PDA

View Full Version : Which Wireless Router Do You Use: Airport, D-Link, Netgear, Linksys?

LaMerVipere
Jun 22, 2004, 02:41 PM
Which wireless router do most of you use?

I'll be buying one in the next week and would love to hear some feedback.

I'm leaning towards the D-Link, mostly because its cheap and I've had good experiences with D-Link devices in the past. :)

DGFan
Jun 22, 2004, 02:43 PM
I use an airport extreme basestation. I know it's expensive but it handles my printer and it's pretty.
:)

Savage Henry
Jun 22, 2004, 02:47 PM
I'm leaning towards the D-Link, mostly because its cheap and I've had good experiences with D-Link devices in the past. :)

If you've got loyalty to D-Link and you've had problems in the past then go for it.

Personally I use Aiport and it suits me.

jknight8907
Jun 22, 2004, 02:59 PM
I use Linksys and D-link. I've got a WRT54G Linksys that I leave at my grandparents house for my cable internet, another WRT54G that I leave at my grandparents other house for their satellite internet, and a D-Link AP/Repeater that I take with me to hotels and the office.

michaelrjohnson
Jun 22, 2004, 03:01 PM
Netgear.

Inexpensive, quality product, never had any problems... and hey, they look nice too! ;)

ziwi
Jun 22, 2004, 03:08 PM
I have used linksys for years actually have multiple routers to seperate my wireless and wired networks.

I have even seen a linksys and netgear work fine together - I really don't think you can go wrong with whichever you go with in the mainstream.

Thirteenva
Jun 22, 2004, 03:12 PM
Netgear!

DarkSilver2
Jun 22, 2004, 03:33 PM
Actually, I use an SMC and it works just fine with AP Extreme.

krimson
Jun 22, 2004, 03:37 PM
netgear wgr614, it's nice and small, the range is great and it was $29 new(after rebates).

Peyote
Jun 22, 2004, 03:37 PM
D-link for a few years now.

noel4r
Jun 22, 2004, 04:03 PM
I have a DLink now, it works w/ my iBook (Airport Extreme) and eMac. I tried Netgear as well, both brands work fine.

Darwin
Jun 22, 2004, 04:24 PM
I use a Airport Extreme Base Station personally but I don't see a problem getting a D-Link Router :)

Amani
Jun 22, 2004, 04:49 PM
Netgear. Got it at CompUSA for around $60. If you're just doing home based wireless networking between your laptop, the internet, and maybe one or two other computers, a third party base station is the most affordable way to go. I just couldn't see the justification for busting out $200 for Airport Extreme.

MacFan26
Jun 22, 2004, 05:50 PM
Netgear. I got it online for about $25 dollars which was great. It was real easy setup and works great so far. When I move into my apartment in August I'll be getting an Airport Express :D

Espnetboy3
Jun 22, 2004, 05:54 PM
Netgear! Router ,

jane doe
Jun 22, 2004, 06:25 PM
I use a NetGear router with a Linksys wireless access point attached.

thats a great duo

Rod Rod
Jun 22, 2004, 06:33 PM
I use a Linksys WRT54G wireless access point+router. it works great with Airport and Airport Extreme (b and g) speeds. I got it back when all I had were "b" devices, and now that I have all "g" it's even better.

512ke
Jun 22, 2004, 06:39 PM
I use a Netgear. Works extremely well with my iBook and works somewhat poorly with my wife's PC laptop. Go figure.

mrbrown
Jun 22, 2004, 06:40 PM
Microsoft's MN-700 router.

And F911 couldn't be farther from the truth... even the liberals on Slate are calling him the next Joseph Goebbels (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Goebbels) and Leni Riefensthal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leni_Riefenstahl). That 'ought to mean something when even the left is crying foul.

micvog
Jun 22, 2004, 06:47 PM
AEBS because of the built-in USB port.

ToastCabbit
Jun 22, 2004, 07:49 PM
Linksys works fine for me. The only thing I noticed with it, though, was occasionally my router in my dorm room would...stop. Not sure why. I don't think it was the linksys' fault, though. And all you had to do was unplug it, wait for 10 seconds, plug it back in, and my powerbook picked the signal right back up.

