PDA

View Full Version : 32 GB iPhone 3GS Ranks as Top Selling Mobile Phone in Japan in July

MacRumors
Aug 17, 2009, 01:11 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/17/32-gb-iphone-3gs-ranks-as-top-selling-mobile-phone-in-japan-in-july/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/08/17/140329-gfkjapanphonesjuly2009.jpg

Image from Electronista
Electronista reports (http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/08/17/iphone.3gs.tops.in.japan/) on data from marketing research firm GfK Japan (http://www.gfkjpn.co.jp/) placing the 32 GB iPhone 3GS ranking as the top selling mobile phone in Japan for the month of July. The 16 GB iPhone 3GS model claimed the ninth spot in the rankings. As the report notes, the achievement is particularly notable given the difficulties foreign phones typically have in penetrating the Japanese market.Making the top of the chart is a potential watershed for American phones in the country as a whole. While the iPhone 3G also saw strong sales in the country when it launched over a year ago on SoftBank and hurt rival carriers like KDDI and NTT DoCoMo, it struggled to unseat locally-made handsets. The Japanese market is known to be too insular and often excludes foreign phones in favor of domestics that are complicated but support many Japan-specific features like 1Seg digital TV broadcasts or FeliCa wireless payments.The iPhone 3GS launched in Japan on June 26th.

Article Link: 32 GB iPhone 3GS Ranks as Top Selling Mobile Phone in Japan in July (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/17/32-gb-iphone-3gs-ranks-as-top-selling-mobile-phone-in-japan-in-july/)

ProwlingTiger
Aug 17, 2009, 01:18 PM
Good to hear that the iPhone is doing well in Japan, given the vast assortment of technology that customers have available over there.

jav6454
Aug 17, 2009, 01:29 PM
I bet Japan has those blessed and widely available 7.2Mb/s network speeds.

kasei
Aug 17, 2009, 01:35 PM
I will find out how fast their data feed is next week. I will fire up my iPhone 3GS while I am there.

samab
Aug 17, 2009, 01:40 PM
It's not that hard to be number 1 in these rankings in Japan:

(1) new handset models come and go every 3-4 months;
(2) all the handsets are basically carrier exclusives --- so the sales numbers are all spread out.

Imagine that AT&T RAZR, T-Mobile RAZR, Verizon RAZR and Sprint RAZR are counted separately --- it's a lot easier to beat that.

iPhone lost to Blackberry Curve in the US --- because the Curve is available on all 4 carriers and the Curve is counted as a single model.

finnns2000
Aug 17, 2009, 01:55 PM
never would guess this, in Japan. i saw maybe 3 iPhones last time i went.

iphones4evry1
Aug 17, 2009, 01:58 PM
Two things:

1) The Japanese are no longer ahead of us with their "fancy gadgets" when it comes to mobile phones. (we are now equals)

2) With the huge U.S. Trade deficits, it's about time we came up with something that the rest if the world wants to buy (popular consumer products; I know we sell a lot of other things).

-typed on iPhone, please excuse any typos

MacFly123
Aug 17, 2009, 02:23 PM
Two things:

1) The Japanese are no longer ahead of us with their "fancy gadgets" when it comes to mobile phones. (we are now equals)

2) With the huge U.S. Trade deficits, it's about time we came up with something that the rest if the world wants to buy (popular consumer products; I know we sell a lot of other things).

The iPhone is far ahead of the phones in Japan just as it is here as far as usability and the interaction and GUI experience. That is why it is doing so well there.

I am so tired of hearing people say the iPhone is a failure in Japan and asia when it is not at all. Yes even their gadet designs and UIs suck compared to the iPhone! :p

samab
Aug 17, 2009, 02:30 PM
The iPhone is far ahead of the phones in Japan just as it is here as far as usability and the interaction and GUI experience. That is why it is doing so well there.

I am so tired of hearing people say the iPhone is a failure in Japan and asia when it is not at all. Yes even their gadet designs and UIs suck compared to the iPhone! :p

By the same token, hitting number 1 for a single week or a month in Japan --- ain't the success many people stated either.

iPhone would have beaten the Blackberry Curve in the US --- if we counted the Curve separately by the individual carriers.

