PDA

View Full Version : Do not feed the trolls!

superninjagoat
Jun 18, 2004, 03:46 PM
I just posted this in another thread, but it will be wasteland before too long.

If you think someone is flaming or trolling, IMHO the best thing to do is ignore it. Especially on the Mac vs. Win thing. Mac users spend so much time defending ourselves in the WinTel world, why would we want to do the same within our own community?

So why do you think people still feel the need to respond to the trolls? Am I missing something?

One conversation I'd love to have in these forums is a true Mac vs. Windows discussion of features, ease of use and UI comparisons. I think everyone here would agree that it would be impossible to hear anyone through the flamewar that would result.

Sparky's
Jun 18, 2004, 04:58 PM
I think proof of credentials would be required. Even though I've been using Macs for 15 years I wouldn't know where to start answering a PC person. Another thing is the age factor. I've seen so many discussions that end up turning into little 12 year old brat yelling competitions it hurts. I have often wondered what a "Live" open forum with moderators with the proper credentials from both sides would be like. Q & A with reliable, responsible input :rolleyes:

One could only hope

jxyama
Jun 18, 2004, 05:40 PM
So why do you think people still feel the need to respond to the trolls? Am I missing something?

because they may not be trolls?

i'd rather err on the "right" side and see if the poster can possibly be a non-troll.

as for windows vs. mac. if you want to compare OS, see www.xvsxp.com.

it's fairly comprehensive and whether you agree or not, it's informative just reading about what kind of usability/UI issues are considered.

themadchemist
Jun 18, 2004, 06:33 PM
It's therapeutic to shout at ignoramuses. ;)