PDA

View Full Version : Halo for Mac

arn
Jul 13, 2002, 01:58 AM
Bungie announced (http://www.bungie.net/perlbin/blam.pl?file=/site/1/news/stories/halo_for_mac_and_pc_announced.html) that Halo will be coming to the Mac:

Halo will ship next summer courtesy of Gearbox (who are handling the PC version) and Westlake Interactive (who are developing the Mac version). Destineer, the Mac game publisher founded by ex-Bungie guy Peter Tamte, will publish the Mac version under their

irmongoose
Jul 13, 2002, 02:55 AM
At last! Halo! YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

(no I don't have anything else to say. I'm happy. So what?)

irmongoose

Arcady
Jul 13, 2002, 03:04 AM
As posted by Bungie.net
Since announcing Halo in the summer of 1999, people have asked us "When can I play Halo on my PC/Mac?" In the summer of 2000, Microsoft bought Bungie and a lot of people changed the question to "Will I ever play Halo on my PC/Mac?"

And in 2003, the question will change to "Who cares about Halo?"

This game looked great when I played a beta at Macworld 2000, but it is old hat now. In another year, no one will even care.

crassusad44
Jul 13, 2002, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by Arcady

And in 2003, the question will change to "Who cares about Halo?"

This game looked great when I played a beta at Macworld 2000, but it is old hat now. In another year, no one will even care.

And who do we have to thank for that????? :rolleyes:

chewbaccapits
Jul 13, 2002, 04:50 AM
I agree. Who would care? Played it and beat it on X-Box...But is it or will it be a different version than the X console?

Skeem101
Jul 13, 2002, 04:59 AM
Halo was a nice idea when it was first conceived. Cool graphics and what seemed to be nice gameplay and story.

Well, now eons have passed (in computer terminology) since that day and lots and lots of games with cooler graphics and gameplay have been released. Who needs Halo anymore... it's old and using yesterday's technology.

:D :D Maybe Bungie/Microsoft should have a subsidiary called MuseumWare :D :D

lou tsee
Jul 13, 2002, 06:29 AM
looks like M$ needs to bring in some more money on it's bungie accuisition -
with xbox sales being non-profitable and slow sales...

:p

thedude
Jul 13, 2002, 06:48 AM
I just want to make a couple statements:

1. Keep it, it's damaged goods
2. Don't want no sloppy seconds
3. Bungie sold their soul, now they want it back
4. Halo didn't live up to the hype, so I'm glad it didn't come out on the mac first.

No, I wasn't the least bit bitter about Halo...:p

It will probably only run on os9... haha

peterjhill
Jul 13, 2002, 07:00 AM
I disagree with people calling Halo a has-been game. The graphics are better than anything currently out there. The game physics is the best available (do a search for "Halo warthog physics" and watch the quicktime movie, and you will agree.

The PC/Mac version will have an advantage over the console game in that it will almost certainally contain a map editor, and if it does not, someone will hack one together. Internet play will be easer, though I hope that it will support at least two players on one computer.

What Microsoft needs to do (IMHO) is make a USB version of the XBOX controller. Naysay all you want, but it is better than everything else I have looked at.

Right on Bungie! BTW, if you liked Marathon and have a copy of 2 or ?(Infinity), go to source.bungie.org and check out Aleph one. It is port of Marathon to about every platform imaginable.

mmmdreg
Jul 13, 2002, 08:24 AM
nevermind Halo, I want Doom3

blakespot
Jul 13, 2002, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by peterjhill
What Microsoft needs to do (IMHO) is make a USB version of the XBOX controller. Naysay all you want, but it is better than everything else I have looked at.

It may be the best controller out there, but it does not come _near_ the effectiveness of a 3-button mouse / keyboard combo. No controller has been made that beats this combination in FPS's.

blakespot

Pants
Jul 13, 2002, 09:07 AM
I disagree with people calling Halo a has-been game. The graphics are better than anything currently out there. The game physics is the best available (do a search for "Halo warthog physics" and watch the quicktime movie, and you will agree.

The PC/Mac version will have an advantage over the console game in that it will almost certainally contain a map editor, and if it does not, someone will hack one together. Internet play will be easer, though I hope that it will support at least two players on one computer.

Right on Bungie! BTW, if you liked Marathon and have a copy of 2 or ?(Infinity), go to source.bungie.org and check out Aleph one. It is port of Marathon to about every platform imaginable.

disagree all you like, but the fact is the game will be/is old hat by the time it ships. map editor? who will really care? Physics engine? ooh great - but ut 2003 (due out imminently mind - not next summer...) contains THE physics engine...expect patches to utilise more of its features. I really couldnt be more underwhelmed by this announcement - after all the hype apple and bungie gave this game, its purchase by M$ and subsequent restriction to its console left a bitter taste...