Every single cell phone model in Japan is a carrier exclusive model --- makes the threshold for hitting number 1 sales on the chart for a single week or a month very easy.

Doctor Q
Aug 17, 2009, 02:41 PM
It's a pretty good accomplishment, but the question remains whether the iPhone will stay high on this list over time, or whether the iPhone had a moment of glory and will quickly be supplanted by other models.

Evangelion
Aug 17, 2009, 02:50 PM
Two things:

um, since the iPhone is made in China, it does not help US trade-deficit at all. All those sold iPhones increase Chinas exports, not USA's.

mtvfyrfytr
Aug 17, 2009, 02:54 PM
By the same token, hitting number 1 for a single week or a month in Japan --- ain't the success many people stated either.

iPhone would have beaten the Blackberry Curve in the US --- if we counted the Curve separately by the individual carriers.

Every single cell phone model in Japan is a carrier exclusive model --- makes the threshold for hitting number 1 sales on the chart for a single week or a month very easy.

The threshold may be "very easy", but this is still a big accomplishment for a U.S. company in Japan.

str1f3
Aug 17, 2009, 03:52 PM

I think they are pretty legitimate, just not ideal. The iPhone is not on the dominant carrier in Japan which says something. It is also pretty important considering that Japanese phones are more catered to the their users. At the same time it's also the reason why Japanese cell makers have struggled outside their home market.

While the Japanese are eons ahead of us in mainstream tech, they are horrible at the UI and design. I would hope that both the US and Japan could learn from each other and make the world a better place in terms of technology adoption.

NewGenAdam
Aug 17, 2009, 04:09 PM
um, since the iPhone is made in China, it does not help US trade-deficit at all. All those sold iPhones increase Chinas exports, not USA's.

Let's see, yes
all iPhones contribute to China's exports
but no.
All iPhones also contribute to the USA's since the phone is an American product, sold abroad with money coming in...

samab
Aug 17, 2009, 04:14 PM
I think they are pretty legitimate, just not ideal. The iPhone is not on the dominant carrier in Japan which says something. It is also pretty important considering that Japanese phones are more catered to the their users. At the same time it's also the reason why Japanese cell makers have struggled outside their home market.

While the Japanese are eons ahead of us in mainstream tech, they are horrible at the UI and design. I would hope that both the US and Japan could learn from each other and make the world a better place in terms of technology adoption.

I never claimed that they are not legitimate.

But if you want to be picky about it --- this one is from a marketing survey which is a lot more less legitimate than the story about the iphone being number 1 for the first couple of weeks of the 3GS launch in Japan a few weeks ago. That older story got their ranking data from live sales figures from Point of Sales scanning.

mavis
Aug 17, 2009, 04:32 PM
Yup, but they've started throttling heavy users. :rolleyes:

never would guess this, in Japan. i saw maybe 3 iPhones last time i went.Having owned an iPhone since the day (the hour!) they were released in Japan last year, I've always noticed other iPhone around me on the train, in public, etc. I can tell you this: since the 3GS launched, the number of iPhones I see on a daily basis has skyrocketed! I used to see one or two a week (if that!) whereas I now see three or four a day. My wife says it's the same on her commute, as well. I think the iPhone is doing quite well in Japan, finally.

djdjek
Aug 17, 2009, 04:37 PM
I'm glad the iPhone 3Gs is doing great in Japan. :apple:

mavis
Aug 17, 2009, 05:52 PM
I'm glad the iPhone 3Gs is doing great in Japan. :apple:Indeed - you and me both. 1) The iPhone's success virtually guarantees Japanese carriers' continued interest in the platform (meaning I'll be able to be buy future iterations of the device because it will continue to be sold here!) and 2) it will force Japanese manufacturers to finally modernize/improve their horrid UIs a bit. The hardware is impressive but the user interface on a lot of these Japanese phones looks like it was designed by someone with about as much expertise as my two year old. Actually, that's not really fair, because my two year old has spent enough time with my iPhone to know what an intuitive, well-designed UI looks like. He could probably do a better job designing one - in his sleep - than most of the "engineers" at the big Japanese phone makers. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the iPhone's success in Japan is a huge win for everyone, IMO. :)

markredf150
Aug 17, 2009, 06:29 PM
I guess in Japan they don't like blackberries...haha

itou
Aug 17, 2009, 06:58 PM
Two things:

1. no we aren't equal. can your iphone read barcodes, watch streaming television, pay, have a 10MP camera, conduct solar charging, send emoticons, MMS, video chat, and be waterproof at the same time? if not, then we aren't equal.

