries, one works on it, thus jobs.

danieluk
Jun 15, 2004, 05:38 AM

josepho
Jun 15, 2004, 05:39 AM
Are you guys actually on it??

It still says to me you need a US billing address.... EEK!

stuBCN75
Not a stupid question at all my friend; I would assume you could use the iTMS UK store as iTunes has always stated the need for a US billing address, ie. your not physically in the US but can still purchase due to the funds being in a US bank account/credit card. So with this I would guess the UK store [and the rest] will work in the same manner.

HTH!! [Hope I'm right!!!!]

just launched iTunes and had a look at the store.

:-( no joy !

it says that iTunes is not available in my country. anyway of getting ITMS thinking i am in the UK and not in Spain ?

just downloading iTunes 4.6, see if that makes any difference.

liketom
FANTASTIC NEWS IS THAT is was expecting 99p what time does it go live ????? anyone???

yogi477
Jun 15, 2004, 05:40 AM
It will beat Play at that price for people who don't mind buying online, plus its insttant delivery of course.

danieluk
Jun 15, 2004, 05:40 AM

Colonel Panik
Jun 15, 2004, 05:42 AM
it says that iTunes is not available in my country. anyway of getting ITMS thinking i am in the UK and not in Spain ?

just downloading iTunes 4.6, see if that makes any difference.

If you do manage to convince it that you have a UK billing address, then you'll have to pay the conversion fees for Euro into Pounds. Much better, methinks, to try the FR or DE store.

johngordon
Are you guys actually on it??

It still says to me you need a US billing address.... EEK!

nah - just refreshing that german site - presumably it won't be far off tho'.

79p is a great price. at the end of the day, if you can get a cd for £10-£12 in an independent record store (or even virgin at the moment) they really did have to come in under that, and £7.99 for an album, if it includes new releases, and old stuff that for whatever reason remains at £15-17 in the high street, then thats definitely hitting that sweet spot for me.

Iain

Jack White
Aren't albums at CDWOW £8.49?

79p is a great price point, beats Napster, even with their crappy subscription offer!

yes, but i'd rather pay the extra £1 (they're 8.99) and get the real thing.

TMA
Jun 15, 2004, 05:44 AM
Its online!

no more country error!

Woooo!

now I can go to work! :)

danieluk
Jun 15, 2004, 05:45 AM

stuBCN75
If you do manage to convince it that you have a UK billing address, then you'll have to pay the conversion fees for Euro into Pounds. Much better, methinks, to try the FR or DE store.

i am english but moved here (barcelona) a few months ago. i have a uk account and billing address.

liketom
Why no update to apple.com/uk ??? iTunes Should be all over it by now !!! 12 pm Launch????????????? i hope so my flexable friend is waiting!

TMA
Jun 15, 2004, 05:46 AM
Why no update to apple.com/uk ??? iTunes Should be all over it by now !!! 12 pm Launch????????????? i hope so my flexable friend is waiting!

Try your iTunes - It's there!

danieluk

Jack White
Its online!

no more country error!

Woooo!

now I can go to work! :)

i don't see it??

Jack White
Jun 15, 2004, 05:47 AM
i wish i wasn't at work...i wanna be the first to buy a song (or twenty)

Shagrat
Jun 15, 2004, 05:47 AM
Dude, come on. In almost every movie the bad guy has a british accent. It's obvious.

Ha ha!! So true!

We Brits must all be evil psychopathic megalomaniacs if Hollywood is to be believed!

Oh well, I'm off to destroy every male in the world, excepting myself, so, as far as women are concerned, i WILL be the last man in the world!

THEN i'll see if they still say the same thing that they always do.

Damn.

Jack White
Jun 15, 2004, 05:48 AM
can we visit the French and German versions (to laugh at them)

yogi477
Country Warning still there

TMA
i don't see it??

