Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greedo

Jul 26, 2009
Half-Life 2 and assorted episodes.

for me, the right mix of

- run around and shoot lots of stuff
- plot/mystery/motivation
- general gameplay
- visuals
- perfect mix between "figure this out puzzle time" and "keep shooting as many things as possible and generally go that direction"

pmcb

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2008
cod4 modern warfare for xbox 360, a little more laid back than halo 3. oh and i'm a monster at that game. 2.26 k/d ratio :cool:

nba 2k9 is super fun but since the draft idk how accurate the rosters are...can't wait for 2k10 with kobe on the cover...;)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Absolutely impossible to say. But my fave games in no particular order-

Half Life. Made the FPS world respectable.
Crysis. Balls out action.
Mario Bros 3, Mario World and Sonic 2. Perfect platformers.
Metroid Prime 1.
Mario Galaxy.
Smash Bros Brawl.
Twilight Princess.
LocoRoco, Advance Wars, Pokemon Pearl.

Actually screw it. My fave game ever is Zelda: Links Awakening. No game has come close to that in terms of pacing, structure, music and story.

Pants Dragon

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. Well actually I guess Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, since it's everything and more. Great gameplay and amazing story. I know many people think MGS has a stupid story, but I can't get enough of it.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Games that were some of my favorites throughout the years, in no particular order:

Ultima V on the PC. It was the first Ultima game I played and just really like it. I liked these older rpgs because you couldn't just click your way to the end like some modern rpgs.

Elder Scrolls III on PC. I liked how open ended it was. I actually played Oblivion much more than this one, but I still like this one better. Sadly, I just don't have the time and energy anymore to really get into a game that is so open ended.

Zelda Ocarina of Time on N64. Seeing a zelda game in a 3d environment for the first time was cool. Just a great game. I still play it sometimes.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 for PS2. It was the first Tony Hawk game, of many, that I played.

Skate for XBox 360. I was getting tired of the tony hawk games and I liked the innovative controls for the game. I still play this one a lot. Ironically, I was never a skater. I think I was only on a real skateboard once or twice in my life.

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne

I can modify the game so much that it is more fun to modify than play

savvos

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
The new Prince of Persia games (Sands of Time through Two Thrones--I haven't played the newest one yet). The controls for fighting and platforming felt pretty much perfect for me. The story was fun, too.

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
too many for an all time to list, but recently inFamous on the PS3 is a game that caught my attention and really made me want to play through start to finish and replay it over and over.

uanuglyfool

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2009
The Moon, CA
I gotta say Halo 3....By far my favorite game. I bought an Xbox 360 just for that. Even 2 years after the release, I'm still playing it like crazy!!! I love having friends over and play ALL night. The game play is the best and the combination of maps and game variants makes it one of my all time favorites.......Team Snipers FTW!

If I had to pick others they would be:

Xbox 360
-GTA IV
-GTA San Andreas
-Rock Band 1&2
-Guitar Hero 3
-Gears of War 2
-Left 4 Dead

N64
-Zelda Ocarina of Time (THE BEST)
-Zelda Majora's Mask
-Golden Eye
-Smash Bros
-Mario 64
-Mario Cart
-Diddy Kong Racing........the list goes on but ill stop LOL

Schmittroth

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
NYC, Astoria-Queens
Unreal Tournament (99). Still the best death match ever. Soooo many mods.

Lemmings. Original PC. Still trying to find a modern equivalent that plays as well. PS3 version is OK but not the same.

Mechwarrior 2. great early LAN game and best opening movie ever.

Street Fighter 2 (NES).

chimpboy74

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2007
Scotland
-Golden Eye

-Mario 64

-Diddy Kong Racing

+1 on these. Not sure why. For some reason the N64 made a big impact on me even though I sold it after about a year (for the same as I bought it for! Muppet was happy to pay!)

Diddy Kong racing because I played it with my girlfriend at the time and kind of got her into games (Many years later we are happily married with twin daughters so we owe Diddy something!)

She has also loved every ratchet & clank. Since the twins were born no games consoles in our house (literally dont have the time!) would love to see above mentioned games on the iphone though!

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Banjo_Tooie_n64cover.jpg

the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-virtual-console-20070226043617627_640w.jpg

BradenG

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2009
Wisconsin
Well let's see...From 1997-2000 it was Ultima Online :)

The Half-Life series is probably my favorite singleplayer experience.

Team Fortress 2 is my favorite online game... I've been playing this since the original Quake Team Fortress mod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.