Personally, I'd like to see swifter porting of CURRENT games (doom 3 and u /ut2003 as examples) - I fail to see why apple dont give stronger encourgement/help to the bigger games producers to simultaneously ship games. ( a cynic may say that they dont because games are one of the few environments where hardware deficiences really show...)

JtheLemur
Jul 13, 2002, 09:33 AM
I like Halo, but it's true that by the time it is released it will be outdated. That won't stop me from getting it of course - partially on account that I'm selling my Xbox. (not to start a console war here, but MAN, what a lack of decent games...)

I'm SO excited about UT2k3 though!!

-- J

job
Jul 13, 2002, 10:28 AM
I may consider purchasing it, just because it contains some old Marathon legacy stuff, but other than that.....

I am looking forward to Unreal Tournament 2003 though, and Deux Ex 2. (If they ever get ported. :rolleyes: )

Tue12
Jul 13, 2002, 11:20 AM
HALO was such an enormous "ho-hum", I couldn't believe it. It was like "blah", nobody gave a damn after MS bought Bungie.

Doom3 on Mac is what I'm looking forward to next. We need Apple to buy Id. That would really shtick-it to MS. :D

Hey, it's possible. Afterall, iTools is becoming '.Mac'.
:p

dongmin
Jul 13, 2002, 11:44 AM
So is Doom 3 gonna make the cut this year?

My buying a new Mac depends a lot on when Doom 3 and UT 2003 is coming out.

rekras
Jul 13, 2002, 12:30 PM
abooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut
ffffffffffff*********cccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnngggg
tttttiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmme!!!!!!!!!!

there are no good new games out for mac right now...

beatle888
Jul 13, 2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Skeem101

:D :D Maybe Bungie/Microsoft should have a subsidiary called MuseumWare :D :D

yea and we can run it on Apples MuseumHardWare.

Cappy
Jul 13, 2002, 01:39 PM
What I can't figure out is what did they do to it that it still needs further development? From what I recall of interviews and whatnot before the xbox was even out was that it was this close >< to being done. The Mac version was essentially done and the PC was close. Apparently they must have butchered it up for the xbox. <sigh>

I would have to agree that it'll be ho-hum for the most part. The warez folks will probably grab it but sales will likely be minimal unless they add some things in like a map editor and such to make it appealing. The thing that will kill it is if they don't allow typical online play but only allow multiplayer through MS's own service.

beatle888
Jul 13, 2002, 01:48 PM
why are you guys knocking the graphics?
I just checked out the "Halo warthog physics".
it was great. I havent seen a game come
close to that. Anyway, see you later.

Macmaniac
Jul 13, 2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by rekras

I have to correct you, Warcraft 3 is out for the mac and it is very new!!! And it kicks a$$!!!!

rekras
Jul 14, 2002, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Macmaniac

I have to correct you, Warcraft 3 is out for the mac and it is very new!!! And it kicks a$$!!!!

yea i wanna check that game out, if u send me that ill send you black and white...

ThorPrime
Jul 14, 2002, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Cappy
What I can't figure out is what did they do to it that it still needs further development? From what I recall of interviews and whatnot before the xbox was even out was that it was this close >< to being done. The Mac version was essentially done and the PC was close. Apparently they must have butchered it up for the xbox. <sigh>

If you purchased anything from the bungie store recently you would know why. On the Halo DVD that comes with every purchas they talk about how after microsh*t bought them and told them put it on the Xbox, it gave them time to add many new features and do other things with the game that they couldn't have done otherwise.

I agree though, as soon as i read next summer my heart hit low. I love bungie and have supported them for along time. seeing Halo for mac be killed (and coming out in a year is almost as good as killed) truly felt sick.
I just hope Bungie can pull a Harley Davison and purchase themselves back from microsh*t after they drop them along with the Xbox.

Besides, why in the world are they having outside company's port it. It would be faster and probably come out better if they did it in house. I'm sorry, Westlake is good but no one knows the software better than the people who wrote it.

Cappy
Jul 14, 2002, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by ThorPrime

If you purchased anything from the bungie store recently you would know why. On the Halo DVD that comes with every purchas they talk about how after microsh*t bought them and told them put it on the Xbox, it gave them time to add many new features and do other things with the game that they couldn't have done otherwise.