Try reloading iTunes, then clicking Music Store.. No error for me what so ever, just dives right into the main page with all the recent additions, links, etc..

dogsbody
Jun 15, 2004, 05:50 AM
Looks like the German macnews.de just mentioned mini....either that or I'm misinterpreting it.

cheekyspanky
Jun 15, 2004, 05:51 AM
Im still getting the error now, definitely not working still for me!

danieluk
Jun 15, 2004, 05:52 AM

stuBCN75
Only *just* been announced. Be patient! I can't access yet either...

ah :-) fair enough.

i presumed with all the excitement it must of been up and running.

where are you all getting your news about prices etc.. if the store is not up yet ?

going to pop out for a coffee and sit in the sun for a while.

when i get back i hope get my spending on a few tunes. to be honest more out of curiosity if anything. its a bit of a shame Apple could not get the Indies on board, sounds like they need to give them a better deal. I read some of them were only given the contracts the other day, which sounds a bit tight. Apple need to treat these guys with respect, they account for a big share of the UK music industry. Without them iTMS will be a bit lacking.

Jack White
Try reloading iTunes, then clicking Music Store.. No error for me what so ever, just dives right into the main page with all the recent additions, links, etc..

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!

new pixies song too!!

wooot!!

EDIT: actually, this is just the US site?? everything is in dollas!

danieluk
Jun 15, 2004, 05:53 AM

TMA
Jun 15, 2004, 05:53 AM
Something about it having 50% market share...

Still not workin for me, TMA you lucky sod!

Not so lucky - i'm late for work and don't have time to try it out :( How annoying is that.
Anyway perhaps your itunes is getting a cached version (from your isp perhaps?) Hope it comes online for you soon.

Jack White
Jun 15, 2004, 05:55 AM
i thought i got on, but it was just the US version... :(

Jack White
Jun 15, 2004, 05:55 AM
ah, a nice plug for APex too!!

liketom
Jun 15, 2004, 05:56 AM
gettin error messages unable to load itunes store please try again later

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGG

hardon
Jun 15, 2004, 05:56 AM
Yes its working for me wohoooooooooooooooooooo

danieluk
Jun 15, 2004, 05:57 AM

johngordon
Jun 15, 2004, 05:57 AM
bbc story :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3805565.stm

Iain

jassa
Jun 15, 2004, 05:58 AM
i got on too but found out it was the US version

danieluk

yogi477
No country warning but still US agreement

jMc
After opening up the iTunes ports in my firewall, I no longer get the country message, but am still only able to access the US store... :(

poo.

jx

Montserrat
Jun 15, 2004, 05:59 AM
I knew there was a reason to bring my laptop to work today. ****.

What's the upshot of all this independent label crap? Are they on there?

Are they gonna give away songs like the US store (<<<Cheapo skank) or do we have to wait until we are a year old too?

Any news on the iPod possible release, or will that have to wait until WWDC?

Machead III
Jun 15, 2004, 05:59 AM
Whoa, major lag. My iTunes has been stuck on the loading screen for about 5 mins... oh wait, error 504, I can't connect?!

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!? :D And when is the announcement gonna be made?

Machead III
Jun 15, 2004, 06:00 AM
Apple.com is dowwwwwn.

[EDIT]... and now it's back up again!

johngordon
Jun 15, 2004, 06:01 AM
its like trying to get glastonbury tickets all over again....

Shagrat
Jun 15, 2004, 06:02 AM
After opening up the iTunes ports in my firewall, I no longer get the country message, but am still only able to access the US store... :(

poo.

jx

Haven't touched our firewall. No Country warning, but logging in/create new account still goes to US Site.

Time 12:01

Hit Return...

stuBCN75
Jun 15, 2004, 06:02 AM
bueno.

no joy :-(

have a uk bank account, uk billing address but i live in Spain

it will not let me in. i just get the country warning message.

v. gutted.

how does iTMS know which country i am in ? i presume it must be from your ISP.

hope it comes to spain soon. i may give apple a call, should i not be able to use it. i am british and have the money to spend

cheekyspanky
Jun 15, 2004, 06:03 AM
..was down briefly anyway, I still cant log into the music store

Shagrat
Jun 15, 2004, 06:04 AM
www.apple.com/uk also down

Still up, i'm afraid.

As of 10 seconds ago!

Montserrat
Apple.com is dowwwwwn.

It is? I seem to be able to see it. Same as ever.

I was wondering if they'd change the "Switch" tab to "iTunes and iPod" like it is on the US site. No sign yet...

(I really need to get out more)

yogi477
Just change the billing address to GB when you get the chance then ITS ALIVE!!!

MacQuest
...my flexable friend is waiting!