2. the iphone is popular in japan not because it is better than what we have in japan. it is the mentality that because it is foreign and that it is from apple. because it is different from what we are accustomed to, we are interested in it and buy it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_branding

itou
Aug 17, 2009, 07:00 PM

we don't like it because it's ugly.
wide, long, display wide open, with small buttons. what's to like? if it's e-mail, we've had push e-mail for two decades.

samab
Aug 17, 2009, 07:27 PM
Anyway, the iPhone's success in Japan is a huge win for everyone, IMO. :)

Winning a week or a month is very far from being a real success.

You live in Japan so you know from personal experience the vast number of cell phone models being launched every few months. For all we know, selling 10000 units may be enough to be number 1 in Japan for a week.

TitoC
Aug 17, 2009, 09:06 PM
1. no we aren't equal. can your iphone read barcodes, watch streaming television, pay, have a 10MP camera, conduct solar charging, send emoticons, MMS, video chat, and be waterproof at the same time? if not, then we aren't equal.

2. the iphone is popular in japan not because it is better than what we have in japan. it is the mentality that because it is foreign and that it is from apple. because it is different from what we are accustomed to, we are interested in it and buy it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_branding

And I am sure that there are phones that also make real good toast and pay your taxes and brush your teeth, but that is not what makes it (I believe) a better phone than most of what I have seen in Japan - and I have seen a lot. it is the GUI. GRAPHICAL USER INTERFACE. The OS. Not all the other bells and whistles (granted, a 10 Mp camera is definitely a plus). But there is a HUGE difference between a phone that can also open your beer bottle to one that is a joy to use and interact with. I can't tell you how many phones (including many while I was in Japan) that had god-awful GUIs. One took me almost 12 minutes to find out how to turn the volume down. 12 minutes! For the volume control! And that is saying a lot considering as a designer, GUI is my specialty. If it wasn't my friends phone, I would have tossed in under a car in a second. Others were just awful to look at.

Plus, I had seen phones that had apps that simply did not work or if they did, they did not work well.

Now don't get me wrong, there were lots and lots of really cool phones out there. But there is much more I believe to what is going on in Japan than the iPhone being a "foreign" item that makes it #1. Much more.

RHDJapan
Aug 17, 2009, 09:07 PM

Absolutely. When you order from Japan apple store they ship directly from Taiwan. There will be no boost for the US economy on this one i fear.

"Now don't get me wrong, there were lots and lots of really cool phones out there. But there is much more I believe to what is going on in Japan than the iPhone being a "foreign" item that makes it #1. Much more."

I would disagree. The whole softbank marketing model is based on a foreign image. It is so because there is a profound level of admiration and desire for foreign that is socially ingrained in the social consciousness of Japan. Iphone is the new fad and when the two year contract are up and Docomo has mastered the art of making the iphone os "Japanese" it will be another story.

A GUI is much easier i believe to improve than it is to improve the hardware and technology that make the physical phone. Its just a matter of time now for docomo to get things together and provide something that will once again dominate the market. The iphone will not last for the fundamentals of their model. You cant have a walmart style cookie cutter one size fits all product succeed locally against another product that has been tailored to meet the specific needs of a market in Japan.

eastercat
Aug 17, 2009, 09:13 PM
The good thing about the iPhone reaching the top position is that it shows some of the consumers care about usability more than they care about useless features like emoticons.
While the iPhone may not have the features listed by itou, it does have other features that those phones don't have.
The difference is whether you place a higher priority on what the iPhone offers or what a typical Japanese phone offers.

samab
Aug 17, 2009, 11:03 PM
The good thing about the iPhone reaching the top position is that it shows some of the consumers care about usability more than they care about useless features like emoticons.

Many people buy a cell phone, because it's pink.

jmann
Aug 17, 2009, 11:06 PM
Are there very many popular phones in Japan that come from other countries?

What I hate more than anything, is when I hear clueless people saying that the "New/Next iPhone" is already out in Japan cause they get everything sooner than us.... :rolleyes: And when they argue back with me that I'm wrong, it makes me like them even more.

