PDA

View Full Version : Apple Alerts Customers About Upcoming 'Sales Tax Holidays'

MacRumors
Aug 5, 2009, 02:48 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/08/05/apple-alerts-customers-about-upcoming-sales-tax-holidays/)

Apple has been sending out e-mails to customers in a number of U.S. states alerting them to upcoming "sales tax holidays" that may entitle them to tax-free purchases of qualifying Apple products. A number of states sponsor these programs on an annual basis, lifting state sales taxes on limited items for a brief period to stimulate retail sales. The programs are frequently billed as "back-to-school" events that lift taxes on such items as clothing, school supplies, and computers.

Apple's Tax Holiday (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/campaigns/tax/holiday) page highlights the details of the programs in each participating state, explains how to take advantage of the program through retail store, online, and telephone purchases, and notes that retail stores will have extended hours during the tax-free period.There'll never be a better time to buy a new Mac from Apple. Just shop at an Apple Store and choose a qualifying Mac during your state's no-tax period.

And if you buy a Mac for college, you'll qualify for even bigger breaks: Apple education pricing and a free iPod touch.States with upcoming sales tax holidays include Alabama, Louisiana, Missouri, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, and West Virginia. Most of the states are offering their programs this weekend (Friday through Sunday), although customers should check Apple's site for specific details on their states' programs.

Article Link: Apple Alerts Customers About Upcoming 'Sales Tax Holidays' (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/08/05/apple-alerts-customers-about-upcoming-sales-tax-holidays/)

Surely
Aug 5, 2009, 02:52 PM
No CA. Boo.

Thanks a lot, Schwarzenegger. :rolleyes:

Doctor Q
Aug 5, 2009, 03:05 PM
They've never had tax-free days in California, but I was at an retail Apple store in Tennessee for one of their tax-free days, and Apple was well-prepared. There was a big line outside the store and they had ropes and extra staff to keep things organized, letting people into the store as previous people came out.

They and many other stores do a lot of business on tax-free shopping days.

Surely
Aug 5, 2009, 03:09 PM
Well, I'm not surprised that CA doesn't have a tax-free day considering how difficult it was to finalize a budget here. This state needs every dollar it can get.

It just would have been nice to save the 9.25% for a weekend...... ah well.....

kbmb
Aug 5, 2009, 03:11 PM
One of the very FEW good reasons that I enjoy living in New Hampshire....tax free purchases all the time. :D

Now if I only had more money to buy more stuff at the Apple store!

-Kevin

4np
Aug 5, 2009, 03:13 PM
People in Vermont could also just drive to New Hampshire all year round ;)

KingYaba
Aug 5, 2009, 03:50 PM
Maybe I should drive sixteen hours to New Mexico. :)

ProwlingTiger
Aug 5, 2009, 04:00 PM
...They left off Texas for some reason. Aug 21-23.

Texas demands reparations! :D

SFStateStudent
Aug 5, 2009, 04:22 PM
From what I understand, California needs all the taxes "we can't afford to pay" and some.....:mad:

hudsonCrossing
Aug 5, 2009, 04:38 PM
any chance this break will be implemented in NY/NJ area. :(

mattwolfmatt
Aug 5, 2009, 05:15 PM
Oh c'mon, everyone should pay "their fair share!" Especially the rich who buy apple products. (sarcasm noted)

zed
Aug 5, 2009, 05:53 PM
I picked up a low end MacBook Pro in Georgia last weekend for $1099 (with student discount and no tax) and got a free iPod Touch to boot.

:)

thegoldenmackid
Aug 5, 2009, 05:59 PM
For all of those people that don't want to pay taxes on Amazon.

noodle654
Aug 5, 2009, 07:42 PM
I remember when I was younger that NY had a tax holiday during the last weekend in August for back to school. They don't have it anymore I don't think. NJ never has had one, because the state is in debt over its eyeballs.

roski11
Aug 5, 2009, 09:57 PM
meh, I got everything I need.

glowingstar
Aug 5, 2009, 10:32 PM
but will there be an "Apple Tax" holiday? :p

*duck!*

bretm
Aug 6, 2009, 12:32 AM
Be sure to travel somewhere where the sales tax rate is really high to make sure you save the most amount possible.

Somebody will do it... :)

Or just order off MacMall where there aren't any sales taxes AND you usually get extra RAM free stuff and often free overnight shipping,

Why do people order from the Apple Online store again?

gavin83209
Aug 6, 2009, 01:35 AM
BTO options and convenience. As far as I can tell, that is all. I realize some places stock BTOs, though.

Fatdog
Aug 6, 2009, 02:11 AM

My original post was deleted... But Texas isn't included because electronics aren't included in the tax exempt weekend. I think it's only things like clothing and school supplies. So Apple wouldn't advertise for something that doesn't apply to them.

dfs
Aug 6, 2009, 02:37 AM
Need it be said that California is not on the list of states participating in this program? That's the main reason that, when it comes to big ticket purchases, a lot of Mac users out here avoid the Apple Store and buy from some out-of-state source. If you do this and find some vendor willing to throw in free shipping, you can save some truly big bucks. In its desperation California and some of its municipalities keep cranking up the sales tax, but this has the effect of driving commerce out of this state and our own merchants suffer. They make less money so pay less state income tax. Some merchants (although not of course the Apple store) lose enough business they have to lay off workers. Unemployment. Or even close their doors. More unemployment. So everybody loses. Except the politicians, who are too dumb to understand the effect of their decisions.

