PDA

View Full Version : UK Retailer Offering TomTom Car Kit for Pre-Order

MacRumors
Aug 5, 2009, 12:48 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/05/uk-retailer-offering-tomtom-car-kit-for-£99/)

NaviGadget reports (http://www.navigadget.com/index.php/2009/08/04/tomtom-for-iphone-car-kit) based on several other European sites that UK retailer Handtec is listing the TomTom GPS car mount kit (http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/2126/tomtom-for-iphone-inc-mount) for pre-order at a price of £99 plus tax. While Handtec's product page seems to claim that that the TomTom iPhone application is included in the price, it remains to be seen how the software will be accessed from the App Store after purchase.Interwebs on the other side of Atlantic are talking about TomTom’s iPhone GPS navigation app and the kit that you should get (but optional) with it. It looks like an online seller is already offering both the app and the car kit (not yet in stock) for a total of £113.85 which equals to about $193.MacRumors first received word of this listing on Handtec's site nearly a month ago, but to this point no other retailers appear to have offered up information on the much-anticipated TomTom iPhone solution to confirm or refute Handtec's pricing.

Article Link: UK Retailer Offering TomTom Car Kit for Pre-Order (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/05/uk-retailer-offering-tomtom-car-kit-for-pre-order/)

theITGuy
Aug 5, 2009, 01:00 PM
That $193 rumored price is going to make me think twice about replacing my aging Garmin Unit :eek:

Cheers.

-J.-

Stargaze
Aug 5, 2009, 01:00 PM
good news ?? yes? I am certainly not sure if i am fond of a approx 200+ cost (after taxes etc) everything in... it seems a little hight for the size of the "GPS" in comparison with stand alone options..

I am still waiting to hear "official" word from TomTom before i say NO i will not buy it... hopefully they have a few extras' to make this price worth it (Free map updates / Traffic info)

Off topic:

There is another device by Kensington that makes the same claim that you can get a app for free of the store with the purchase of a device

Kensington Nightstand Dock (http://us.kensington.com/html/17448.html)

on inspection their APP is free for everyone though.. so who knows what process TomTom will use to get the app to you at no cost. (itunes Gift card???)

side note the kensington app is kinda cool dont know if i would want the backlight on constantly tho.. with the brightness control allowing you swipe across the screen

Eso
Aug 5, 2009, 01:01 PM
The car mount could easily come with a promo code for use with the app store.

Diode
Aug 5, 2009, 01:05 PM
good news ?? yes?

There is another device by Kensington that makes the same claim that you can get a app for free of the store with the purchase of a device

thats nightstand "dock / foot"

Yea but anyone can download the Kensington App for free ...

Drumjim85
Aug 5, 2009, 01:05 PM

They can only have so many (50?) promo codes, unless apple is teaming up with them specially.

Blue Fox
Aug 5, 2009, 01:11 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking. Other apps have been doing this for a while now.

ArtOfWarfare
Aug 5, 2009, 01:11 PM
don't these things plug directly into your iPhone?

Maybe the interface they plug in through will cause it to download the app free of charge?

Blue Fox
Aug 5, 2009, 01:16 PM
They can only have so many (50?) promo codes, unless apple is teaming up with them specially.

Not really a promo code, more of a redeeming code. Kind of like how you enter in your iTunes cards codes into iTunes, they'll just code a card specifically for TomTom to redeem the App.

SFStateStudent
Aug 5, 2009, 01:16 PM
That $193 rumored price is going to make me think twice about replacing my aging Garmin Unit :eek: Cheers. -J.-

I guess I should have picked up that banged-up Garmin Unit for $10 at the local flea market.....:eek:

BryanLyle
Aug 5, 2009, 01:23 PM
If this app / car kit costs more than $120, I will pick up a refurbished TomTom 720 instead.

boxstboy
Aug 5, 2009, 01:25 PM
A mount worth that much is going to be a target for thieves, making you carry that around as well, making the all-in-one objective of an iPhone GPS fail badly. I guess I'll take another look at Navigon or maybe just buy the app and a cheap 20 dollar mount.

