PDA

View Full Version : My iPod video has been powered on for 2 strait years

sn0warmy
Jul 29, 2009, 11:00 PM
So i figured I would post this to see if anyone else has left their iPod on for this long. I have my iPod in my car plugged into my deck at all times. I haven't turned it off in over 2 years. The only time I have taken it out of my car is to update music, which takes 10 minutes, then I plug it back in. I am absolutely amazed that it has lasted this long without dying. It's never even frozen on me.

What amazes me the most is that the battery still works even after being in the car for months of weather being below 30 degrees in the mountains of Colorado.

When I shut my car off after work at the end of each night, the iPod stays on powered on (in sleep mode I suppose) throughout the entire night. A few weeks ago I took it with me on a hike and the battery still lasted over 4 hours and wasn't even close to dying.

I've owned many Apple products. But I have to say that the quality of this 30gb iPod Video is astonishing.

jmann
Jul 29, 2009, 11:03 PM
I loved having that iPod. It was the best looking iPod IMO (unless it gets tarnished by scratches :p), and I hardly ever had any problems with it. Thanks for sharing that's really interesting. :)

littledude8209
Jul 30, 2009, 12:04 AM
HOLY CRAP :eek:

maybe there is hope for apple's batteries.....

LizKat
Jul 30, 2009, 12:17 AM
I have a black 30GB video iPod, it still works great, looks great but it hasn't got anywhere near the frequency of use that yours has. Does that mean mine is good to go for another ten years maybe? :D

I like to use it for TV shows sometimes but mostly I just play audio off it now and then. I heard that iPods like to be used a little, charged a little, used a little, etc. That's about how my 30GB black one gets used and when I do decide to take it for a serious playout, it lasts over 5 hours for audio only, so far.

gatepc
Jul 30, 2009, 12:19 AM
Holly s*** the next time I buy something I am going to have it mailed to you so you can touch it with your holy hands and send it back to me! lol

DoFoT9
Jul 30, 2009, 12:27 AM
^^ lol @ the poster above.... funny stuff

i have a 60GB 5th Gen iPod video, its going so strong.. i havent had it on for years but i use it constantly.. its getting very full though :(

my brothers identical 30gb died (HD died) last week, poor thing. (the ipod, not the brother).

when you say you have had it on for 2 years straight, how do you mean?? surely it hasnt physically been on.. because wouldnt that flatten the battery too much or something?? or do you mean it goes to sleep when your not using it..?

sn0warmy
Jul 30, 2009, 09:46 AM
Holly s*** the next time I buy something I am going to have it mailed to you so you can touch it with your holy hands and send it back to me! lol

haha, well in reality I have had 2 iPod shuffles that died, and 1 iPod nano that also died. And all 3 of those iPods were purchased after the iPod video that is still going strong. And none of those saw anywhere near the same usage.

when you say you have had it on for 2 years straight, how do you mean?? surely it hasnt physically been on.. because wouldnt that flatten the battery too much or something?? or do you mean it goes to sleep when your not using it..?

It's been plugged into my car for the past 2 years (since I bought the car) as my main audio source. I have never taken it out of the car long enough for it to die. When I shut the car off, after like 30 seconds it goes to sleep. Then, when I turn the car back on, it awakens from sleep mode instantly without me touching it. It has done this in inside car temps of 110+ degrees in the summer and -10 degrees in the winter. And it does all this at an altitude of 6,500 feet above sea level (Evergreen, CO).

It spends most of it's time in sleep mode. But it hasn't been powered all the way off, in which the Apple logo should appear on startup, in over 2 years.

I guess I should also mention that the iPod is 4 years old. I got it as a gift in college and used it walking to class and studying in the library for at least a year and a half before I even put it in my car.

Tonight, if I remember, I will take it out of my car and leave it playing music and see how long the battery lasts. But, like I said, I'm pretty sure the battery still lasts 5+ hours which is just......ridiculous.

tobefirst
Jul 30, 2009, 10:35 AM
I used a 5G in my car (just as you have- removing it only to update it) for about 3.5 years before finally replacing it a couple months ago. It began to serve up errors and freeze up. I imagine the hard drive is dying, which really isn't that surprising to me, considering the temperature range it has been through. If I get 3.5 years out of the nano that replaced it, I'll be happy.

dmmcintyre3
Jul 30, 2009, 10:48 AM

How does 683 cycles and 3171/4400 mA/h of the original capacity sound. This battery is from 2004. I use it in my main computer. This is an Apple battery.

Now why has mine lasted this long and my friend's battery from 2008/9 not?
I don't even think he has made it to 200 cycles yet. Lasts nowhere near as long. This is the same model computer too (PowerBook G4 15 inch)

PS: this battery had 400 cycles on it when I got it with the PB G4 in December 2007

malnar
Jul 30, 2009, 05:08 PM

I've got (well, my parents now have) a 4th gen 40gb Ipod still on its original battery, and I just replaced the battery in my wife's 4G 20gb Ipod a couple months back. Until recently, it worked perfectly. Now it works well again.

Did the battery really become such a concern like people thought it would be? I figure 4-5 years on a single battery is a pretty good return on an investment, especially when the replacement cost a whopping $10 and about 15 minutes of my time.

malnar
Jul 30, 2009, 05:09 PM
How does 683 cycles and 3171/4400 mA/h of the original capacity sound. This battery is from 2004. I use it in my main computer. This is an Apple battery.

