PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated G4 for iTunes streaming to Apple TV?

aced411
Aug 16, 2009, 09:53 AM
The hard drive died on my 11 month old imac. Fortunately it was still under warranty. I attribute the failure to handbraking movies 24/7 and disabling sleep (for streaming to apple TV). The hard drive was spinning non stop. This got me to thinking..... it would be cool to pick up an old G4 tower dedicated for itunes and streaming. That way if the hard drive crashes, I can just swap it out easily with another. My question is can it handle it? Say I have a 720p movie. Will the G4 choke streaming it to the Apple TV? I can get a 1Ghz for like $100.

I'm sure it wouldn't be ideal for handbrake, but once we're done with our movie collection we don't planning on doing it very often.

natebookpro
Aug 16, 2009, 11:04 AM
The hard drive died on my 11 month old imac. Fortunately it was still under warranty. I attribute the failure to handbraking movies 24/7 and disabling sleep (for streaming to apple TV). The hard drive was spinning non stop. This got me to thinking..... it would be cool to pick up an old G4 tower dedicated for itunes and streaming. That way if the hard drive crashes, I can just swap it out easily with another. My question is can it handle it? Say I have a 720p movie. Will the G4 choke streaming it to the Apple TV? I can get a 1Ghz for like $100.

I'm sure it wouldn't be ideal for handbrake, but once we're done with our movie collection we don't planning on doing it very often.

I have a Powermac G4 dual 867 w/ 1.25gb ram and it works fine for HD tv shows from iTunes. For a 100 bucks I'd give it a shot...

aced411
Aug 16, 2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks, although I'm willing to bet dual 867mhz is quite a bit faster than a single 1ghz

roidy
Aug 16, 2009, 12:44 PM
For streaming files to another device cpu power is not that important because the the cpu isn't playing or decoding the file all its doing is sending it across the network, it`s the device on the other end eg the AppleTV that does all the heavy decoding and playing of the file.

I`ve used my 1Ghz Atom netbook to stream HD content to my AppleTV and the cpu usage hardly moves. Most network storage devices have really low spec processors because the processor hardly gets used, it`s all about the network speed. As long as it meets the minimum specs for iTunes to run (don`t worry about iTunes being able to play the files because it will never have to) I can't see a problem.

aced411
Aug 16, 2009, 01:19 PM
I figured, but just making sure. Thanks I'll probably give it a shot

MacHappytjg
Aug 16, 2009, 02:23 PM
I figured, but just making sure. Thanks I'll probably give it a shot

I had a 733mhz powermac for a week doing that but found i didnt need the computer in general and just sold it but hell i got it for free :D

natebookpro
Aug 16, 2009, 02:24 PM
Thanks, although I'm willing to bet dual 867mhz is quite a bit faster than a single 1ghz

True, but my CPU utilization is only like 15% streamin to atv. Handbrake ... Haha 24-36 hrs for a movie.

Shake 'n' Bake
Aug 16, 2009, 02:28 PM
Check out this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=760268) guide. I assume you know how to add the :apple:TV to iTunes. If not, Google it.

aced411
Aug 18, 2009, 08:09 AM
Ended up finding a dual 1ghz tower and apple lcd for only $145 (ok, shipping jacked the price up a but). Should get it in about a week.

Shake 'n' Bake
Aug 18, 2009, 08:30 AM
Ended up finding a dual 1ghz tower and apple lcd for only $145 (ok, shipping jacked the price up a but). Should get it in about a week.

Excellent. I found a dual 1 GHz that wouldn't start for $100 shipped once. I didn't get it because I was offered a 733 MHz Digital Audio for free.

iowamensan
Aug 18, 2009, 09:07 AM
I have a 400 Mhz G4 PowerMac doing my streaming... it can't even play the movies on the computer, but streams them to the :apple:TV just fine.

Shake 'n' Bake
Aug 18, 2009, 09:11 AM
I have a 400 Mhz G4 PowerMac doing my streaming... it can't even play the movies on the computer, but streams them to the :apple:TV just fine.

My 733 MHz with a massive 1 GB RAM chokes on most videos I try to play on it.

MacHappytjg
Aug 18, 2009, 01:44 PM
My 733 MHz with a massive 1 GB RAM chokes on most videos I try to play on it.

Eh my 733 with 1gb of ram had a small choke up once in a movie then it played fine it also had a 128mb video card.

Shake 'n' Bake
Aug 18, 2009, 02:01 PM
Eh my 733 with 1gb of ram had a small choke up once in a movie then it played fine it also had a 128mb video card.

Mine currently has the stock nVidia GeForce2 MX. That's 32 MB VRAM. I'm going to replace it ASAP.