OS X Dude
Aug 5, 2009, 01:33 PM
A great price! £115 is a good price for a Tom Tom (a decent one I mean).

macduke
Aug 5, 2009, 01:36 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. Other apps have been doing this for a while now.

Only if TomTom expects to sell less than 50 units with the app store limitation of 50 codes per developer (and at $200, that's probably all they WILL sell).

Stargaze
Aug 5, 2009, 01:37 PM
Yea but anyone can download the Kensington App for free ...

i updated my post

macUser2007
Aug 5, 2009, 01:51 PM
A mount worth that much is going to be a target for thieves, making you carry that around as well, making the all-in-one objective of an iPhone GPS fail badly. I guess I'll take another look at Navigon or maybe just buy the app and a cheap 20 dollar mount.

The problem is, in my experience, the GPS chip in the iPhone 3G S is so cr@ppy, that it is borderline unusable for navigation.

On Navigon, it will sometimes lose GPS signal on an open freeway, with clear skies. By the time it regains signal, you've missed your turn... Never had this problem with my old HTC WM6.1 phone.

So, if someone is planning to use the iPhone as a regular navigation device, they'll probably find the TT cradle very valuable.

return7
Aug 5, 2009, 02:18 PM
Supposedly almost $200 bucks USD (including mount). Ouch.

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/08/05/tomtom-for-iphone-pricing-leaked/

crisss1205
Aug 5, 2009, 02:20 PM
That $193 rumored price is going to make me think twice about replacing my aging Garmin Unit :eek:

Cheers.

-J.-
Its not $193. That price is including VAT (England Sales Tax) the US price would equal $160 + TAX (about $188 in New York after tax)

iGary
Aug 5, 2009, 02:21 PM
$200?

Up yours™, TomTom.

ct2k7
Aug 5, 2009, 02:23 PM
A great price! £115 is a good price for a Tom Tom (a decent one I mean).

Not that really, becuase you're still paying for map updates annually.

applehappy
Aug 5, 2009, 02:23 PM
The problem is, in my experience, the GPS chip in the iPhone 3G S is so cr@ppy, that it is borderline unusable for navigation.

On Navigon, it will sometimes lose GPS signal on an open freeway, with clear skies. By the time it regains signal, you've missed your turn... Never had this problem with my old HTC WM6.1 phone.

So, if someone is planning to use the iPhone as a regular navigation device, they'll probably find the TT cradle very valuable.

Totally agree. Plus earlier post about it being attractive to thieves is the same as anything else in your car (gps, whatever).

applehappy
Aug 5, 2009, 02:25 PM
Oh, and COME ON TOMTOM! Get it out or give an update or something. I'm on an airplane in 10 days and want my TomTom app and dock along with me!

Rayfire
Aug 5, 2009, 02:30 PM
Still waiting for it to be official... as it says it's TBC

afurry13
Aug 5, 2009, 02:32 PM
In other news, "Webster's Dictionary" has changed it's definition of rip off to read "TomTom"

Ridiculous

Blue Fox
Aug 5, 2009, 02:39 PM
Only if TomTom expects to sell less than 50 units with the app store limitation of 50 codes per developer (and at $200, that's probably all they WILL sell).

If I remember correctly, the 50-code limitation was for "promo codes", I'm sure there's another way to get a "redemption code" for Apps....especially for companies releasing specific iPhone Accessories

aawil
Aug 5, 2009, 02:39 PM
It's quite ridiculous if it turns out to be the case.

ddrueckhammer
Aug 5, 2009, 02:44 PM
In other news, "Webster's Dictionary" has changed it's definition of rip off to read "TomTom"

Ridiculous

No kidding. $70 for software plus $50 for the mount is all that this should cost considering you can get plenty of stand-alone GPS units for under $200.