Now why has mine lasted this long and my friend's battery from 2008/9 not?
I don't even think he has made it to 200 cycles yet. Lasts nowhere near as long. This is the same model computer too (PowerBook G4 15 inch)

PS: this battery had 400 cycles on it when I got it with the PB G4 in December 2007
How do you know how many cycles you have on your batteries?

Dagless
Jul 30, 2009, 07:17 PM
I almost did the same with my iPod video (5.5G). I bought a dock a few years ago and I didn't really take it out for around a year. I had it plugged into my monitor via S-Video and the Line out connected to my amp so it was put to good use. It's only this year that I've really started using the battery again - I'll watch between 30-60 minutes of TV shows on it every night until it drains.

But it still lasts a very long time. I'm getting about 5-6 hours worth of video out of it still. Music just lasts forever, heh. 'Tis a good device.

soLoredd
Jul 31, 2009, 12:44 AM
Pretty impressive. I've been doing the same thing with my 160GB Classic. Hasn't given me any issues at all. I just wish they had a Nano with 160GB on it :D That way I can keep it hidden in my ashtray (I do take my Classic out when I'm parked in public places)

DoFoT9
Jul 31, 2009, 12:52 AM

my dad had 1100 odd cycles on his iBook, the battery conked out at 70% though lol. it was only 2 years old.

It's been plugged into my car for the past 2 years (since I bought the car) as my main audio source. I have never taken it out of the car long enough for it to die. When I shut the car off, after like 30 seconds it goes to sleep. Then, when I turn the car back on, it awakens from sleep mode instantly without me touching it. It has done this in inside car temps of 110+ degrees in the summer and -10 degrees in the winter. And it does all this at an altitude of 6,500 feet above sea level (Evergreen, CO).

well in that case i wouldnt really count it as being used for 2 straight years :rolleyes:.. powered yes ok youve got that, but so has mine.. i have the original 5G iPod video and its going strong too. i would say that i still get 10hours out of it.

either way, i am happy with how long it has lasted, but i am expecting to at least double its life.. otherwise i dont consider it as a useful product.

:sorry for the double post, i had two windows open on the same thread! haha

instaxgirl
Jul 31, 2009, 07:26 AM
either way, i am happy with how long it has lasted, but i am expecting to at least double its life.. otherwise i dont consider it as a useful product.

I have the same attitude, I'm never going to be someone who replaces their mp3 player after 2 years.

Not that there won't be repairs/replacements along the way. My iPod video's headphone jack conked out 2 weeks ago. I've done this repair before on a friend's one so I just ordered the part (5, ebay) and replaced it when the part arrived yesterday. It took maybe 10 minutes :) I missed it ALOT though, an 8GB iPhone is no match for a 30GB iPod in several ways.

DoFoT9
Jul 31, 2009, 08:09 PM
I have the same attitude, I'm never going to be someone who replaces their mp3 player after 2 years.

Not that there won't be repairs/replacements along the way. My iPod video's headphone jack conked out 2 weeks ago. I've done this repair before on a friend's one so I just ordered the part (5, ebay) and replaced it when the part arrived yesterday. It took maybe 10 minutes :) I missed it ALOT though, an 8GB iPhone is no match for a 30GB iPod in several ways.

:D:D totally agree. i havent had to replace any parts on my iPod yet (touch wood), its such high quality that i hope i wont have to for years to come (except maybe for the HD). i have had it in a rubber case the whole time, and it hardly has any scratches and all that (very sticky though lol).

the battery is still even fine!! i dont know how but it just is..

its a little bit on the slow side, verrry laggy especially when i play uncompressed audio (seems to be happening more and more as i get more pedantic lol).. but yea its a great ipod - the new ones dont seem as rigid.

i wasnt aware that you could replace the headphone jack! i shall remember that just incase i accidentally break it! thanks :)

instaxgirl
Aug 1, 2009, 04:00 AM
:D:D totally agree. i havent had to replace any parts on my iPod yet (touch wood), its such high quality that i hope i wont have to for years to come (except maybe for the HD). i have had it in a rubber case the whole time, and it hardly has any scratches and all that (very sticky though lol).

Ha, I kept mine in those iPod socks with a screen protector for the first couple of years. Then last year it flew out my pocket as I ran for the bus, bounced along the pavement, landed on its face and skidded about 3/4 meters.

I've not really bothered with any sort of case since then :o

the battery is still even fine!! i dont know how but it just is..

i wasnt aware that you could replace the headphone jack! i shall remember that just incase i accidentally break it! thanks :)

The battery impresses me too. I had to replace the one in my iPod mini after 3 years because it was completely unusable. The Video's just hit 3 years and is still going strong :)

The headphone jack is, aside from the HD, I think the easiest thing that can break on this iPod. (don't keep your headphones plugged in when you're not using it). You can replace it, but it can be very easy or very difficult. You have to replace both the hold switch and the jack if one stops working and the trick is to buy a part which comes with the plastic hold housing fitted as well.

That way you just slot the new part in and screw it down, buy a replacement part without the housing and you have to take the housing apart to fit the new switch, which won't stay in place and then it all gets very fiddly and frustrating very fast :o