Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phiberoptik957

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2004
How can I determine if I have a backlit keyboard on my 15in powerbook? Is there a program that can turn the backlight on/off? Any help will be appricitated.

ToastCabbit

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2004
Centre College
I don't know this for sure, not being an AL 15" pb owner, but have you checked under System Profiler? It's possible it might make a mention of it there. If not, I would imagine there would be something under the Keyboard section of System Preferences.

And if all else fails...stick it in a room with no lights on. If it glows, you've got backlighting. :p

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
You could try turning the lights off. The ambient light sensor is located near the speakers on both sides, if you cup your hand over the speakers (and its dark enough to detect it) they should light up.

There is a brightness button on the powerbook for the keyboard, I think its keys F9 and F10, but not sure....

KingSleaze

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
So. Cal
My 15 in AlBook does have the backlit keyboard. Yes, F9 and F10 are used to adjust the brightness. Yes, under System Preferences, keyboard and mouse, is the Illuminate keyboard option if you have it. System Profiler doesn't include any mention of built in keyboard. :)

phiberoptik957

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2004
I would like to think everyone for their input. I have come to the conclusion that I do not have the backlit keyboard. Now, can I buy a backlit keyboard? and How much are they?

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Nope... If you didn't get it with the powerbook, you can't "upgrade" to it. Easiest way from point A to point B: Sell your powerbook, buy one with the backlit keyboard.

Lee Tom

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
LeeTom said:
Nope... If you didn't get it with the powerbook, you can't "upgrade" to it.

But don't worry, its more of a luxury than a necessity. I think most of us who have it only use it to brag! :)

I love mine so much! ;)

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2003
dont' worry, its pointless..i mean i ordered it as an option but it was really unnecessary.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
I almost agree...

most of the time, when i'm in a dark room or something, the light in the keyboard lights up with just enough intensity to match the screen light reflecting off the silver keys, so the end result is that with the backlight on, the keyboard is much *harder* to read. If the keys had been black, then it'd be just fine, but they're not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.