I agree though, as soon as i read next summer my heart hit low. I love bungie and have supported them for along time. seeing Halo for mac be killed (and coming out in a year is almost as good as killed) truly felt sick.
I just hope Bungie can pull a Harley Davison and purchase themselves back from microsh*t after they drop them along with the Xbox.

Besides, why in the world are they having outside company's port it. It would be faster and probably come out better if they did it in house. I'm sorry, Westlake is good but no one knows the software better than the people who wrote it.

Thanks for the info.

As far as who ports it well that sounds like a MS move most definitely. Even with their mega-billions they still keep certain things pretty tight on costs and they're probably trying to keep as much xbox related stuff tight as they can. Sony and consumers are giving them a tougher time than I think they expected.

peterjhill
Jul 14, 2002, 03:44 AM

yea i wanna check that game out, if u send me that ill send you black and white...

Please do not turn Macrumors into a lame h4ck3r site. If you are going to engage in software piracy, please don't do it in front of me, no offense.

peterjhill
Jul 14, 2002, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by Cappy

As far as who ports it well that sounds like a MS move most definitely.

Almost every game that is out for the Mac is done this way. Westlake and MacPlay run very lucrative businesses.

What sucks about the XBOX is that Microsoft makes them use DirectX for all the graphics. Had they used OpenGL, we would be set, and have the game tommorrow. Rememeber what Carrnack said about Quake III at MW expo, they had to change only a couple hundred lines of code to make it work on a Mac.

Hey, maybe Bunge did sell out. Hard to blame them, when they see all that cash and stock. Then you add game exposure. They probably sold more copies of Halo in the first day of sale then all previous software sales. I don't know one person with an Xbox that does not have the game.

About the has been and will have been in 2003 aspects of Halo:
1) that assumes a straight port of the game, that it will look exactly like it does now. Why assume that? I would imagine that they will keep the same story and map that exists on the console, after all they have put alot of time into it. But if they have to rewrite the graphics engine, why not use the latest and greatest? As mentioned above, their best bet will be to write the port in OpenGL. The game is going into development now. I would think that it would be comparable to games in the same cycle.
2) what other FPS lets you hop in a car, have a buddy hop in the passenger seat, and another hop on the back on a high caliber machine gun and let you go drive around reeking havoc? How about having 16 people (on the Xbox) in the same game on a huge map? How about hopping in a Banshee and start flying around and shooting things? Or a tank? Didn't think so.
3) no first person shooter has ever EVER had a story line that was so good. It feels like you are playing a part in a movie. The only thing I would wish for is that they make the PC/Mac versions have darker, more creepy graphics in the alien ships. They won't, but it would be cool.

synergy
Jul 14, 2002, 08:57 AM
If they sell the game for like 30 bucks or less like they did with AvP then I will buy it. If not, then I'll wait for the bargain bin on it if I get bored with Unreal or Doom 3.

Skeem101
Jul 14, 2002, 11:53 AM

As mentioned there is Warcraft 3... buuuuuut how about Medal of Honour, Ice Wind Dale, Diablo 2, Undying, Red Faction... just to name a few?!

:D People... Halo is old worn out news! Accept it and get on with your lives... that goes for you guys at M$/Bungie too! :D

gandalf55
Jul 14, 2002, 03:06 PM
halo rocks. simple as that. agreed halo will have faded a bit by the time it's released. xbox sales are pathetic, the games available are pathetic... eventhough xbox technology is excellent.

sounds like windows people talking about a mac world huh?

screw halo... port a storm of PC games to the mac and i would get more excited than by a single title announcement.

rekras
Jul 14, 2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by gandalf55
halo rocks. simple as that. agreed halo will have faded a bit by the time it's released. xbox sales are pathetic, the games available are pathetic... eventhough xbox technology is excellent.

sounds like windows people talking about a mac world huh?

screw halo... port a storm of PC games to the mac and i would get more excited than by a single title announcement.

nonono.... no screw halo, halo is an incredible game, and it's cooperative multiplayer capibilities are simply not found on the mac right now. We don't have tribes, or counterstrike, or unreal (for X) or anything like that. Also halo takes it a step further by adding vehicles, no "shootemup" game for mac to date allows you to really do anything besides run around. if i were a PC user (which im not) that would be the one point that make me hesitate switching, is there's simply a lack of games for the mac!

