PDA

View Full Version : Podcast recorder, please tell me your set up, I tell you mine ; ) !!!

igmolinav
Aug 20, 2009, 09:15 AM
Hi,

Are you a podcast recorder?? Please tell me your setup : ) !!!

I am telling you mine with the hope that if you see any weaknesses in it you may want to comment on them : ) !!!

My podcasts only record voice and I may add a bit of music in the background.

ibook G4

I may buy a USB microphone from the following list:

A simple but with quality recording software like Garage Band or Audacity.
If you know of another software you may want to recommend. I doesn't
have to be so simple, as I am looking for quality in the recording. So it's ok if I learn to use another software.

A post recording software to clean the hiss. I get quite a bit of hiss on the recording itself, when people are talking on the recording. Perhaps you know of a good software to clean the hiss) ???

Thank you very much, very kind regards,

igmolinav.

salientstimulus
Aug 20, 2009, 06:57 PM
You mentioned Audacity, which I think is a good choice. There's an adaptive noise filter in there that is really handy for hiss removal: you select a silent region (where it's only hiss) and take a profile, then you can pull out hiss from the entire recording.

zimv20
Aug 20, 2009, 07:24 PM
A post recording software to clean the hiss. I get quite a bit of hiss on the recording itself, when people are talking on the recording. Perhaps you know of a good software to clean the hiss) ???

post-production cleanup will never work as well as not recording the problem in the first place. how bad is this hiss? what's causing it?

polaris20
Aug 20, 2009, 09:39 PM
You might want to get a decent but cheap USB interface along with a decent condenser mic, or perhaps something like the Blue Snowball (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EOPQ7E?ie=UTF8&tag=maco0c-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000EOPQ7E). That's a kit with the mini stand. It'll have a lot better sound quality with no hiss than a mic plugged into the Mac's audio input, or worse, the built-in microphone.