PDA

View Full Version : Where is "System Preferences" hiding?

Scotjock
Aug 16, 2009, 01:01 PM
Suddenly I cant pull up my System Preferences. I click and nothing happens. I need to change my password (cuz my other half is accessing my computer remotely and that needs to stop.):mad: Any suggestions?

r.j.s
Aug 16, 2009, 01:04 PM
Restart.

IgnatiusTheKing
Aug 16, 2009, 01:16 PM
System Preferences is located in the Applications folder. If you're clicking the icon in the dock and it's not opening, you can try going directly to the application, but your best bet is to restart.

Scotjock
Aug 16, 2009, 01:19 PM
i.e. just did a restart and it still wont come up!:confused:

I see the file [in the Applications folder] - I double click and it goes like a 'ghost open' then nothing!

stoconnell
Aug 16, 2009, 01:56 PM
It could be a permissions issue. You might consider firing up the Disk Utility and running repair permissions on your disk. Also, you might look to see if there are any telling error messages in /var/log/system.log from the application (or use the Console.app utility).

Scotjock
Aug 16, 2009, 02:13 PM
will post again if still no luck!:D

stoconnell
Aug 16, 2009, 02:52 PM
will post again if still no luck!:D

actually, do post again either way as this will help others that might find themselves in this situation.

Scotjock
Aug 16, 2009, 03:49 PM
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpLoad" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "sbin/umount" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/quota" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/Resources/load_webdav" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/pppd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Cynicalone
Aug 16, 2009, 04:27 PM
Okay sometimes it's the simple things...

Does it show System Preferences in the Menu Bar (top of the screen)?
Can you click on View and select Show All Preferences?
Or just push Command L

stoconnell
Aug 16, 2009, 04:44 PM
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpLoad" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "sbin/umount" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/quota" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/Resources/load_webdav" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/pppd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

The repair permissions doesn't mess with files that are SUID (setuid). Any change in behavior?

NXTMIKE
Aug 16, 2009, 10:31 PM
I had this problem until I updated to 10.5.8

Make sure you're running the latest version of Leopard:)