Also, having a mount that probably doesn't accommodate cases is lame. Hopefully, they will at least sell mounts and software separately so if the software only turns out to be better than Navigon you can have the option of getting a mount later if you want... I bet they will sell the software only for $99-$120, $199 for a software/hardware bundle, and won't sell you the hardware only. If that is the case, it is going to be very hard for me to justify going with TomTom no matter how good it is.

neil1980
Aug 5, 2009, 02:56 PM
Yeah, Id have guessed in the region of £100.

When you think how much it costs for WM and then how much a genuine tomtom car mount is its probably about the same.

The one thing that worries me is that if you was driving and received a call on WM the turn by turn continued with just the voice on mute so you could still see where you were going.... how will the iphone handle this?

If it stops showing you where your meant to be heading then they have lost a sale here and I dont think they can afford to loose too many people given the high price point for this

Randman
Aug 5, 2009, 02:58 PM
I spent $70 on Navigon and am quite happy.

mortfe
Aug 5, 2009, 03:02 PM
$193 seems like a lot of money. You can buy a dedicated GPS, much bigger. I got tired of waiting & paid $239 for a 800 series Garmin w/bluetooth. Also, you will probably pay tax & shipping, another $25.

curly14
Aug 5, 2009, 03:07 PM
Supposedly almost $200 bucks USD (including mount). Ouch.

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/08/05/tomtom-for-iphone-pricing-leaked/

The app alone will be in the $100 range but when launched it will be $ ? I don' t want to spoil the fun considering I have a good source closed to the project but let's just say it will be a party of 4 for Jackson that's Andrew Jackson;)

Kadman
Aug 5, 2009, 03:11 PM
Not that really, becuase you're still paying for map updates annually.

...or just $95 for Lifetime map updates.

If the rumors are true, the TomTom solution is dead even before it gets out of the starting blocks.

ct2k7
Aug 5, 2009, 03:36 PM
...or just $95 for Lifetime map updates.

If the rumors are true, the TomTom solution is dead even before it gets out of the starting blocks.

I'm choking on that one.. my card doesn't want to be raped.....

Skystar
Aug 5, 2009, 03:41 PM
Navigon + $20 vent mount at Target FTW!

Spanky Deluxe
Aug 5, 2009, 04:27 PM
How does this work when you get a phone call? To be honest, I'd be more interested in Tom Tom releasing a cheap app that can pipe data through to existing data enable TomToms. We've got a Go 720 but can't use the traffic feature anymore since we both got iPhones.

ff11
Aug 5, 2009, 04:45 PM
Rumored advantages that may factor into the price are

1- It is supposed to boost GPS reception (it has a built in GPS receiver)
2- It can handle calls like a bluetooth speakerphone
3- It can tap into addresses in your contact list

no word on if it gives you live traffic information

http://gpsobsessed.com/more-details-about-tomtoms-iphone-car-kit-emerge/

bigandy
Aug 5, 2009, 04:53 PM
$200?

Up yours™, TomTom.

Just what I was thinking. :)

kj6tk
Aug 5, 2009, 08:00 PM
Looks like it we can't use the Tom Tom car mount in California.

GPS must be mounted within "a 7-inch square area in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver (the passenger side) or in a 5-inch square area in the lower corner of the windshield nearest to the driver (the lower left corner of the windshield)." The profile of the iPhone is larger than 5 inchs so it can't be mounted on the drivers side and would just fit on the passenger side.

If you use it on the drivers side its a $108 fine for a "obstructed windshield" violation.

ct2k7
Aug 5, 2009, 08:05 PM
Looks like it we can't use the Tom Tom car mount in California.

GPS must be mounted within "a 7-inch square area in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver (the passenger side) or in a 5-inch square area in the lower corner of the windshield nearest to the driver (the lower left corner of the windshield)." The profile of the iPhone is larger than 5 inchs so it can't be mounted on the drivers side and would just fit on the passenger side.

If you use it on the drivers side its a $108 fine for a "obstructed windshield" violation.

that's not exactly what's meant to happen here... :/ bad luck

Full of Win
Aug 5, 2009, 09:31 PM
Is it not the case that the price that the Tommies pay does not have a direct relationship to what we pay in the United States? I'm guessing it will be 149.99 for the kit and 99.99 for the software only....but with the US Dollar index as low as it is now, I'd hate to hazard a guess.