JeDiBoYTJ
Jun 22, 2004, 07:52 PM
I use a linksys wireless router, havnt had too many problems with it. works great with my powerbook, and my other PCs.

yippy
Jun 22, 2004, 08:50 PM
US Robotics, someone from the windows world (who knows is stuff) told me he tested many wireless routers and found it had the best out of box security.

pepeleuepe
Jun 22, 2004, 10:34 PM
I've used only LinkSys and never had a problem. As for security, the LinkSys have MAC address filtering, which is all the security I've ever used. Never had a problem with it.

Jalexster
Jun 22, 2004, 10:51 PM
I'm using a D-Link DI-624.
Works perfectly with my iBook over 802.11g, and I've got MAC filtering set up, so it's secure. No WPA support, only WEP 128, but I can live with it.

Phat_Pat
Jun 22, 2004, 11:16 PM
i got a Linksys it works great with my emac :D

furrina
Jun 23, 2004, 12:10 AM
Whatever the neighbors are using :D .

j/k.

neoelectronaut
Jun 23, 2004, 12:22 AM
I have a D-Link model DI-514 router, but I don't use the wireless capabilities, the other 2 PCs in my house do. I'm connected with a hardline to the router.

blackpeter
Jun 23, 2004, 01:01 AM
I was happy with my Linksys until I tried to upgrade the firmware. It's not possible on a Mac. I'll have to wait until I get to a Windows computer to perform this basic function.

My advice: Wait until after the WWDC.

Why? Because I'd be darn surprised if Apple didn't drop the price of their regular Base Stations to $150/$200 (with Express at $130).

It's still more expensive than the alternatives, but you get wireless printer sharing, WPA, WDS, and a slick admin utility. I think it's worth the extra dough if they drop the price a little.

Counterfit
Jun 23, 2004, 01:44 AM
I've been using a Linksys WRT54G since I got it for Christmas. Works well, but it seems to reboot itself once every two weeks or so. That's much better than my (former) roommate's 802.11b linksys router. It seemed to die multiple times per day.

mrbrown: try to keep politically sensitive posts in the appropriate forum. ;)

Rod Rod
Jun 23, 2004, 03:31 AM
I was happy with my Linksys until I tried to upgrade the firmware. It's not possible on a Mac. I'll have to wait until I get to a Windows computer to perform this basic function.

you can update your Linksys' firmware with your Mac. I've done it with my Macs. just go to www.linksys.com then click the "support" tab. on the next page, click "technical support." then, click "product pages." select "driver firmware" from the pulldown menu. click "search." select your Linksys product from the list, and under operating system, select "other." on the next page, select the firmware and download it.

then, get into your web-based administration utility. http://192.168.1.1 and click the "administration" tab. you'll see a tab under it that says "firmware upgrade." here, select the file you just downloaded (the firmware updater), after you click "browse." then click "upgrade."

I hope you're happy with your Linksys again! :)

garyuk
Jun 23, 2004, 06:59 AM
I dont like the Airport's for Routers as they dont allow you to do NAT without the DHCP server being on, which is very restrictive and you couldn't until recently administer them with a Windows/Linux PC, but the backup modem feature is excellent, I put my BTOpenworld details in and when the internet went down it dialled up.

I have also used a Linksys BFSR11 which is a VERY bad router, had about 6 of them and they are the most unreliable router i have come across, config pages wont load up, controllers wont detect network speed, router hangs randomly you name it, plus they load it with some AOL rubbish that i wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

I have also used a Netgear with 108mbps Wireless / 4 Port Switch which has been solid as a rock, up for about 3 months with no downtime at all allows incoming VPN Services, very happy but I wanted something with more flexibility so have built a FreeBSD box using IPFW rules to do routing.

neut
Jun 23, 2004, 08:01 AM
APEBS; $140 for barely used spaceship. works wonderfully and looks awesome. :)

peace.

aricher
Jun 23, 2004, 09:00 AM
Netgear WGT624 - awesome - flawless performance - it was about $75 after rebate

Elmy
Jun 23, 2004, 10:06 AM
Currently using the D-Link DWL-2000AP access point with 54g, and having no problems whatsoever.

What I have had problems with is the DWL-G650 54g PCMCIA cards, the D-Link drivers are rubbish. Luckily Atheros, the chipset maker releases its own drivers which work superbly, probably better than my Apple Airport Extreme!

