PDA

View Full Version : I lack permissions to replace an application with a newer version?!?!?!

dontmatter
Jun 21, 2004, 05:31 PM
When I update an application by dragging a new copy into the applications folder, I get a message saying "this operation canot be completed because you do not have sufficient privilages for some of the items". I can throw the old one away, and then put in the new one, but it doesn't work if I just drag, and hit yes when they say, "an older version of this application already exists in this location, do you want to replace it with the one your moving?"

This doesn't happen for everything, adium was good, but firefox was not. My previous user file got corrupted, a while back, and I had to use panther install disks to make a root password, and then use that to make my current account, retrieve some stuff, etc. So, I'm on an admin account, and the other one doesn't exist anymore, but somehow it's not letting me do quite everything, and it's not giving me the chance to use my password to override it.

Help?

bousozoku
Jun 21, 2004, 05:44 PM
It looks to me as though the Firefox group permissions are wrong, so if someone else in the group tries to modify Firefox, it can't be done. Obviously, they can't anticipate every user account name out there, so they need to get the permissions right to avoid this again.

(Yes, I use my admin account, but not root.) :eek:

mikeyredk
Jun 21, 2004, 05:48 PM
i recommend just fixing the disk permissions and your set.

bousozoku
Jun 21, 2004, 07:42 PM
i recommend just fixing the disk permissions and your set.

If that worked for me, it would be a good suggestion.

mikeyredk
Jun 21, 2004, 08:30 PM
If that worked for me, it would be a good suggestion.

did it not work?

let me go through it a bit more

to repair disk permissions go to the utilities folder in the application folder. in that folder there is the disk utility program. select your hard drive then first aid, then repair permissions.

dontmatter
Jun 22, 2004, 12:23 AM
It looks to me as though the Firefox group permissions are wrong, so if someone else in the group tries to modify Firefox, it can't be done. Obviously, they can't anticipate every user account name out there, so they need to get the permissions right to avoid this again.

(Yes, I use my admin account, but not root.) :eek:

hmmm.... it's happened to a number of applications, and all recently, so it feels like this might not be quite on, as it looks like a system thing, not a firefox thing...unless you're saying the switch caused it, and some apps are going to be sensitive to this and some not? Sounds 'bout right, I suppose. thanks.

wait... where in the preferences is that? Can't find it at all...

janey
Jun 22, 2004, 02:06 AM
to repair disk permissions go to the utilities folder in the application folder. in that folder there is the disk utility program. select your hard drive then first aid, then repair permissions.
i know how to fix permissions and stuff
regardless...this happens even after you repair permissions.
I personally like to open terminal and play around with something called rm ;)
or just do it the ordinary way by authenticating with an admin name/pass.

janey
Jun 22, 2004, 02:07 AM
hmmm.... it's happened to a number of applications, and all recently, so it feels like this might not be quite on, as it looks like a system thing, not a firefox thing...unless you're saying the switch caused it, and some apps are going to be sensitive to this and some not? Sounds 'bout right, I suppose. thanks.

wait... where in the preferences is that? Can't find it at all...
the screenshot is from the get info window. (select item, press apple+i)