PDA

View Full Version : SlingPlayer Mobile 1.1 Appears in App Store

MacRumors
Aug 20, 2009, 09:19 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/20/slingplayer-mobile-1-1-appears-in-app-store/)

Several readers have informed us that SlingPlayer Mobile 1.1 [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=309280605&mt=8), $29.99] has appeared in the App Store. As we profiled last week (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/11/slingplayer-mobile-1-1-to-bring-dish-remote-access-widescreen-viewing/), the update adds several new features, including support for 16x9 widescreen video and remote control integration with DISH Network.What's New in this Version
- Full 16x9 widescreen support (Slingbox SOLO, PRO, and PRO-HD only)
- DISH Remote Access integration (DISH Network users only)
- Faster start and channel change
- Improved remote control interfaceUnfortunately, SlingPlayer Mobile still only allows streaming over Wi-Fi, maintaining a limitation imposed on the initial version at the request of AT&T (http://www.macrumors.com/2009/05/12/atandt-releases-statement-on-lack-of-3g-streaming-for-upcoming-slingplayer-mobile/), which feared that allowing such uses on its 3G network would lead to congestion and service disruptions.

Article Link: SlingPlayer Mobile 1.1 Appears in App Store (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/20/slingplayer-mobile-1-1-appears-in-app-store/)

dbell
Aug 20, 2009, 09:51 PM
Everything but the one thing everyone wants. Great jorb!

djinn
Aug 20, 2009, 11:23 PM
Don't blame Dish Network/Sling, blame the network.

IBradMac
Aug 20, 2009, 11:25 PM
Congestion?

Wait until MMS is released. :eek:

scirica
Aug 21, 2009, 12:40 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

So far the update looks really good. Nice to have the full screen utilized!

djinn
Aug 21, 2009, 12:57 AM
Congestion?

Wait until MMS is released. :eek:

You didn't hear? You can only send MMS only over Wi-Fi. :p

spaceballl
Aug 21, 2009, 01:43 AM
Hopefully this fixes my connection issues - I can connect to my slingbox no problem w/ the desktop client - nothing but problems when I try w/ my iPhone client - so annoying...

spaceballl
Aug 21, 2009, 01:43 AM
Grrr... updated to 1.1. My desktop client streams no problem! And my iphone client... says it can't connect. Well done, Sling!

severe
Aug 21, 2009, 01:54 AM
Edit:

Read about lack of gesture control in the Customer Reviews.

Updated to 1.1 and ct2000 set me straight.

ct2000
Aug 21, 2009, 02:25 AM
check your settings it now a toggle on/off for channel swipe and fav's swipe

severe
Aug 21, 2009, 03:59 AM
check your settings it now a toggle on/off for channel swipe and fav's swipe

Thanks.

DavePurz
Aug 21, 2009, 04:03 AM
Is this latest update compatible with the original "Classic" Slingbox?

The 1.0 version requires you to buy a new box and that ain't gonna' happen!

ipoppy
Aug 21, 2009, 04:23 AM
Grrr... updated to 1.1. My desktop client streams no problem! And my iphone client... says it can't connect. Well done, Sling!

Have you enable 5100 port for streaming outside your network?

dizzyp
Aug 21, 2009, 06:15 AM
Does anyone know, now with dish network integration in this version, do you still need a slingbox for this app, or will it work directly with Dish Network box (VIP722) that has "sling" integration?

lsbuffs
Aug 21, 2009, 07:15 AM

I was having a similar issue. Would sometimes take 4-5 login in attempts before the streaming would start (would just sit at 'connecting') Based on some limited testing, so far (knock on wood) I haven't experienced that problem with 1.1.

shiseiryu1
Aug 21, 2009, 09:51 AM
I want external video out as a feature in the next release so I can watch TV using my Myvu glasses! :)

Blue Fox
Aug 21, 2009, 11:53 AM
Everything but the one thing everyone wants. Great jorb!

I'd rather SlingBox users not cause the rest of us to have cell network issues because they want to watch TV everywhere they go. And it's not just AT&T, Verizon and other networks would have the same issues/restrictions.

blizaine
Aug 21, 2009, 01:35 PM
Does anyone know, now with dish network integration in this version, do you still need a slingbox for this app, or will it work directly with Dish Network box (VIP722) that has "sling" integration?

I'd like to know the same thing. I've got the VIP722 also, but no Slingbox (yet).

coolbreeze
Aug 21, 2009, 03:53 PM
Works great for me. My Dish ViP722 is much easier to control now!

Boomchukalaka
Aug 21, 2009, 03:53 PM
What a crock!!

My brother bought Slingbox Mobile for his Blackberry Bold and it works great. His network: AT&T

AT&T is pathetic.

Please, please, please Apple, listen to your customer base and open up your devices to other networks. Let the people decide who they want to support with their hard earned cash and let free market competition settle this.

mgamber
Aug 21, 2009, 04:11 PM
Is this latest update compatible with the original "Classic" Slingbox?