thegoldenmackid
Aug 6, 2009, 02:38 AM
My original post was deleted... But Texas isn't included because electronics aren't included in the tax exempt weekend. I think it's only things like clothing and school supplies. So Apple wouldn't advertise for something that doesn't apply to them.
Correct. The limits on goods I believe would make it obsolete even if it could qualify, which it wouldn't.

emulator
Aug 6, 2009, 03:40 AM
big deal, everyday is tax free day at amazon, newegg, and the countless online stores. never got any electronics at retail, only ages ago, when Delaware was a 30 min drive. :)

Mac4Brains
Aug 6, 2009, 09:01 AM
:(gee thanks for telling me the day after I ordered my MacBook Pro:(

RMo
Aug 6, 2009, 09:20 AM

It's OK, they left off Iowa, too--but I'm pretty sure electronics don't count here (it's mostly clothing). Others have said Texas is the same, so perhaps that is why. :)

Corrosive vinyl
Aug 6, 2009, 09:36 AM
I could have sworn my state was tax free for a weekend, also. The sad part is, the state I used to live in is listed right away! Maybe that is another reason to move back.

Moof1904
Aug 6, 2009, 02:53 PM
Or just order off MacMall where there aren't any sales taxes AND you usually get extra RAM free stuff and often free overnight shipping,

Many people don't know that you can get a custom built mac from Mac mall, too. Just to the Apple online store and build the computer without purchasing it and give the specifics to Mac Mall. They'll order the same exact computer, charge you exactly what Apple's site quoted, and ship it to you with no sales tax.

Sweet.

thegoldenmackid
Aug 6, 2009, 02:55 PM
Many people don't know that you can get a custom built mac from Mac mall, too. Just to the Apple online store and build the computer without purchasing it and give the specifics to Mac Mall. They'll order the same exact computer, charge you exactly what Apple's site quoted, and ship it to you with no sales tax.

Sweet.

But, you still have to legally pay tax.

hyroboarder
Aug 6, 2009, 03:18 PM

*duck!*

hahahaha 199$ mac mini ftw!! :D

jzuena
Aug 6, 2009, 03:54 PM
One of the very FEW good reasons that I enjoy living in New Hampshire....tax free purchases all the time. :D

Now if I only had more money to buy more stuff at the Apple store!

-Kevin

People in Vermont could also just drive to New Hampshire all year round ;)

Since the one Apple store in NH is in the Rockingham Park Mall, I'd say its much closer for people near Boston MA than for people in VT.

But, you still have to legally pay tax.

Not sales tax. Most states that have sales tax also have a use tax that says that since you will use the item in-state you have to pay the equivalent of the sales tax rate (which you avoided by purchasing out-of-state) anyway. This hinges on you actually using the item in your home state.

If I buy something in NH and give it as a gift to someone in NH, then I haven't used the item in MA so no use tax. It is up to MA to prove that I did keep the item and use it in MA. And since NH has a law allowing businesses there to ignore MA attempts to get customer lists, MA has an uphill battle in even finding out who to even target in the first place (assuming in-person purchase and not mail-order purchase). No idea if Oregon has similar laws to keep CA and WA from trying to go after near-border residents who head to Oregon for their purchases.

satcomer
Aug 6, 2009, 04:14 PM
any chance this break will be implemented in NY/NJ area. :(

Nope. They are thinking about new taxes in that area. But don't worry, Virginia is right there with you.

NewSc2
Aug 6, 2009, 05:27 PM
Or you can just buy off Amazon. No sales tax and listed prices are usually a bit cheaper than Apple.

Sehnsucht
Aug 6, 2009, 05:39 PM
There's one in Oklahoma, but it only applies to clothing and shoes from what I can tell. Boring! :rolleyes:

The sales tax here is 8.517%, I'm wondering if it's worth making a trip to Missouri to pick up the 24" ACD I've been needing...:cool:

Or Amazon.com.

Ericatomars
Aug 7, 2009, 12:09 AM
what about Illinois? Of course our governor was nice enough to mess up the entire state! Thanks Blogo!!!

sirjpbear
Aug 7, 2009, 10:27 AM
Hey,
Does anyone know if Apple's no-tax weekend will be in NY?
-thanks.

thegoldenmackid
Aug 7, 2009, 10:28 AM
Hey,
Does anyone know if Apple's no-tax weekend will be in NY?
-thanks.

Nope. Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Missouri. New Mexico, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont & West Virginia

anubis
Aug 7, 2009, 05:28 PM
Be sure to travel somewhere where the sales tax rate is really high to make sure you save the most amount possible.

Somebody will do it... :)

To get the education discount plus free iPod touch - things you can't get by going through a reseller

EDIT: If only Canon had an educational discount :rolleyes:

freiheit
Aug 8, 2009, 11:13 PM
Wow, I'd never seen or heard of this part of the online Apple store before. Too bad California isn't on the list. Still, it's good to know about for the future maybe.

bericd
Aug 9, 2009, 10:56 AM
It just would have been nice to save the 9.25% for a weekend...... ah well.....

<Cough> Amazon.com </Cough>

DELLsFan
Aug 15, 2009, 10:36 AM

*duck!*

Good question. Stand up straight, now. The answer is no, you *goose*. :D