RHDJapan
Aug 17, 2009, 11:10 PM
While the iPhone may not have the features listed by itou, it does have other features that those phones don't have.
The difference is whether you place a higher priority on what the iPhone offers or what a typical Japanese phone offers.

Id have to disagree as of the few Japanese users i know of, they all said they had no idea about the emoji problems. being that emoji has been standard for a very long time here. its just accepted that you would get emoji in a phone that is sold in this day and age in Japan.

sushi
Aug 17, 2009, 11:13 PM
Yes, the cell data network is very nice here in Japan.

1) The Japanese are no longer ahead of us with their "fancy gadgets" when it comes to mobile phones. (we are now equals)s
Not true.

As itou explains:

can your iphone read barcodes, watch streaming television, pay, have a 10MP camera, conduct solar charging, send emoticons, MMS, video chat, and be waterproof at the same time? if not, then we aren't equal.
But the iPhone's GUI interface is way ahead of most current Japanese headsets. IMHO, most Japanese headsets are a pain to use - too many submenus to navigate around.

it will force Japanese manufacturers to finally modernize/improve their horrid UIs a bit. The hardware is impressive but the user interface on a lot of these Japanese phones looks like it was designed by someone with about as much expertise as my two year old. Actually, that's not really fair, because my two year old has spent enough time with my iPhone to know what an intuitive, well-designed UI looks like. He could probably do a better job designing one - in his sleep - than most of the "engineers" at the big Japanese phone makers. :rolleyes:
I sure hope so. The Japanese GUIs are terrible for the most part -- even on their nice phones. While they have many features that the iPhone doesn't have, it's so difficult to reach and use them.

Hopefully, the iPhone will continue to be a top seller so that other companies start offering similar headsets.

leonstafford
Aug 17, 2009, 11:16 PM
Do you have a link to a post/info about the throttling??

I've enabled unsupported tethering but seldom use a laptop outside, so haven't pushed it yet, I would like to though.

Softbank were total c*nts about giving me a phone due to my gaijin credit being worthless without a credit card when other carriers gave me more expensive phones on credit immediately.

Yes, the iPhone is miles ahead of Japanese phones as it OS X is to Windows.

I had an 8MP camera phone for 6 months and gave it away for free when i got my 3GS. No full broswer, buggy OS, ***** interface, bad drivers, ***** DRM software, etc, etc.... That one was about 8man yen, so I thought it may be at least like a PDA or Nokia smart phone from years ago - NO!

Yup, but they've started throttling heavy users. :rolleyes:

Having owned an iPhone since the day (the hour!) they were released in Japan last year, I've always noticed other iPhone around me on the train, in public, etc. I can tell you this: since the 3GS launched, the number of iPhones I see on a daily basis has skyrocketed! I used to see one or two a week (if that!) whereas I now see three or four a day. My wife says it's the same on her commute, as well. I think the iPhone is doing quite well in Japan, finally.

sushi
Aug 17, 2009, 11:21 PM
Agree. Mavis, please post a link if you have information on this.

mavis
Aug 18, 2009, 02:30 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Agree. Mavis, please post a link if you have information on this.

Here's a link to the press release last May.

http://www.softbankmobile.co.jp/ja/news/press/2009/20090526_01/index.html

It took me nearly twenty minutes today to download a 14.2MB YouTube clip with full strength signal, so yeah. Throttling FTW.

mavis
Aug 18, 2009, 02:43 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

we don't like it because it's ugly.
wide, long, display wide open, with small buttons. what's to like? if it's e-mail, we've had push e-mail for two decades.

You mean push "keitai mail," don't you? Because there's a HUGE difference. In six years of living in Japan - using Sharp, Toshiba, Panasonic, and Fujitsu handsets - I wasn't able to check my personal email accounts (IMAP) using anything but a crappy browser and something like web2mail, until I bought my iPhone. So your comments about Japan having push email for decades is rather misleading. Japanese phones have had dedicated email addresses - accounts which can be accessed ONLY from the handset - for a long time, sure. But that's probably because the carriers here are too boneheaded to have implemented inter-carrier SMS. I mean, how's THAT for advanced? Here it is, 2009, and I STILL can't send SMS/MMS to my friend down the street unless he's using the same carrier as me. Yeah, real advanced. ;)

sushi
Aug 18, 2009, 02:57 AM
Here's a link to the press release last May.

http://www.softbankmobile.co.jp/ja/news/press/2009/20090526_01/index.html

It took me nearly twenty minutes today to download a 14.2MB YouTube clip with full strength signal, so yeah. Throttling FTW.
Thank you.

