PDA

View Full Version : Wow! What a change!

jknight8907
Jun 18, 2004, 03:46 PM
After living on dial-up all winter, me and my laptop finally made it to summer work, where I am fortuned, no, blessed, with T1 internet!!!! :D Only problem is, it's serious denial when I get home to 38.6kbps.

Cool. :cool: :cool: :cool: :D :D :D :cool: :cool: :cool:

krimson
Jun 18, 2004, 03:53 PM
i had 56k til about 2 years ago, when I started working at my current place, where we have a T3, then I went home and waited and waited for pages to load. Then I picked up a G4 and got Cable... after that I've never turned back, and you'd have to shoot me to get me back on dialup for any extended period of time. :)

jknight8907
Jun 18, 2004, 03:56 PM
Unfortunately, conisdering the extremely rural area I live in (or is it the stubborness of CenturyHel?) hi-speed isn't an option for me. Oh, well, mabey someday.

jimsowden
Jun 18, 2004, 04:06 PM
You could always get satellite, which now works with macs, directway I think its called.

Thirteenva
Jun 18, 2004, 04:08 PM
You could always get satellite, which now works with macs, directway I think its called.

Incredibly expensive and usually only one way(upload through the phone line). Plus i hear its prone to outages.

StrangeQuark
Jun 18, 2004, 04:23 PM
Satellite anything is terrible unless you live in an area where it doesn't rain. I live in Florida, and satellite television is worthless in the summer (our rainy season). From what I understand, there's not any difference between the signal sent for television and the signal sent for internet use, so it would be just as bad. If you live in the Mojave desert, no worries.

jknight8907
Jun 18, 2004, 04:29 PM
Well, I can get 2-way satellite through DirecTV, but my dad's VPN connection has fits with the lag time. We tried it on my grandparent's and it slows it down real bad when he's dialed in, and since he's paying for it...... :(

plumers
Jun 18, 2004, 04:40 PM
What do you guys called my internet connection (Comcast High-Speed Cable Internet, no satellite dish); LAN, 56K, DSL, T1 or T2 or T3??? :confused:

They're whack, it wont hooked up with my macs, probably the modem box is too old (it has been sitting in the back of my computer table for a long time). So, My macs is just using Earthlink Dial-Up Connection..

JOD8FY
Jun 18, 2004, 04:42 PM
What do you guys called my internet connection (Comcast High-Speed Cable Internet, no satellite dish); LAN, 56K, DSL, T1 or T2 or T3??? :confused:

They're whack, it wont hooked up with my macs, probably the modem box is too old (it has been sitting in the back of my computer table for a long time). So, My macs is just using Earthlink Dial-Up Connection..

I think it'd be considered LAN. Correct me if I'm wrong...

JOD8FY

Sparky's
Jun 18, 2004, 04:46 PM
Unfortunately, considering the extremely rural area I live in (or is it the stubbornness of CenturyHel?) hi-speed isn't an option for me. Oh, well, maybe someday.

Be patient, the mans says ALBUQUERQUE - Reaching back to revive an idea promoted by the man he beat for the White House, President Bush urged Friday that affordable high-speed Internet access be available to all Americans by 2007, saying it was essential to the nationís economic growth.

I really hope this is something we all can work towards. :D

Full Story
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4609864/

Wes
Jun 18, 2004, 04:57 PM
I think it'd be considered LAN. Correct me if I'm wrong...

JOD8FY

Well LAN = Local Area Network so he is certainly not connect through that.

Cable is of a similar (if slightly higher, depending on the circumstances) category as DSL. Most places have a category of DSL/Cable.

A website that has the basic chart.

http://www.library.on.ca/helpdesk/Internet/connect.html

Plumers: You may want to fix your signature: 10.2.x = Jaguar, 10.2.x = Panther.

beg_ne
Jun 18, 2004, 05:01 PM

Your Cable Internet would be called whats known in the industry as um...Cable Internet. :)

It's similar to DSL.

56K - Dialup
LAN = Local Area Network. Which you would have if you had a bunch of computers in your house connected via ethernet / wireless connection. And not necessarily connected to the internet at all.
T1, T2, T3 - are higher speed connections, usually business grade and start at 1.5Mbs(T1) and cost hundreds of dollars/month.

topicolo
Jun 18, 2004, 05:09 PM
Your Cable Internet would be called whats known in the industry as um...Cable Internet. :)

It's similar to DSL.

56K - Dialup
LAN = Local Area Network. Which you would have if you had a bunch of computers in your house connected via ethernet / wireless connection. And not necessarily connected to the internet at all.
T1, T2, T3 - are higher speed connections, usually business grade and start at 1.5Mbs(T1) and cost hundreds of dollars/month.

T1-T3 and the OC types of connections also have MUCH higher upload rates than cable or dsl.

jknight8907
Jun 19, 2004, 01:49 PM
Be patient, the mans says

Yeah, mabey someday they'll have OC-3 for $9.99 a month!

Wes
Jun 19, 2004, 01:52 PM
Yeah, mabey someday they'll have OC-3 for $9.99 a month!

In 20 years my pen will have 3 times that amount of bandwidth.

Thirteenva
Jun 19, 2004, 02:09 PM

It's similar to DSL.

Cable is not similar to DSL or vice versa. Unless by 'similar' you mean in the vaguest terms such as they're both broadband... which also makes it similar to a T1 or T3 or Fiber....

This is somewhat misleading but on the right track.

A T1 may not have a higher download speed than cable or dsl. I have dsl that is as fast downstream as a T1 and most cable connections exceed T1 speeds downstream as do some DSL lines. The beauty of a T1 is that it is synchronous and you'll get 1.5mbs down and 1.5 UP also. Fastest cable upload speeds i'm aware of is 1mbs up.

T1-T3's are usually available to businesses but there are exceptions.

Thanatoast
Jun 19, 2004, 02:57 PM

They're whack, it wont hooked up with my macs, probably the modem box is too old (it has been sitting in the back of my computer table for a long time). So, My macs is just using Earthlink Dial-Up Connection..hm. that's strange. i have comcast cable internet and it runs just fine. all my computers are plugged into a router/hub/switch (dunno - a little linksys box) which is plugged into the cable modem. have you tried calling comcast or applecare? broadband is worth the trouble of fixing the connection. :)

Thirteenva
Jun 20, 2004, 06:43 AM
hm. that's strange. i have comcast cable internet and it runs just fine. all my computers are plugged into a router/hub/switch (dunno - a little linksys box) which is plugged into the cable modem. have you tried calling comcast or applecare? broadband is worth the trouble of fixing the connection. :)

I second this. I've used my powerbook with comcast both by plugging directly into the modem, and on home networks. Is you're mac set up properly for DHCP ? also keep in mind that usually if you unplug the cable modem from one computer and into another you'll have to power cycle the modem (unplug it for 30sec) so it can get a new IP from your provider.

wrldwzrd89
Jun 20, 2004, 10:51 AM
I second this. I've used my powerbook with comcast both by plugging directly into the modem, and on home networks. Is you're mac set up properly for DHCP ? also keep in mind that usually if you unplug the cable modem from one computer and into another you'll have to power cycle the modem (unplug it for 30sec) so it can get a new IP from your provider.
I tried this with my Adelphia cable modem directly connected to a PowerMac G4 and connected to all computers through a router - it worked fine. However, you must use Ethernet to connect directly - USB modems often don't work with Macs or only work in Mac OS 9.