PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate No Fan Case, but not for Mac!!!

ACED
Jun 24, 2004, 09:04 AM
I need this case but isn't made for Macs, DAMN!

I hate dust and I hate FAN noise...I record music so this is a huge thing for me. I might have to go PC, thats how huge. Is there some equivalent for Macs?

http://www.quietpcusa.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=8&Product_ID=121&CATID=9

It looks ***** HOT! too.

edesignuk
Jun 24, 2004, 09:10 AM
Very "cool" ;) :D

But $1,195.95!?!?! :eek: :eek:

ACED
Jun 24, 2004, 09:21 AM
I would happily pay that. The alternative is housing in a machine room or box with lots of sound insulation, and long cables with video degradation.

There is no emoticon for how I feel, one that's salivating...

G5orbust
Jun 25, 2004, 02:03 AM
Amazing case. If only it was as cool looking outside as it is inside... Kind of a drab exterior. For 1200$ I expect some top notch styling.

Doraemon
Jun 25, 2004, 03:09 AM
If you know what you're doing, I'm sure you can put a Mac into that case. But it'll be a awful lot of work. But it'd be cool, unique and silent.

But while I am not into music recording, couldn't you just put the Mac into a different room than the room where you're actually recording?

ACED
Jun 25, 2004, 06:21 AM
Putting the computer in another room is the usual and necessary practice.

The extra expense of this is justifiable for large studios, though there are thousands of people with desktop studios...a silent computer is the ultimate and far less hassle...

This case is challenging enough to attach to a PC, so I wouldn't attempt to mod a Mac to fit. What if the motherboard won't fit?

I just have to have it...roll on Marklar.

krimson
Jun 25, 2004, 08:56 AM
I just read the waiver, and there's no way i'd spend $1200 for that, and have them completely not liable for the machine melting down. :p

Powerbook G5
Jun 25, 2004, 09:17 AM
So I guess if they add that little small print about not being liable for your computer overheating and causing damage, I guess they aren't all that confident in the quality of their claims and workmanship of the case.

SiliconAddict
Jun 25, 2004, 10:20 AM
So I guess if they add that little small print about not being liable for your computer overheating and causing damage, I guess they aren't all that confident in the quality of their claims and workmanship of the case.

Hardly. Its all about covering one's.....ass..ets. Look at Apple's ToA and I'm willing to bet they have disclaimers about how Apple's not liable if you lose any data on your Mac.

That being said heat pipe tech is pretty dang robust. I trust it a heck of a lot more then a fan which does ocasionally break down. What would have been better is if this case had a built in heat sensor which could detect if the CPU, GPU, and case reached a dangerous temp and then turned on the backup fans and dumped a warning onscreen with the included app that you install in Windows.

rendezvouscp
Jun 25, 2004, 09:05 PM
Very interesting case, but not surprised about the waiver. I was shocked (well, surprised) to see that in the manual for my new PowerShot A80 (Canon), they take no responsibility for the camera malfunctioning or not working at all. Paraphrasing, the camera may do anything and they are not responsible for what it does with your data. But when I flipped through my G5's manual (yes, I read every manual if I use the product), I don't think they said anything about losing data or such. But, that was last September ;).
–Chase

7on
Jun 26, 2004, 12:36 AM
you could always get a cube.

But I do hope Apple figures a way to make fanless wonders again.

Abstract
Jun 26, 2004, 01:04 AM
Isn't the G5 quite silent anyway? It may not be noiseless, but surely it isn't noisey by most standards.

ACED
Jun 26, 2004, 03:06 AM
Doesn't the G5 have 9 fans?

In my case, where I use sensitive mics, you'd be surprised at how loud that 'quiet' computer appears when recorded...

Re: reliabilty, I tend to think that heat pipes would have to last forever, whereas, as the say fans last only a couple of years...I have found out that P4s actually have a temp sensor which throttles back the speed once it hits 70C...I'd expect all CPUs these days would have something similar to stop the thing suffering heat stress.

I also like the thought of being to leave the computer on forever where there are no moving parts...other than the hard disk, and that is easy to relocate via firewire/USB if necessary...and no dust.

I hope that demand will eventually bring the price down for all computer users. LIke the floppy, can't wait for the demise of the FAN...

adamjay
Jun 26, 2004, 04:04 PM
There is no emoticon for how I feel, one that's salivating...

yea there is! http://www.kotichat.com/forum/html/emoticons/drool.gif

ACED
Jun 26, 2004, 11:50 PM
yea there is!

If you look closely, it appears to coming from a dripping nose ... if you can forgive me being picky...

Besides, not enough length in that fluid, to match my drool...no, definately droplets....

the challenge remains...

rendezvouscp
Jun 26, 2004, 11:52 PM
If you look closely, it appears to coming from a dripping nose ... if you can forgive me being picky...

LOL, pun intended?
–Chase

ACED
Jun 26, 2004, 11:52 PM
...could also be a disproportionately large tear...

adamjay
Jun 27, 2004, 03:56 AM

Besides, not enough length in that fluid, to match my drool...no, definately droplets....

the challenge remains...

smileys dont even have noses!!! eyes, mouths, sometimes eyebrows, sometimes tongues! :p but no noses.

i cannot forgive you, you are too picky.

ACED
Jun 27, 2004, 07:17 AM
smileys dont even have noses!!!

2D smileys don't appear to have a nose... On my authentic 60's fridge magnet 3D smiley, it has a symetrical and smoothly pointed round nose which casts no shadow. The eyes and mouth also sit proud of the facial surface.

and yes, that was an obvious attempt at a pun, earlier.

Back on topic, I have just sourced the cases here in Australia, and they are asking AUS$1232, which is less than the US$1200 price tag in the link above.

