PDA

View Full Version : Is the MDD really going to be discontinued?

snooziums
Jun 21, 2004, 12:33 AM
I have heard several rumors about Apple discontinuing the G4 MDD. Is this true? Will it be just the single-processor model, or the entire lineup?

I think that Apple should keep the MDD line, as it provides a low-cost expandable option to the pricey G5.

And if it is going to be discontinued, when will this happen? It is still on Apple's site and online store.

Horrortaxi
Jun 21, 2004, 12:59 AM
Yes, they've been discontinued. Get em while you can.

Doctor Q
Jun 21, 2004, 01:37 AM
I've been considering getting a single 1.25GHz PowerPC G4 as a secondary home system. I'm hoping to get a firesale price, especially if Apple announces any new models at WWDC. I just have to time it perfectly - wait long enough for minimum price but not before the last one is sold.

Doraemon
Jun 21, 2004, 02:14 AM
I've been considering getting a single 1.25GHz PowerPC G4 as a secondary home system. I'm hoping to get a firesale price, especially if Apple announces any new models at WWDC. I just have to time it perfectly - wait long enough for minimum price but not before the last one is sold.

Why should Apple release a PowerMac system at WWDC? They just released the new G5. And a new iMac model won't change the price of the MDD.

caveman_uk
Jun 21, 2004, 03:11 AM
I've been considering getting a single 1.25GHz PowerPC G4 as a secondary home system.
If you don't actually need the expandability then emacs are cheaper and use the same processor.

7on
Jun 21, 2004, 09:42 AM
ebay will work too.

Doctor Q
Jun 22, 2004, 08:31 PM
Why should Apple release a PowerMac system at WWDC? They just released the new G5. And a new iMac model won't change the price of the MDD.I don't mean to steer the thread off-topic, but I'll explain that any new Mac release will cause pressure on Mac retailers to clear out old inventory. Hence the chance for a deal.

solvs
Jun 22, 2004, 10:05 PM
Watch the refurb store, there was a single on sale for $999 (IMO, the price they should be).

If you don't actually need the expandability then emacs are cheaper and use the same processor.
Actually the eMacs use a newer chip, I believe. Cooler and 512 cache vs. 256 in the MDD. Even better. ;)

Edit: upon closer inspection, the MDD has 256K L2, but 1MB L3. As well as some other things that make it better than the eMac. But the eMac has a lot of advantages as well. So it's a toss up.

LeeTom
Jun 22, 2004, 10:13 PM
Pardon my lameness... I've seen it everywhere, but... what does MDD stand for???

Thanks!
Lee Tom

TyleRomeo
Jun 22, 2004, 10:17 PM
Pardon my lameness... I've seen it everywhere, but... what does MDD stand for???

Thanks!
Lee Tom

mirror drive doors

tyler

windowsblowsass
Jun 22, 2004, 10:22 PM
ur right emac is ppc 7455
and according to apple museum
mdd
Logic Board:
Processor: PowerPC 7455

daveg5
Jun 22, 2004, 10:37 PM
The processor in the singe and dual G4's, have either 1MB or 2MB L3 cache per processor and 4 memory slots, and upgradeable agp card.
I thought they were keeping the Dual G4's as long as people buy them, because it is a high profit, although low volume item, and the only OS9 booting Mac available. (some people need that).