PDA

View Full Version : Great AppleStore Experience/Bad Phone Experience

aricher
Jun 23, 2004, 04:19 PM
I've been having serious problems with my 40 GB iPod that I bought in November - menus freezing, songs skipping and button inactivity. I tried reformatting it several times - running disk tools, etc - nothing could fix it. Since my iPod was still under the 1 yr warranty I took it into the local AppleStore, brought it to the "Genius"/repair counter told the "Genius" my problems, he looked at it, reached into a drawer and produced a brand new in-box iPod for me. Now that's what I call customer service!

On the other hand, I had a somewhat annoying Apple customer service experience last Friday. I got a call at home around 6 pm CDT from an Apple sales rep. They saw that I had reigstered my (and my wife's) iPods but had not purchased AppleCare. he tried and tried to sell me on AppleCare for the iPods. I just kept shooting him down - "You know, a battery replacement itself pays for the service." he said "Well," I said, "I replaced the one in my 5 GB iPod myself for less than the cost of AppleCare so why would I want it?" Silence. He then tried to sell me on the "piece of mind" aspect. He told me that he saw I have my PowerBook covered and have used AppleCare twice since December. I explained that the PowerBook is a different animal from the iPod and that I had no desire to get the AppleCare for the iPod. He then asked if I'd be willing to do a short phone survey - I told him I didn't have the time but thanks for the call.

Oh well, he was just doing his job.