TroyBoy30
Aug 5, 2009, 09:47 PM
no thanks. got a garmin zuma 550 already

ct2k7
Aug 5, 2009, 10:07 PM
Is it not the case that the price that the Tommies pay does not have a direct relationship to what we pay in the United States? I'm guessing it will be 149.99 for the kit and 99.99 for the software only....but with the US Dollar index as low as it is now, I'd hate to hazard a guess.

They don't have a direct relationship.

Pricing is evil though.

eastercat
Aug 5, 2009, 11:18 PM
I'm not surprised by the price. When I was reading other threads and people were posting that they would only pay $75, I thought it was a bit unrealistic.
The price may go down if TomTom doesn't get the sales they're hoping for. Then again, they may offer features that makes their price tag seem like a (relative) bargain.

applehappy
Aug 5, 2009, 11:48 PM
I think there are some dreamers in here. There is no reason the app will cost more than navigon, but the car mount is going to be big bucks compared to others. It's a pretty complex piece really, consider what a bluetooth handsfree device costs, then a line out for Iphone to aux in, then a charger for iPhone, then a standalone GPS receiver (plus maybe other enhancements, like gyro). This is NOT a $20 - $30 car mount. I'm thinking it will cost close to what the app costs. :eek: Those looking for the norm can buy just TOMTOM app for a competitive price I'm sure.

speed12
Aug 6, 2009, 12:28 AM
Absolutely, I personally think £115 for the two (software and holder) is very reasonable value. Tom Tom Navigator 7 for PDA's is around £80 for the European mapping version. Add on a car mount of say £15-20 and your only £15 off the iPhone price. And as some PDA's wot have a gps on board, then it would be at least another £30 for a Bluetooth gps receiver. So the iPhone kit with software, car holder, external GPS receiver, bluetooth handsfree kit, audio interface, car charger and external speaker really isn't bad at all for £115.

This I jus another case of iPhone users thinking that they deserve somethig cheaper than everyone else just because they use an iPhone, same as the hassle when the 3gs was launched.

whild
Aug 6, 2009, 03:00 AM
I've had the Navigon software for about a month now - and it's just short of being perfect. The iPhone has NOT ONCE dropped the GPS signal while using the software - infact it picks up the GPS signal in about 20-30 seconds which is faster than my old standalone TomTom. Why do people keep saying the iPhone GPS chip isn't good enough? I've literally driven about 1,000 miles without it dropping ONCE!!! There's absolutely no good reason to waste so much money on the TomTom cradle.

applehappy
Aug 6, 2009, 03:27 AM
I've had the Navigon software for about a month now - and it's just short of being perfect. The iPhone has NOT ONCE dropped the GPS signal while using the software - infact it picks up the GPS signal in about 20-30 seconds which is faster than my old standalone TomTom. Why do people keep saying the iPhone GPS chip isn't good enough? I've literally driven about 1,000 miles without it dropping ONCE!!! There's absolutely no good reason to waste so much money on the TomTom cradle.

Uh, what if I am looking for a charger, a handsfree calling device, an aux out, and a nav app?

whild
Aug 6, 2009, 03:40 AM
Simple. I have a handsfree bluetooth module on my windscreen (very small and works perfectly) - Navigon app (doh), I charge from the cigarette lighter which is how a TomTom cradle would connect anyhow (it has to draw power from somewhere!), and if I want I can connect my iPhone directly to the car stereo aux to play music! So, no need for a cradle! Infact I can connect the iPhone to my Panasonic Car CD Player and it will also charge the phone from there as well as play music. The only advantage I can see of the TomTom cradle is that it has Bluetooth Handsfree built in - HOWEVER, my current TomTom Bluetooth Handsfree is shockingly bad as it picks up ambient noise - the little windscreen solar-powered Bluetooth set I use is far far better.