The 1.0 version requires you to buy a new box and that ain't gonna' happen!

1.0 did no such thing, nor was "required" ever stated by Sling Media. The original box isn't supported but it does work. Works in 1.1, worked in 1.0.

dizzyp
Aug 21, 2009, 04:51 PM
Works great for me. My Dish ViP722 is much easier to control now!
Do you have a slingbox connected to your VIP772 or are you able to access the VIP directly without a sling box?

bossxii
Aug 21, 2009, 05:11 PM
I'd rather SlingBox users not cause the rest of us to have cell network issues because they want to watch TV everywhere they go. And it's not just AT&T, Verizon and other networks would have the same issues/restrictions.

If AT&T as well as the rest of the US based carriers would keep up with the rest of the world with 4g or at least faster 3g vs sucking up the profits while keeping just enough bandwidth open to not piss everyone off, none of this would even be an issue. MMS, Tethering, Slingplayer, Orb, Pandora etc..

iPhone users are stuck and AT&T knows it so they just drag ass because they know most of the people are not going to switch. Bandwidth isn't the issue, they have the spectrum to make it, they clearly have the subscriber base paying them 30 a month for data they barely use. They need to step up and join the rest of the world. They are finally looking to roll out 7.2 mb service... welcome to 2008 AT&T wohoo!

severe
Aug 21, 2009, 05:27 PM
iPhone users are stuck and AT&T knows it so they just drag ass because they know most of the people are not going to switch. Bandwidth isn't the issue, they have the spectrum to make it, they clearly have the subscriber base paying them 30 a month for data they barely use. They need to step up and join the rest of the world. They are finally looking to roll out 7.2 mb service... welcome to 2008 AT&T wohoo!

Agreed. I can speak for myself and many others. I've used an average of roughly 300MB of data transfer per month, for the past 2 years, and I'm still limited to what applications can be used on their network. It's incredible.

So much for "unlimited data".

chriszzz
Aug 21, 2009, 05:38 PM

Well to put it bluntly, I don't really care.

I pay for unlimited data and I want to use it. If AT&T can't handle it, thats their problem, not mine.

daytonaviolet
Aug 21, 2009, 07:35 PM
Well to put it bluntly, I don't really care.

I pay for unlimited data and I want to use it. If AT&T can't handle it, thats their problem, not mine.

i agree with you. until ATT opens up 3G for slingbox, they are cheating us when they claim unlimited data. thats why im running 3G unrestrictor with my slingbox all day... eventhough i have wifi available :)

severe
Aug 21, 2009, 09:30 PM
i agree with you. until ATT opens up 3G for slingbox, they are cheating us when they claim unlimited data. thats why im running 3G unrestrictor with my slingbox all day... eventhough i have wifi available :)

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. The app will give better results with Wi-Fi. I use unrestrictor when there's no Wi-Fi available, which is often.

chriszzz
Aug 21, 2009, 10:58 PM

I'll be doing the same once I get my SlingBox up and running again.

scirica
Aug 24, 2009, 12:38 PM
Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. The app will give better results with Wi-Fi. I use unrestrictor when there's no Wi-Fi available, which is often.

Same here...3G Unrestrictor is great when I'm away from wifi, but the video quality is better when wifi is available. And I've gotten nowhere near to any 5gb download cap since using Sling over 3G.

spaceballl
Aug 26, 2009, 02:42 AM
Have you enable 5100 port for streaming outside your network?
Yeah - the desktop client works great outside of my network.
I was having a similar issue. Would sometimes take 4-5 login in attempts before the streaming would start (would just sit at 'connecting') Based on some limited testing, so far (knock on wood) I haven't experienced that problem with 1.1.
I still have it :(

scirica
Aug 26, 2009, 01:20 PM
Yeah - the desktop client works great outside of my network.

I still have it :(

That's a real stumper...Has Sling Support bean any help at all (no, I'm not joking, really)?

V1.1 is a great improvement over 1.0...I hope you get to experience it soon!

martinmartin
Aug 29, 2009, 09:36 AM
In order to get High Quality, should you:

1) Press SQ so that HQ is highlighted and SQ is grayed out or
2) Press HQ so that SQ is highlighted and HQ is grayed out ??

I'm guessing 1 but neither seems intuitive.

Thanks

scirica
Aug 29, 2009, 11:25 PM
In order to get High Quality, should you:

1) Press SQ so that HQ is highlighted and SQ is grayed out or
2) Press HQ so that SQ is highlighted and HQ is grayed out ??

I'm guessing 1 but neither seems intuitive.

Thanks

If HQ is "bright" that means the button is available to toggle on and you are currently in SQ mode. Press the HQ button, it will fade and you are now going into HQ mode. It is a little confusing.

severe
Aug 30, 2009, 05:02 AM
No offense guys, but wouldn't have trying one of the other icons been a clue?

You know, the letterbox icon displays letterbox when it's dimmed, so therefore...

It's not rocket science. How'd ya do on your SATs? ;)