PDA

View Full Version : I can't work it!!!!

Kelg6
Jun 19, 2004, 04:09 PM
So I have been posting various threads that basically portray me as totally clueless. Well, it's true I am totally and utterly clueless about my new machine. I am 18 and I am about to go to college for art and I got this Powerbook for graphic arts. I have never used a mac and it's hard at first. Now I am having trouble with my internet. I don't have .mac but I take my friend's cable modem and hook it up to my computer and explorer works fine. But when I go to my house and hook it up to my cable modem it says the ethernet cable is hooked up but the IS number has it's own assigned number and wont connect. I can't figure out how to work it. I must say it's very very very frustrating and I just want to be happy. Any help would be great, THANKS!

LethalWolfe
Jun 19, 2004, 04:17 PM
So I have been posting various threads that basically portray me as totally clueless. Well, it's true I am totally and utterly clueless about my new machine. I am 18 and I am about to go to college for art and I got this Powerbook for graphic arts. I have never used a mac and it's hard at first. Now I am having trouble with my internet. I don't have .mac but I take my friend's cable modem and hook it up to my computer and explorer works fine. But when I go to my house and hook it up to my cable modem it says the ethernet cable is hooked up but the IS number has it's own assigned number and wont connect. I can't figure out how to work it. I must say it's very very very frustrating and I just want to be happy. Any help would be great, THANKS!

At your place are you pluging the modem directly into the PB or are you going thru a router first? If you are plugging directly into the PB have you tried rebooting the modem? Turn the modem and PB off and disconnect them. Let the modem sit for a couple of minutes and then turn it back on. Give it a few minutes to boot up and connect to your ISP. Now connect then modem to the PB and then power the PB on. See if that works.

Lethal

edesignuk
Jun 19, 2004, 04:17 PM
What is an "IS" number :confused:

mklos
Jun 19, 2004, 04:26 PM
What is an "IS" number :confused:

I think he means IP address. Its gotta be a problem with either your modem or your ISP since it works just fine at your friends house. Its not a problem with your PowerBook. And DO NOT let your ISP tell you that their internet service won't work with a Mac because they're pulling your chain!

Keep writing questions if you have any. The more you use your PowerBook, the more you'll get used it. Just don't give up. It doesn't operate like windows so don't expect it to. If it did it would be called Windows and not Mac OS X.

Kelg6
Jun 19, 2004, 04:53 PM
Wow! I unplugged the modem and shutdown my computer and when started it back up I just configured it to be a cable modem and it worked. I hope it's the easy next time cuz it's kinda a recurring thing. I just got this computer the other day and at first I was frustrated but now that I leaning more, I am totally satisfied with it. I used to be one of those "only a PC" users, but that was because I had never used a Mac before. Thanks for the help. :D
PS I meant IP address, I wasn't actually paying attention to most of what I was writing. :o

LethalWolfe
Jun 19, 2004, 05:44 PM
Wow! I unplugged the modem and shutdown my computer and when started it back up I just configured it to be a cable modem and it worked. I hope it's the easy next time cuz it's kinda a recurring thing. I just got this computer the other day and at first I was frustrated but now that I leaning more, I am totally satisfied with it. I used to be one of those "only a PC" users, but that was because I had never used a Mac before. Thanks for the help. :D
PS I meant IP address, I wasn't actually paying attention to most of what I was writing. :o

What the problem probably was is the modem from you ISP, when first powered up, gets the MAC address from the first machine that is connected to it. From that point on the modem always looks for that MAC address. If it doesn't see it (like if you unhook computer A and hook up computer B) then it won't work. But when you reboot the modem it clears memory that stores the MAC address. A way around this is to user a router. The router will "spoof" a MAC address so the modem will always be "happy" and then you can just hook your computers up to the router and be good to go.

Lethal

7on
Jun 19, 2004, 10:26 PM
And make sure those routers are wireless. They're really spiffy.

And I was once the same as you, getting a Mac to go into graphic design. Don't worry, within time Macs will seem natural. I have even started helping professors with their computer problems. Brownie points for me ;P

PS. What LethalWolfe is saying is that next time don't worry about rebooting your Powerbook. Just reset the modem. :D