Let's see, 20 minutes to DL a 14.2MB video would be about 100Kbps DL speed. A far cry from 7.2Mbps advertised speed. Definite throttling.

The 64 dollar question is why? Is it because you are a heavy user? Or is it because SoftBank can't handle the bandwidth required by their current customers? Or maybe it is a little of both.

Yeah, real advanced. ;)
No, that's Japanese marketing at their finest! :p

mavis
Aug 18, 2009, 06:29 AM
Thank you.

Let's see, 20 minutes to DL a 14.2MB video would be about 100Kbps DL speed. A far cry from 7.2Mbps advertised speed. Definite throttling.

The 64 dollar question is why? Is it because you are a heavy user? Or is it because SoftBank can't handle the bandwidth required by their current customers? Or maybe it is a little of both.Well, I guess it depends on how you define "heavy user" ... I last restored my phone about 50 days ago; my usage according to the iPhone is 26.6MB sent and 601MB received. It's hard for me to accept that 627.6MB of data transfer in almost two months is "heavy" when people here at MR are worried about 2 and 3 and 5 gigabyte caps. :rolleyes:

No, that's Japanese marketing at their finest! :pIndeed. What's amazing is that people still swallow it, hook, line, and sinker. People ooh and aah about the great 7.2Mbps network over here, not realizing that we're all throttled - capped at practically dial-up speeds. Or the wondrous Japanese phones that "read barcodes, watch streaming television, pay, have a 10MP camera, conduct solar charging, send emoticons, MMS, video chat, and be waterproof at the same time" but have such a horribly unintuitive UI that they have to ship with a 500+ page instruction manual that requires a PhD to decipher.

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. At least Japanese people are finally getting to see what a difference decent software can make. As I said earlier, it should really help improve things over here. :)

leonstafford
Aug 18, 2009, 07:26 AM
In terms of it improving things here, we agree it's going to take more than a new phone and a do-over of the education system, right? :D

I saw a device just before I got my 3GS and I was thinking of pairing it with an iPod Touch to give me same functionality.

It's a battery operated wifi access point. Advertised as being able to work with the e-mobile type devices, so you would say plug it into a USB eMobile thingy which is on the 7.2Mbps, and stick it in your pocket, then you would have 7.2Mbps all you can use Wi-Fi anywhere you get coverage with eMobile ***. This method would also allow Skype calls anywhere as the phone would think it's on Wi-Fi, which technically it is.

The device wasn't especially expensive, maybe 5,000yen or so. Then an unlimited data plan with eMobile is cheap now, right? Like 8,000 yen or less?

I would use Skype-out for calls which I hardly make and get a number so people can just call me on it. Oh, but no push for Skype calls right? hmmm...

Not perfect, but maybe paired with a super super cheap Jap phone with one of the better coverage carriers would be a sweet setup. And no need to worry about being suddenly billed a *****load for "illegal" tethering if they catch on to it...

***(Can't be worse than Shitbank's coverage and dreadful reception (AU was great reception, apparently Docomo is the best and so a lot of business guys here get it even if just for receiving important calls)

Well, I guess it depends on how you define "heavy user" ... I last restored my phone about 50 days ago; my usage according to the iPhone is 26.6MB sent and 601MB received. It's hard for me to accept that 627.6MB of data transfer in almost two months is "heavy" when people here at MR are worried about 2 and 3 and 5 gigabyte caps. :rolleyes:

Indeed. What's amazing is that people still swallow it, hook, line, and sinker. People ooh and aah about the great 7.2Mbps network over here, not realizing that we're all throttled - capped at practically dial-up speeds. Or the wondrous Japanese phones that "read barcodes, watch streaming television, pay, have a 10MP camera, conduct solar charging, send emoticons, MMS, video chat, and be waterproof at the same time" but have such a horribly unintuitive UI that they have to ship with a 500+ page instruction manual that requires a PhD to decipher.

