Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
Well, its been awhile since I posted in this area of the forums. Bad news first... unfortunately I had to sell all my wonderful Nikon gear because I needed the money. Not too sad, keep telling myself when I'm doing better again I can get newer and better Nikon gear.

Ok, now for the good news... I do want to go out and buy a camera. I'm looking for a fixed lens SLR or really good P&S. Hopefully finding the lowest amount of compromise from my old setup (even though there'll be a bit). One of the important things for me is having manual controls. I haven't used "shooting modes" in a while. That is the "Landscape, Portrait, Macro, Sports, etc." type settings. So far I've been looking up the offerings from Nikon, Fujifilm, Pentax, and Canon.

Here's what I've been looking at. Nikon Coolpix P6000 & P60. Fujifilm Finepix S200EXR & S1500. Pentax X70. Canon G11.

Would really like some feedback from those who own or have experience with the models... or any other good advice in general. I know a few of the models I'm looking at aren't available just yet. Not expecting much on them unless someone has some inside knowledge ;)

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Anything with CANON in the name is usually top notch. From your list I would get the G11, especially since they stopped with the crap of the megapixel race.

Nice, fat pixels = nice phat pics :D

Had a 30D, SD870 now an SD880 only. May sell it for a G11 since I'm tending to use my 3GS as my 'carry' camera lately.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
the camera with the least compromise is the Leica M8.

...other than that, there's the Olympus E-P1 or the Panasonic version whenever it comes out, followed by the Canon G10 and Panasonic LX3.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
the camera with the least compromise is the Leica M8.

...other than that, there's the Olympus E-P1 or the Panasonic version whenever it comes out, followed by the Canon G10 and Panasonic LX3.

My fear with the EP-1 is the cost of ownership seems on par with a DSLR, so it seems more for people who do not want the bulk? It could just be me. It seems like a great camera for serious shooters who don't always want to be dragging around the full SLR.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Canon for P&S, I wouldn't use a Nikon P&S and I shoot Nikon DSLRs. The G11 is the camera I'd choose unless you want to drop your wad on Leica.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
G11 or G10. The G10 was awesome for DSLR features in a P&S. Of course I haven't used a G11 yet, but I'd bet it's just as good, if not better.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
The new G11 is definitely a front runner, but I've also become very interested in Fujifilm. The new S200EXR looks interesting, but unfortunately its not out yet, so don't think too many have any experience with it.

To the Leica M8 comment... I wish I could afford an M8. Although if I could, I'd probably just load up again on some awesome new Nikon gear. I'm still in no financial position to spend that kinda money.

The EP1 does seem on par with average consumer DSLRs in terms of cost of ownership. Its also has interchangeable lenses, which is not what I'm looking for. I don't want to invest in a new set up. I'm really just looking for an "all-in-one" in terms of body and lens, seeing as I plan to invest in Nikon gear in the future.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
The EP1 does seem on par with average consumer DSLRs in terms of cost of ownership. Its also has interchangeable lenses, which is not what I'm looking for. I don't want to invest in a new set up. I'm really just looking for an "all-in-one" in terms of body and lens, seeing as I plan to invest in Nikon gear in the future.

well, I thought I'd mention that because it's the compact with the least compromise (and a price tag < $1000). maybe they'll come out with a cheaper, fixed lens version...

if you want "all-in-one," I guess G10/G11 is what you're looking for.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
G11 or G10. The G10 was awesome for DSLR features in a P&S. Of course I haven't used a G11 yet, but I'd bet it's just as good, if not better.

G11 or G9. Skip the G10 all together. You can tell by Canon releasing the G11 with fewer MP that they realized more MP = more noise, finally! The G11 is coming back down to where the sensor size v MP should be. It's not there yet, but it is closer.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Like someone said earlier, if you're considering a G11, then why not get a used D40 and a cheaper lens or two. That way you'll have a backup body when you get back into Nikon DSLR's.

That'd make the most sense to me.

SLC

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Like someone said earlier, if you're considering a G11, then why not get a used D40 and a cheaper lens or two. That way you'll have a backup body when you get back into Nikon DSLR's.

I'm considering this option a little at the moment, but probably won't end up going that way.

By the way, I'm curious what you guys think of the Sigma DP2. It appears to have a fixed focal length or am I wrong? If so, aside from that, how does it perform?

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
By the way, I'm curious what you guys think of the Sigma DP2. It appears to have a fixed focal length or am I wrong? If so, aside from that, how does it perform?

I don't have personal experience, but everyone says it's got a great sensor but is unbelievably slow.

and yeah, it has a fixed-focal lens. 40mm?

