Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rend It

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
United States
Hi, a while ago my dog got a hold of my iPod earbuds and put a small dent in one of them. Recently, the one with dent has been sounding really garbled. So, I need a replacement. Evidently, you can't buy just the earbuds, but you have to buy earbuds+remote for $39. So since the in-ear phones cost the same, should I just get those. Or, is there an even better set of earbuds made by someone besides Apple?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
Depends...

It depends on what exactly you are after. Most consumers think the ipod earbuds are ok, although the reviews aren't stellar in general. You basically get what you pay for, and I the ipod buds are basically a $20 pair of plugs. If you don't use your ipod that much and just like the occasional tune, or if you don't mind a lower quality sound, then the ipod buds should be ok. If you are an audiophile, or if you just listen to your ipod frequently and higher sound quality does make a difference to you, I would suggest some Shure earphones. If your just starting to look into higher quality options, I would suggest starting with the Shure E2c, which you can get at eCost.com for about $60.

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
Try doing a search in the Forums section. There was a very recent thread about this.

Anyway, I hear that the in ear headphones are loved by some and loathed by others. In the thread, they also recommended some other brands that are a little more expensive, but you miught want to try them out.

Best wishes,
JOD8FY

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.