jacka55
Jul 14, 2002, 07:08 PM
I don't know how many of you remember Diablo 1, but that was just about the longest wait of any game ever. Yet, by the time it came out, although all the nay-sayers were mumbling and groaning, and the Hip-Hopping up-to-date PC gamers claimed it was dead, it still enjoyed phenomenal success on the Mac. And, also like the old days, when there's a long wait between versions, we (and in this case PC people too) will get a BETTER VERSION. Westlake isn't known for making crap ports that no-one wants. Furthermore, there is quite a large set of PC people who are eagerly waiting for Halo, so it is definitely not worn out, and won't be by the time it comes out. I also happen to work in a warehouse that supplies all the video games for a particular large consumer electronics retailer, and Halo, despite being a year or so old, has be for the most part being one of the games I've been picking larger quantities of. Of course, it's complete dwarfed by the number of GTA3 I've been picking, but that's another story. I hate M$ just as much as the next guy, and this has been a topic I've been preaching about for the past few weeks very loudly about how it's never going to come out, but I'm going to have to say that it's a good thing that it is, because despite being owned by M$, Bungie's team is still pretty much the same, and still is very capable of making games that push the boundaries of quality.

LethalWolfe
Jul 14, 2002, 07:37 PM
Like another poster said, if they sell Halo for $20 or $30 it will sell. If they price it at $50 it's gonna sit on the shelf. With Doom 3 and the next UT games coming out Halo is gonna look old running on it's current engine (anyone know what engine Halo runs on/will run on?).

Halo's fate will also depend on the number of maps it has and number of "games" it has CTF, TDM, Assualt, etc., and the overall playability. People play CS 'cause it's fun, not 'cause it looks pretty anymore ;) But Halo is gonna have an up hill climb. People were hyped about it once (pre-MS buyout), are they gonna get hyped about it again?

Lethal

job
Jul 14, 2002, 09:12 PM

3) no first person shooter has ever EVER had a story line that was so good. It feels like you are playing a part in a movie. The only thing I would wish for is that they make the PC/Mac versions have darker, more creepy graphics in the alien ships. They won't, but it would be cool.

Two simple words : Deus Ex.

And it had a much better story line than Halo. :D

chewbaccapits
Jul 14, 2002, 10:59 PM
Like I said before...Old Hat, but should we support it anyway? I buy games to support Mac...Should we think about our OS? Or are we in unindated with so many MAC games that we can just blow this one by? I know the timing REALLY bites but if we totally ignore it, won't game developers ignore us, MORE! I just don't think its wise to blow it.....What do you guys think...oh, bungie just announce that a DirectX version PAC-MAN will ship in Aug.

macfreek57
Jul 14, 2002, 11:01 PM
the story/setting/graphics still look awesome to me to buy
i hope in a year i can get a computer that will run it... then i'll buy

anyway
can you imagine how huge that would have been if bungie had released it for mac that summer after they demo'd it? they maybe could have warded off the microsoft buyout! and they'd still be making awesome games for mac

sockdoggy
Jul 15, 2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
Like another poster said, if they sell Halo for $20 or $30 it will sell. If they price it at $50 it's gonna sit on the shelf. With Doom 3 and the next UT games coming out Halo is gonna look old running on it's current engine (anyone know what engine Halo runs on/will run on?).

Halo's fate will also depend on the number of maps it has and number of "games" it has CTF, TDM, Assualt, etc., and the overall playability.

Halo runs on the Halo engine. It sounds like a lot of you have not played this game much (or at all), and are bashing it because it's only on the Xbox. Give me a break- this is one of the best FPS ever, and it will sell like hot cakes at any price. The only thing missing from it is a flame thrower. Do you think there will be a better FPS on the Mac before Halo is released?

peterjhill
Jul 15, 2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by sockdoggy
The only thing missing from it is a flame thrower.

I do miss being able to have two shotguns or two pistols. BTW, give me the pistol in Halo against anyone on Quake or Unreal with any other weapon, and watch me school your ass! The pistol on Halo rocks with its "integrated sight" with the helmet that your guy wears. One of the guys I work with is lethal with the pistol. He can run in one direction, while looking sideways, and get a one-hit kill headshot from 100 yards away. It isn't that the game is "easy", he is just damned good.

job
Jul 15, 2002, 02:39 PM

I do miss being able to have two shotguns or two pistols. BTW, give me the pistol in Halo against anyone on Quake or Unreal with any other weapon, and watch me school your ass! The pistol on Halo rocks with its "integrated sight" with the helmet that your guy wears. One of the guys I work with is lethal with the pistol. He can run in one direction, while looking sideways, and get a one-hit kill headshot from 100 yards away. It isn't that the game is "easy", he is just damned good.

How about the InstaGib shock rifle from UT? :D :D

Macrazy
Jul 15, 2002, 04:00 PM
How idiot that Bungie sold the soul to Micro***** Then screwed Halo! I hate Micro*****.