PDA

View Full Version : Quad-Processor PowerMacs

grneyedjay
Jun 18, 2004, 01:21 AM
Does anyone else remember the DayStar PowerMacs? I stumbled across some information on them....I once worked at a place that had a DayStar--4 Processors (can't remember how fast), 512mb ram, cant remember the hd but i remember there were 4 of them....yeah, all in 1998!! Or it might have been bought earlier..wow.

http://lowendmac.com/daystar/genesis.html

themadchemist
Jun 18, 2004, 12:19 PM
wouldn't have done much good back then...Before OS X, Mac OS didn't handle preemptive multitasking very well.

MacsRgr8
Jun 18, 2004, 01:53 PM
Could it run AUX? (wasn't that about the same time?)

StrangeQuark
Jun 18, 2004, 05:49 PM
A/UX was more of an early 90's thing. I wouldn't be suprised if it could run it though.

Edit: Speaking of anachronistic software. I just found out that a circa 1985 copy of MacDraw from my Dad's old compact Mac runs perfectly happily under Classic on my Rev C PB 12". I love OS X. Backward compatible and still faster than an ornithophobic being chased by an ostrich.

NusuniAdmin
Jun 18, 2004, 06:25 PM
A/UX ran on the wg servers and such. Before my quadra wg server 95 died 2 days ago it was running some very of a/ux. I gave it a proper funeral.... :( The hd has spun down for the last time :( :( :( :(

grneyedjay
Jun 18, 2004, 06:29 PM
wouldn't have done much good back then...Before OS X, Mac OS didn't handle preemptive multitasking very well.

Yeah, we were running Adobe After Effects and you had to have special multiprocessor plugins to get it to use all 4, and worked quite well.....for other applications, not so much..

themadchemist
Jun 18, 2004, 06:31 PM
Yeah, we were running Adobe After Effects and you had to have special multiprocessor plugins to get it to use all 4, and worked quite well.....for other applications, not so much..

ah, that would do it. forgot about the ol' plugins. :cool:

snooziums
Jun 18, 2004, 06:35 PM
If you want the mainboard, I have it!

I am posting the mainboard only (the only part I have) up for auction on eBay. If you are interested, check it out. (Only one day left on the auction too, and the price is right).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5101927055