JonB3Z
Aug 6, 2009, 04:31 AM
If I remember correctly, the 50-code limitation was for "promo codes", I'm sure there's another way to get a "redemption code" for Apps....especially for companies releasing specific iPhone Accessories

Or just include in the hardware package a standard iTunes "gift card" code for the same amount as the app is priced. Now that the iPhone includes the ability to redeem card codes, you would be all set.

JonB3Z
Aug 6, 2009, 04:38 AM
Then again, they may offer features that makes their price tag seem like a (relative) bargain.

Yes, it may make sense to wait until we know the specific features of the hardware/software product before deciding what price is acceptable!

fhall1
Aug 6, 2009, 05:57 AM
Seems ridiculously high compared to a stand-alone GPS these days. How about this....when it comes out and is priced too high - NOBODY BUY IT! The result will be that TomTom will "get it" and lower the price to a more reasonable level or be stuck with inventory. But if folks rush right out and order it, the price will stay high - simple supply and demand folks.

ct2k7
Aug 6, 2009, 06:21 AM
Seems ridiculously high compared to a stand-alone GPS these days. How about this....when it comes out and is priced too high - NOBODY BUY IT! The result will be that TomTom will "get it" and lower the price to a more reasonable level or be stuck with inventory. But if folks rush right out and order it, the price will stay high - simple supply and demand folks.

I agree, but will people buy it?

speed12
Aug 6, 2009, 06:44 AM
People will definitely buy it. Think about it, probably 90% of people who own iPhones won't have heard of Navigon or Sygic or any of the other current iPhone TBT makers but pretty much all will have heard of TomTom and know they are good. Then, who is going to be the only one of the TBT apps which will be advertised probably pretty much everywhere? TomTom.

So it stands to reason that people will probably end up buying that one.

That's my logic anyway.

DanBa
Aug 6, 2009, 06:55 AM
A new contender at a soft price: CoPilot Live for iPhone

"Co-Pilot Live 8 is ‘spectacularly’ good and it still would be if it cost £60 for the UK version. At £25.99 for the UK version and £59.99 for Europe it is hard to comprehend the value buried in this application. It is the very best satellite navigation solution available on the iPhone at this time, and I suspect it will be in 6 months time as well."
http://www.pda-247.com/wordpress/2009/08/co-pilot-live-8-for-iphone-review/

fluffer
Aug 6, 2009, 06:58 AM
I personally didn't think the quoted price was too far out. It's pitched to be competetive with the stand alone Tomtom One in the UK. I think Tomtom are the leaders as I've used them in the past and prefer them to others. I also agree with giving the iPhone's GPS a bit of a boost, so the cradle is a good idea.

Rather than have an extra TT One and an iPhone, I dont think it's drastic news and will certainly be interested in it if it stays at this price. Why does everyone want something for next to nothing these days?

fluffer
Aug 6, 2009, 07:01 AM
A new contender at a soft price: CoPilot Live for iPhone

"Co-Pilot Live 8 is ‘spectacularly’ good and it still would be if it cost £60 for the UK version. At £25.99 for the UK version and £59.99 for Europe it is hard to comprehend the value buried in this application. It is the very best satellite navigation solution available on the iPhone at this time, and I suspect it will be in 6 months time as well."
http://www.pda-247.com/wordpress/2009/08/co-pilot-live-8-for-iphone-review/

I've used Co-Pilot on my Xda II. Personally i don't rate its choice of routes and usability at all, but thats personally.

E.Lizardo
Aug 6, 2009, 07:11 AM
They had better be all 5 star awesome (not app store reviews)for me to consider that price.We'll see.

speed12
Aug 6, 2009, 07:33 AM
I personally didn't think the quoted price was too far out. It's pitched to be competetive with the stand alone Tomtom One in the UK. I think Tomtom are the leaders as I've used them in the past and prefer them to others. I also agree with giving the iPhone's GPS a bit of a boost, so the cradle is a good idea.

Rather than have an extra TT One and an iPhone, I dont think it's drastic news and will certainly be interested in it if it stays at this price. Why does everyone want something for next to nothing these days?

