PDA

View Full Version : Is Now Really a Good Time to Buy a PB G4?


BacktoMac
Jun 16, 2004, 06:08 PM
After having been away for 10 years, I am planning to purchase a Mac. I would like a 15 PB. What I want to know is whether now is really a good time to purchase one? I have been reading all of the posts on when Apple is coming out with a PB G5 and it has only confused me. :confused: I am not in a huge rush so if it makes more sense to wait, I can.

Can anyone help?

jxyama
Jun 16, 2004, 06:20 PM
After having been away for 10 years, I am planning to purchase a Mac. I would like a 15 PB. What I want to know is whether now is really a good time to purchase one? I have been reading all of the posts on when Apple is coming out with a PB G5 and it has only confused me. :confused: I am not in a huge rush so if it makes more sense to wait, I can.

Can anyone help?

i guess you haven't been reading too carefully or something, because there was news a week or so ago from an apple insider talking about (among other things) how G5 PB is not coming any time soon.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74835

considering PBs were just updated and all Al versions are at least on Rev. B, i'd say now is a very good time to get PBs. they are mature and very capable.

BacktoMac
Jun 16, 2004, 06:23 PM
i guess you haven't been reading too carefully or something, because there was news a week or so ago from an apple insider talking about (among other things) how G5 PB is not coming any time soon.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74835

considering they were just updated and all Al PBs are at least on Rev. B, i'd say now is a very good time to get PBs. it's mature and very capable.


Some of my reading was skimming. :o Thanks for your advice.

wide
Jun 16, 2004, 06:25 PM
seeing as how you are not in a rush, i would wait until the next powerbook revision, which will probably take place on or before MWSF 2005.

budaapple
Jun 16, 2004, 06:55 PM
Keep in mind that it takes 5 fans and a created wind tunnel to cool down the g-5 chip. So I think it will definately take some time before we see a g-5 PB. If you are worried about spending the dough and then it being released the 14" Ibook is a nice option, especially since it now comes with a G-4 processor and is quite a bit cheaper and when loaded with ram is quite speedy. Good Luck

jknight8907
Jun 17, 2004, 12:09 PM
I would wait until Steve's Keynote next week, and if nothing relevant comes out, go for it.

jknight8907
Jun 17, 2004, 12:10 PM
err... week after next.