:eek: You do mean your credit card right?! :eek:

:D

bertagert
Apple.com is dowwwwwn.Still up for me.

Speaking of up...someone wake up Arn and tell him to get the story on the homepage asap!

danieluk

spasm_latg
Jun 15, 2004, 06:05 AM
Scroll down to the bottom of the Music Store page - select UK from the "select store" drop down menu. That should take you there...

Jack White
Jun 15, 2004, 06:07 AM
Apple.com is dowwwwwn.

[EDIT]... and now it's back up again!

apple.com/uk is not showing anything new.

danieluk

CmdrLaForge
99 cents per song and 9.99 Euro per album (in germany) Yippieeee °!!! :D

Stike
Jun 15, 2004, 06:08 AM
German price is 9.99 per album and 99 cent per song!!
AWESOME STEVE!

I knew they would do this :D
GO GO GO

I will gladly support this with every spare cent I have :D

Shagrat
Jun 15, 2004, 06:08 AM
Just change the billing address to GB when you get the chance then ITS ALIVE!!!

Yep, just found this myself.
Go to create account, click on the arrow IF your address is not in US. Select country, and it's there!

79p a song! Wahey!

CmdrLaForge
Jun 15, 2004, 06:09 AM
iTunes Europe only in Germany, France and the UK for the moment. Rest of Europe in October.

Stike
Jun 15, 2004, 06:11 AM
Is the selection the same as before?
Keep me updated :)

abc123
today's top songs:
1. up up and away
Bebel Gilberto

...and that's it

:)

yogi477
This is crap loads of stuff missing on UK store from US, things won't work properly hopefully just cos its busy

jassa
Jun 15, 2004, 06:12 AM
Got my first song

Just bought it

danieluk
Jun 15, 2004, 06:13 AM

CmdrLaForge
Jun 15, 2004, 06:13 AM
Got my first song

Just bought it

Strange. From germany I still get the country warning. Waiting. :D

jrober
Jun 15, 2004, 06:14 AM
As of 12:10 Payment card Processing is down so I cannot sign in fully. Any other users with the same problem?

EDIT (iTunes Error 405 for those who love such things) EDIT

Also form tells me to enter a 3 digit area code for my phone number and complains about my valid postcode being invalid.

Aaaaaaaaaargh so near and yet so far.

steadyeddie
Jun 15, 2004, 06:15 AM
Woohoo! Downloading my first album! Fast too- 1.2MB/sec (university network!).

hardon
Jun 15, 2004, 06:16 AM
yea every time i try to purchase, it asks me too verify my information

i dont think its fully up and running yet!

yogi477
no coldplay, what a load of **** wots going on?

bertagert
I want to see Europe do 500,000 songs in one day. Wouldn't that just blow the shorts off of OD2 and Napster (considering that is all the songs they sold in one year...excluding Napster for most of it of course).

Come on Europeans...spend some Euros!!!

dstorey
any one see the weekly free song? I want to try that one on the usa store but dont see a free link on the uk store anywhere

johnnyjibbs
Jun 15, 2004, 06:18 AM
Just purchased my first song off the UK store! 79p cool!!!

Barry White: My First, Last Everything, if you're interested.

Shagrat
today's top songs:
1. up up and away
Bebel Gilberto

...and that's it

:)

Er considering it has only just opened, then the first song downloaded will be the top song, won't it?

Won't be for long!

Jack White
i'm so buying those Ash exclusives when i get home.

jMc
Jun 15, 2004, 06:19 AM
I'm all signed up! Only trouble is, each time I hit the home button the bloody country warning shows up (tho' clicking OK gets me through to the UK store)... Hopefully just a minor annoyance that they'll soon sort out...

Also, I had to trash my iTunes prefs - I think trying to sign up to the US store once may have messed with things in the past...

jx

yogi477
It wont sell 500 in one day unless they put some more on!

Stike
The track selection is not the same :(

Just try to search for "Opeth"... some idependent metal band from Finland.
You will see that in Germany, you won´t find anything, but in the US store they are there... sucks to be in EU :(

Edit: The free song of the week doesnt work here...

cc bcc
Jun 15, 2004, 06:22 AM
Well, iTMS Europe is a fact, but only for three countries, UK, France and Germany. €0.99 per track. 79 pence in UK

Montserrat
Jun 15, 2004, 06:24 AM
It's up

They've changed the "Switch" Tab to "iTunes + iPod"

Looks exactly like US store now

*Correction - they've ditched Switch altogether

Any news on free song of the week thing? Do we get it over here?