Spot on.

m3coolpix
Aug 6, 2009, 08:23 AM
People will definitely buy it. Think about it, probably 90% of people who own iPhones won't have heard of Navigon or Sygic or any of the other current iPhone TBT makers but pretty much all will have heard of TomTom and know they are good. Then, who is going to be the only one of the TBT apps which will be advertised probably pretty much everywhere? TomTom..

TomTom, unless it's just horrible or 'out of the ballpark priced', is going to do OK with their iPhone app and cradle.

TomTom advertises on the traffic radio station(s) I listen to constantly. In fact, on one of them, it's every 10 minute updates from 6am to 7pm. And, if there's a 'breaking news traffic event', they'll update more often. Driver's can even phone in traffic issues. I don't see how any TBT navigation software/hardware can match this level of traffic reporting....

The majority of the US mentality is that 'I deserve.....' nowadays. But, not everyone over here across the pond thinks that way. If the TomTom app software proves to be commandingly better than Navigon, I'll buy the app (but my need for the cradle is not there at all).

VenusianSky
Aug 6, 2009, 08:34 AM
$200 does seem a bit much, but I don't know. I spent about $40 on a car charger/cradle. And what about traffic reports? I know with some navigation units, you need to subsribe to traffic reports. Will the Tom Tom software just use the iphones data connection, or will there be an additional fee. One of the main reasons I bought the iphone was for its GPS functionality. I have been waiting for this Tom Tom app to come out. Guess we'll just see if the price holds when it is actually released.

speed12
Aug 6, 2009, 08:37 AM
If the TomTom app software proves to be commandingly better than Navigon, I'll buy the app (but my need for the cradle is not there at all).

I think this is the key point really. Everyone seems to be focusing on the price with the cradle, which due to the extra gubbins in it is, yes, going to be more expensive than a standard cradle.

But it is only an added extra that to some people will give some useful extra features such as BT handsfree, audio out etc, not to mention the dedicated GPS chip. But as others have seen with other software, the iPhone GPS is actually pretty good and so thre is no reason why the extra is necessary, but will be available if the user thinks it is required.

But at the end of the day, its really the software we are comparing here and I'm pretty certain the Tom Tom app will be fairly top notch if their units are anything to go by..................of course it could be crap as well!

m3coolpix
Aug 6, 2009, 09:07 AM
But it is only an added extra that to some people will give some useful extra features such as BT handsfree, audio out etc, not to mention the dedicated GPS chip.

But at the end of the day, its really the software we are comparing here and I'm pretty certain the Tom Tom app will be fairly top notch if their units are anything to go by..................of course it could be crap as well!

TomTom's downfall (or at least a lack of sales), could very well come just from the cradle. We've all seen how the App Store reviews go.

Let's say that the TomTom cradle just rocks with getting a good GPS signal, but it sucks with some of it's other features. The reviewers on the App Store don't usually spend a ton of time separating features or problems. They don't care, they'll just say 'It sucks' to the App, and forget it's a cradle problem (or even vice versa). A draw back of the review process, but as it is now, it's brutally honest and right on 'most' of the time.

I think this may be one of the bigger issues of TomTom's release timing. A small 'we can fix that in the next revision' can mushroom into a severe beating on the App Store. And if it's a hardware problem, that's a recall waiting to happen on A LOT of units. The press will be all over it either way.

Maxington
Aug 6, 2009, 09:44 AM
Wow that price will place it out of the market of most users since your just buying some limited hardware to mount it and the software... zoinks time to look for a used GPS.

ct2k7
Aug 6, 2009, 10:39 AM
Wow that price will place it out of the market of most users since your just buying some limited hardware to mount it and the software... zoinks time to look for a used GPS.