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/index.php?redir=http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_product_info.php?code=MU-VPDVBTPCI

Coolvirus007
Jun 27, 2004, 07:35 AM
Voodoo pcs use this same exact case! :eek: I though it was custom made. Interesting way to start spending my summer break.... :D :D

SpaceMagic
Jun 27, 2004, 07:36 AM
There are fanless macs out there, a few imacs are and of course the cube is super quiet.

My G5 has it's array of fans, they rarely make much noise... but you can hear them. The best computer i've come across is a Compaq Presario. We bought some for my dad's office and they are fast and very quiet - a pleasure to use.

These new liquid cooled G5s still have the complete set of fans, which makes sense :confused: Cooling over ram i suppose, etc.

stevehaslip
Jun 27, 2004, 08:38 AM
$1000+!!!! why would anyone pay that much for a case!!!! just stick it in another room if noise is an issue, spend $100 on cables if need be, nice idea but pricey!!!!! :eek:

ChrisFromCanada
Jun 27, 2004, 09:21 AM
Maybe I am making this up but I thought there was a case that you could put your G5 inside of to make it more quiet. I can't find it anywhere now. Must be making it up. :rolleyes:

rendezvouscp
Jun 27, 2004, 10:12 AM
Maybe I am making this up but I thought there was a case that you could put your G5 inside of to make it more quiet. I can't find it anywhere now. Must be making it up. :rolleyes:

No, you're not making it up, but I can't find it online after searching for 20 minutes :mad:. It's a case that you can put the whole computer into to make it quiet. Think it comes in G5, G4, and XServe flavors, but I'm not sure.
–Chase

virividox
Jun 27, 2004, 11:07 AM
it looks very industrial, its a bit steep tho

ACED
Jun 28, 2004, 01:09 AM
$1000+!!!! why would anyone pay that much for a case!!!! just stick it in another room if noise is an issue, spend $100 on cables if need be, nice idea but pricey!!!!! :eek:

Yeah, well I'm at a stage where I'm sick of endless upgrading, so I'm looking for a long term solution, where I can switch it on and forget it, like a hot water system. Long cables introduces noise and affects reliability. IDE cables can only go 18" so couldn't have removable HDDs nearby and I'd have to get up everytime I wanted to access the CDROM drive. Firewire and USB can only go 15 feet according to the specs

Besides, there isn't a nearby room where it wouldn't be very much in the way.

kjwebb
Jun 28, 2004, 03:02 AM
2D smileys don't appear to have a nose... On my authentic 60's fridge magnet 3D smiley, it has a symetrical and smoothly pointed round nose which casts no shadow. The eyes and mouth also sit proud of the facial surface.

and yes, that was an obvious attempt at a pun, earlier.

Back on topic, I have just sourced the cases here in Australia, and they are asking AUS$1232, which is less than the US$1200 price tag in the link above.

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/index.php?redir=http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_product_info.php?code=MU-VPDVBTPCI

???

Why have you linked to the damn VisionPlus DVB-T card (Which is only good if you use third-party software).

ACED
Jun 28, 2004, 05:36 AM
???

Why have you linked to the damn VisionPlus DVB-T card (Which is only good if you use third-party software).

Sorry:

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_product_info.php?code=CA-ZMTNN500A-P4&category_id=40

kjwebb
Jun 28, 2004, 05:52 AM
Sorry:

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_product_info.php?code=CA-ZMTNN500A-P4&category_id=40

Thanks. Looks interesting and more suited towards a case to hide away.

they take around 5 hours to build 5 Hours, now that makes it a joke.

And you better not have been thinking about getting the dodgy VisionPlus DVB-T Card (but that's another topic on another two forums).

daveg5
Jun 28, 2004, 06:13 AM
heres a cheaper solution, keep it in the same room and add more stuff, no dust or fingerprints or noise as the air is filtered in from the bottom and then out, they even have a quicktime video, there is enough room for external harddrives, burners, soundcards, along with custom silent cable guides/guards, very well thought out.
http://www.acoustilock.com/

ACED
Jun 29, 2004, 08:47 PM
heres a cheaper solution, keep it in the same room and add more stuff
http://www.acoustilock.com/

Great link, thanks...though I'm puzzled how they say "Intake air is brought into the box through an acoustic labyrinth, located on the bottom of the AcoustiLock" and out a similar labyrinth and in point#4 say it's a sealed box????

If I pyshoanalyse (spelling adhoc) myself, though, I think I have a deep hatred of the noisy, ineffient, low life, vibration causing fans.

ACED
Jun 29, 2004, 08:50 PM
...and I forgot dust...a computer is like a vacuum cleaner...thats what appeals to me about this case, dead silent and clean.

toughboy
Jun 29, 2004, 10:07 PM
you could always get a cube.

But I do hope Apple figures a way to make fanless wonders again.

Yes, this was the reply I was going to send after reading all of the other replies.. You can always get a 2nd hand cube.. Plus, if you do a little search via google, you can see that upgrading a cube with better processor and Wi-Fi and etc is much much easier and CHEAPER than buying that brick looking black Zalman thing (Gosh, what a name)..

Cube is lovely as its really quiet.. I wish Apple'd release the CubeG5 and I could buy it.. :rolleyes:

ACED
Jun 30, 2004, 08:37 AM
Cube is lovely as its really quiet.. I wish Apple'd release the CubeG5 and I could buy it.. :rolleyes:

I like the concept of the cube, but powerwise, its day has past...Programs I use need heaps of cpu horsepower to do multiple real-time plug-ins on multiple tracks, whilst playing synths with 1.5 ms latency.

The big limiter, though, is I need to have PCI slots to run an RME 9652 and UAD card...wonder how they would go in a Zalman case? with no case fan...