Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luc4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
Hi! I would like to add some RAM to my Macbook, but I have a couple of doubts. I read the guide "Understanding Intel Mac RAM", and I understood I need to know my Intel Chip Type to know the max number of GBs I can put. But... how do I find out my chip type? And, in that table, RAM limit is intended as per slot or as the sum?
Just another thing: when I buy my RAM, is it only necessary that I check if it is PC 5300? Does it matter the producer of the RAM for instance (except from a performance point of view)? Thanks!

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
How about you just tell us the specs of your computer....?

Depending on when it's from, either 3.3GB or 4GB is the max (total, not per slot). Unless it's the newest nVidia whitebook, 667mhz DDR2 laptop RAM is what you want.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
go to http://www.macsales.com and select your mac type and model and it will give you compatible RAM options. They are guaranteed compatible so you can just order them and install them with no extra work.

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
Depending on when it's from, either 3.3GB or 4GB is the max (total, not per slot).

With one exception... those with the Core Duo processor (MacBook 1,1 , aka First Gen or First Generation, May '06 model) have a limit of 2GB. Every model after that one has the Core 2 Duo processor with the limits that you mention.

Luc4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
How about you just tell us the specs of your computer....?

Depending on when it's from, either 3.3GB or 4GB is the max (total, not per slot). Unless it's the newest nVidia whitebook, 667mhz DDR2 laptop RAM is what you want.

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
SMC Version (system): 1.13f3
Serial Number (system): ---
Hardware UUID: ---
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Is this sufficient? Thank you very much!

go to http://www.macsales.com and select your mac type and model and it will give you compatible RAM options. They are guaranteed compatible so you can just order them and install them with no extra work.

That site seems to report the same information... This is what's written:

*Core Duo 2.0GHz model supports up to 2GB Memory; May 2007 MacBook 2.0GHz model supports up to 4.0GB Memory; Late 2007 'Santa Rosa' MacBook 2.0GHz Model supports up to 6.0GB of memory.

I can't understand which of these is mine :). Seems not the first one, as mine is not a Core Duo but a Core 2 Duo...
Thanks!

mcmanus7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
I'm pretty sure yours is either the late 2006 or mid 2007 macbook... As far as i Know the MacBook 2,1 identifier was only used on those two... I'm leaning towards the mid 2007 since it's a 2.0 ghz and has the 1gb ram but without knowing more about the actual specs such as HD size etc then I can't say exactly which one it is..

The Late 2006 - Mid 2007's as mentioned are upgradeable to 4GB but can only utilize 3.3GB due to hardware limitations....

So you can either run 2 X 2GB sticks or 1 1GB and 1 2GB stick...

Luc4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
HD is 80GB, RAM is 1GB and it was the intermediate version of the three macbooks non pro (I don't know if you understand). I see the age is 29 months and I bought it in Italy. Is this sufficient? Thank you very much for your help!

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
you took the words out of my mouth, been buying their Ram since 2007

I bought my first RAM from them about 6 months ago and have had absolutely no problems with it. I also love their lifetime return policy, if it goes bad, just send it back and they give you a new one.

Also, the recent re-design of their website looks really nice. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.