Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
glow.png

Quite clever, I think :)

Was it like this in Vista, too?

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
Nope. I love that change as well. I'm still unsure how the glow is decided, but I think it has to do with the icons color.

I would think so too. It seems to pick up the predominant icon color.

Emmanuel

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2009
Massachsetts, USA
Nope. I love that change as well. I'm still unsure how the glow is decided, but I think it has to do with the icons color.

Yeah, it was the predominant color of the icon that affected the color of the glow. FileZilla was red, Firefox was orange, etc. That's how it was when I was running both the beta and the RC.

Rodus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Midlands, UK
It always used to be PC Windows users throwing the "Fisher Price" accusation at Apple but Windows 7 really is hideous, everything, from when you start up and the ancient "choose your language" dialog boxes to the nauseating glow and round windows icon, screams "I'm a skin for Ubuntu made by a tasteless, untalented designer".

EmperorDarius

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
It always used to be PC Windows users throwing the "Fisher Price" accusation at Apple but Windows 7 really is hideous, everything, from when you start up and the ancient "choose your language" dialog boxes to the nauseating glow and round windows icon, screams "I'm a skin for Ubuntu made by a tasteless, untalented designer".

I really think that that design should be in those toy laptops for children, and not a professional OS.

Rodus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Midlands, UK
^^agree completely, XP wasn't very nice and looks very outdated now but it looks far more professional then Win7 Rainbow Brite edition which is what the RC looks like, sod it, I'm sticking with XP Pro and it's non-glowing, non-areo GUI.

EmperorDarius

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
Guys, we're using the platform that invented the 'lickable' interface. Let's not get too cocky.

Lickable or non lickable, the metal look is very professional and matches very well with the hardware too. Aero is just...just...

FisherPriceLaptop.jpeg

Broken-down version:

P9YY4a83255ed686d.jpg

Now i finally understand when they really got the inspiration. Probably Steve Ballmer really likes to play a lot with Fisher price toys.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Meh... the apple fanboyism in this thread is astonishing.

Look, both Mac OS X and Windows OS are going towards the same direction, making the OS look more sparkly while also taking up more system requirements. Personally, I now prefer Windows as my OS. Windows XP, specifically, with the classic UI to make it look like Windows 95.

Windows 95-2000/ME will be the best consumer UI ever. It looks simple, looks great, is the easiest UI to navigate with, and it takes close to nothing on the system resources. Nothing compares to it.

I sold my MacBook Pro, and am now going to buy a Windows laptop once Core i5 comes out and Windows 7 is open on the market. Lets hope that someone releases a classic UI for Windows 7, not the one that Microsoft provides that just makes everything look gray instead of Windows 95.

There was a reason why my family switched from 2000 to Mac OS X in 2003. The viruses were killer even with anti-virus software, and Mac OS X was 20x more efficient than Windows when it came to everyday speed. I was satisfied with Mac OS X until Leopard, where Apple decided to add more eyecandy just like Windows, not release a stable operating system where wireless drops out for 5 minutes every hour, and claim they have the fastest Windows machines around when they release crap drivers for all their hardware under Windows. The ability to boot both Mac and Windows made me upgrade to an Intel machine, well, not only did the graphics drivers suck, but the wireless one does too, and their is nothing I can do about it.

The way I see it, Windows 7 = Mac OS X 10.6 for my needs, so why pay an extra 500 dollars?

I love the Mac hardware, but not the Mac software. As soon as Apple releases something for my needs, I will get it.

From Windows 95-2000, Windows reigned supreme. From Mac OS X 10.2-10.4, Mac OS X reigned supreme.

wesrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
how do you manage to get those bars like that? the way I have them the open programs are in the dock, but not in a bar like the one you seem to have.
as you can probably tell, I barely use Win7, but I'm going to use it more in the coming weeks.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
You can always switch to classic if the eye candy is considered unprofessional. Personally I have no problems with it.

EmperorDarius

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
I see. You mentioned "professional". What
kind of professionals did you have in mind?

Art critics? :p

I'm not saying it's not professional of course. Simply that it's not both good to look at and professional (like OS X).

Isn't the second better than the first?;)

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
I'm not saying it's not professional of course. Simply that it's not both good to look at and professional (like OS X).

Isn't the second better than the first?;)

The use of "professional" would tend to imply that professionals use it.
Very few professionals use OS X. OS X is, essentially, an OS designed
with home users in mind (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.