Bakey
Jun 15, 2004, 06:24 AM
no coldplay, what a load of **** wots going on?

A blessing in disguise... total hyped tripe! But by golly, isn't Chris Martin a sweet guy [sarcasm!!]

Fingers crossed the third album bombs... big time!!!

Stike
Jun 15, 2004, 06:28 AM
NOOO the selection frankly sucks!

Look at the pic, and you see what I mean...

danieluk
Jun 15, 2004, 06:29 AM

jMc
A blessing in disguise... total hyped tripe! But by golly, isn't Chris Martin a sweet guy [sarcasm!!]

Despite the fact I agree, I don't think this is the place to take swipes at people's personal music tastes... :cool:

jx

yogi477

Blessing in disguise that one of the worlds biggest bands is missing. They are from the UK but on the US not UK stores what kind of crap is that, how are they supposed to compete with Napster with such crap lineup?

Jack White
Jun 15, 2004, 06:31 AM
looks like the iTunes page
http://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/
will reflect the top 100 songs worldwide. that'll be cool.

I've already seen some songs i wanna buy today, i'll sure they'll add more each week.

Gee4orce
Jun 15, 2004, 06:35 AM
Blessing in disguise that one of the worlds biggest bands is missing. They are from the UK but on the US not UK stores what kind of crap is that, how are they supposed to compete with Napster with such crap lineup?

I think there are teething problems. No way are there 700,000 tracks on the site at the moment. It feels more like 700 ! A movie soundtrack I wanted to buy it present on the US site but not here. Some of the links in the panes on the home page don't work, if you scroll the panes you get blanks, and the free song is not accessible....

belair
I live in Luxembourg.
Cant buy anything.
I live 15 miles from Germnay AND France and I can't take part.
Altough I have got a bankaccount in France.
Will that work?

cheekyspanky
Anyone else notice a new iPod/iTunes ad mentioned as well, on the bottom left of the uk iTunes page, shame im on dial up so it's taking ages to see!

Anyone else seen it? Any good?

danieluk
Jun 15, 2004, 06:38 AM

Montserrat
Looks like they couldn't care less about the Switcher campaign now and want to put all their efforts into iPod/iTunes... I find that a bit sad :(

Not sure - maybe they'll add it to the Apple main bar (a la US website)
I do think they've ditched it. Mind you they are concentrating on making **** hot gear that anyone with any sense would buy.
11 months ago I bought my mac and was the only one I knew with one. Now my girlfriend has an iBook and various friends have bought/are buying/aspire to buy macs. Woohoo!! Let the revolution begin (I hope!)

bertagert
Anyone else notice a new iPod/iTunes ad mentioned as well, on the bottom left of the uk iTunes page, shame im on dial up so it's taking ages to see!

I
t's been played inthe USA about 2000 times over the last month or so. Not new Sorry. Hurry up Euros...get the purchase count to 500k today!

belair
Jun 15, 2004, 06:39 AM
Its just the "old" Wild Postings Ad
Just in case we had not seen it yet. :confused:

Montserrat
Jun 15, 2004, 06:41 AM
NOOO the selection frankly sucks!

Look at the pic, and you see what I mean...

Hey that shows Franz Ferdinand are up. Previous reports about the indie label fiasco said they'd be one of the ones not showing.
Not that I care really, but any other good indie stuff up? I left my mac at home :(

danieluk

takao
anybody from those countries (france,uk,germany) can say something about payment ? i hope not credit card only....

hardon
Jun 15, 2004, 06:43 AM
the store is down again??? according to my iTunes

this is a mess

danieluk
Jun 15, 2004, 06:44 AM

Montserrat

Wild Postings? Yeah it's pretty cool.

Guy listening to iPod on way to work (or anywhere!) Walks past posters of iPod advert and as he does so they start dancing to the music he's listening to (a la original iPod adverts). He pauses the music and looks around, but they all stop when the music stops. Then usual Apple sign and stuff at the end.

