PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone still using a Powerbook G4 12" 1.5 GHz for live shows and music production?

mannaRose
Aug 2, 2009, 02:34 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I'm a musician who has owned two Mac desktop towers for a few years now, and I just recently bought a used, but very good condition, Powerbook G4 12 inch 1.5 GHz from eBay. I need your testimonies and opinions on this laptop. I'm a newb because this is my first laptop. But, let me give you an idea on what I'm trying to achieve here.

I plan to have a small home recording set-up, and take this laptop with me for live shows. I play mainly rock, but would like to incorporate electronica music into my produced songs, and live performances. I plan on getting an Apogee Duet to do all the recording, and Logic Express 8 for the final mixes.

So here goes..

1) Is the Powerbook G4 that I bought strong enough to run music programs for me to mix an entire album? Can this laptop handle today's programs? Or will it slow down a little?

2) Can my Powerbook G4 handle live shows with say, Ableton Live and a few other programs running?

3) What are your experiences with the Powerbook 12" 1.5 when you performed with it live, and when you mixed/recorded songs on it?

I'm still waiting for the laptop to get to me, but I would appreciate your guys' help as this is my first venture into owning and using a laptop. Thanks, guys. Macs forever.

Specs:

Processor Type: PowerPC G4

Product Family: PowerBook

Processor Speed (per Core): 1.5 GHz

Screen Size: 12 inch

Processor Configuration: Single Core

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5, Leopard

Memory (RAM): 1.25 GB

Primary Drive: DVD+/-RW

Hard Drive Capacity: 80 GB

Yours,
Byron

http://www.myspace.com/byronyang

zimv20
Aug 2, 2009, 03:21 PM
i still do work on ibook g4, so i reckon you'll be okay unless you want to go crazy with soft-synths.

rj-300zx
Aug 2, 2009, 10:40 PM
I don't do any live shows and I don't really use anything other than simple recording in my band using Garageband, its still more than enough for that though. I have done a few music videos and it takes a while to encode for some formats but its more than a good enough machine. Its my main machine for just about everything unless I need to do some large amount of editing in which I switch to a desktop tower with Acid Pro.