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Ok, now for the good news... I do want to go out and buy a camera. I'm looking for a fixed lens SLR or really good P&S. Hopefully finding the lowest amount of compromise from my old setup (even though there'll be a bit). One of the important things for me is having manual controls. I haven't used "shooting modes" in a while. That is the "Landscape, Portrait, Macro, Sports, etc." type settings. So far I've been looking up the offerings from Nikon, Fujifilm, Pentax, and Canon.

Here's what I've been looking at. Nikon Coolpix P6000 & P60. Fujifilm Finepix S200EXR & S1500. Pentax X70. Canon G11.

A fixed lens SLR? That doesn't exist. I think you meant prosumer P&S, yes? As others have said, a G11 will be like 5 hundo, why not just pick up a used DSLR?

feuerschlange

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
Very good cameras PS wise are made by Canon - I just bought a few Canon 780IS for my family. These cameras area great for quick shooting with little knowledge about setting exposure manually.

I use a Ricoh GRDII with external big viewfinder for some BW street shooting next to my Nikon SLR system.

It is the ergonomically best option available on the market, which comes my D3 the closest in direct controlls and customizability of external, direct controls.

It has an optically astonishing 28mm equivalent prime lens with max aperture of f2.4.

Ricoh makes this body also with a very good zoom lens, when this is more your thing. It has the same very good external controls for all manual exposure settings.

It is very worth a look. Ricoh just introduced the GRDIII, which looks very promising but is on the expensive side for a PS camera.

The other very good cameras are the Canon Gxx series and the Panasonic LX3.

Because of the superiour direct controls, buttons and very small rubberised magnesium body, I take the GRDII over the others.

You could also look into buying a nowadays very cheap professional MF film system + Scanner.
I see starting kits with a Nikon MF body + two f1.8 primes for ~200 - 300 USD.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
A fixed lens SLR? That doesn't exist. I think you meant prosumer P&S, yes? As others have said, a G11 will be like 5 hundo, why not just pick up a used DSLR?

Really? I thought thats what they called those SLR cameras that have a fixed lens attached to them? For example the Fujifilm S200EXR that's coming out.

I've been doing more research this evening. Looking at the Sigma DP2, I think there's a bit more compromise than I'd like to do. Not sure how I feel about the fixed focal length. Also, sounds like the autofocus is painfully slow and loud to boot. Although there seems to be little argument that it can take wonderful pictures.

So, at the moment I'm really interested in the Canon G11 and Panasonic LX3. They seem to have excellent build quality, from the reviews. Do they have the magnesium frames? Well, I suppose if the G10, the G11 will too. Figure I might as well get a decently built camera. Who knows what might happen, haha. Also how's the autofocus on the G series and he LX3?

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Really? I thought thats what they called those SLR cameras that have a fixed lens attached to them? For example the Fujifilm S200EXR that's coming out.

I've been doing more research this evening. Looking at the Sigma DP2, I think there's a bit more compromise than I'd like to do. Not sure how I feel about the fixed focal length. Also, sounds like the autofocus is painfully slow and loud to boot. Although there seems to be little argument that it can take wonderful pictures.

No, those aren't SLRs. They have one lens, yes, but so do all other compact cameras. They lack a reflex mirror and instead have electronic viewfinders. Not the same at all in speed or image quality. Olympus did make fixed-lens SLRs back in the days of film - the is-2000 for example.

Could you explain why you don't want to get an inexpensive DSLR? Perhaps we would be able to better advise then. If you want reasonably small but the pen is overbudget then how about the olympus E-420/430 with the 25mm pancake?

What are you going to use this for? What did you have before, kit wise?

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Could you explain why you don't want to get an inexpensive DSLR? Perhaps we would be able to better advise then. If you want reasonably small but the pen is overbudget then how about the olympus E-420/430 with the 25mm pancake?

What are you going to use this for? What did you have before, kit wise?

Well, mainly in a DSLR, I don't want the bulk at the moment. Being able to only to afford one camera at the moment, I'd rather have something that I'm more easily able to carry with me for random photo opportunities.

Mainly I want to use for "everything" that being taking any kinds of photos its capable of. Landscapes, friends/family, street photos, etc. Just want to be able to carry the camera around relatively easily.

My kit before was a D300 with some professional glass. I always meant to buy a P&S because I didn't always want to lug that gear around. Now that I have no camera, I figure I might as well get one thats easy to take with me so I can keep it when I buy a new DSLR in the future.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
In that case, good luck with it! I like the LX-3, but the zoom is pretty short and the lens sticks out - but - it has 24mm! Also check out the new Canon S90.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
If you're considering the LX-3, you should also take a look at the Fujifilm F200EXR, to see which one you prefer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.