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. At least Japanese people are finally getting to see what a difference decent software can make. As I said earlier, it should really help improve things over here. :)

iPhone 62S
Aug 18, 2009, 07:30 AM
Must be full of very rich people... But, TBH, new stuff comes out in Japan all the time and people always rush to get the latest tech. It's like a country full of me.

MWPULSE
Aug 18, 2009, 08:41 AM

This is good news especially seeing as the iPhone is coming out in china soon as well. Although. Just a guess here, but most people know about the iPhone because of the iPod which we know is popular.

sushi
Aug 18, 2009, 10:28 AM
Well, I guess it depends on how you define "heavy user" ... I last restored my phone about 50 days ago; my usage according to the iPhone is 26.6MB sent and 601MB received. It's hard for me to accept that 627.6MB of data transfer in almost two months is "heavy" when people here at MR are worried about 2 and 3 and 5 gigabyte caps. :rolleyes:
That seems light to me.

I wonder if they know that you Jailbreaked your iPhone and believe that you are tethering?

Indeed. What's amazing is that people still swallow it, hook, line, and sinker.<snip>
Snort. So true.

This evening I visited my local Yodobashi Camera shop to look at cell phones. So many <hard to use> models are available from the big three (DoCoMo, AU and SoftBank). I was actually surprised at how expensive many models were. The iPhone is comparatively priced it seems.

This (http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/product/foma/prime/f09a/features.html) new DoCoMo model tickled me. Slide out keyboard. No biggie. But also a screen that rotates. One of the first, if not the first model to do that. Cool concept, but probably wouldn't last long in my hands.

It's a battery operated wifi access point. Advertised as being able to work with the e-mobile type devices, so you would say plug it into a USB eMobile thingy which is on the 7.2Mbps, and stick it in your pocket, then you would have 7.2Mbps all you can use Wi-Fi anywhere you get coverage with eMobile ***. This method would also allow Skype calls anywhere as the phone would think it's on Wi-Fi, which technically it is.

The device wasn't especially expensive, maybe 5,000yen or so. Then an unlimited data plan with eMobile is cheap now, right? Like 8,000 yen or less?

I would use Skype-out for calls which I hardly make and get a number so people can just call me on it. Oh, but no push for Skype calls right? hmmm...
I was looking at getting one of those devices, or just a USB cell modem, with eMobile. Right now they have a promotion going on that has a cap of 4,980 yen max for what they call unlimited data.

At my local Yodobashi Camera store, they had over 10 Netbook computers that you could get for 100 yen if you sign up for their service for 2 years. The deal is very tempting if you want a NetBook with cell Internet access.

Some of their USB cell modems are small like this one. (http://emobile.jp/products/hw/d23hw/) Very convenient to carry with you.

EMOBILE coverage and customer base seems to be growing these days. My communication buddies keep mentioning LTE coming on board next year.

On a side note, in 5-10 years from now I wonder how many Japanese will still have a land line phone? Probably not many.

***(Can't be worse than Shitbank's coverage and dreadful reception (AU was great reception, apparently Docomo is the best and so a lot of business guys here get it even if just for receiving important calls)
NTT DoCoMo has the best cell phone network by far. For example, in the past three years, they've more than doubled the number of cell antennas from 30,000 to almost 70,000.

NTT East and NTT West provide the optical fiber support to other companies like SoftBank.

Must be full of very rich people... But, TBH, new stuff comes out in Japan all the time and people always rush to get the latest tech. It's like a country full of me.
I have some Japanese friends who, before the current economic downturn, changed their cell phones about as often as I changed my underware! :p

Seriously, some would change each time a new version of their phone was released which is usually every 6 months. in some cases, they changed more often as they hopped from provider to provider to take advantage of the latest switching promotion.