Jack White
anybody from those countries (france,uk,germany) can say something about payment ? i hope not credit card only....

yes it is. How else would they do it? cheque?

edit: oh you meant swtich, sorry!

danieluk
Jun 15, 2004, 06:45 AM

belair
Thanks for the reply
I gave up my appartement in Paris last year, I kept my account just in case. No billing adress then.
Damn.

I doubt we will ever get itunes in Luxembourg. We havent got an applestore neither.

I want : www.apple.com/lu "lu" RIGHT NOW :(

JFreak
Hurry up Euros...get the purchase count to 500k today!

pretty difficult because the euro store will be open in october. it is currently only for england, france and germany - not actually itms europe.

we'll wait and see...

rvernout
Jun 15, 2004, 06:47 AM
I live in Luxembourg.
Cant buy anything.
I live 15 miles from Germnay AND France and I can't take part.
Altough I have got a bankaccount in France.
Will that work?

You need either a German, French or UK credit card. I tried to sign up with my Dutch credit card number for the German store, but it says my credit card is not valid in Germany :mad: (I guess what they mean is that my credit card is not a German one; it's perfectly valid in Germany of course!)

Hurry up with the rest of Europe Apple!

jMc
Jun 15, 2004, 06:48 AM
Hey that shows Franz Ferdinand are up. Previous reports about the indie label fiasco said they'd be one of the ones not showing.
Not that I care really, but any other good indie stuff up? I left my mac at home :(

Stike's pic shows the US site... Indie selection is currently *very* poor.

jx

danieluk
Jun 15, 2004, 06:49 AM

Jack White
Jun 15, 2004, 06:51 AM
From the BBC News story;

"OD2 announced an online "penny jukebox" on Monday that lets users listen to a library of songs for one penny per track"

Anyone know much more about this?

it's some software theird party that use Media Player. Microsoft has back um. You buy the song for 79p each then 1p more each time you listen. Good ol' MS. they'll never get it right

Montserrat
Jun 15, 2004, 06:51 AM

jx

Thanks - disappointing, hopefully resolved by the end of the week.

Any news on the free download? Do we get that over here (and what is it this week? ;) )

Stike
Jun 15, 2004, 06:52 AM
You saw the pic?
This is only the top of the iceberg...
if I try to click most albums, or Franz Ferdinand, I get this window:

(translated)
"Your request wasn´t processable.

The article you requested is currently not available at the store."

Yeah, and I get this error on about ... dont know, tons of albums/artists.

And: No wonder Peter Gabriel is missing, he founded OD2...

Stike
Jun 15, 2004, 06:52 AM

jx
No, this is thze german site. It´s not fully localized.

Jack White
Jun 15, 2004, 06:53 AM
search doesn't work for me :(

johngordon
Jun 15, 2004, 06:53 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3805487.stm ?

Iain

Zaty
Jun 15, 2004, 06:54 AM
Hurry up with the rest of Europe Apple!

I wonder if they wait until every country is ready and do one launch for the rest of Europe (whatever that includes) or if they open the store in other countries as soon they can do so.

Montserrat
Jun 15, 2004, 06:55 AM
it's some software theird party that use Media Player. Microsoft has back um. You buy the song for 79p each then 1p more each time you listen. Good ol' MS. they'll never get it right

According to the BBC's little round-up of MP3 options - OD3 or whatever it is called (must admit it's a catchy name ;) ) you stream a song for 1 credit (1 pence) and download it for burning for 100 credits (you work it out!)

Sounds like iTunes is pissing all over the pricing of these inferior services.
Woohoo

BTW it also says that iTunes/iPod doesn't support WMA (why would you want to?) files - I think that was resolved with a WMA to AAC converter in iTunes 4.5

johngordon
Jun 15, 2004, 06:57 AM
i had a look at the OD2 stuff when it launched - it was OK, but the whole credits thing was a pain in the ass - just give it to us straight - 79p a song for example?

Iain

Bakey
Jun 15, 2004, 06:58 AM
Despite the fact I agree, I don't think this is the place to take swipes at people's personal music tastes... :cool:

jx

Very true and I do apologise for the fact, but why on earth has this guy already deemed iTMS "a load of ****" just because it doesn't carry his fave band?

