PDA

View Full Version : Authorised Service Centre refuse repair work..

evilseagull
Jul 30, 2009, 03:30 AM
I have a 8 month old late 2008 Aluminium Macbook with the hard drive bracket's screw being fully stripped.
Earlier this year I had the RAM in my macbook upgraded to 4GB in Hong Kong while traveling. Had this done at an Apple Premium Reseller who took my macbook for 3-4 days and installed the RAM.
Recently just came back to New Zealand and tried to upgrade my HD to 500GB HD and I find that the screw holding the bracket in place is fully stripped and the bracket itself looks like someone has taken a knife and tried to cut into it.
I took my Macbook to an authorised service centre in New Zealand but they refused to repair my Macbook. They said that to repair this part I would have to take it to a jeweller myself and have them drill the stripped screw out.
Declining to repair the macbook, I then took it to another authorised service centre which also declined to repair it. They told me I needed to get the 'okay' from Apple before they would try to repair it as a service centre cannot repair stripped screws. I also offered to pay for parts, labour and whatnot to get the machine repaired. Still declined.
This afternoon I called Apple and was told that this issue was not covered under any warranty and that their authorised service centres have the right to decline a repair job if they believe that it would be too risky for them to do so. I was also told to go back to Hong Kong and take it up with the Apple Premium Reseller...but this is not very practical.

I have no idea what else I might be able to do...Please help xD!?

panzer06
Jul 30, 2009, 12:33 PM
snip

They said that to repair this part I would have to take it to a jeweller myself and have them drill the stripped screw out.

snip

I have no idea what else I might be able to do...Please help xD!?

You answer was right there all along. That actually works. A good jeweler/watch repair shop can get that done and it probably wouldn't cost too much.

Cheers,

evilseagull
Jul 30, 2009, 04:16 PM
You answer was right there all along. That actually works. A good jeweler/watch repair shop can get that done and it probably wouldn't cost too much.

Cheers,

How would I get the proper replacement screw though? I asked these guys and they are not willing to order in a pack of replacement screws as:

1. They come in packs of 5 and have no other macbooks requiring parts
2. They are not willing to hand out replacement parts to me

eawmp1
Jul 30, 2009, 04:21 PM
I've found a Google search helpful:http://www.welovemacs.com/9228655.html

miles01110
Jul 30, 2009, 04:31 PM
How would I get the proper replacement screw though? I asked these guys and they are not willing to order in a pack of replacement screws as:

1. They come in packs of 5 and have no other macbooks requiring parts
2. They are not willing to hand out replacement parts to me

You can order screws online, or if you know the size you can walk into a hardware store and buy them (I can't remember what size they are, though).

madog
Jul 30, 2009, 04:33 PM
Check out welovemacs.com. They sell all matter of mac notebook parts and could possibly sell the screws as well.