itou
Aug 18, 2009, 01:07 PM

You mean push "keitai mail," don't you? Because there's a HUGE difference. In six years of living in Japan - using Sharp, Toshiba, Panasonic, and Fujitsu handsets - I wasn't able to check my personal email accounts (IMAP) using anything but a crappy browser and something like web2mail, until I bought my iPhone. So your comments about Japan having push email for decades is rather misleading. Japanese phones have had dedicated email addresses - accounts which can be accessed ONLY from the handset - for a long time, sure. But that's probably because the carriers here are too boneheaded to have implemented inter-carrier SMS. I mean, how's THAT for advanced? Here it is, 2009, and I STILL can't send SMS/MMS to my friend down the street unless he's using the same carrier as me. Yeah, real advanced. ;)

we've had e-mail accounts attached to our phones for a long time, it's almost automatic that we never care which carrier our friends are on. i agree that our GUI leaves much to be desired, but we've all gotten so accustomed to it it's almost second nature. regarding emoticons, don't scrap it until you've used it. the japanese use of emoticons is almost an art form and it can break or seal a conversation by the use of it. there are different conversations that demand different emoticons, or even a different color... i'm not sure if you'll understand but i'm sure somebody else would. anyways.

the iphone is a novelty. almost a "celebrity" item here in japan.
there's also a reason why we tend to like clamshells. we hate the idea that others can see who's calling on the other end, and we like the phone to extend to cover our mouths when we speak.

it's a cultural thing.

mavis
Aug 18, 2009, 04:44 PM
we've had e-mail accounts attached to our phones for a long time, it's almost automatic that we never care which carrier our friends are on.Translation: We have never been able to send inter-carrier SMS/MMS so we've had to accept the fact that phones in Japan need a dedicated "keitai-mail" address. That doesn't sound too great to me ... :confused:

i agree that our GUI leaves much to be desired, but we've all gotten so accustomed to it it's almost second nature.You've become accustomed to how bad it is? :(

regarding emoticons, don't scrap it until you've used it. the japanese use of emoticons is almost an art form and it can break or seal a conversation by the use of it. there are different conversations that demand different emoticons, or even a different color... i'm not sure if you'll understand but i'm sure somebody else would. anyways.First of all, there's no need to talk down to me, thanks. Second, I've lived in Japan long enough to know that many Japanese people use emoji to convey emotion in email. I think I figured that out within about an hour of getting my first mobile, six years ago. Third, my iPhone can send/receive emoji so it's kind of a moot point anyway, no?

the iphone is a novelty. almost a "celebrity" item here in japan.Interesting - I'm curious to see if you're right. Given the shackles SoftBank uses to lock people into their 26 months contracts, I suspect the 'iPhone effect' will simply snowball - as more people buy iPhones and more of their friends see how cool they are (easy to use, fun, convenient, etc) more people will buy them, etc. But I guess we'll see.
there's also a reason why we tend to like clamshells. we hate the idea that others can see who's calling on the other end, and we like the phone to extend to cover our mouths when we speak.

it's a cultural thing.Covering your mouth when you speak, being discreet in public? You know, I really wish you'd explain this to young people here in Tokyo, because that part of Japanese culture definitely seems to have been lost somewhere along the way ... ;)

samab
Aug 24, 2009, 04:59 PM
The iphone drops out of the top 10 a week later.

http://bcnranking.jp/category/subcategory_0010.html

mavis
Aug 24, 2009, 06:19 PM

The iphone drops out of the top 10 a week later.

http://bcnranking.jp/category/subcategory_0010.html

Jeez, that was quick! Guess SoftBank will have to start paying people to take iPhones -I mean, if FREE isn't working ... ;)

CanuckInJapan
Aug 24, 2009, 08:06 PM
Translation: We have never been able to send inter-carrier SMS/MMS so we've had to accept the fact that phones in Japan need a dedicated "keitai-mail" address. That doesn't sound too great to me ... :confused:

Just thought I'd mention that NHK ran a story in July about inter-carrier SMS support, scheduled to start in 2010. It seems the original NHK story has been removed from the site(?), but loads of J blogs are running the story.
Here's one example (http://ameblo.jp/shoukai-jp/entry-10304271164.html).
The article states that all four J carriers, AU, docomo, Softbank, and Emobile will support SMS mail between phone numbers from "next year".

As an aside, one site said this will make guys happy as they can then send mail to girls who only gave them their phone number, conversely, girls will not be a fan of this feature for the above reason...

Douglas Quaid
Aug 28, 2009, 10:06 AM
I sold my old iPhone to Mobile Phone Xchange (http://www.mobilephonexchange.co.uk/) to get the new one. I love 3GS :)