To the other guy just give Apple a break god-dammit, at least we [the UK] have finally gained access to iTMS which is an achievement!! (unlike many of our European cousins)

Jack White
Jun 15, 2004, 06:58 AM
Franz are there, there is the debut album and 2 exclusives.
Ash are also there, i thought they were an indie (Mushroom?)
No free download.

danieluk
Jun 15, 2004, 06:59 AM

takao
Jun 15, 2004, 07:00 AM
yes it is. How else would they do it? cheque?

edit: oh you meant swtich, sorry!

well if apple says "credit card only" then i doubt they have big succes in germany ... if you have a credit card over here then you are a exception (especially as a student)

danieluk
Jun 15, 2004, 07:00 AM

robbieduncan
Jun 15, 2004, 07:02 AM
Yea it was. Wish there was a way to correct misinformed journalists!

You can submit corrections on the BBC site (and they tend to change their text because of them). I have had a couple of stories corrected in the past. Follow the feedback link at the bottom of the page (copy the URL of the story first).

belair
Jun 15, 2004, 07:02 AM
That would be really cool.
A second BIG launch in october where you acces ONE europe itms.
It would be really cool to be able to access all the local bands from each europeen country on one site. Multicultural exchange and ****!

Musical Europe UNITE! :D

Montserrat
Jun 15, 2004, 07:04 AM
[QUOTE=BBC!]The major record labels are keen for industry-backed music stores to launch in Europe to stop pirated tracks being swapped over the internet. [QUOTE]

Hmm that's why they were being so obstructive to Stevo

Sorry to go off at the BBC, I usually have a lot of respect for them, but I won't hear misinformation and ill spoken about Apple, lol

Montserrat
Jun 15, 2004, 07:07 AM
You can submit corrections on the BBC site (and they tend to change their text because of them). I have had a couple of stories corrected in the past. Follow the feedback link at the bottom of the page (copy the URL of the story first).

Damn
I've lost the page. Maybe they read my mind and changed it already.
No, otherwise they would have changed to article to "iTunes - best MP3 player ever - don't bother looking elsewhere, you'll just be disappointed"
I never understood why I got turned down at that BBC journalist interview. :(

danieluk
Jun 15, 2004, 07:08 AM

Stike
Jun 15, 2004, 07:09 AM
Here is a small check of available artists...

Janis Joplin - no
Anne Sofie von Otter - no
Massive Attack - no
R.E.M - no
Phish - no
Christina Milian - no
Black Eyed Peas - no
Counting Crows - no
Yellowcard - no
Britney Spears - no
Franz Ferdinand - no
Celeb Playlists - no
Free Song - no
iTunes Essentials - no

iMix yes, almost empty list ;)
Audiobooks - yes hilariously expensive...
Finding Nemo Soundtrack - yes (9.99 for 40 tracks!!)
Velvet Revolver - yes
Alanis Morissette - yes
Hoobastank - yes
Jay-Z - yes (who wants that?)
Van Halen - yes (1984 remastered has only 2 songs though)
Pixies - yes

... well, not too promising, but I hope this will be fixed soon.
To support this, I will buy my share of songs now, and who knows what happens later.

Zaty
Jun 15, 2004, 07:13 AM
well if apple says "credit card only" then i doubt they have big succes in germany ... if you have a credit card over here then you are a exception (especially as a student)

Well, I don't know about Austria but here in Switzerland it's easy to get a credit card once you've started university, so that shouldn't be a problem for iTMS in Switzerland.

jMc
Jun 15, 2004, 07:14 AM
Franz are there, there is the debut album and 2 exclusives.
Ash are also there, i thought they were an indie (Mushroom?)
No free download.

I cannot find Franz Ferdinand on the UK store... Where are they? They're on Domino I believe, a lable with a huge amount of obscure indie talent...

jx

Shagrat
Jun 15, 2004, 07:18 AM

Janis Joplin - no
Massive Attack - no
R.E.M - no
Phish - no
Christina Milian - no
Black Eyed Peas - no
Counting Crows - no
Yellowcard - no
Britney Spears - no
Franz Ferdinand - no
Celeb Playlists - no
Free Song - no
iTunes Essentials - no

Er, wrong. Britney is there, not much, but there.
Ditto M.Attack
Counting crows are there.
And Yellowcard,
and Black eyed peas...

come on! Use the bloody search button. Jeez, can't anybody use their initiative?

Or try Browsing, lists of stuff.