Presumably you'll be using Apple Extreme built-in to your laptops, so you won't have this problem :)

blackpeter
Jun 23, 2004, 10:24 AM
then, get into your web-based administration utility. http://192.168.1.1 and click the "administration" tab. you'll see a tab under it that says "firmware upgrade." here, select the file you just downloaded (the firmware updater), after you click "browse." then click "upgrade."

I hope you're happy with your Linksys again! :)

I did this, but I always get the message: "incorrect image file." If you Google the issue, you'll see that most OS X users have this problem.

Thanks for trying to help though!

ipacmm
Jun 23, 2004, 11:05 AM
Airport Extreme

Rod Rod
Jun 23, 2004, 11:36 AM
I did this, but I always get the message: "incorrect image file." If you Google the issue, you'll see that most OS X users have this problem.

Thanks for trying to help though!

you're welcome. maybe out of the three files that come up, you need to select another one.

it works for me, and I'm using OS X.

when you upgrade the firmware you should have a wired connection to the router.

Santiago
Jun 23, 2004, 02:12 PM
Every experience I've had with D-Link is that they're absolute crap. There's a reason they cost a third less than other company's products. The access points I used two years ago had poor signals and did not hand off roaming signals from one to another properly as described in the manual, and had a horrible Windows-only configuration program. The wireless router we used at home had all sorts of problems, including bugs with Linksys (i.e. AirPort) cards that required downgrading the firmware for over a year until it was fixed and a DHCP server that would periodically go berserk and take down the wired section of the network as well. It worked marginally better after I installed a third-party's firmware eventually. Linksys, on the other hand, is good stuff.

Billicus
Jun 23, 2004, 02:16 PM
I use an Airport Extreme Base Station, mostly because of it's integration with the Macintosh Operating System. However, all I need is the Airport Express because I don't have 10+ users, just 2. Oh well... :rolleyes:

jywv8
Jun 23, 2004, 02:23 PM
I've had a D-Link DI-614+ for over a year, and I like it just fine. No problems. Works great with my G5 and my Win2K Dell laptop. Easy to administer. I always get a good signal (medium-sized apartment).

vwguy
Jun 23, 2004, 02:28 PM
I have both Netgear and Linksys at two different locations and they are working pretty good. I have instant detection of Netgear router everytime and I can use my powerbook in my bedroom three floors down from where it is located. As for the Linksys router, I do have to shut it off and turn it back on for my powerbook to detect it on the first time and it works fine so far.

crowdaddy
Jun 23, 2004, 02:52 PM
I use the Linksys-G as well, its great, depending on what PCI card or notebook card you have, i have tried a variety of cards and have gotten different results with all of them

slipper
Jun 24, 2004, 01:28 AM
i have an AEBS w/ modem and it was defective. i got it replaced with anoter new unit and that was defective. im now getting any BUT apple!

it seems like the other brands have no problem linking up with macs, right?

Miner Willy
Jun 24, 2004, 01:49 AM
I've been using a D-Link 614+ for a couple of years now and it's great! I can get half way down the street before I loose the signal and I certainly have no probs over the four storeys of my solid stone house. The router is in the attic and I can surf at full speed in the cellar... Firewall is a pain to set up though but I suspect they all are .

blackpeter
Jun 24, 2004, 02:13 AM
you're welcome. maybe out of the three files that come up, you need to select another one.

it works for me, and I'm using OS X.

when you upgrade the firmware you should have a wired connection to the router.

I went back to their website and found that since I last tried to upgrade, they've released a different version of the firmware. I downloaded it and had no problem loading it on my router.

Very happy with the improvements they've made and am happy to say that all is well in the land of Linksys!

Rod Rod
Jun 24, 2004, 03:12 AM
I went back to their website and found that since I last tried to upgrade, they've released a different version of the firmware. I downloaded it and had no problem loading it on my router.

Very happy with the improvements they've made and am happy to say that all is well in the land of Linksys!

great, I'm glad to hear it works now and thanks for the update!

Omey
Jun 25, 2004, 07:46 PM
Asanté. Not a name brand but it works and it was cheep. Its not all that great though, the security is not that good. and the builtin webpage statistic thing does not update. Other than that it gets the job done for a ibook, some pc, and my pb.

MoparShaha
Jun 25, 2004, 08:34 PM
Linksys WAP54G. I've been very pleased with its performance.