I saw a TomTom for £79 :o

Phil Lee
Aug 6, 2009, 10:52 AM
I already have a Brodit holder for my iPhone so have just bought CoPilot Live 8 from the app store. I was holding out for TomTom but have been a long term satisfied user of CoPilot. I like the app and the price is good so I went for it.

optophobia
Aug 6, 2009, 11:00 AM
Well if you want to save money then just get the free app xGPS through Cydia. SOmeone else mentioned it on MR so I have it installed. You definitely get what you pay for, but it gives you a good indication of how well the GPS chip functions in the iphone.
For me it lags quite a bit, and sometimes thinks you are on a parallel street, but it works. If the TomTom dock really works then I think I may be inclined to get the kit.
I am just hoping they have some sort of early adopter sale, since I didn't really want to fork out $200.

cenetti
Aug 6, 2009, 12:38 PM
I agree, but will people buy it?

There is an iSucker born every minute.

applehappy
Aug 7, 2009, 02:33 AM
Simple. I have a handsfree bluetooth module on my windscreen (very small and works perfectly) - Navigon app (doh), I charge from the cigarette lighter which is how a TomTom cradle would connect anyhow (it has to draw power from somewhere!), and if I want I can connect my iPhone directly to the car stereo aux to play music! So, no need for a cradle! Infact I can connect the iPhone to my Panasonic Car CD Player and it will also charge the phone from there as well as play music. The only advantage I can see of the TomTom cradle is that it has Bluetooth Handsfree built in - HOWEVER, my current TomTom Bluetooth Handsfree is shockingly bad as it picks up ambient noise - the little windscreen solar-powered Bluetooth set I use is far far better.

Thanks for all the info...I guess what you are saying is you don't need to by the dock? I'm sure the s/w alone will be competitively priced.

That is the down-side of such an all-encompassing dock, some won't see value in paying for things that don't need or want.

MacU
Aug 10, 2009, 02:30 PM
$200?

Up yours™, TomTom.

The price point for this has to be between $25-$40. Otherwise, buy a free standing unit that doesn't rely on AT&T service. Anything over $50 is a joke.

fr00b
Aug 10, 2009, 09:16 PM
The price point for this has to be between $25-$40. Otherwise, buy a free standing unit that doesn't rely on AT&T service. Anything over $50 is a joke.

I think the chances of a fully functioning TomTom app for $20-$40 is highly unlikely. For the app alone, I think it would be about $100, if not more.

apolloa
Aug 12, 2009, 07:31 PM
Co-Pilot Live 8 for £26
Brodit Cradle for £25 and clip for £15, already have a charger.
Handsfree bluetooth is built into my car.

Why do I want Tom Tom again? And Co-Pilot is pretty much Tom Toms main competitor on smartphones as it's won tons of awards.
I also think it will cost MORE then the price quoted on the website, if it's a UK and Ireland map only then I think it will be around £50 or 60 which is a rip off, add Europe and I reckon it'll nudge £90, I think looking at pricing for existing Tom Tom cradles which just charge a phone then we are looking at £60 at least for it.

Co-Pilot will in an update due soon make the software automatically carry on from where it left off with your route after a phone call. It will be very interesting to see Tom Tom's solution, personally I think they have missed the boat and I can only maybe see it being worth the money if your going to use it every day.

labman
Aug 12, 2009, 07:45 PM
will run with the high price for a while for the people that don't care about the price. After sales fall if they fall I believe they will at that price. then after a while TomTom will put it on sale till they find a good selling price.

DELLsFan
Aug 15, 2009, 10:24 AM

Agreed. I'm looking forward to the US release of this baby. I am not terribly concerned with theft where I reside. Though, when traveling, I generally unmount and hide my visible gadgets and accessories when I'm not in the car - so as to minimize the risk of pilferage.

PinkyMacGodess
Aug 16, 2009, 03:07 PM

The GPS part won't use AT&T but anyway, the idea of a 'promo code' or 'redemption code' could easily work like the codes that many DVD's include for their 'digital copies'. You enter the code and the movie starts downloading.

Regarding the usability. I'd rather have a separate GPS/phone so that I can screen calls and not have to reach for the screen while driving. Oh, and what will the app turn off so that you aren't distracted while driving?

I suppose if it handled the phone part WHILE it was being used as the GPS, that would be fantastic but I don't know how these programs handle calls while running. Something like shows who calls and lets you decide to take the call or not...