Jack White
Jun 15, 2004, 07:20 AM

Janis Joplin - no
Massive Attack - no
R.E.M - no
Phish - no
Christina Milian - no
Black Eyed Peas - no
Counting Crows - no
Yellowcard - no
Britney Spears - no
Franz Ferdinand - no
Celeb Playlists - no
Free Song - no
iTunes Essentials - no

iMix yes, almost empty list ;)
Finding Nemo Soundtrack - yes (9.99 for 40 tracks!!)
Velvet Revolver - yes
Alanis Morissette - yes
Hoobastank - yes
Jay-Z - yes (who wants that?)
Van Halen - yes (1984 remastered has only 2 songs though)
Pixies - yes

... well, not too promising, but I hope this will be fixed soon.
To support this, I will buy my share of songs now, and who knows what happens later.

The Uk store has a lot of those that you say no too. Especially Celebrity playlists.

DJY
Jun 15, 2004, 07:21 AM

Good ad
Just watched it!
Congrats to UK, France, and Germany....
but although I can see the ad....

I still don't have any idea if iTMS will ever reach me!!!!!

Come on Apple - what about Australia!!!

yogi477
Jun 15, 2004, 07:21 AM
iTMS has just been on BBC oclock news, Stevie too, good free publicity!

page3
Jun 15, 2004, 07:23 AM

...but only US versions, no UK ones I could see. :(

Stike
Jun 15, 2004, 07:23 AM
Er, wrong. Britney is there, not much, but there.

come on! Use the bloody search button. Jeez, can't anybody use their initiative?

Or try Browsing, lists of stuff.
I don´t use the bloody search button, I click the Top Downloads... and if something doesn´t open there, I expect the artist not to be there!
Think like the average consumer, they won´t like that!

danieluk
Jun 15, 2004, 07:25 AM

Shagrat
Jun 15, 2004, 07:26 AM
I don´t use the bloody search button, I click the Top Downloads... and if something doesn´t open there, I expect the artist not to be there!

Well THINK DIFFERENT!

danieluk
Jun 15, 2004, 07:26 AM

Applespider
Jun 15, 2004, 07:30 AM

You're not necessarily average tho. I work for a very large UK retail website and the split between using navigation and using search is pretty much 50:50
On usability testing, we generally find that if someone can't find something immediately on the home page (tricky with 10K products!), 80% will search rather than assume it's not there. Strangely enough, 10% of those will continue to search even when the item they want isn't there (just changing parameter slightly)

Stike
Jun 15, 2004, 07:30 AM
People, ite getting even better!

I wanted to shop the latest George Michael album, which is previewable in my version of the store.
And when I clicked "add album", I got this requester, telling me (direct quality translation!)

"This product is not in the store for german available"

HAHAHHA THis sucks badly!
I cant even buy the stuff I can review?
Steve, now all you´re getting is my finger...

danieluk
Jun 15, 2004, 07:33 AM

Montserrat
Jun 15, 2004, 07:33 AM
Just wondering...

If you download an AAC file from iTMS, you can convert it to CD Audio for burning, so does that mean you cna convert it to any format? Therefore the whole "you can only listen to it on iPod (which only happens to be the best portable MP3 player in the world)" argument a bit redundent.

(Never bought from iTMS (yet), so don't know if the DRMS stuff gets in the way of my brilliant idea ;) )

jMc
Jun 15, 2004, 07:41 AM
Just wondering...

If you download an AAC file from iTMS, you can convert it to CD Audio for burning, so does that mean you cna convert it to any format? Therefore the whole "you can only listen to it on iPod (which only happens to be the best portable MP3 player in the world)" argument a bit redundent.

(Never bought from iTMS (yet), so don't know if the DRMS stuff gets in the way of my brilliant idea ;) )

Yep, you can burn to CD and then re-rip - but you will lose sound quality...

jx

takao
Jun 15, 2004, 07:46 AM
Well, I don't know about Austria but here in Switzerland it's easy to get a credit card once you've started university, so that shouldn't be a problem for iTMS in Switzerland.

of course it's easy to get one ;)....never doubted that
but as soon as you try to buy something outside of a petrol station and souvenir-shops you're in trouble.....i've never seen anybody buying something with a credit card succesfull in my whole life (except american movies)

i seriously doubt that a lot of people will buy a credit card just because of iTMS